Waldorf M Synthesizer - Page 58 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf M Synthesizer
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole w Legs ➡️
Got my delivered M last evening, played around with it a bit sequencing with a Deluge and a side of Pro 3 and I gotta say, this synth totally exceeded my expectations and the Pro-3 and the M are like peanut butter and jelly. The sound.... the sound is so incredible and to me, this synth was worth ever penny.
Now to go and update the OS.
That's funny, I compared the M to peanut butter a few posts back, because it could be crunchy and smooth...!

Now just to confirm, can the M load original Microwave I presets as is, or does anything need to be changed?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz ➡️
That's funny, I compared the M to peanut butter a few posts back, because it could be crunchy and smooth...!

Now just to confirm, can the M load original Microwave I presets as is, or does anything need to be changed?
The M load these single sound banks fine via SysEx. But the problem are sounds using the userwavetables of the original microWave. At the moment it is not possible to dump them into the M too. And there is no way I am aware of to get these userwavetables into the M.
The M just „eats“ kind of sampled wavetables and not the pure data of waves and their position in the wavetable.

But all other sounds are transferred so well into the M. OK, the filter might give some sounds a different character, but I prefer this new character even more, as it is the PPG wave 2.2/3 filter character.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The M can load original MW1 single sound and MW1 soundbank sysex. The M can't load MW1 card dump sysex, neither MW1 user control table sysex and MW1 user waves sysex. The M can't load any of MW2 sysex.

I am working to present a little app or either script which converts the full card dump sysex of MW1 into a set of a) M soundbank file + b) M Multisbank file + c) M user wavetable(s) file(s). This should cover the compatibility almost fully. Almost - because it's also *COULD* be user velocity tables and user tuning tables, which M does not support for the moment.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladiS ➡️
Interesting option. I will check how feasible it is on the DSP level. No promises here as in principle it would require a moderate amount of extra calculations to implement this properly. Should sometimes try this, but no promises here. Theoretically, it could be done as a hidden third "randomness-madness" modulator under global amount control as one option.
Thank you for the idea
Vladimir
Adding this feature would be terrific. Fingers crossed!
Old 4 days ago
Preaching to the choir but M sounds amazing. really enjoying the presets and some sounds from scratch.
triggering with Midi from John Bowen Solaris. Boy those two layered together are insane
Couple issues / critiques so far

- The LFO button has a small chip visible on the top, Im hoping this can be fixed in the field instead of shipping it off

- Seem to be getting some sporadic click/pop sounds in the audio path sometimes in Poly Mode when using multiple voices (4 -5 or so). Anyone notice this?
EDIT- Turns out this was an issue with my DAW Monitering not the outputs. Phew!

- Using Solaris if Sysex Control send is on , any paramater movement causes M’s screen to flash crazily

- this synth demands a keyboard version with more accessibility! Theres a lot of really awkward diving around with the encoders that is not awesome.

- Would be amazing if touching parameters/ sections automatically brought up its corresponding page on screen

-OSC1 /2 as Mod Source
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan G ➡️
- Would be amazing if touching parameters/ sections automatically brought up its corresponding page on screen
Vladimir Salnikov (here named "VladiS"), the main developer of the M, just wrote here before, that this won't be possible due to the too slow connection of the display to the CPU.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
The M can load original MW1 single sound and MW1 soundbank sysex. The M can't load MW1 card dump sysex, neither MW1 user control table sysex and MW1 user waves sysex. The M can't load any of MW2 sysex.

I am working to present a little app or either script which converts the full card dump sysex of MW1 into a set of a) M soundbank file + b) M Multisbank file + c) M user wavetable(s) file(s). This should cover the compatibility almost fully. Almost - because it's also *COULD* be user velocity tables and user tuning tables, which M does not support for the moment.
I'm sorry for my ignorance but what are User control tables, velocity tables and tuning tables?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
You could make your own velocity curves and tuning tables on MWI.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ford ➡️
I'm sorry for my ignorance but what are User control tables, velocity tables and tuning tables?
The Microwave I had the ability to define user velocity curves in addition to the six defaults. I think this isn't particularly useful nowadays given that controllers often handle the same thing on their side. I suppose someone might use it somewhere, but would be pretty low priority.

