Quantcast
Going minimal - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Going minimal
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #61
Gear Nut
 
NawwwwwSun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
Isn't it minimal just to be in front of one piece of equipment? I think that if you concentrate on one piece of equipment, you will naturally have a minimalist environment.
You don't have to bother to aim for a minimal environment, right?
All depends on the one piece of equipment
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
jm2c's Avatar
 
I don't personally buy into this idea of finding bliss through limiting my options. If I take a long pause from writing any music, it doesn't matter which piece I sit down with, the results will be fresh and with new ideas.

It's the ideas that are the most important thing.. And those come from the vacuum, its like zero point energy

On GS, its always the train of thought that gear is behind everything, for better or worse. "this song sounds amazing because it used X" "This guys music is rubbish cuz he has too much gear" "this guys music is brill, he uses OG model Y!"...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Back when it was a problem, I had 100+ synths, about a dozen drum machines, four 7' tall racks of effects, two tape machines, large console, and miles of cabling. Now it all fits in a 7' x 9' space (still hw based).

Initially it was impossible to decide what to sell and what to keep. Every synth had something unique about it that made it different than all its neighbors.

Each one sounded great and made me happy when I played it, but the sell/keep decision came down to this simple test -- what did I actually use when I was trying to create a piece of music?

Secondary considerations were to how reliable/stable it was (if it was old) and how easily did it tie into a sequencing/recording system (either MIDI or cv/gate). For example, loved the CS-80 but also realized I was never going to do live takes/overdubs with it in my setup, so it went out.

Considerations - I found it easier/better to keep more effects units and less synths because pretty much any semi-decent sounding synth can be the basis for a very cool effected sound. Make sure whatever is kept is wired in and ready to play/record with you doing nothing more than powering it on. My patchbays and hw mixer keep my gear footprint under control in that way.

Don't look back and think that if you waited to sell you could have got a lot more money. Yes, if I had hung onto all the rare stuff I had until now, I could have retired after selling it (not really, but it would have been a good start), but I would have had to deal with it and not have had the fun and experiences with other stuff that I did.

The actual goal of it all is not a retirement investment, nor a collector's museum, it's the sounds that come out of it.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 1 week ago at 12:11 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 
jags's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
From my experience your equipment needs will depend on what you are trying to do. If you work with a DAW then technically that is all you need. Your instruments and recording can all be done in the computer. If you are instead multitracking then technically all you need is one synth because you can create one sound at a time and simply lay down a new track for each part. If you are going DAWless and recorderless, like myself, and just want to create a new composition live on the fly without recording anything, then you need a different approach that will need more gear.

I am taking an "old school" approach to my setup so, for what I'm doing, I look at it like putting together a "band". I will be using a Squarp Pyramid sequencer to "play" all the parts. But that means that I will also need a different instrument for each part. Unless the instrument is multitimbral, you can't use the same instrument to play different parts.

So here is what I have put together as my "band":

Drums - A good drum machine(s). (Cyclone TT-78 & TT-606)
Percussion - Maybe another drum machine. (Alesis SR18)
Bass - A good mono synth. (Moog Sub-Phatty)
Lead - Another good mono synth. (Behringer MonoPoly)
Keys - A good poly synth. (Prophet REV2)
Strings/Pads - A second good poly synth. (Behringer UB-Xa and/or Solina when they become available)
Background fills - Another good synth that can be mono or poly. (Korg OpSix and/or Korg/Arp Odyessy)

So, for me, my "minimal" setup consists of a sequencer, 3 drum machines, 3 mono synths, 3 poly synths, and maybe a stringer. You can switch parts around between the different mono and poly synths depending on what synth will work best for the sound you want. It does actually seem like a lot of equipment but you can't really take anything away without creating a "hole" in your band. Plus we all still actually enjoy having a lot of toys to play with so I guess it's really not that bad!

I do have one other alternative that is a lot more minimal. It's my Mini Rig I take with me in my RV when I'm on the road! It gives me everything I need and is totally computerless! The Roland JD-Xi gives me 2 poly digital and a mono analog synth along with drums. I use this to set up a basic drum/bass/pad/arp accompaniment. The Yamaha CS Reface gives me my "solo" jamming instrument. It sounds great and I can create new sounds on the fly. The little Korg Kaossilator is my EMS VCS3 substitute as I can do the "white noise" effects and it also can double as a Theremin! The entire setup all fits into one small keyboard bag.

