The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Joins The Focusrite Group
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinho ➡️
I agree, the Pro 2 is one of the most technical and unique synths I've owned - I'd love them to explore this dimension some more.
A Poly 5octave PolyAT Pro 2+ with the Pro 3s Analog VCOs and Seq featires added on would be glorious.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Anything more complicated than a stringer is overkill for a polysynth imo.

Dave understandably hates reissuing old stuff, but I hope Focusrite nudges DSI towards making the Pro One, at least, available again. The P5 and Pro One are the butterscotch Tele and black Les Paul of synths and it's kind of silly to not have them available.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
Debating on taking a student loan for a Rev2, P6, P5 or even just buy back the Prologue16. Cant decide....
Personally, I'd never take out a (large) loan to buy a synth unless it's interest-free credit. My philosophy is to buy stuff that I can afford, because most of the music that I love was made on low-cost equipment or at least started on that level and built up.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
Anything more complicated than a stringer is overkill for a polysynth imo.

Dave understandably hates reissuing old stuff, but I hope Focusrite nudges DSI towards making the Pro One, at least, available again. The P5 and Pro One are the butterscotch Tele and black Les Paul of synths and it's kind of silly to not have them available.
I agree. A full-size Pro One with MIDI and a decent keyboard would be nice to have in the market. I love how they brought the P5 back full size (or nearly).
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 ➡️
Yeah, I was thinking about "pure" synths. Workstations are another category in my opinion, more akin to stage pianos.
My old and trusty M1 that's sitting here next to me started crying when I read him the above. 2 layers of osc/filter/dual EG/lfo/effects, 100 PCM waveforms as base osc-sound, 8 possible layers... How is that not a proper synth? Because of the PCM waves? Or because the filter doesn't self-resonate? Or because it's not (yawn) analog?
Calling my M1 a glorified stage piano... dude... my M1 is never going to buy you a beer now...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
With millions in cash flow it seems Sequential would be unstoppable on new products next few years!

I love my Prophet 12 Module for it's sound and capabilities. I'd love to add a couple more modules like a sequential Tempest X
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmeister ➡️
My old and trusty M1 that's sitting here next to me started crying when I read him the above. 2 layers of osc/filter/dual EG/lfo/effects, 100 PCM waveforms as base osc-sound, 8 possible layers... How is that not a proper synth? Because of the PCM waves? Or because the filter doesn't self-resonate? Or because it's not (yawn) analog?
Calling my M1 a glorified stage piano... dude... my M1 is never going to buy you a beer now...
Hahahaha no offence meant! It's the same way that I don't consider the Kronos a synth, even if it's more powerful than 99.9% of all synths ever created. Just different uses and context, rather than lesser synth capabilities.
I just intended that the M1 customer base was not the pure synthesists whom may have bought a 2600 or minimoog, but rather more "generalist" players. Which is not a bad thing of course, actually the M1 probably CREATED that market segment!

But in that respect, any digital piano would be also classified as a synth (because it IS one), which would reduce even more the (un)importance of our little glorious Minimoogs, Microkorgs and DX7s.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
No offence taken. Back when I bought my M1 I would have loved to get a Mini or any other classic synth, but as a (then) student with a "money for one machine" budget, choosing between an analog mono synth or a multitimbral polyphonic beast like the M1 really wasn't that hard . Minimoog and M1 were about the same price back then. Go figure - that's a lot more sonic complexity for the same money.
And no, this has little to do with Sequential and Focusrite, so let's not derail this thread any further...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmeister ➡️
No offence taken. Back when I bought my M1 I would have loved to get a Mini or any other classic synth, but as a (then) student with a "money for one machine" budget, choosing between an analog mono synth or a multitimbral polyphonic beast like the M1 really wasn't that hard . Minimoog and M1 were about the same price back then. Go figure - that's a lot more sonic complexity for the same money.
And no, this has little to do with Sequential and Focusrite, so let's not derail this thread any further...
If only we'd known then what those analog synths would be worth now.. I would have been buying them up instead of FM synths in the 90s. Not that I could've afforded a Minimoog even then mind you..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla ➡️
With millions in cash flow it seems Sequential would be unstoppable on new products next few years!

I love my Prophet 12 Module for it's sound and capabilities. I'd love to add a couple more modules like a sequential Tempest X
Yes! I have a Prophet 12 Desktop Module as well and would also love to see a Tempest module! The Tempest sounds so good.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder if this could be the first of several mergers between 'vintage' synth brands and larger companies with broader portfolios and bigger distribution / manufacturing networks?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
I wonder if this could be the first of several mergers between 'vintage' synth brands and larger companies with broader portfolios and bigger distribution / manufacturing networks?
How was the relationship between Yamaha and sequential in the past?
Is it totally different?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
So many whizkid financiers on this thread!

$24M is chicken feed in California. A reminder of how tiny and frail synth companies really are.
After 2 years of Covid, to some extent all companies are frail today.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
How was the relationship between Yamaha and sequential in the past?
Is it totally different?
I think Yamaha were buying a company that was in trouble (1987), and resulted in quite a bit of liquidation of stocks and ideas that might otherwise have been continued by Sequential. It was quite one-sided with Yamaha taking control of the company. This time it's quite different..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
I think Yamaha were buying a company that was in trouble (1987), and resulted in quite a bit of liquidation of stocks and ideas that might otherwise have been continued by Sequential. It was quite one-sided with Yamaha taking control of the company. This time it's quite different..
Thank you for your answer.
I hope that a new and attractive product will be born.
📝 Reply