The Microwave I also had the ability to provide user tunings for each MIDI note, in addition to four defaults. This was proprietary sysex and has long since been obsoleted by the MIDI Tuning Standard, and by Scala files, which do the same thing. I'd just implement MTS.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai ➡️

The Microwave I also had the ability to provide user tunings for each MIDI note, in addition to four defaults. This was proprietary sysex and has long since been obsoleted by the MIDI Tuning Standard, and by Scala files, which do the same thing. I'd just implement MTS.
+1
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ford ➡️
User control tables - used to make user wavetables based upon either factory or user waveforms in Microwave 1.
User velocity tables - used to make user velocity mapping tables.
User tuning tables - used to make microtonal tuning on the Microwave 1.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Next batch of M?

Does anyone knows if there is an approximate date when the next batch of M will be sent out to dealers?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuw ➡️
Does anyone knows if there is an approximate date when the next batch of M will be sent out to dealers?
I preordered out of the gate and it's looking like a month. At the same store regular stock shows availability in several months.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What country are you in? It seems rather dependent on that
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
True, just doing a search shows some places might have them in stock right now?

https://www.americanmusical.com/wald...sc_intid=WDF+M
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Im in Sweden
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
True, just doing a search shows some places might have them in stock right now?
Yeah, a few places in the US have them in stock still. Check Reverb.com
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Im in Sweden
According to Reverb.com there is a place in Italy and in Belgium that have an M in stock.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
According to Reverb.com there is a place in Italy and in Belgium that have an M in stock.
I allready have one on order more of a general question if they are making and getting them to retailers
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I allready have one on order more of a general question if they are making and getting them to retailers
Yes, we do. Hope we can deliver the next batch within a month or so. It can vary because of the supply chain but generally, we did not stop production, just awaiting some components which shall arrive soon. As I explained before, in the brave new world it's very unpredictable and we are competing for the components with much bigger companies. But it's our new reality, hope it will be fixed somehow in 2022.

Greetings from Remagen
Vladimir
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder if mine is on the way. I was told they would be in stock in November and they charged my card this morning. I’m hoping it’s on the way. I’ll check back on the status Monday to see if there’s any shipping info. None at this moment.
Old 14 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, we do. Hope we can deliver the next batch within a month or so. It can vary because of the supply chain but generally, we did not stop production, just awaiting some components which shall arrive soon. As I explained before, in the brave new world it's very unpredictable and we are competing for the components with much bigger companies. But it's our new reality, hope it will be fixed somehow in 2022.

Greetings from Remagen
Vladimir
Thanks for the info
Kind Regards
Fleuw
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's good to know! In the meantime I am hearing from Sonic Freaks, etc. that they are adapting their MW1 presets for use with the M.

Another question: So I have had my M for two weeks, and have been going thru the presets and adding PolyAT modulation all over the place; VCF, LFOs, OSC1 (pressure to lower the pitch slightly) etc., OMFG! it sounds amazing. One thing I have noticed is that it is simple to save the edited preset either in the same place or elsewhere, but after you save it you then have to hit "Cancel" to get back to the previous page. Would it be possible for that to happen immediately after you hit "OK"? It seems like an unnecessary step.

And thanks for incorporating polyAT as a modulation source, three years now and Moog hasn't yet done that for the One...

I also recommend not running the M thru a good chorus, you may not be able to return from the quantum realm!
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I also recommend not running the M thru a good chorus, you may not be able to return from the quantum realm!
I finally tried a few ambient type M presets of mine through a touch of reverb... sounded so beautiful!

Then I went back to dry cause I don't want to get distracted.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

One thing I have noticed is that it is simple to save the edited preset either in the same place or elsewhere, but after you save it you then have to hit "Cancel" to get back to the previous page. Would it be possible for that to happen immediately after you hit "OK"? It seems like an unnecessary step.
….
1+

You are not alone feeling like this. And I can‘t remember another synth staying in SAVE mode after you saved the patch.

Last edited by qwave; 41 minutes ago at 07:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 53 minutes ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwave ➡️
1+

You are not alone feeling like this. And I can‘t remember another synth sting in SAVE mode after you saved the patch.
Marzzz, qwave

it was done to allow saving several copies of the same patch into different slots, not to quitting from the Save screen. However, I could add the UI option to quit from the Save screen immediately after pressing OK and saving.

Greetings
Vladimir
📝 Reply