Quantcast
What is the point in digital hardware synths? - Page 26 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the point in digital hardware synths?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➡️
Wow, I think this has just won the "I don't know what the hell I am talking about" post of the year.
Show me the demos smart guy, or GTFO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatflux ➡️
Show me the demos smart guy, or GTFO.

Thought I would quote this bit off of your profile before you go on ignore:

What a nice guy.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the point in digital hardware synths?-screenshot_774.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It's utterly mind-numbing to have someone with 22k posts come into every thread pretending to be an expert, when they can't even hear the difference between synths.
Ahh... I love it when synth topics begin to read like power cable shootout threads.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
The worst problems I ever had with my back was when I worked with a workstation keyboard and a rack of synths and effects. Currently my situation is the best as it forces me to change positions often. I have the computer with a trackball (no hand cramping) three monitors, desk full of synths and a drum machine, a rack of a few synths and under it the PolyBrute.
I frequently use a medicine ball as a studio chair. It is a bit bouncy and rolls so I am always moving slightly. The spine and low back is always shifting slightly and that uses different muscles and helps keep a good blood flow. I think that sitting in a completely static posture, even a good one, can become problematic for a lot of people.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
just messing around flipping the card really
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 ➡️
Thats not what he said.
"at the end of the day it has that same VSTi sound that every other VSTi has except for romplers/samplers that run off of analog wavetables"

"pretending to be an expert, when they can't even hear the difference between synths"

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
I frequently use a medicine ball as a studio chair. It is a bit bouncy and rolls so I am always moving slightly. The spine and low back is always shifting slightly and that uses different muscles and helps keep a good blood flow. I think that sitting in a completely static posture, even a good one, can become problematic for a lot of people.
Actual footage of me at work.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 ➡️
Indeed, and ultimately an audience doesnt care either way.

Digital, analogue...suntractive, wavetable...hardwaew, software. Thete is a place for thrm all. They have different strengths and weaknesss.

Non of them are more important than music created with then. Emotiin created by the composer far outsrips what is used to generate that.

The q in the op was is there a point to digital hardware synths. Tha answer is simple, yes. Why? Anyone who doesnt own or want to use a pc needs them. That might be preference, need... but those users need them.

The conversation about "better" is pointless. Very few things are "better" in every way, and better us always subjective anyway.
This could really be the only post in this thread after the first one.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
"at the end of the day it has that same VSTi sound that every other VSTi has except for romplers/samplers that run off of analog wavetables"

"pretending to be an expert, when they can't even hear the difference between synths"

The second quote is especially ironic. One only has to watch the Starsky Carr Model D shootout video to hear how different several plugins are that are specifically going for the same goal. To think that Serum sounds like Dune, or any other wavetable plugin or hardware synth is even more ridiculous, and points out how biased he is.

I feel like a lot of his kind tried a plugin in 2002 and formed an indelible opinion that’ll never change. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but it makes you sound like an idiot in a serious conversation. I’m not sure how he managed to get “he can’t hear the difference,” from my original statement, which was that I heard a very clear difference and picked the one I likes more.” Why he thinks that has to be the same as his pick is mind boggling. He must live a very sad and narrow existence.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years

Plugins don't sound all the same, come on, actually i think there are some that share some kind of programming and seem to sound the same, but damn, there is nothing in the earth that sounds like Massive X
I use it in conjunction with a couple of mono analog and a modular (and a Virus Polar) and it just sounds as good, different yeah, but so good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The second quote is especially ironic. One only has to watch the Starsky Carr Model D shootout video to hear how different several plugins are that are specifically going for the same goal. To think that Serum sounds like Dune, or any other wavetable plugin or hardware synth is even more ridiculous, and points out how biased he is.

I feel like a lot of his kind tried a plugin in 2002 and formed an indelible opinion that’ll never change. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but it makes you sound like an idiot in a serious conversation. I’m not sure how he managed to get “he can’t hear the difference,” from my original statement, which was that I heard a very clear difference and picked the one I likes more.” Why he thinks that has to be the same as his pick is mind boggling. He must live a very sad and narrow existence.
Look at his profile, it seems he is a Hitler loving, racist baby hater.

So not just synths he has a problem with!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➡️
Look at his profile, it seems he is a Hitler loving, racist baby hater.

So not just synths he has a problem with!
It's probably a troll account created to provoke people in anyway possible. Seems like it's working.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The second quote is especially ironic. One only has to watch the Starsky Carr Model D shootout video to hear how different several plugins are that are specifically going for the same goal.
Why didn't he sell it then?

I find it funny that pros all use hardware as a secret weapon, even the influencer guys have massive collections and they'll try to hide it all day.
"They both sound great in their own way." Bull**** I say.

There's 11,000 electrical components in a Korg Prologue, do you really think that programmers are going to emulate them all?

Roland can't even get their own clones to have the same sound as the originals, and they have the schematics to them. People are salivating at the thought of having a Juno-6, maybe there's a reason for that and it's not just nostalgia?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
… People are salivating at the thought of having a Juno-6, maybe there's a reason for that and it's not just nostalgia?
Facebook/YouTube likes, self assurance, and the warmth of a fellow gearslut rubbing up against your bottom. That’s why.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why didn't he sell it then?

I find it funny that pros all use hardware as a secret weapon, even the influencer guys have massive collections and they'll try to hide it all day.
"They both sound great in their own way." Bull**** I say.

There's 11,000 electrical components in a Korg Prologue, do you really think that programmers are going to emulate them all?

Roland can't even get their own clones to have the same sound as the originals, and they have the schematics to them. People are salivating at the thought of having a Juno-6, maybe there's a reason for that and it's not just nostalgia?
This is not analog vs digital thread!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
It's probably a troll account created to provoke people in anyway possible. Seems like it's working.
Naa, I don't think it's working, he keeps writing the same old stereotype about analog vs digital.
That's because he doesn't make music with synths IMHO, actually it seems he doesn't know what he is talking about.
I think the common sense of this thread is that people who really like making music with synth will enjoy almost every well made synth, being it hardware or software, then there are subjective preferecies about the way one choose to create music, some want hardware some are ok with software, both are right as soon as they can make music they like.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9k ➡️
Naa, I don't think it's working, he keeps writing the same old stereotype about analog vs digital.
That's because he doesn't make music with synths IMHO, actually it seems he doesn't know what he is talking about.
I think the common sense of this thread is that people who really like making music with synth will enjoy almost every well made synth, being it hardware or software, then there are subjective preferecies about the way one choose to create music, some want hardware some are ok with software, both are right as soon as they can make music they like.
Common sense is that different hardware, firmware, and software will yield different results.

People want to try and pretend like they are the same.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
I frequently use a medicine ball as a studio chair.
Really useful this ball, it can make your pain disappear if used even 10 minutes a day.
Also 10 minutes yoga stretching is a must for me.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Really useful this ball, it can make your pain disappear if used even 10 minutes a day.
Also 10 minutes yoga stretching is a must for me.
Meditation also helps clear the mind of all internet bu11sheite: causes too much build up of tension in the back
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunrgguy ➡️
Meditation also helps clear the mind of all internet bu11sheite: causes too much build up of tension in the back
I won’t bore anyone with the details, but I had to give up playing music for a few months back in the early ‘00s due to severe back issues. I tried everything, including using a dual pedal foot-mouse thing (Super difficult) and physical therapy (limited duration results). I’m a graphic designer, so I just assumed it was ergonomics and an injury from moving a pro Beta video deck. While those things may have contributed to my issue in some way, it actually ended up being mental stress. A friend recommended a book by Dr. John Sarno called “Healing Back Pain.” Normally I dismiss things like that, but I was at the end of my rope. It literally fixed my problem in minutes by pointing to emotional causes to chronic back pain. My shoulder hurt because my brain had a conflict between wanting to punch a coworker and knowing that punching a coworker was a bad idea.
Lives for gear

Quote:
My shoulder hurt because my brain had a conflict between wanting to punch a coworker and knowing that punching a coworker was a bad idea.
How many times did you punch them before your back improved?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

(The guy actually disappeared. He was schtooping a coworker behind his wife’s back and when the wife found out he just stopped coming to work. He was quite a prince. Our conflict was that he was doing graphic design for our clients because he thought it looked “fun,” and then blaming me for his crap work. I remember getting called in to my boss’s office to explain why something looked so bad and I’d never seen it before.)
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Jabs didn’t work but once he moved to hooks, plenty of body rotation, it fixed it good and proper.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No vsti that i know of sounds as emotional and physical as my Monomachine. And i like how it looks and feels.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➡️
No vsti that i know of sounds as emotional and physical as my Monomachine. And i like how it looks and feels.
For a while, the core of my setup was a MONOMACHINE and MACHINEDRUM and the only emotions that I can remember about them were anger and frustration. The best physical sensation that I got from them was packing them up to send to their new owners. I loved the sound, though. I still use some of the samples in my RYTM.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For a while, the core of my setup was a MONOMACHINE and MACHINEDRUM and the only emotions that I can remember about them were anger and frustration. The best physical sensation that I got from them was packing them up to send to their new owners. I loved the sound, though. I still use some of the samples in my RYTM.
I also sold my MD but bc im not into beats.

What made you feel anger and frustration?

Last edited by dotl; 6 days ago at 10:40 PM..
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➡️
I also sold my MD but bc im into beats.

What made you feel anger and frustration?
I felt like the interface was so clunky. Just a simple thing like auditioning a sound took too many button presses. I felt like after a year I still wasn’t feeling it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What would you like to bet? Do you have a moog one?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Way off topic I'll tell ya about some hardware not to buy: anything made by behringer after they moved their operations from Germany to chiner folks

¡'All Hail Kurzweil!'¡'Long Live V.A.S.T. !' Thanx for your genius RayK.&HalC.
📝 Reply