Quantcast
Let's help each other identify our styles - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let's help each other identify our styles
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️
I have about 30,000 songs in my digital music collection, and have had as many as thousands of records at any given time as a DJ, plus owned a brick and mortar record store, and been the buyer at two other DJ centric record stores.

Basic alphabetizing only works so well.

For these and other valid use cases...
In your collection, you can group them how you like. Im not debating the point of doing that kind of thing - Im talking about people in general being classed as "this" or "that", in the wider world
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 ➡️
Im talking people, not grocery products.
Yes, the same applies to finding something you’re looking for whether that be music or food or whatever else.

Have you ever been to a library? It’s amazing, they came up with a way to sort things into similar areas so that it’s easy to find a book you want instead of just randomly selecting one from the shelves.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawwwwwSun ➡️
Yes, the same applies to finding something you’re looking for whether that be music or food or whatever else.

Have you ever been to a library? It’s amazing, they came up with a way to sort things into similar areas so that it’s easy to find a book you want instead of just randomly selecting one from the shelves.
Exactly this. Why isnt everyone ranting against classifying the written word? Surely that must be an act of oppression against the creative spirit of humankind
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh yeah, perfect timing with this thread.

Seriously need help slutz, I mean... spacers?

So I like to think that I make techno, but the techno "community" never really gave me any real love, apart from a few legends who I won't name drop.

Even at my second last live PA show, a punter, who was supposedly a techno head, asked me what I'd call the music? ok...

Is it just house?

Example #1

Example #2
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX ➡️
Oh yeah, perfect timing with this thread.

Seriously need help slutz, I mean... spacers?

So I like to think that I make techno, but the techno "community" never really gave me any real love, apart from a few legends who I won't name drop.

Even at my second last live PA show, a punter, who was supposedly a techno head, asked me what I'd call the music? ok...

Is it just house?

Example #1

Example #2
Both examples sound like techno to me? Sounds decent btw
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip ➡️
I’ve been debating this as well, think I’m labelled chill out, but even that appears to have many subdivisions these days. Silver eye my other project is Beach house - I think ������

Chill out?

Beach house?
In the '90s, some people might even have classed that with trip-hop and downtempo psychedelia. There's definitely a certain mood/psychedelic element.

Last edited by wendell r.; 5 days ago at 11:42 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... Is it just house?

Example #1

Example #2
sounds like some stuff on Chain Reaction from the 90s. nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB ➡️
Same here, I've been told by friends it's "chill-out music" or "electronica", but since I make a pretty varied range of stuff I've never been too concerned by it.

Always wondered though.....

Without wanting to sound snooty, it does sound like people are less and less familiar with the founding genres of the 70's, 80's and '90s. There are definitely elements of fusion, funk, house, and ambient / chillout all in your music there, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
Both examples sound like techno to me? Sounds decent btw
Cheers, that's exactly what I thought! Maybe what trips them up are the "b side" tracks...

I mean, what the hell do you call this?

Example 3
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Glitch/industrial techno ? Probably not quite as accurate as my post above, as I don't know the style quite as well. Again it definitely partly reminds me of '90s glitch and techno and 80's industrial though, added with modern electronica.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
… what the hell do you call this?

Example 3
What do they call Sandwell District and stuff like that?
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
In the '90s, some people might even have classed that with trip-hop and downtempo psychedelia. There's definitely a certain mood/psychedelic element.
Agreed big fan of trip hop - but I guess those days are long gone
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It lives ! ;.) In quite a lot of places, but I think people are calling it something different.
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
It lives ;.) ! In quite a lot of places, but I think people are calling it something different.
Good to know but what label now?

A track from new album coming out in a few days - trip hop?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers, that's exactly what I thought! Maybe what trips them up are the "b side" tracks...

I mean, what the hell do you call this?

Example 3
I call that sort of stuff 4WD or 4x4, but then again I came up with that nickname by myself. I know in the UK they also have some genre designation called 4WD, but I'm not sure if that means the same thing as mine. My "4WD" nickname comes from the phrase "Four Wheel Drive Techno (Neliveto)".

I had a conversation with DJ Pete about this thing some years back, I told him "its the future of techno!" He plays a lot of tracks with this sound, and he said there's a name for that sound in Berlin.. but said he forgot what it was at the time

James Ruskin has a lot of tracks with the style I'm talking about.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
I call that sort of stuff 4WD or 4x4, but then again I came up with that nickname by myself. I know in the UK they also have some genre designation called 4WD, but I'm not sure if that means the same thing as mine. My "4WD" nickname comes from the phrase "Four Wheel Drive Techno (Neliveto)".

I had a conversation with DJ Pete about this thing some years back, I told him "its the future of techno!" He plays a lot of tracks with this sound, and he said there's a name for that sound in Berlin.. but said he forgot what it was at the time

James Ruskin has a lot of tracks with the style I'm talking about.
haha 4WD techno! I like it

I'll have a look and see what James Ruskin is up to, thanks!
📝 Reply