Quantcast
Waldorf M Synthesizer - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf M Synthesizer
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
Deleted e77a51e
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Personally, I'd rather have hi-fi sound with options to degrade it and degrade it well, on a modern synth. If I want an already degraded sound with no possibilities to make it hi-fi, well, that's why I already have a MWI and MWII
If it was your only synth maybe. You have more flexibility but at the expense of character.

If you have multiple synths why would you spend time coaxing a 90% approximation out of something when it falls out of something else naturally?
Old 16th August 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Why not? If I get to bring one synth to a gig (despite owning more than one), it better be covering as much ground as possible?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e77a51e ➡️
I didn't claim what it could or couldn't do I stated what it inherently sounds like.
Iridium and Quantum sound what you make them sound like.

But its only human to blame ones own shortcomings on something else of course.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➡️

The light bulb and clock really smooth out those VA sounds
Old 16th August 2021
Deleted e77a51e
That demo still sounds really clean and polished sorry.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➡️

Remarkably good sounds
Old 17th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather have hi-fi sound with options to degrade it and degrade it well, on a modern synth. If I want an already degraded sound with no possibilities to make it hi-fi, well, that's why I already have a MWI and MWII
Same reason I have a Blofeld sitting next to my MWXT.

Highly doubt there's going to be anything remotely close to a 'reissue' of the Microwave. The code for it was gone like 20 years ago. 2 years after the MWII was released everything was lost, which is why the II series still has bugs to this day that will never be fixed. Waldorf, like Roland, loves their history, but does not have any intention of doing anything but taking it forward. Unless of course, they've all of a sudden had a complete change of heart over the last 20 something years. If this turns out to be true, you can bet on a NEW synth, whether it's another updated wavetable one or the MicroQ MK 2 or something. I cant see them doing anything other than maybe an updated Blofeld. The Iridium and Quantam are doing quite well in their flagship spots.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e77a51e ➡️
That demo still sounds really clean and polished sorry.
Well listen to it again with a lawnmower running in the background
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That’s what kept me away from the Quantum/Iridium. The sound was just too clean. Lacked character in a bad way. I demoed one a while back and it kind of pissed me off lol. I’m wanted to love it. It’s feature packed, looks beautiful, but the sound… the sound didn’t grab me. Really sounded like a vst to me.
Old 18th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blofeld 2 with just the VA Engine from Iridium? Do they use a SOC and how big is it?
Old 18th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➡️
Really sounded like a vst to me.
Then Microwave II/XT also sounds like a VST since it's completely digital.
Old 18th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Quote:
Then Microwave II/XT also sounds like a VST since it's completely digital.
Don’t get it twisted. I don’t think every digital synth sounds like a vst. Take the Virus for instance, it has character. It sounds full, smooth, dare I say warm(?) I don’t want a hifi sound then I have to add all of this drive and distortion. I want a full clean punchy sound out the gate. Not a fan of distortion and bit crushing to be honest. I might’ve used it on certain sounds when called for, but again, I don’t wanna have to do all of this bit crushing distorted drive to get a full sounding sound. It’ll end up sounding unpleasant to my ears… I’ll also add that the Microwave XT has character, it can get cold and metallic, but it doesn’t sound as hifi as the Quantum/Iridium do.
Old 18th August 2021
Deleted e77a51e
"Sounds like a VST" is probably derogatory to some people but alongside the Super 6 the best sounding synth out there at the moment imo is Vital VST. It's just outrageously beautiful and rich - hifi but not super polished or plastic sounding like the Quantum/Iridium. It is balanced perfectly.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Don’t get it twisted. I don’t think every digital synth sounds like a vst.
There are plenty of VSTs which "don't sound like a VST" out there.
Gear Nut

Yeah, I don't even know what "sounds like a VST" means. I only use hardware for my synth sounds but I also strongly believe that if you were to play a random VST synth and a random hardware synth in a blind test, nobody would be able to tell the difference.

For me, the reason I use my Iridium all the time is only partly due to the sound. Yes, it can create amazing sounds, but it also has an interface that I can't get in software, and I can get many layers of sound from the Iridium that would bring my CPU to its knees.

Let me expand on that. In kernel mode, one single oscillator voice can have up to 6 sub-oscillators all modulating each other (with the option of PM, FM, ring mod, or wavetable mod). Each of these 6 sub-oscillators has its own independent multi-stage envelope. There are 3 oscillators per voice and 16-note polyphony. That's a total of 288 PM/FM/ring mod/wavetable sub-oscillators and envelopes. In addition, each of the 16 polyphonic notes can have 2 independent filters plus additional effects (including a third filter if you want it). And, on top of THAT, each of the 16 voices has 6 independent assignable envelopes plus 7 LFOs per voice. Try doing that in a VST on a computer and you'll be in the red instantly -- but Iridium can do it without breaking a sweat. (Of course, you aren't limited to kernel mode for oscillators: do you want some of those oscillators to be granular synths instead? or physical modeling? no problem!)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There are plenty of VSTs which "don't sound like a VST" out there.
I long for the simpler times when men were men, women were women and VSTs sounded like VSTs.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti ➡️
Yeah, I don't even know what "sounds like a VST" means.
It’s kinda the Godwin’s Law of Gearspace.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing...
Old 18th August 2021
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still love Diva and I have a P5 go figure (I really love my P5 as well). I think most people would struggle in a mix to know which is which.
Old 19th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment ➡️
You say that like it's a bad thing...
It’s a bad thing when if I have to pay $2,500 to $4,500 for a hardware synth that sounds characterless. I could buy Massive X and Pigments 3(which I own) and save a bunch of money. You’d be ok with that? Lol
Old 19th August 2021
Lives for gear
Whatever the new Waldorf synth turns out to be, it will be what it is.
But it doesn't happen without a manual to read.
I think by the time it comes out I will long have my Blofeld keys connected to a Modwave (or vice versa).
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s a bad thing when if I have to pay $2,500 to $4,500 for a hardware synth that sounds characterless. I could buy Massive X and Pigments 3(which I own) and save a bunch of money. You’d be ok with that? Lol
Of course. A better question is, why do you think I shouldn't?

And not for nothing, but it's a poor workman who blames his tools.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip ➡️
I still love Diva and I have a P5 go figure (I really love my P5 as well). I think most people would struggle in a mix to know which is which.
Even Hive sounds great. I probably reach for it more than any other plugin.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➡️
I long for the simpler times when men were men, women were women and VSTs sounded like VSTs.

Old 19th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment ➡️
Quote:
Of course. A better question is, why do you think I shouldn't?

And not for nothing, but it's a poor workman who blames his tools.

I agree, I don’t think owning certain gear is going to make you all of a sudden the greatest producer. I’m saying that I will not pay $2,500-$4,500 for something that lacks character. I will use a vst for that matter. Now, if I like the way something sounds and it has a high price tag, I’d buy it, IDGAF. I’ve done it plenty times. I own quite a few hardware synths that have something unique about them.
Old 19th August 2021
Gear Addict
I just want a Blofeld keys with a more powerful CPU, more sample memory, and full knobby interface. Same sound engine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPP ➡️
I just want a Blofeld keys with a more powerful CPU, more sample memory, and full knobby interface. Same sound engine.
Independent effects per part.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer ➡️
Independent effects per part.
Yep. Let's say absolutely no bottleneck with 64 voices.

Zero loss of poly just straight up 64-voice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
Gee our old La Salle ran great…!
Old 19th August 2021
Lives for gear
So called effects on a Blofeld like the Reverb and Clocked Delay IMO are best left in the DISABLED mode.
📝 Reply