Quantcast
Waldorf M Synthesizer - Page 51 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf M Synthesizer
Old 11th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was making a soft quiet sound today and wanted to add just a bit of noise. The filter is basically wide open.

So the Noise goes 0,1,2,3 etc... 0 is no noise but in this case 1 was too much. There is an option to modulate the noise so I used Max source and was able to lower the noise in between 0-1 so that solved that.

It did motivate me to make this post as there have now been a few times where I was doing subtle adjusting and wanted a value in between two integer values of the knob.

Made me consider the value of a fine adjust mode. Seems like it may be more trouble than worth and it may not even be possible. But thought I would bring it up.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cubase Patchname Script

I took Vladimirs preset list and created a patchname script for Cubase.

Although I've kept the bank structure, keep in mind that M doesn't support bank-select yet. So you can switch the presets inside a bank, but you have to select the actual bank at the M manually for the time being.

I still hope @ VladiS will implement bank-select via MIDI, so I can extend my little script accordingly.
Attached Files
File Type: txt waldorf_M_1.0.txt (44.3 KB, 16 views)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladiS ➡️
The extra VCF types could be theoretically implemented in software for Modern Mode. I am studying MW2 code right now in search of a way how to transfer certain VCF types from MW2 to the M. However, please don't await this soon, maybe it even could not be possible. We will see.
Vladimir
A digital Comb filter and High Pass would be most welcome !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ VladiS
Hi Vladimir,
are you aware that the bug in the multimode concerning the voice stealing/cut-off release phases is not yet fixed? I'm sure how to interpret the patch notes correctly so I just wanted to let you know that I still have the issue. Notes will be cut off when not playing them legato even if enough voices are available. V.STEAL does not change this behaviour.
Old 12th October 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Some M + M8 …needs more Ms
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine finally got here, let's just say FedEx really put me thru the ringer on this one...! For the record, I got it from The Sound Parcel (like draig). It was not double-boxed, but fortunately the synth arrived in perfect condition. Silk screening looks perfect.

Right now I am just stepping thru presets, and all I can say at this point is holy $#!t this thing sounds amazing! I will definitely want the expansion board, and I am glad it doesn't come with effects.

Oh, and I already figured out how to start controlling the VCF with polyAT...

Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTBatmaN ➡️
@ VladiS
Hi Vladimir,
are you aware that the bug in the multimode concerning the voice stealing/cut-off release phases is not yet fixed? I'm sure how to interpret the patch notes correctly so I just wanted to let you know that I still have the issue. Notes will be cut off when not playing them legato even if enough voices are available. V.STEAL does not change this behaviour.
Hi,

can you put somewhere your multi (as sysex)? And write what exact part where you have a problems? I will check them against the very same setting. Also, if your multi using some yours sounds - it would be nice to have this particular one.
You also can send it to vladimir.salnikov {here known symbol} waldorfmusic.de.

I believe I understood what your problem is, but have to check against your configuration.
Old 12th October 2021
Deleted e77a51e
Two questions:

Is it possible to control cut off from an endless encounter? (instead of the dedicated pot)
and would 8-part multi timbral be possible in an update?
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️
Two questions:

Is it possible to control cut off from an endless encounter? (instead of the dedicated pot)
and would 8-part multi timbral be possible in an update?
you can control filter cutoff with one of the endless encoders when the VCF>General submenu is displayed.
Deleted e77a51e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
you can control filter cutoff with one of the endless encoders when the VCF>General submenu is displayed.
It only has 4 parts right now?

Could you jump seamlessly and quickly between all parts adjusting the cut off on each? Or would some menu diving block you from doing that?
Gear Addict
Quote:

Could you jump seamlessly and quickly between all parts adjusting the cut off on each? Or would some menu diving block you from doing that?
Hi Resogun.

There is parameter VCF Lock on the Multi-Mode layout which locked Part VCF controls of this particular Part to follow VCF controls, not care, from where it's controled. I.e. if you will have this parameter on for all 4 parts - all VCF controls for all Parts will follow the panel controls simultaneously.

8 parts are not considered for M in any case. M is 4 part multitimbral synth.
Deleted e77a51e
Quote:
Hi Resogun.

There is parameter VCF Lock on the Multi-Mode layout which locked Part VCF controls of this particular Part to follow VCF controls, not care, from where it's controled. I.e. if you will have this parameter on for all 4 parts - all VCF controls for all Parts will follow the panel controls simultaneously.

8 parts are not considered for M in any case. M is 4 part multitimbral synth.
Not sure I follow I was wanting to flip between each part and adjust the cut off one by one, from a single encoder.

Why is 8 part not considered? It is a physical, GUI or other limitation?

An 8 part multi timbral wavetable synth is the ultimate drone/ambient synth. Only 4 parts is just too few, especially for this price. That is a big shame.

Maybe for a future synth 8 parts can be considered? My Waldorf Q has 16 parts.
Gear Nut
Quote:

You push the arrows on the right side to switch parts, the submenu remains on the same page for the part you're on, you don't have to reselect the menu again... so yes you can jump seamlessly.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e77a51e ➡️
Why is 8 part not considered? It is a physical, GUI or other limitation?
Probably memory and firmware constraints. But also number of available individual outputs plays into that decision.

Quote:
My Waldorf Q has 16 parts.
And not enough internal FX juice to process each part separately. Nor enough individual outputs to process those 16 parts separately either. Win some lose some.
Old 12th October 2021
Deleted e77a51e
Are those mono outs then? If they were stereo, couldn't they be splittered?