It's a lot of fun to jam on and actually sounds really good too!

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
Isn't it minimal just to be in front of one piece of equipment? I think that if you concentrate on one piece of equipment, you will naturally have a minimalist environment.
You don't have to bother to aim for a minimal environment, right?
Like playing piano or guitar or any acoustic instrument really.
It requires your attention and physical input, and you're playing music, instead of making or 'producing' music.

Electronic/digital contains literally endless opportunities to become distracted and lose your focus.
Old 1 week ago
  #66
Gear Addict
 
Minimal has always been my goal, even if I won the lottery I'd still have a small personal music space

Choosing the few items I want to commit to is the hard part though.

It's taken me years to decide what I really want and I feel I'm 95% there now, So by saying 95% what I mean is I used to swap and change 4-5 different items each year and over the years that's got less and less, I'm now only unsure about one item which may get sold when I decide on it's replacement, and that may be my lot.

The hardware chase days are numbered as evil VSTi's take over
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #67
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️

Each one sounded great and made me happy when I played it, but the sell/keep decision came down to this simple test -- what did I actually use when I was trying to create a piece of music?

Secondary considerations were to how reliable/stable it was (if it was old) and how easily did it tie into a sequencing/recording system (either MIDI or cv/gate). For example, loved the CS-80 but also realized I was never going to do live takes/overdubs with it in my setup, so it went out.

Considerations - I found it easier/better to keep more effects units and less synths because pretty much any semi-decent sounding synth can be the basis for a very cool effected sound. Make sure whatever is kept is wired in and ready to play/record with you doing nothing more than powering it on. My patchbays and hw mixer keep my gear footprint under control in that way.

.
Great advise

I always enjoy reading your posts
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
EBDA1176's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Since getting the Prophet 10 Rev 4, I have no interest/need in/for any other analog polys... but I aalso keep the Prologue 16 as it's a great, yet different, tone machine for not much cash and holds up well with the Prophet 10.

Everything else was gladly sold as I 'minimised' to a streamlined setup I've wanted to get to for years.

I've had close to 100 synths (many duplicates) these past 15 years, lots of ebay finds, stuff going back to the SH-2 right up to the latest polys... and most of them were fun, a couple of stinkers along the way (AX-80, Prophet Rev 2, Korg M1 etc... INSIPID) but most have inspired some music and I'm thankful for the journey, but as life goes on I was searching for a synth for all weathers and the Prophet 10 Rev 4 is that, a VAST tonal range far beyond what it appears at first, never sounds bad, genuine depth and presence and not a single other poly analog comes close in my opinion on overall tone/usefulness.. not the Moog One (or Memory Moog for that matter), not the Jupiter 8, none of the slew of 80s vintage DCOs and VCOs I've had. So having found 'my piece' I've now also found my PEACE!

The Prologue was so cheap yet outclasses most of the other stuff I had on tone so it stays and is a great contrast to the Prophet 10. I have no more desire for new polys. And my days of MONO synths are over (I play real bass anyway... and the P10 in unison mode is already MORE than enough for synth bass esp layered with some moog emu - the Prologue is no slouch on bass in mono mode either + 2 subs).

Other than that, a piano, VDrums (TD17KVX), Some guitars etc... yeah I'm done. About the only synth that could even come close to getting my interest again would be an OFFICIAL roland reissue of the Jupiter 8 at a decent price with a few modern features (but it still wouldn't outclass the Prophet 10 on power so...)

Anything else I might need, some weird uber complex synthesis, strings etc I can use software/soft synths for.... I'm not shy with them, very useful if backed up by a genuine tone powerhouse like A Prophet 5/10 rev 4.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Is workstation a minimalist environment? Which workstation is minimal?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #70
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'd sell all the stuff that does not sound "right", is particularly hard to use or was bought because something better wasn't available at the time. That said I'm not into minimalistic setup. I have quite a bit of stuff that I don't currently use, such as Fender Rhodes mk I, MPC 3000 LE, Juno 60 and Tascam 388. They are all awesome, but just don't fit into my current workflow. I still can't justify selling them since they are cool, hold some value and I might still want to create a separate minimalistic setup once I find a space for them and figure out if I could sync them. I've found too many times that once you sell something you miss it afterwards. That said I've never missed selling things like Yamaha SU700 (sorry).
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #71
Gear Nut
 
NawwwwwSun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
I don't personally buy into this idea of finding bliss through limiting my options. If I take a long pause from writing any music, it doesn't matter which piece I sit down with, the results will be fresh and with new ideas.

It's the ideas that are the most important thing.. And those come from the vacuum, its like zero point energy

On GS, its always the train of thought that gear is behind everything, for better or worse. "this song sounds amazing because it used X" "This guys music is rubbish cuz he has too much gear" "this guys music is brill, he uses OG model Y!"...
Ideas should be the primary thing.

For most people, the result of having such unlimited options (including just using a DAW at all) is a bunch of turd polishing.

With unlimited plugins, fx, synths, drum sounds, etc, and unlimited tracks to utilize and unlimited editing options… there isn’t even a trace of an idea in most music anymore. It sounds more like a demo of technical production elements than music.

This is why a true minimalist setup is interesting. It removes basically all of that and forces the idea to be good or it is obvious from moment one.

There are of course artists who can work with many options and build a good idea into something better. These are actually very rare it turns out, but everybody seems to think they are the exception to the rule. lol.

I mean look at Prince and some of his biggest hits. Pop songs with a simple drum machine rhythm and no bassline, but the idea shines through because he was a genius.

The reason you get these “my minimal setup is 17 synths and 35 drum machines, all recorded into a DAW of course” posts is because people are straight up afraid to strip their music down to its ideas. Because there are none there.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawwwwwSun ➡️
Ideas should be the primary thing.

For most people, the result of having such unlimited options (including just using a DAW at all) is a bunch of turd polishing.

With unlimited plugins, fx, synths, drum sounds, etc, and unlimited tracks to utilize and unlimited editing options… there isn’t even a trace of an idea in most music anymore. It sounds more like a demo of technical production elements than music.

This is why a true minimalist setup is interesting. It removes basically all of that and forces the idea to be good or it is obvious from moment one.

There are of course artists who can work with many options and build a good idea into something better. These are actually very rare it turns out, but everybody seems to think they are the exception to the rule. lol.

I mean look at Prince and some of his biggest hits. Pop songs with a simple drum machine rhythm and no bassline, but the idea shines through because he was a genius.

The reason you get these “my minimal setup is 17 synths and 35 drum machines, all recorded into a DAW of course” posts is because people are straight up afraid to strip their music down to its ideas. Because there are none there.
It's also an idea to make music using the characteristics of various synths.
Old 1 week ago
  #73
Lives for gear
 
three86's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
For me it isn't the quantity of gear at any time but the velocity of gear. I have realized that when I get something new (or even the same old gear purchased for the second or third time) I get an amount of creativity and interest in it for days or weeks. So I just buy and sell when I haven't played for a while. Even a guitar pedal will do it and even inspire interest in other gear I have. Downsizing (or upsizing, or re-organizing gear) works the same way because it feels like a new system to explore.

I haven't been in search of the "perfect gear" for a really long time because after steamrolling through so much gear over decades I have found what specific gear works for me with guitar, bass, drums, synths, electronics, recording, orchestra instruments, etc. It is more about using something new for a creative boost.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 
three86's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Also for me ideas or songs or concepts are not what I am going for. Everyone can have their own goals to make them happy for me it is creative outlet and not a job and there is no end result. I can sit and turn a filter knob for a really long time and sometimes that joy is what I need. Or maybe I want to explore experimenting with a counterpoint melodic idea to see what emotion I have. Or see what happens when I put a lfo into another lfo into pitch of the second osc. Or play a ratamacue at x bpm.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
three86's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
Since getting the Prophet 10 Rev 4, I have no interest/need in/for any other analog polys... but I aalso keep the Prologue 16 as it's a great, yet different, tone machine for not much cash and holds up well with the Prophet 10.

Everything else was gladly sold as I 'minimised' to a streamlined setup I've wanted to get to for years.

I've had close to 100 synths (many duplicates) these past 15 years, lots of ebay finds, stuff going back to the SH-2 right up to the latest polys... and most of them were fun, a couple of stinkers along the way (AX-80, Prophet Rev 2, Korg M1 etc... INSIPID) but most have inspired some music and I'm thankful for the journey, but as life goes on I was searching for a synth for all weathers and the Prophet 10 Rev 4 is that, a VAST tonal range far beyond what it appears at first, never sounds bad, genuine depth and presence and not a single other poly analog comes close in my opinion on overall tone/usefulness.. not the Moog One (or Memory Moog for that matter), not the Jupiter 8, none of the slew of 80s vintage DCOs and VCOs I've had. So having found 'my piece' I've now also found my PEACE!

The Prologue was so cheap yet outclasses most of the other stuff I had on tone so it stays and is a great contrast to the Prophet 10. I have no more desire for new polys. And my days of MONO synths are over (I play real bass anyway... and the P10 in unison mode is already MORE than enough for synth bass esp layered with some moog emu - the Prologue is no slouch on bass in mono mode either + 2 subs).
How about a nice moog grandmother if you haven't already owned one There is something magical about that one for me. I too have gone through so many synths and lately grandma and the prologue are what I have been inspired by.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #76
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➡️
Yes I have. He built his own mixing board with custom eq’s and filters. Beautiful. Yea, I just meant that analog/organic sound that records sounded like back then. Even though electronic, they were much looser and spontaneous.


Ok. I thought you were implying that he had a minimalist approach to gear. That's not a minimalists' mixer. :-)

Is was a more organic electronic sound because -- it was all analog, mostly recorded live or with very rudamentary sequencers. No DAW, no fidgety mindset.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Westlaker's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
Make sure whatever is kept is wired in and ready to play/record with you doing nothing more than powering it on. My patchbays and hw mixer keep my gear footprint under control in that way.
This, to me, is the ESSENTIAL consideration when I think about my setup. I do understand why some like the "set up little islands" or "bring things in and out of the rotation" approach -- I get it, and if I had more time and space, I might think about one of those approaches -- but for ME, my setup only really works if I can power it all up and have everything wired in and ready to go more or less instantaneously (I don't even use a patchbay).
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #78
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
Back when it was a problem, I had 100+ synths, about a dozen drum machines, four 7' tall racks of effects, two tape machines, large console, and miles of cabling. Now it all fits in a 7' x 9' space (still hw based).

Initially it was impossible to decide what to sell and what to keep. Every synth had something unique about it that made it different than all its neighbors.

Each one sounded great and made me happy when I played it, but the sell/keep decision came down to this simple test -- what did I actually use when I was trying to create a piece of music?

Secondary considerations were to how reliable/stable it was (if it was old) and how easily did it tie into a sequencing/recording system (either MIDI or cv/gate). For example, loved the CS-80 but also realized I was never going to do live takes/overdubs with it in my setup, so it went out.

Considerations - I found it easier/better to keep more effects units and less synths because pretty much any semi-decent sounding synth can be the basis for a very cool effected sound. Make sure whatever is kept is wired in and ready to play/record with you doing nothing more than powering it on. My patchbays and hw mixer keep my gear footprint under control in that way.

Don't look back and think that if you waited to sell you could have got a lot more money. Yes, if I had hung onto all the rare stuff I had until now, I could have retired after selling it (not really, but it would have been a good start), but I would have had to deal with it and not have had the fun and experiences with other stuff that I did.

The actual goal of it all is not a retirement investment, nor a collector's museum, it's the sounds that come out of it.
Thanks for your reply .. I think I have some fear of letting stuff go because I think I may never be able to attain them again.
Example-it took me a good seven or eight years to find and buy a Sunsyn, I just saw one sell for 10K for me thats a lot of money & I would never pay that for one now anyway.
I had someone offer me 5K for my Fucifier same thing..
Im not interested in retirement or investments I never bought any of it with that in mind..
I sort of march to the beat of a different drummer for someone my age
no kids, no wife, no fancy car, dont do vacations, dont own a home, etc..
Music & gear is my thing..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #79
Gear Nut
 
NawwwwwSun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
Thanks for your reply .. I think I have some fear of letting stuff go because I think I may never be able to attain them again.
Example-it took me a good seven or eight years to find and buy a Sunsyn, I just saw one sell for 10K for me thats a lot of money & I would never pay that for one now anyway.
I had someone offer me 5K for my Fucifier same thing..
Im not interested in retirement or investments I never bought any of it with that in mind..
I sort of march to the beat of a different drummer for someone my age
no kids, no wife, no fancy car, dont do vacations, dont own a home, etc..
Music & gear is my thing..
I promise you this: there is so much more to the world than music and equipment.

If you don’t have an interesting life, what is your music supposed to be SAYING to the people who hear it?

Like this is the essence of minimalism in anything to me. Say the most with the least.

Go live life and then you might find that you don’t need so much stuff to say something meaningful.

Things that inspire me: traveling, food, art, film, my family, plants, dancing, philosophy, literature, history.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #80
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
Thanks for your reply .. I think I have some fear of letting stuff go because I think I may never be able to attain them again.
Example-it took me a good seven or eight years to find and buy a Sunsyn, I just saw one sell for 10K for me thats a lot of money & I would never pay that for one now anyway.
I had someone offer me 5K for my Fucifier same thing..
Music & gear is my thing..
I had the same fears. If it'll make you feel any better, I sold the following knowing I'll never be able to buy them back:

S-P Synthacon (2 one black face, one silver)
Gleeman Pentaphonic (2 black, 1 clear)
CS-80
Sennheiser Vocoder
Synton Fenix (2 of them)
Synton Syrinx (keyboard version and module reissue)
Exclusively Analogue pair of sequencers
RSF Kobol Expanders (multiple I and II)
RSF Kobol (monosynth and polykobol II)
PPG 1002, 1020, and 1003 synths
Fairlight IIx (2 of them)
EMT-251 reverb

As well a a bunch more common stuff from EMS, Moog, Oberheim, etc. Point is - if you're asking about a minimal setup, *something* about your current config is bothering you.

If you're still too attached, then pack it up and move it out of sight and out of the studio config. You'll discover soon enough whether you really miss it or not.
Old 1 week ago
  #81
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I appreciate the sentiment's expressed here whether their condescending or not..

My primary instrument is the guitar.
I fell in love with it as a kid when I was living in Spain watching the Flamenco performances my mother would take me to see.
I went to music school after five years of being self taught studied song structure composition, theory, etc..
I played in bands for years & wrote & made records with just a guitar, a very minimalistic process..

I think my inability to go minimal is a deeper seated psychological issue that I have yet to overcome, anyway feel free to toss in your 2 cent's on how I should be living my life..

I promise I won't get offended.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #82
Here for the gear
 
AnalogRetentive's Avatar
 
Do you play live? If so what do you actually take with you and use? And what get left behind and why? I've found that's a good way to focus on what you need and what's "neat fluff".

Studio only gear is great but not if you can't take it with you and recreate YOUR sound playing live in front of people, VERY often the case with artist's I've went to see because I like their sound only to see/hear they've elected to "heh no one in the crowd can tell the difference" with their gear and sound nothing remotely what you'd expect wishing I'd just stayed home and saved the money.

Be consistent in "your sound" and build around that. Collecting is fun too (I'm no paragon), but don't let it get in the way of your art, use time and resources on the practical stuff first and foremost.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #83
Lives for gear
 
three86's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
I appreciate the sentiment's expressed here whether their condescending or not..

My primary instrument is the guitar.
I fell in love with it as a kid when I was living in Spain watching the Flamenco performances my mother would take me to see.
I went to music school after five years of being self taught studied song structure composition, theory, etc..
I played in bands for years & wrote & made records with just a guitar, a very minimalistic process..

I think my inability to go minimal is a deeper seated psychological issue that I have yet to overcome, anyway feel free to toss in your 2 cent's on how I should be living my life..

I promise I won't get offended.
You can test how you like it without selling your gear. Just put most of it in a closet and see how it goes. Or I like to hide stuff in different rooms like bass in one room, guitar another, drums, synth. I have a lot of gear in total but each of those areas is minimal.

I tried not having guitar or drums or monosynth or poly or whatever many times over the years but for me personally that doesn't make me use whatever gear remains more frequently.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #84
Quote:
Originally Posted by three86 ➡️
How about a nice moog grandmother if you haven't already owned one There is something magical about that one for me. I too have gone through so many synths and lately grandma and the prologue are what I have been inspired by.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #85
Lives for gear
 
kraku's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
I appreciate the sentiment's expressed here whether their condescending or not..

My primary instrument is the guitar.
I fell in love with it as a kid when I was living in Spain watching the Flamenco performances my mother would take me to see.
I went to music school after five years of being self taught studied song structure composition, theory, etc..
I played in bands for years & wrote & made records with just a guitar, a very minimalistic process..

I think my inability to go minimal is a deeper seated psychological issue that I have yet to overcome, anyway feel free to toss in your 2 cent's on how I should be living my life..

I promise I won't get offended.
Since you're a guitarist, try the following setup and see what happens:

Laptop + one analog mono synth + drum machine + guitar and pedals.
All sound sources must be hardware so no software synths allowed in this setup.

That's a really minimal setup and it should keep you focused.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #86
Lives for gear
 
24dB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker ➡️
This, to me, is the ESSENTIAL consideration when I think about my setup. I do understand why some like the "set up little islands" or "bring things in and out of the rotation" approach -- I get it, and if I had more time and space, I might think about one of those approaches -- but for ME, my setup only really works if I can power it all up and have everything wired in and ready to go more or less instantaneously (I don't even use a patchbay).
Same here. Except for the patchbay part. That's why I'm gassing lately for one of these, the ultimate set-and-forget patchbay.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nalog-patchbay

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #87
Gear Nut
 
NawwwwwSun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
I appreciate the sentiment's expressed here whether their condescending or not..

My primary instrument is the guitar.
I fell in love with it as a kid when I was living in Spain watching the Flamenco performances my mother would take me to see.
I went to music school after five years of being self taught studied song structure composition, theory, etc..
I played in bands for years & wrote & made records with just a guitar, a very minimalistic process..

I think my inability to go minimal is a deeper seated psychological issue that I have yet to overcome, anyway feel free to toss in your 2 cent's on how I should be living my life..

I promise I won't get offended.
I was not trying to be condescending in any way.

I literally cannot think of a single piece of meaningful music I’ve ever loved that was about the process of tinkering with equipment.

I like to think philosophically about things like music and art I apologize if that offended you.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawwwwwSun ➡️
Ideas should be the primary thing.

For most people, the result of having such unlimited options (including just using a DAW at all) is a bunch of turd polishing.

With unlimited plugins, fx, synths, drum sounds, etc, and unlimited tracks to utilize and unlimited editing options… there isn’t even a trace of an idea in most music anymore. It sounds more like a demo of technical production elements than music.

This is why a true minimalist setup is interesting. It removes basically all of that and forces the idea to be good or it is obvious from moment one.

There are of course artists who can work with many options and build a good idea into something better. These are actually very rare it turns out, but everybody seems to think they are the exception to the rule. lol.

I mean look at Prince and some of his biggest hits. Pop songs with a simple drum machine rhythm and no bassline, but the idea shines through because he was a genius.

The reason you get these “my minimal setup is 17 synths and 35 drum machines, all recorded into a DAW of course” posts is because people are straight up afraid to strip their music down to its ideas. Because there are none there.
you have some points but are definitely exaggerating the situation. There are way more people making music now from what I am witnessing, so you can easily find the gamut of beginners to advance players/composers. are we all likely buying more than 20 years ago, most definitely. amazing instruments available now for relatively affordable prices. I remember the old days, no thanks. There is absolutely no shortage of ideas in art right now. the shortage is in our time to enjoy it or the money to support it.
Old 1 week ago
  #89
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
To much gear makes me anxious and nervous.....Completely kills my creativity. I like minimal setups with everything ready to go in my DAW template. I don t want to think to much about gear when i'm in "the moment"
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #90
Gear Nut
 
NawwwwwSun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve ➡️
There is absolutely no shortage of ideas in art right now. the shortage is in our time to enjoy it or the money to support it.
It’s not possible for me to disagree more strongly. Lots and lots of turd polishing out there, lots of uninspired music school sounding crap, lots of paint by numbers in every genre.

I have high expectations though.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2125 views: 287511
Avatar for dtekproduk
dtekproduk 15th June 2021
replies: 55 views: 7492
Avatar for asynchro_nous
asynchro_nous 11th February 2021
replies: 2331 views: 40068
Avatar for onewire
onewire 3 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump