The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Joins The Focusrite Group
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sequential Joins The Focusrite Group

It’s with great excitement that I announce that Sequential is joining the Focusrite Group of music and audio brands.

We're now part of a family made up of some of the best and brightest companies in the music instruments and pro audio industries: Focusrite, Focusrite Pro, Martin Audio, Optimal Audio, ADAM Audio, Novation and Ampify Music. We’re in good company!

But don't worry — we’re not going anywhere. It’s business as usual for us and we'll be a separate entity from the other brands in the group. I’ll continue to lead our engineering and product development and work with the Sequential design team into the future. If anything, I'll have more time to make amazing synths!

- Dave Smith
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It'd be interesting to see what a Sequential - Novation collaboration would bring to the table... maybe a beefed up Prophet X+ or something?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Is this going to make my pre-Novation P5 more collectible?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Usually when brands "merge" in this way, it always sets off alarm bells in my head. But this might work.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren ➡️
Usually when brands "merge" in this way, it always sets off alarm bells in my head. But this might work.
Yea my first thought was "why"? Followed by "this doesn't usually end well".

Strange move
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wonder if Dave is cashing out to prepare for retirement. Or maybe the past year has just forced them to sell to keep afloat...

I sure hope the designers there will still have the ability to explore along the lines of the last few years. They’ve created some real masterpieces lately and would love to see that continue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➡️
Yea my first thought was "why"? Followed by "this doesn't usually end well".

Strange move
Maybe DS is planning to retire one day. That was my first thought.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's a bit strange to have both Novation and Sequential in the same group since they are competitors with overlapping product categories. Makes you wonder if/how this will affect future products from these companies. Will Sequential focus more on completely analog synths and Novation on digital and hybrids? I would hate if Sequential would not continue on the hybrid path of P12 and Pro-3, but I would also not expect Novation to give up their new hybrid platform they use for Peak and Summit.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Oxford oscillators in a new Prophet 12 rev 2?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unease ➡️
It's a bit strange to have both Novation and Sequential in the same group since they are competitors with overlapping product categories. Makes you wonder if/how this will affect future products from these companies. Will Sequential focus more on completely analog synths and Novation on digital and hybrids? I would hate if Sequential would not continue on the hybrid path of P12 and Pro-3, but I would also not expect Novation to give up their new hybrid platform they use for Peak and Summit.
There’s some overlap but Novation really only has 2 synths—Bass Station and its variations and the Summit/Peak. Their main focus is mostly controllers. The Summit/Peak is really the only product that seems to compete with the Seq line.

I’m wondering more if they’ll be thinking about offshoring production...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
History repeat itself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does it mean Sequential would move production to mainland China?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
may be a way to circumvent scarcity of components ?
And get closer to Europe ?
Can Brexit be allowing this move since Focusrite is Albion based ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
So Dave gets his coveted name "Sequential" back for free, then sells it?
Old 1 week ago
A_C
Gear Maniac

I don't want a Prophet with a Focusrite logo on it.

Time to panic-buy current stock!

Also, I'm imagining Uli Behringer stroking an off-brand white cat and cashing out some stocks to make an offer on Focusrite.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
People, this is a business move. At some point people want to monetize their brand name and legacy. This is the time.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
good move imo

both brands are loved

whether this is the setup for more of a backseat role or not it will be good to see it play out
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This makes a lot of sense, Sequential can leverage group functions like distribution, sales and marketing while focusing on the stuff they do that’s unique to them - designing and building synths. I suspect it does mean Novation will be more focused on the more accessible end of the market so we probably won’t see a follow up to the Summit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess that this will allow Dave to step back a bit, while still being involved in the business.

He knows better than most how precarious the electronic music gear industry is. This secures the future of Sequential - and its staff - for at least the medium term.

And if it earns Dave a bit of a windfall it is well deserved.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
I suspect it does mean Novation will be more focused on the more accessible end of the market so we probably won’t see a follow up to the Summit.
Would be a shame if true, fingers crossed they'll eventually release Summit Else.
Old 1 week ago
Terminologist

My impression is that this will result in Novation concentrating more on MIDI controllers and the lower end of the market (Circuit, Mininova, Bass station, their Launchkey MIDI controllers, etc.) while concentrating less on Summit like synthesizers. Sequential has made a number of digital synths: The Prophet 12, as mentioned before, as well as the Prophet X (one of the relatively few new melodic samplers out there), so I think the next iteration of the Summit will be re-branded the “Prophet 16” or some such, and have the analog half developed by Dave Smith.

I think there’s a pretty big niche for high end analog; there are a lot of people out there starting out with hardware who are willing to spend $2,000 to $3,000 on their first synth. A good Sequential, like an OB-6 or Prophet 6, would be the perfect first synth for them. So I don’t see Sequential’s niche going anywhere any time soon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Doesn't change anything for me at least short-term, but obviously there will be some interesting designs. I hope it is good for everyone involved.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Isn't Focusrite a UK-registered collection of companies ? I wonder if building UK-US distribution and manafacturing links is part of the idea, as mentioned.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
Isn't Focusrite a UK-registered collection of companies ? I wonder if building UK-US distribution links is part of the idea, as mentioned.
Focusrite plc is an English music and audio products group based in High Wycombe, England.

I just hope this doesn't mean Novation stop supporting the Summit. It's a great synth as is the Peak and would be a shame if they no longer work on this line up. Maybe the Summit didn't sell too well so Focusrite bought the market.

I can't see any serious downsides for Sequential. Dave can focus on what he does best and has serious financial backing to innovate.

Last edited by jobinho; 1 week ago at 12:32 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can kind of see a logic here. Dave has always said he didn't want Sequential to get as dangerously big as it did in the 80's, before it went bust, but over the last year it's occurred to me that Sequential must have become a really quite a large company in turns of turnover and sales, even a market leader, with the Prophet 5, but still with only a tiny staff. Maybe that wasn't sustainable, in which case handing over and delegating distribution, marketing and a whole load of other issues to a UK-based group makes a lot of sense - especially as that's also where a lot of Uli Behringer's rival operation is based, too.

Last edited by wendell r.; 1 week ago at 10:08 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If this eventually means a better UK price for the ob6 then great
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

(imagines reissue of Tetra with Circuit sequencer)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator ➡️
(imagines reissue of Tetra with Circuit sequencer)
It does raise some interesting possibilities, especially with the two companies staying fully separate but doing some interesting collaborations.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My only fear is that the stellar support I’ve received from Sequential over the years will be compromised in some way because of this.

Other than that: looking forward to new products that will come out of this!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy ➡️
I wonder if Dave is cashing out to prepare for retirement. Or maybe the past year has just forced them to sell to keep afloat...

I sure hope the designers there will still have the ability to explore along the lines of the last few years. They’ve created some real masterpieces lately and would love to see that continue.
Well, he did mention in the video that it was 50 years ago when he graduated. This means he's not a young man anymore. And age gets the best of us all at some point.

I believe if Focusrite can take off some company management duties of Dave's shoulders he'll be very happy.
📝 Reply