I've sequenced at least 6 parts on the Q no problem - was only using one voice each part though, like I said for drone duties. Q has the advantage of different filter types as well I wonder if the M is getting some digital filters, especially a comb would be awesome.
Old 12th October 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
They're stereo 1/4" outputs.
Old 12th October 2021
Deleted e77a51e
So it could do 8 mono technically. Not that I use separate audio outs anyway.

I wonder (almost certainly not) if a digital version of M could come out - a bit like the Iridium to the Quantum.

Scrap the analog filters. Give us 16 voices and 8 part multi timbral. Could just give one stereo audio out. Lot of digital filters. Maybe an overall analog saturator/distortion like the Elektron Heat to compensate. I'd pounce on that, for the same price as the M.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi,

can you put somewhere your multi (as sysex)? And write what exact part where you have a problems? I will check them against the very same setting. Also, if your multi using some yours sounds - it would be nice to have this particular one.
You also can send it to vladimir.salnikov {here known symbol} waldorfmusic.de.

I believe I understood what your problem is, but have to check against your configuration.
Hi,

I think another user on sequencer.de already sent you an example, we both have the same problem, let's discuss it there.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So it could do 8 mono technically. Not that I use separate audio outs anyway.

I wonder (almost certainly not) if a digital version of M could come out - a bit like the Iridium to the Quantum.

Scrap the analog filters. Give us 16 voices and 8 part multi timbral. Could just give one stereo audio out. Lot of digital filters. Maybe an overall analog saturator/distortion like the Elektron Heat to compensate. I'd pounce on that, for the same price as the M.
I think you have pretty much just described the Iridium (but it's bi-timbral).

You're also suggesting removing a lot of what makes the M such a special synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It only ever will have 4 parts too.
Deleted e77a51e
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific202 ➡️
I think you have pretty much just described the Iridium (but it's bi-timbral).

You're also suggesting removing a lot of what makes the M such a special synth.
Basically remove the analog filters and the M is not special anymore? I don't know about that I'm sure there are people who would prefer a raft of digital filters over one type of analog filter.

Yeah - if the Iridium had 8 or 16 part it would do what I wanted. Though I didn't really like the granular, resonator or FM parts of that synth. Kind of bloats it imo.

I think the wavetables and oscillators alone - and a simplified sample part - of Iridium would make for a mighty fine synthesizer. 16 voice, 16 parts, in a Blofeld case (if that was possible).

The Blofeld needs a successor. Make this in a 16 and 8 voice version and Waldorf have synths for everyone in the market. Maybe £900 and £600.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
It only ever will have 4 parts too.
I need n+1 parts to make good music.

N being the number of parts in whatever synth I’m using.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Basically remove the analog filters and the M is not special anymore? I don't know about that I'm sure there are people who would prefer a raft of digital filters over one type of analog filter.
I would say that yes, the analog filters and analog VCA's are part of what makes the M special.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
I would say that yes, the analog filters and analog VCA's are part of what makes the M special.
Totally agree, I am more impressed with the sound everyday, never gets old.

@ VladiS
Don't know if its possible or not or was maybe covered earlier, but something i would like to see is if you touch a knob the screen goes to that section of the interface. So for example touch the Cutoff, acts like you pressed the Vcf button and that page appears. touch the LFO Rate and the LFO page appears, etc.
I have already got in the habit of going to the page before turning a knob, but this would make things a bit easier to know what's going on.
Deleted e77a51e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica ➡️
Totally agree, I am more impressed with the sound everyday, never gets old.
Never? It's a couple weeks old
Old 12th October 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have also discovered one thing I miss about not having some type of a Mod Matrix.

For example:
If i want to have the Modwheel change the LFO1 Rate to say 60
and I want to have Aftertouch modify the LFO1 Rate by 20 this is not possible with the current mod settings.
I only have a choice of doing one.

Maybe there is another way that im missing.
Not a deal breaker but would be a nice to have option.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Never? It's a couple weeks old
True, but I will still not tire of its sound even after a few years I believe.
Deleted e77a51e
Quote:
True, but I will still not tire of its sound even after a few years I believe.
You act like you haven't experienced the honeymoon period with many synths before.

In a few years it will still sound good but that doesn't mean you won't tire of it. I personally would tire of a synth with one type of filter in it within a few years unless it had special tricks up its sleeve. Wavetables are the most interesting type of "oscillator" so that's good but I would still hope for some new filters in an update, even if they are digital so obviously not special
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have also discovered one thing I miss about not having some type of a Mod Matrix.

For example:
If i want to have the Modwheel change the LFO1 Rate to say 60
and I want to have Aftertouch modify the LFO1 Rate by 20 this is not possible with the current mod settings.
I only have a choice of doing one.

Maybe there is another way that im missing.
Not a deal breaker but would be a nice to have option.
I suggested earlier a new mod source called Add in which you can select 2 mod sources to add together - to cover the situation where you want 2 mod sources. Lots of targets only have one possible source. This would give the ability to use 2 in one place... or the same two in multiple places
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You act like you haven't experienced the honeymoon period with many synths before.

In a few years it will still sound good but that doesn't mean you won't tire of it. I personally would tire of a synth with one type of filter in it within a few years unless it had special tricks up its sleeve.
I long since grew out of the honeymoon syndrome.

The synths that I love the sound of grow on me even more over time. The M is one of the best sounding synths I've ever had my hands on and a few years from now I will like it even more because I will be fluid with it in a way I am not yet.
📝 Reply