Quantcast
Waldorf M Synthesizer - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf M Synthesizer
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➡️
You're not familiar with Quantum development obviously.
That was just an inside joke for all the people that were intimately familiar with the Blofeld development.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Monotremata's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➡️
When Waldorf was resurrected in the 00s some of their first products were the Phoenix Editions of Q+ and the Micro Q.
That wasn't really a backwards step though.. They weren't 'insolvent' for very long at all, and those were their current products when they did file for restructuring. They probably had a crapload of parts left over and they had to use up all those filters left over from the complete failure the AFB was. Numark essentially did the same thing when they bought Akai. Made up a bunch of new faceplates and cases in 'Numark blue' and sold off all the leftover MPC4000/MPC2000/Z4/Z8s they got from the former owners.
Old 15th August 2021
  #33
Deleted e77a51e
Guest
The Iridium/Quantum was horribly pristine and hifi. Not that please.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
researchtriangle's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayyob ➡️
I'm not saying a MW1 reissue of some kind wouldn't be cool.. i just don't see them doing it.
I agree, but I also think that anybody in the market for a Waldorf in 2021 would likewise also be in the market of something along the lines of a MW1. I would guess most people into Waldorf are into them at least partly because of the MW series. Personally, I would like something like a MWIII, more crunchy and unique, less of the modern hifi sound their recent stuff has.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchtriangle ➡️
I agree, but I also think that anybody in the market for a Waldorf in 2021 would likewise also be in the market of something along the lines of a MW1. I would guess most people into Waldorf are into them at least partly because of the MW series. Personally, I would like something like a MWIII, more crunchy and unique, less of the modern hifi sound their recent stuff has.
have had a MWXT forever and still love it so much. the sound is still full of surprises. it fits what i do.

I didn't care at all for the micro Q. thought it sounded really smeared and grainy. tried to like it but it just had no vibe to it. no personality. i'm sure some people do interesting things w/it but for me it had a blanket over it's synth engine.

blofeld to me was a lot better sounding. still sold eventually but it had a nicer presence and more range. very digital and a bit sharp but still interesting. could make some nice digital hash.

the XT is a forever synth for me. but i know not everyone feels that way.
Old 15th August 2021
  #36
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Yeah I'd be fine even if they went back the the all-digital microwave line. The bright/gritty wavetable sound is where Waldorf shines. Their VA synthesis is lackluster.

My main requirement: they have to go back to the garish eye-melting neon colors of their 90's modules. And a big, bright neon clear-plastic encoder.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchtriangle ➡️
I agree, but I also think that anybody in the market for a Waldorf in 2021 would likewise also be in the market of something along the lines of a MW1. I would guess most people into Waldorf are into them at least partly because of the MW series. Personally, I would like something like a MWIII, more crunchy and unique, less of the modern hifi sound their recent stuff has.
I'd love that though I think there's some pretty stiff competition in the 'hybrid/wavetable' category nowadays -- Peak/Summit, Super 6, Micromonsta, Microfreak, Prologue, not to mention Behringer's PPG clone.

I think I'll be content running my Microwave XTk paraphonically through my choice of analog filter in Eurorack.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e77a51e ➡️
The Iridium/Quantum was horribly pristine and hifi. Not that please.
I agree. That’s what drew me away. Sounds like Pigments 3 to me lol. I’m also using an Apogee Symphony MK2. So it’s really hifi.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Arglebargle's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever ➡️
That's part of the problem, though - there's a happy medium between musical and complex that many manufacturers seem to miss.
You try and keep the most used and useful elements at the surface of the UI, and delegate the set-and-forget stuff deeper down.

Flexible mod matrixes. 'Cause other folks are going to come up with clever uses that you and your engineers didn't always consider.

I just got myself an ESQm again, after all these years, in part because most every source can go to every and all destinations. Even though it allows only two definable midi sources in its matrix, that's still better than a ton of later synth designs. Too often, those types of designs have defacto decided how you are going to use your instrument. Too bad if you have a different concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis ➡️
I thought that way about Waldorf too.
When their last two synths didn't have release velocity as a mod source,
I contacted them, and the response about including it was pretty negative.
A big disappointment for me.

I don't know if some people died off, or left the company, but the only stuff that's appealing to me now is their older stuff.
I hope if they come out with something new, they get back with the program. so that it might be a potential purchase for me.

Arglebargle - if you haven't done so yet, you should check out Kurzweil.
I feel for ya! I don't use release velocity, as its not in my main controllers, but I certainly understand the principle of having a control element that is vital to you. For me, its breath control.

