Quantcast
XR18 config with hardware effects - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
XR18 config with hardware effects
Old 27th April 2021
Lives for gear

XR18 config with hardware effects

I have an XR18, but I only know the very basics of how to use it. I can plug things into the inputs and hear them in the mains/headphones. That's 95% of how I use it.

Well, today I got my first hardware effect for my rig and I'd like to run various instruments through it at various times. I have the effect physically wired up in stereo to take input from Aux 5 and 6 (linked), and send it back in through inputs 13 and 14 (linked).

What I need help with is how to configure the software to send an instrument to the effect, and then get that sound back out to the mix/mains. I would also like to kill the dry sound of the instrument(s) being sent to the effect, since I'd like to work the wet/dry on the effect during performance.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 27th April 2021
Here for the gear

You can use the sends like you would with a hardware mixer.

It's really simple, but can appear to be complicated due to the gui etc.

Stick the out out of the aux/send to the input of your pedal.

Have the out put of your pedal going to a spare channel (input) and then you have your loop, like you would with a hardware mixer, that doesn't have a return.

In the gui click on the channel you wish to send to the effect.

At the top there's a list of functions like inputs, compressor, effects etc. The one that says sends is the one you want.

Pull the channel which correlates to your aux/send/pedal up, and that sends the signal to the effect.

Then pull the channel you have set for the return up, and you hear the effect.

Careful to reduce the volume of the input channel, to avoid feedback.

Hopefully that's explained it clearly. I've been up since 2am with a unwell child!
Old 27th April 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Now, if you want to cheat the fact it has no dedicated insert i/o

On the AUX send bus click The top selection for your channel (I think it's labelled input stage) pull down your channel fader you want the insert on and raise the return channel coming from your hardware , faux inserts , using this method you can select more than one channel per AUX 'insert' too

Don't forget you can chain your internal fx too, when you explore them they are really quite good (look for the extra pages on the fx units)
Old 27th April 2021
Lives for gear

Thank you! Digesting these answers and some other information from YouTube.

I was under the impression that the FX sends were for the internal effects but apparently they're not. I'm thinking those would be useful for me here.

My best idea so far:
  1. route instrument inputs to FX 1/2
  2. route FX 1/2 to aux 5/6
  3. route aux 5/6 out to effect
  4. send effect output back to 13/14 inputs
  5. route 13/14 inputs to LR mains
Old 27th April 2021
Lives for gear

Keep in mind on the top there is an Insert option as well. Activating it routes the channel directly to an internal FX, processing the channel entirely in line (like an EQ).

Of course that removes the FX from the FX sends bus. But it might be useful to run an overall EQ or compressor (like the Combinator) across a sub group or the main outs.
Old 27th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping ➡️
Thank you! Digesting these answers and some other information from YouTube.

I was under the impression that the FX sends were for the internal effects but apparently they're not. I'm thinking those would be useful for me here.

My best idea so far:
  1. route instrument inputs to FX 1/2
  2. route FX 1/2 to aux 5/6
  3. route aux 5/6 out to effect
  4. send effect output back to 13/14 inputs
  5. route 13/14 inputs to LR mains

Aux 1-6 are for the real world

Sends 1-4 are your internal

totally independent of each other

Oh, do your self a favour and set up snapshots, they are truly amazing , set up some routing, your favourite fx etc and save it, then at a push of a button call it back. All routing, all fx, everything. This way you can mix and match , experiment without fear of forgetting a great setup

I've got different ones for when I'm using indi outs of drum boxes, ones just for standard 18 trk use cases etc etc
Old 27th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Snapshots can also be recalled via midi too so that they automatically set everything up for you on a per song basis. The midi implementation is quite extensive.
Old 27th April 2021
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for your tips, this is even better than I expected. I got it working, will post an update soon of the details in case it helps someone else later on.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin ➡️
Snapshots can also be recalled via midi too so that they automatically set everything up for you on a per song basis. The midi implementation is quite extensive.
One thing I'm unsure of regarding the midi implementation - is it only via the standard midi ports, or can it also be controlled via USB?

I'd like to use a controller for the main volume, but a one knob, midi din device is pretty much unicorn dust.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostpassword ➡️
One thing I'm unsure of regarding the midi implementation - is it only via the standard midi ports, or can it also be controlled via USB?

I'd like to use a controller for the main volume, but a one knob, midi din device is pretty much unicorn dust.
Not tried it over usb, I have mine for live use so it connects to my synth via 5 pin din. It's great like that as when I change songs it changes as soon as the song is loaded which is practically instantly.
Lives for gear

Quote:

X-Touch One or X-Touch Mini, maybe? https://www.behringer.com/catalog.ht...5&pageNumber=1
Deleted d6ffc70
Quote:

Get a Mackie Big Knob Passive. Run your mains at unity into the big knob and then plug your monitors into the big knob. You will then be able to turn volume all the way up or totally silent.

Can't imagine ever not using one
Old 28th April 2021
Lives for gear

Okay, here's what I ended up doing. This isn't rocket science but maybe this will help someone else someday.

For each instrument that I want to put through my hardware effect, I bring up its level in the bus out to the effect. Then I turn off the LR mains for that channel so I don't double up on the dry signal. This is so I can adjust the wet/dry mix on the effect box as a performance tool.
Old 29th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping ➡️
X-Touch One or X-Touch Mini, maybe? https://www.behringer.com/catalog.ht...5&pageNumber=1
I did consider these, but space etc.
Old 29th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d6ffc70 ➡️
Get a Mackie Big Knob Passive. Run your mains at unity into the big knob and then plug your monitors into the big knob. You will then be able to turn volume all the way up or totally silent.

Can't imagine ever not using one
Good shout. I have a behringer passive monitor knob somewhere.
Old 30th April 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Good shout. I have a behringer passive monitor knob somewhere.
Wow I'm glad you mentioned this - I've been wanting this exact thing but without the extras of the Mackie Big Knob. I love my XR18 but it's kind of crazy you have to buy the volume knob separately
Old 30th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrecklessEyeball ➡️
Wow I'm glad you mentioned this - I've been wanting this exact thing but without the extras of the Mackie Big Knob. I love my XR18 but it's kind of crazy you have to buy the volume knob separately
Hahah yeah it is.

It's such a 'modern' interface, with so many possibilities, and various ways to interface with it, but no main volume control!

I think the passive control cost me about £20 as well. As its passive, it shouldn't really matter that's its behringer either.
Old 30th April 2021
Lives for gear

Those tips about snapshots were pure gold. I had used them before but now I'm using them a lot more, really makes things easier when changing the effect routing. Thanks again!
📝 Reply