Quantcast
Let's help each other identify our styles - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let's help each other identify our styles
Old 31st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Let's help each other identify our styles

I have never cared what my style supposedly is. This is not a brag, it's quite obvious to me that having a particular style has benefits. So on the one hand, I wish I did. On the other hand, I am simply not good at being bound to genre rules and not particularly interested either.

However. . . when I go to get my music distributed (which I am doing now), I have to think seriously about what its closest designation is.

The distributor offers a "genre main category" and "subcategory." The main one offers "electronic," which makes that easy. But the subcategory offers such as "breakbeat," (which my music has elements of), "funk" (which is actually pretty general right, or is it a specific electronic subcategory?), "IDM," (which I have elements of too), and so on.

So this is a thread for favours in regard to describing members' music, style/genre-wise. We can avoid critiquing (because that can be done elsewhere), but if you want to know what yours is, stick it in here.

(And of course I'm interested in you helping me out; so an example of the music I'm currently making is the music in my sig below: its basically breaks/loops/samples with jazz-influenced harmonies and synth bass plus analogue keys solos, at a variety of tempos and energies, occasional forays into IDM/glitch. . . any takers?).
Old 31st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’ll
Play. I’ll listen to your track once I get in the studio.
Old 31st July 2021
Gear Addict

I'm hearing some Zappa (hope that's a compliment )

Not sure how I would describe this other than the examples you've given
Old 31st July 2021
Gear Guru

Well it's definitely "Electronic", obviously.

(I like it)

As for the subcategory, several could apply in varying degrees, so pick most anything as none really apply in a 1:1 ratio.

If you can't select multiple entries for the subcategory then something is terribly wrong with how that Distributor does things, subgenres really ought to be a List, almost always.
Old 31st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️

I like it
Yes, I like it too. There's a lot of inventiveness going on here in what you're doing.

This is jazz- or funk-breakbeat-prog, I would say. You're taking a more ambitious approach to rhythmic structures and soloing on top on that than a lot of people who make pure breakbeat music, which is the reason why you're getting references to Zappa like the one above, I would say

Last edited by wendell r.; 31st July 2021 at 06:27 PM..
Old 31st July 2021
Reminds me of Towa Tei in many regards.

Very pop friendly, but also kinda IDM.
If there were more vocals involved would feel safe to throw it under a "pop" moniker, void of vocals would generally throw it under "electronica" or even "EDM/Electronic Dance Music", mostly as IDM isn't likely to be an option.

In any case, good stuff, though can easily understand hitting some frustration on what sort of common genre name to liken it to.
Old 31st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The complex jazzy soloing over the top of complex rhythms is very characteristic of the prog-fusion era, but the sound and glitchiness is also very obviously breakbeat/electronic/idm from today. I can't really think of anything much more appropriate than IDM/breakbeat/prog/funk.
Old 31st July 2021
Gear Nut

Glitchchip fusioncore.
Old 31st July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_C ➡️
Glitchchip fusioncore.
I was going to say either Glitchchip Fusioncore or Neo-Glitchchip Fusioncore.
Old 31st July 2021
Lives for gear

Unpossible - every track I make has a bit of a different take to it (subgenre?) because I'm not trying to be consistent, but to have fun. Mine are generally Electronic, sometimes Electronic Industrial.
Old 31st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis ➡️
I have never cared what my style supposedly is. This is not a brag, it's quite obvious to me that having a particular style has benefits. So on the one hand, I wish I did. On the other hand, I am simply not good at being bound to genre rules and not particularly interested either.

However. . . when I go to get my music distributed (which I am doing now), I have to think seriously about what its closest designation is.

The distributor offers a "genre main category" and "subcategory." The main one offers "electronic," which makes that easy. But the subcategory offers such as "breakbeat," (which my music has elements of), "funk" (which is actually pretty general right, or is it a specific electronic subcategory?), "IDM," (which I have elements of too), and so on.

So this is a thread for favours in regard to describing members' music, style/genre-wise. We can avoid critiquing (because that can be done elsewhere), but if you want to know what yours is, stick it in here.

(And of course I'm interested in you helping me out; so an example of the music I'm currently making is the music in my sig below: its basically breaks/loops/samples with jazz-influenced harmonies and synth bass plus analogue keys solos, at a variety of tempos and energies, occasional forays into IDM/glitch. . . any takers?).
I’m
Not hip to all the different genres of electro these days, but I like the track a lot. I think it’s sounds electronic, that’s as far as I can go.
Old 31st July 2021
Momcore Grandpastep Fusion

(edit: since that's silly/rude, I should note it's a nice track)
Old 31st July 2021
Gear Addict

It is a nice track, no matter how it would be classified. Heck, even if this was just a transparent ploy for plays, it's still a fresh and solid song!
Old 1st August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi All,
Thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy ➡️
It is a nice track, no matter how it would be classified. Heck, even if this was just a transparent ploy for plays, it's still a fresh and solid song!
Haha, me putting a tune in my signature is certainly a ploy to get listens (I copied that off lots of other people who do the same thing). But no, this thread wasn't that so much, I really am at a loss as to how to classify my own tunes, and I'm legitimately wondering whether anyone else has the same trouble. The "trouble" only really is when it's time to release, and to mark the correct categories in the distributor. Otherwise I don't really mind what it's called. Anyway, I went with: "electronic / funk / electronica." Which is nicely vacuous and uninformative. I would have much preferred:
Quote:
Glitchchip fusioncore.
but sadly it wasn't an option.
Anywayz, someone else have a shot. Post a tune and we can try to identify the style. If nothing else it would be an exercise in becoming familiar with contemporary subcategories.
Old 1st August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi All,
Anywayz, someone else have a shot. Post a tune and we can try to identify the style. If nothing else it would be an exercise in becoming familiar with contemporary subcategories.
Don't let 'em pigeonhole ya, man :D

I think my problems would be larger if I ever sought to distribute my tunes, not only because they're all crap, but because I make a point of trying to never repeat myself.

Here's a couple examples of genre-less tunes I've done that sound like none of the other genre-less tunes I've done:

Labels are pretty worthless.
Old 1st August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Original, I love it.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Glitchchip fusioncore.
Sorry, I meant "Booty Bass".
Old 1st August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm, what if you just think of similar artists/bands/tracks/albums and check how they are classified in record stores?

I know, not always an easy task. Like the kind of techno/tech house I try to make isn't really a subgenre of it's own AFAIK, but at least in my head there's something in common with the reference tracks I use. They are usually quite long tracks, sort of a bit orchestral/majestic and kinda uplifting/epic, without resorting to cheap tricks to create the uplifting energy. And they're really good too of course, according to me. But there is no genre called "Uplifting epic orchestral tech house that is kinda cheesy but not really".

I'm actually in the process of starting a label that focuses on exactly that kinda music. I have some small artists in mind I intend to contact and ask if they want to make something for me, but it's kinda difficult to find more of them. I found the few ones pretty much randomly by accident, I would like to invent a method to find more. Maybe in the future you can just feed an AI some reference tracks and he'll go through a few million tracks on Spotify in a millisecond, then give you a list of tracks that are similar to the references.
Old 1st August 2021
Lives for gear

Quote:

With my xennial cultural upbringing, I'd file this tune under "IDM/Electronica" Something in it reminds me of squarepusher a bit.

Electronica used to be quite a thing in the 90s, a lot of it was coming from the UK, this dance music that was more for listening than for the clubs.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't let 'em pigeonhole ya, man :D

I think my problems would be larger if I ever sought to distribute my tunes, not only because they're all crap, but because I make a point of trying to never repeat myself.

Here's a couple examples of genre-less tunes I've done that sound like none of the other genre-less tunes I've done:

Labels are pretty worthless.
I'd label these two under "Electronica" as well, but this time without the IDM crossover influences. The second track reminds me of Two Lone Swordsmen.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
I'd label these two under "Electronica" as well, but this time without the IDM crossover influences. The second track reminds me of Two Lone Swordsmen.
Electronica isn't really a genre though. It pretty much means "electronic records that don't belong to an easily identifiable other genre so we'll just lump them together here". I mean, the records/files need to be in some crate or folder and electronica is better than nothing, but electronica is a bit like world music. It doesn't mean a certain type of style or sound. It's just basically a "genre" called other.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➡️
Hmm, what if you just think of similar artists/bands/tracks/albums and check how they are classified in record stores?
What's a record store?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What's a record store?
They still exist, be it physical stores like Piccadilly, online stores like Decks or digital stores like Beatport.

Spotify etc would work in theory too but I'm not sure if they even have genres there?

I don't mean you need to sell music, you can just check the stores to see how similar music is classified.
Gear Nut

Quote:
They still exist, be it physical stores like Piccadilly, online stores like Decks or digital stores like Beatport.

Spotify etc would work in theory too but I'm not sure if they even have genres there?

I don't mean you need to sell music, you can just check the stores to see how similar music is classified.
Good point. I didn't think that online stores would have genres. Still leaves a problem if one doesn't actually know any similar music.

Electronica it is, then.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Electronica isn't really a genre though. It pretty much means "electronic records that don't belong to an easily identifiable other genre so we'll just lump them together here". I mean, the records/files need to be in some crate or folder and electronica is better than nothing, but electronica is a bit like world music. It doesn't mean a certain type of style or sound. It's just basically a "genre" called other.
True, but even this is good for me to know. Because sometimes the generalised genre names get poached to represent some specific style. Like, originally, “EDM” had a broader implication than it does now. I quite like that “electronica” is still relatively general.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry, I meant "Booty Bass".
Reggaeton, obviously.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️
Reggaeton, obviously.
eh, don't knock the early 'street' reggaeton that was an original style IMO albeit thoroughly obnoxious (in a good way).
Old 1st August 2021
I'll have a listen through some tracks shared here later when I get a chance (In the process of moving house)

Am curious though what style people would consider my stuff as like others previously mentioned, I don't ever feel like there's a coherent genre influence within my music, I'm guessing IDM but that tag loses meaning as the majority of IDM sounds incredibly different from the rest of things under that tag

Hard to pick a track due to the variation so I'll let people just pick a track that appeals to them from the list here

https://clowncollage.bandcamp.com
Old 1st August 2021
Gear Addict

Classification is a natural impulse nd handy for marketing... but if you overthink it, zoom in too close, every work is a separate island onto itself. And the genre becomes the name of the artist.

(Aside from extremely similar copycat content produced within the narrow parameters of a universally accepted genre. Bluegrass. Acid house. Speed metal.)

My podcast is comedy. But what's the subgenre? I left that blank. That's a task for a marketing department.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
eh, don't knock the early 'street' reggaeton that was an original style IMO albeit thoroughly obnoxious (in a good way).
Heh.

I like it, and Moombahton, depending on my mood.
📝 Reply