No Kurzweil instruments (yet), but I do have an Expressionmate ribbon controller, and the depth in it is mind-boggling.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
researchtriangle's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➡️
I think I'll be content running my Microwave XTk paraphonically through my choice of analog filter in Eurorack.
I have no doubt you'll be very content with that setup, but wow, imagine if something new came out that retained the soul of the XT while pushing the bar forward.
Old 15th August 2021 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Marzzz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayyob ➡️
I'm not saying a MW1 reissue of some kind wouldn't be cool.. i just don't see them doing it.
Yeah, I’m not holding my breath for one either, but it doesn’t hurt to put it out there…I bought one in 1990, but sent it back because it aliased.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle ➡️
I feel for ya! I don't use release velocity, as its not in my main controllers, but I certainly understand the principle of having a control element that is vital to you. For me, its breath control.

No Kurzweil instruments (yet), but I do have an Expressionmate ribbon controller, and the depth in it is mind-boggling.
I've got an old Yamaha breath controller that works with my PC3 and EX5r.
I use it sometimes, but am not real proficient with it.
Never had an actual wind controller though.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #43
p-t
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayyob ➡️
per voice? per part?
I'd guess selectable, per part. Kind of like how the pioneer sp-16 allocates it's Dave Smith filter.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Marzzz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
New patches for the Microwave

Crap! Now I really want a µWave I...!
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Dave_Ionic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids ➡️
Yeah I'd be fine even if they went back the the all-digital microwave line. The bright/gritty wavetable sound is where Waldorf shines. Their VA synthesis is lackluster.

My main requirement: they have to go back to the garish eye-melting neon colors of their 90's modules. And a big, bright neon clear-plastic encoder.
lol Then you never played a Q it was one of the nicest VA ‘s ever made. I should add anyone who says the Quantum is too HiFi has never dug into one . It can get down and gritty if you want it too. Plus it can sound like a wild modular system . Too many of you judge these synths off watching Youtube if you have not owned one and dug into it you are clueless. IMO.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic ➡️
lol Then you never played a Q it was one of the nicest VA ‘s ever made. I should add anyone who says the Quantum is too HiFi has never dug into one . It can get down and gritty if you want it too. Plus it can sound like a wild modular system . Too many of you judge these synths off watching Youtube if you have not owned one and dug into it you are clueless. IMO.
I had a Blofeld.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
conanb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids ➡️
I had a Blofeld.
You thought the Blofeld sounded lacklustre??
There's tonnes of these but this is the latest one I've seen:
https://youtu.be/EBsgHVQWvfc
Old 16th August 2021
  #48
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
For me, good VA is not about "oh i put a sawtooth through a 24db lowpass filter." Any VA synth can do that.
A good VA is like Repro where it still sounds analog when you push it to weird cases. It's about how the resonance sings when fed too hot of a signal, or how it breaks up when the oscillators are not quite tuned to the same frequency, or how they fizzle when you use filter FM at high rates.

Leave the subtractive synthesis to analog synths. Let digital embrace the digital.

There is one thing I liked about the Blofeld though: it was when you turned the brightness all the way up on the wavetable oscillators and you made crazy morphing sounds. Filter all the way open. Raw and digital and awesome. The Blofeld was the first synth I bought when I was 16 and worked as a cashier at a grocery store. I nearly cried at how much I disliked it until I discovered the wavetable brightness. I really wanted it to be a Microwave and that pushed it into that territory. Because that's what Waldorf does best.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Dave_Ionic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids ➡️
For me, good VA is not about "oh i put a sawtooth through a 24db lowpass filter." Any VA synth can do that.
A good VA is like Repro where it still sounds analog when you push it to weird cases. It's about how the resonance sings when fed too hot of a signal, or how it breaks up when the oscillators are not quite tuned to the same frequency, or how they fizzle when you use filter FM at high rates.

Leave the subtractive synthesis to analog synths. Let digital embrace the digital.

There is one thing I liked about the Blofeld though: it was when you turned the brightness all the way up on the wavetable oscillators and you made crazy morphing sounds. Filter all the way open. Raw and digital and awesome. The Blofeld was the first synth I bought when I was 16 and worked as a cashier at a grocery store. I nearly cried at how much I disliked it until I discovered the wavetable brightness. I really wanted it to be a Microwave and that pushed it into that territory. Because that's what Waldorf does best.
So you really have not explored a Q. I think you would be pretty surprised.
I am not saying every digital should do VA but I think you sell it short without really exploring and speak out of lack of knowledge.
Plus I can make digital sound so Analog you would not know it was digital till I told you. Been there done that and smiled when people said I like the analog synth.
This whole thing that only Analog is for subtractive synthesis and digital can only do due digital and not subtractive sounds like someone talking back in the 90’s.
Digital today is pretty damn amazing.
So do yourself a favor and start exploring.
Do I think they will do another VA probably not but you really need to not dismiss the Q it was freaking awesome and commands a high price even today because of it.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
conanb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic ➡️
So you really have not explored a Q. I think you would be pretty surprised.
I am not saying every digital should do VA but I think you sell it short without really exploring and speak out of lack of knowledge.
Plus I can make digital sound so Analog you would not know it was digital till I told you. Been there done that and smiled when people said I like the analog synth.
This whole thing that only Analog is for subtractive synthesis and digital can only do due digital and not subtractive sounds like someone talking back in the 90’s.
Digital today is pretty damn amazing.
So do yourself a favor and start exploring.
Do I think they will do another VA probably not but you really need to not dismiss the Q it was freaking awesome and commands a high price even today because of it.
What he said
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #51
Deleted e77a51e
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic ➡️
lol Then you never played a Q it was one of the nicest VA ‘s ever made. I should add anyone who says the Quantum is too HiFi has never dug into one . It can get down and gritty if you want it too. Plus it can sound like a wild modular system . Too many of you judge these synths off watching Youtube if you have not owned one and dug into it you are clueless. IMO.
A synth with drive/distortion, bitcrusher can sound "gritty"? Who knew but that's not its sound.

I had an Iridium and clinical, hifi, polished is its character, or lack of character. It is pretty soulless. The Novation Peak suffers from this "too good" syndrome.
Old 16th August 2021
  #52
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years


I want to see Waldorf's answer to this sort of thing. If a 6-voice wavetable synth with analog filters can be made for $500 from a boutique developer, Waldorf should be able to make a Microwave in the Blofeld/Pulse form factor for a good price. I'd even be willing to spend $1200 or more on a Microwave clone from them.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Fay Smearing's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️
A synth with drive/distortion, bitcrusher can sound "gritty"? Who knew but that's not its sound.

I had an Iridium and clinical, hifi, polished is its character, or lack of character. It is pretty soulless. The Novation Peak suffers from this "too good" syndrome.
Simply owning or having owned a particular synth is not in and of itself a credential when it comes to claiming what it can and can't do.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #54
Deleted e77a51e
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing ➡️
Simply owning or having owned a particular synth is not in and of itself a credential when it comes to claiming what it can and can't do.
I didn't claim what it could or couldn't do I stated what it inherently sounds like.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Owned a Q as well and regret selling her. My Hydrasynth comes very close, as the Q could also make the sound of 10,000 bats flying into a crystal doorknob.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e77a51e ➡️
The Iridium/Quantum was horribly pristine and hifi. Not that please.
This really isn't the case and it's a shame that people keep repeating this. Iridium can get awesomely gnarly, especially with the vintage wavetable modes that sound quite close to the XT. (I used to have one so I know that sound very well.) Add the drive and noise wavetable effects plus some distorted filter types, and you have all the craziness you could want. It's the opposite of hi-fi.

Also, I don't know how anyone could use the kernel mode and think of the Iridium as "pristine." Use 6 oscillators with audio-rate wavetable position modulation and self-feedback and get back to me on your definition of pristine.

Anyhow, the follow-up to the XT already exists. It's the Iridium.
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #57
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz ➡️
Crap! Now I really want a µWave I...!
Old Ensoniq stuff has the same vibe. Mirage, ESQ1/SQ80 for less money. It won't have the deep wave movement but same flavor.

The Mirage with disks 2.1/C10, 23 synths on wheels, and the Triton Soundprocess OS. Of course with directly sampling in modulated PPG/Waldorf tables as well.
Old 16th August 2021
  #58
Deleted e77a51e
Guest
It's not a slight, just a fact. The Quantum and Iridium's sound is hifi. I don't know why that is a shame.

You can go out of your way to degrade the hifi it but that doesn't change it's intrinsic nature. Driving a Ferrari at 30mph does not make it a slow car.

There's no way the Iridium has the character of the XT just like the Solaris doesn't sound like a Prophet VS or a Waldorf.
Old 16th August 2021
  #59
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Personally, I'd rather have hi-fi sound with options to degrade it and degrade it well, on a modern synth. If I want an already degraded sound with no possibilities to make it hi-fi, well, that's why I already have a MWI and MWII
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
  #60
Gear Nut
 
jcn7's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle ➡️
I feel for ya! I don't use release velocity, as its not in my main controllers, but I certainly understand the principle of having a control element that is vital to you. For me, its breath control.
YES to breath control!!! I've used it on many of my hardware synths as well as various VSTi's and IMHO it IS the best controller out there as long as you understand how to use it. I only wish more manufactuers would incorporate BC inputs into their hardware...come on Waldorf!!! (In fact I have 2 Waldorf NW-1 Eurorack osc's that I use BC on and they work great!)

...and here is just a simple example of what breath control can do (all brass/wind/bowed strings are being played using a breath controller) (hope you all don't mind me leaving this example, if so I guess have the moderator delete it...so sorry in advance if this is a no no...)

BC example:
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1437 views: 179734
Avatar for jm2c
jm2c 3 days ago
replies: 3306 views: 67034
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 21st August 2021
replies: 284 views: 13238
Avatar for Simonator
Simonator 3 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump