The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synths against the wall
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Synths against the wall

So after 30 years fooling with synths, I have reached the point of having a couple keyboard instruments leaning against the wall, literally gathering dust, instead of being set up at all times.

The loiterers are functional enough, but either dinged up in some way or worth less to others than they are to me—no cash cows here.

It definitely feels strange having excess instruments, tho they are part of the family and have their own special talents. (Right now it’s the Z1, SH201, and Deepmind 12 on the wall—I was just playing the DM this morning.) Feels like I’m living in a mansion or something, kind of weird and decadent ... but pleasing too.

What do you have against the wall ... in the closet... under the bed ... if anything? Any particular reason why, beyond “not using it” or “no room”?
Old 1 week ago
I only have one leaning against the wall. It's my Native Instruments controller. It's old tech now since newer generation models have made the one I have a bit obsolete. I use a synth as my main controller now.
Old 1 week ago
Sry
Gear Maniac

Just the Roland Alpha Juno-1 again-1 the wall. (and a few each units and effect units in a large box).
Wanted it set up in the living room as a sort of songwriting corner connected to some digital rack synths and maybe connected to a drum machine for simple rhythm stuff and somehow it all became too “complicated” or maybe too messy to get it sorted the way I wanted it. Haven’t given up in the idea but put it on ice a few months back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
imo it is poison

sell or box up an store if you cannot hang or rack somewhere
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm maxed out on space - my SQ-80 is sitting on two barstools, and my RS-09 and DX100 are against the wall. Actually, two synths out for repair/mods have allowed me to use the stand slots, and I'm moving to an apartment whose floor plan will give me more usable (less wasted) space, so I'll probably get one more stand and get everything organized.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
I only have one leaning against the wall. It's my Native Instruments controller. It's old tech now since newer generation models have made the one I have a bit obsolete. I use a synth as my main controller now.
The programmable mod/pitch strips are super unique, I still use it as my main controller. It will eventually get replaced with the osmose expressive e but I wish someone would come out with a mod strip controller like the ones on the original komplete controllers. You can get similar with ipad but doesnt really work as nicely.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Even if they're not out.. why not just hook them up?

I have a Kawai K4 leaning against the wall, but I have it MIDIed up and audio out - so if I want to play it, I can just turn it on and treat it like a module (it has virtually no hands-on control anyway)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A Rhodes, a Korg oasys and a k2500 against the wall.

Also have some in the closet, including two Yamaha vlm70s and a dave smith desktop evolver. Some old Korg drum machine from the 80s, too. A jd 990 and a triton rack.

Probably more I simply don’t recall - time to run some classifieds I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All in all it's just another synth on the wall
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To avoid this problem I release one track a year with nearly every piece of gear I own on it.

My last track had 9 synths on it, next one will have all 11. For example, I do custom drum patches - one synth for each piece of kit such as the Korg MS20M for hihats.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Leaning against the wall I have two Roland A-70s and a Kurzweil Midiboard. A huge improvement after selling a lot of stuff
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've always managed to avoid that as it's so messy. I've run out of space now though lol
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Studiologic SL880 PRO on Left. Roland A800 PRO on Right
Attached Thumbnails
Synths against the wall-img_0830.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Access Virus B under the Brown Towel
Attached Thumbnails
Synths against the wall-img_0831.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Polivoks, siel mono, minikorg 700s, mpc2000xl and emu xboard at my parents attic.
Why, 1; I put them there last year when I was moving. Now I don't have space to place all my synths at the same time so I switch them around.

Tr727, novation nova, tr505, euhm some other small stuff in a box in the studio also because no room and switching stuff every now and then.

I'm not selling stuff which I want to use later and stuff is only getting more expensive so it would be ridiculous to sell something and buy it back for a higher price...
bax
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTron ➡️
I'm not selling stuff which I want to use later and stuff is only getting more expensive so it would be ridiculous to sell something and buy it back for a higher price...
Yep, I hate buying gear back (done that twice, OG V-Synth+ both cards, Kurzweil KSP8).

If "Synths and gear in the closet so the wife won't complain about it seeing it" also counts instead of "Synths against the wall" then:

Kurzweil K2600 (76-key)
Korg OASYS 76
Akai MINIAK
Novation Ultranova
Yamaha A4000
Yamaha VL70m+WX5 wind controller
Yamaha SY-99
Yamaha 01v96R2 digital mixer+cards
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
E-Mu Morpheus
E-Mu EmaxII (keys AND rack)
Sony DPS-V77
Various controllers
MIDI interfaces

Wow, that's sad. I know I *should* be selling most of this stuff at this point but it is either too big/heavy for shipping, might be "worth something" someday, will cost more to sell than to keep, or I think "maybe I'll use this again someday" so in the closet it sits...

Is there some kind of intervention group or something?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy ➡️
What do you have against the wall ... in the closet... under the bed ... if anything? Any particular reason why, beyond “not using it” or “no room”?
about 2/3 of my gear is shelved in the closet.

this is intentional.

some of that gear is spare units (e.g. Command Stations).

some gear is obsolete and not used anymore — but not obsolete enough to care about selling it right now for money that won't fund me anything substantial anyway (e.g. RM1x). especially when i know that future prices will only grow up.

some machines were intended for projects that i discontinued, but might resurrect someday (e.g. PreenFM2)

some machines are sacred artifacts (e.g. MC-80 or EMX-1)

for others it's just a shelving phase of gear rotation cycle.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️
hahaha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Spread the good, invade another room
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 ➡️
Studiologic SL880 PRO on Left. Roland A800 PRO on Right
Those covers look like synth body bags.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
Those covers look like synth body bags.
Yep, They are inexpensive. Stretchy. But do a great job. Got them at GC.

The Studiologic has the best keybed I've ever used, but was starting to have some problems like when you switched the power on, it would sometimes reverse how the pedal worked. It's too heavy to ship and don't want to throw it away. One day, I'll..........do.... something with it......maybe.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm kind of in the same situation. My GAS has outgrown my small studio. I have synths on stands, desks, walls, floor, couch, etc. It's getting out of control but I love them all and don't want to part with any of them. What is a gearspacer to do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resogun ➡️

Synths against the wall-20210221_215551_hdr.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Synths against the wall-20210221_215551_hdr.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
OK, I'll play.

Master bedroom: Hammond SK2, Wavestation EX, K2000, SY-77, EX-5, VFX-SD, DW-8000, MR-76, SH-201, K3, ESQ-1, Micron

2nd bedroom: (5) Evolver desktops, Beatstep Pro, Ventilator, AW-16G, MG-16FX, RM-1X, Ultranova, SH-09, Mini AK, MPK-49, V50, EPS, VK-6, MK-6, SY-35, AN1x, ESQ-1, VFX-SD, VFX, AW-4416

Shed: P600, SP-76, SL-990, VFX, XK-6, AW-4416

2nd bathroom: assorted misc gear

I have one space in the studio for rotating synths in & out; a DX-7II-FD occupies this spot presently. The K3 was there previously; other synths I plan to rotate in next are ESQ-1, DW-8000, V50, VFX-SD, EX-5, AN1x and Ultranova.

My Hammond SK1 is against a studio wall in a case as well; it is part of a gig rig for an original music project and is set up when practicing for that band.

Having gone through the K3 finally, I may sell it or lend it out. Not as interesting to me as other synths I have.

Synths take a while to really go through and learn; I'm rotating some of the simpler ones in & out to start.

I also have 33 or so synths set up and ready to play in the studio, but that's not what this thread is about.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I sold all my "against the wall" synths except for a DX100 (gotta have an FM lying around even if I don't use it regularly) but my wall and cupboard is currently populated with drum machines. I have a TR8S as the daily driver but when I record a track I want use the real thing so pull it out and get them wired in - Oberheim DX, TR-707, TR-606, RD-8, DR-660, RX11 all have that slight edge over samples or emulation for one reason or another and are small enough that I just hold onto them. Not enough inputs on any mixer to keep them wired in the whole time with all those individual outs! I think against the wall is a pretty good option for synths etc as they are easy to grab and there's less surface area for dust to settle on. I have covers for a lot of my synths but I've sort of gone off them as they look like they're in storage and add that slight extra bit of friction to making the leap to turning something on "just for a quick sec" to check something out - which usually turns into more fun than expected.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
In a house with pets/kids etc they seem seem too much like an accident waiting to happen lean up against a wall.
I dont have that many but I store them horizontally on Ikea shelves (preferably with some sort of dust cover) -
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yocto back in a box to sell at some point, keeping the RD-8 instead. Bought the RD-8 when my Yocto got sent to a Tech(now fixed).

PG-200 not in use as upgraded to kiwi-3P with kiwi controller. Not needed anymore, probably sell it.

TD-3 still unopened, I already have an OG TT-303. I was thinking to sell the TT-303 and pocket the difference at the time, might still do so one day.

Studiospares SN-10 monitor pair(Yammy clones), given to me for free, keeping as I may want or need them in the future as spares incase mine give up the ghost one day, they're mint and hardly used.

Behringer Noise Suppressor and Delay pedal not in use currently.

Behringer FX2000 back in box as replaced by a Lexicon MX200.

Everything else hooked up and plumbed in all the time.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The current "against the wall / storage room" list:

Yamaha Motif 7: My old trusty companion...although I own a montage 6, this old bastard has been my only synth/keyboard for years and went through so many things I can't get myself to part with it (And on top of that I still have a gazillion old songs/ideas in its native format which I can't bother to recreate/convert)

Casio CZ1: I just don't have the space for it in my current place, sadly, so it only gets out on a "need to use" basis

Moog Sonic six: It's not that I want to, but it needs servicing and covid 19 situation here just postponed any potential repairs schedules to an unknown point in the future, so it's just sitting in its case.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax ➡️
Yep, I hate buying gear back (done that twice, OG V-Synth+ both cards, Kurzweil KSP8).
I know I *should* be selling most of this stuff at this point but it is either too big/heavy for shipping, might be "worth something" someday, will cost more to sell than to keep, or I think "maybe I'll use this again someday" so in the closet it sits.
Same thing. The synths that don't sit permanently on my rack are seldom used, but I learned that selling them is often a wrong choice.

So I keep the core of my rig permanently set up on the rack, and I switch regularly one or two of the others on a double x-stand at the side.
If I notice that some synths are never used, even when set up on the x-stand, then I know I can sell them without regrets.
📝 Reply