Quantcast
Behringer SH-5 Clone (MS-5) - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer SH-5 Clone (MS-5)
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #181
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
it used to be about fun, freedom, class A and lots of sweating

now it is mostly about twats with phones and IG

don't get triggered snowflakes, i said mostly
Tut, tut. There you go expressing opinions. Thought police coming at ya.
Old 4 days ago
  #182
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I have quite a few monos, and an SH-7 that I'll never part with. Incredible machine. Really looking forward to the BH-5 tho, especially if Rob Kemble of AMS is possibly involved. Filter topologies bet the SH7 and 5 are obv different. Does anyone know about the VCOs -- I'm assuming they're identical?

Last edited by millionmiles; 4 days ago at 10:42 AM.. Reason: fact check
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #183
Gear Head
 
nesmeured's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionmiles ➡️
Really looking forward to the BH-5 tho, especially with Rob Kemble of AMS at the helm.?
he didn't contribute on this one
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #184
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesmeured ➡️
he didn't contribute on this one
True -- i can't confirm it. But seems Rob's been chiming in on various forums about the build and specs—there were some resulting comments that he's helped Berry on this project since he built SH5 clone modules for AMS. If he's not involved with the BH5, then yes, def disregard my comment saying so
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #185
Lives for gear
 
kurzweil's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Reviewers tend to associate 'good build quality' with metal, so that's another incentive to use steel for front panels at least. If Behr made a SH-5 in a plastic case there would be instant sneering.

Personally, I like light synths for doing anything live with. I've dropped my 101 once or twice and the ABS plastic survived well, but the pots were quite exposed each time (but also survived, minus one cap). So long as the synth is packaged up well then it should be fine. It's not like we're going on world tours anytime soon..

However, stage synths really need program memories to make them viable IMO, unless you're prepared to carry a collection of them around with you. At this price, that's actually getting tempting.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #186
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️

However, stage synths really need program memories to make them viable IMO, unless you're prepared to carry a collection of them around with you. At this price, that's actually getting tempting.
Agree, although I would even go a step farther as a current SH-5 owner and state that an SH-5 with patch memory would be huge.

The SH-5 is a complex monosynth with a slightly wonky interface. For this reason, it takes work to program it.

Programming something as simple as a solid bass-type patch, which takes seconds on an SH-101 or even an SH-2, can take a while on the SH-5.

I've made dozens of patches I love on it, but because it's such a PITA to program these patches a second time (even with an iPhone full of SH-5 photos!), my SH-5 often just stays on a single patch.

So it would be REALLY nice if B goes a step beyond the original and adds patch memory.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #187
Lives for gear
 
kurzweil's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up ➡️
Agree, although I would even go a step farther as a current SH-5 owner and state that an SH-5 with patch memory would be huge.

The SH-5 is a complex monosynth with a slightly wonky interface. For this reason, it takes work to program it.

Programming something as simple as a solid bass-type patch, which takes seconds on an SH-101 or even an SH-2, can take a while on the SH-5.

I've made dozens of patches I love on it, but because it's such a PITA to program these patches a second time (even with an iPhone full of SH-5 photos!), my SH-5 often just stays on a single patch.

So it would be REALLY nice if B goes a step beyond the original and adds patch memory.
I'm looking forward to the post-clone phase of instrument development from Behr. Then they can focus on making their own "best of" frankenstein synths, using the best sounding component combinations, but also designed with patch memories and digital controls from the outset.
Old 4 days ago
  #188
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
ugh... Just checked prices of Behringer synths at Store DJ a big retailer here in Sydney. yesterday and for the last year the gray and blue 2600 clone was $969 now is $1159, POLY D was $999 now is $1129, same with MONO POLY it was $999 now is $1129 plus a $60 increase on all the other rack synths like Pro1 neutron etc..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #189
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter ➡️
Behringer's SH-5 is 1/2 the weight of Rolands (10 vs 20kg). That's a plus in any roadies book.

I do like the road case though. Flip-top doesn't protect the face, although a simple piece of foam, cardboard, and a bungie cord or two will do the job nicely.
A roadie once dropped my SH-5 onto a nightclub dining table while going downstairs, on the way down it hit some poor guy on the shoulder, and destroyed everyone's meal,
luckily, no one was hurt, and the SH-5 was fine, but that thing weighed a ton, I sold it in 2004, still miss it
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #190
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorez22 ➡️
A roadie once dropped my SH-5 onto a nightclub dining table while going downstairs, on the way down it hit some poor guy on the shoulder, and destroyed everyone's meal,
luckily, no one was hurt, and the SH-5 was fine, but that thing weighed a ton, I sold it in 2004, still miss it
Imagine doing that with a CS-80!,
I wonder what death by CS-80 feels like
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #191
Lives for gear
 
Mastropiero's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL ➡️
Imagine doing that with a CS-80!,
I wonder what death by CS-80 feels like
It feels like Death by Snu Snu:

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #192
Gear Addict
 
toitoy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL ➡️
Imagine doing that with a CS-80!,
I wonder what death by CS-80 feels like




something like this
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #193
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Not the same but still reminds me of this:

Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #194
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
what do you mean? I was referring to the fact that both the minimoog and monopoly had 43 keys, and the Poly D and MonoPoly have 37.
A few recent Moog products come with a puny 25 as opposed to no less than 3 octaves previously on those very same synth designs
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #195
Gear Head
 
cambodia risen's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
ugh... Just checked prices of Behringer synths at Store DJ a big retailer here in Sydney. yesterday and for the last year the gray and blue 2600 clone was $969 now is $1159, POLY D was $999 now is $1129, same with MONO POLY it was $999 now is $1129 plus a $60 increase on all the other rack synths like Pro1 neutron etc..
Store DJ are now the most expensive advertised price generally. Probably price match still though.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #196
Here for the gear
 
SH5

Behringer SH5? yes please! I've wanted one of these since I was in shorts. Please keep the original form factor!
Old 1 day ago
  #197
Lives for gear
 
XAXAU's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Yes please Uli

But no need for that big ol case, tilt the panel down like on the Sequential Pro 3 and you got a winner

But it better have patch memory and a VST editor or I’m out
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #198
Lives for gear
 
kurzweil's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU ➡️
Yes please Uli

But no need for that big ol case, tilt the panel down like on the Sequential Pro 3 and you got a winner

But it better have patch memory and a VST editor or I’m out
This isn't going to be a version with patch memories (it's a simple re-boot of the original circuits), but it would be good to see Behr do a monosynth with patch memories and full digital control at some stage.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #199
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
This isn't going to be a version with patch memories (it's a simple re-boot of the original circuits), but it would be good to see Behr do a monosynth with patch memories and full digital control at some stage.
DM6 in mono mode?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #200
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
DM6 in mono mode?
Presets on a monosynth are like tits on a tree.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #201
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter ➡️
Presets on a monosynth are like tits on a tree.
Old 1 day ago
  #202
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ha! Good one!
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
  #203
Lives for gear
 
kurzweil's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
DM6 in mono mode?
That might be a bit 'thin' for a mono?
A single voice of a JP8 might sound interesting..?
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
  #204
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
That might be a bit 'thin' for a mono?
A single voice of a JP8 might sound interesting..?
I'd have thought that 6 voices stacked up would not be too thin.
Old 9 hours ago | Show parent
  #205
That would be Unison mode, not Mono mode.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 57 views: 14879
Avatar for Loopsample
Loopsample 30th September 2019
replies: 104 views: 18039
Avatar for buckan
buckan 28th March 2019
replies: 3672 views: 334415
Avatar for logodave
logodave 2 hours ago
replies: 66 views: 12066
Avatar for jags
jags 6th June 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump