Quantcast
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear
Old 25th April 2021
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear

Shopping around for various items I see so much hardcore crack smoking now than ever before. Like an Alesis Microlimiter for $188. Instead I'm getting the new ART Dual Limiter for $179.

Korg EX-8000, $1200. I'll wait for the $799 Modwave thanks.

DBX 162SL. I sold my old one for $1000 ten years ago. Now it's going for up to $1600! I can get a heritage audio Successor for that or 2 Warm Audio Bus Compressors. Duh.

Kawai K4r, $849? There's a steal. I gave up trying to get one and bought my Hydrasynth instead for less.

I'm even seeing used ads for current products listed for more than the price of a brand new one

Y'all know I love old crusty crap but frankly it's not worth it anymore if you're not getting a bargain over some new competition. Some things are true vintage items and deserve a markup. But now every old piece of junk is priced like it's a rare Fabergé egg when only a few years ago it sold for happy meal prices. Yamaha FB01 for $300? Don't think so having paid $35 for mine 5 years ago. Just buy a Reface DX if you have $300 to spend.

Never thought I'd say this but...
Screw these jokers, just buy new. It's cheaper.
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know. I go on Reverb sometimes and find things that you can still buy new today selling for more than the new price. I just don't get it sometimes.

For example, I just went on Reverb, pulled up OB-6 desktop (can be had brand new for $2299), Sam Ash has a mint used one for $2580.97 plus shipping.
Old 25th April 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
I know. I go on Reverb sometimes and find things that you can still buy new today selling for more than the new price. I just don't get it sometimes.

For example, I just went on Reverb, pulled up OB-6 desktop (can be had brand new for $2299), Sam Ash has a mint used one for $2580.97 plus shipping.
What do you get for the extra $280?

It's nonsensical at best. I know people are dumbed down but who's really that stupid to get suckered by this?

It's beyond belief
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When you want it, you may only see it. Actually, there are a huge number of comparison targets, so I think that comparing them may raise cost awareness.
On the selling side, it is necessary for sales that the user can reach the purchase quickly.
It's great that we can buy what we want right now. I think that it is easy to find old and rare items that are no longer in the market, because the current network environment may have a higher ability to collect people who want it than a store that handles new items.

The old ones now were new ones before.
Now, if it is new, it will eventually become old.

If you get used to electronic musical instruments, you will be able to understand their functions and make sounds easier, so I think you can make sounds effectively. New musical instruments can explore the unknown world, and old musical instruments can be explored based on a lot of materials.

It's not strange for some users to feel very happy to have the experience of using products that they couldn't buy in the past.
Old 25th April 2021
vlz
Lives for gear

you guys should try living in Ireland where the local ads have things like DX7 going for 750 euros for no particular reason other than the seller thinking we're all mugs.

I remember back a couple of years, a VP330 going for 2200, at the same time I picked up the identically sounding VC340 new for 500. I guess you pay 1700 more for failing capacitors (well there's the extra octave, the most expensive 12 notes).

Not for me thx.
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I blame Youtube. Oh well, they'll learn when they're prodding away on their overpriced FM synth. I like a lot of old stuff but the new stuff now is amazing, we're in such a golden age.
Old 25th April 2021
I stopped looking and buying for awhile. Truthfully, the prices are speculative in many (probably most) cases, but the process is definitely more annoying. don’t enjoy it the way I used to. so I will leave it to others to filter thru... would rather do an occasional trade with people I know..
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

Reverb is hilarious lately. $2-300 Boss SE50/SE70s?? $300+ Midiverbs and Quadraverbs? A $600 Roland SRV-2000 for that "Slash Appetite For Destruction tone'?

Time for me to cash in on the COVID hype! From some of these bids, it looks like I can almost sell my 2 year old MPC Live for exactly what I paid for it hah.
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personally, it doesn't matter whether the instrument is new or old.
I want to cherish the time to enjoy music.
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Nut

Hyper inflated prices on things like the SP1200 have led to the creation of the S2400. Hopefully that trend continues. Expensive old things being recreated for a new era.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afferbeck ➡️
Hyper inflated prices on things like the SP1200 have led to the creation of the S2400. Hopefully that trend continues. Expensive old things being recreated for a new era.
Lets not forget good old Behringer too. Wouldn't be annoying the crap out of the misses with 303 acid lines on endless repeat if it weren't for them. Now if they would just try to do a JP-8...
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Clones, reissues and new gear for me, far cheaper, clean and with warranty, the only vintage synth I have was bought about 2 years ago when I spotted a mint JX3P/PG200 on Ebay for £745 which seemed a steal for its condition and I couldn't resist.

My last 4 purchases of gear was from ASM, Fred's Lab(soon ready), Isla Instruments and Jomox.

Earlier purchased gear were new gear/reissues from Korg, Roland, Sequential, Yamaha, Cyclone Analogic and Behringer.

My last purchase will probably be a 909 reissue and most probably Behringer.

Also happy to use VST's for the old digital stuff at times(Arturia etc). Basically I am not drawn to having to have vintage at all when new gear is more affordable and available. I have more than enough gear now anyway and not really looking anymore.
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Maniac

Totally agree.

Crack. Cocaine.

I have Furman and Lafayette springs I could sell at this point for like 10x the acquisition price. Thinking that I will too..

$600 for a Shure Fatboy!? (Buy 5 57s...trust me)

$250 and up for most MIJ Boss pedals (Buy like 6 Behringer, unless you plan to gig)

It goes on and on and on...

I only look at Reverb as comedy at this point, and have become VERY familiar with my Sweetwater rep
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
TBH, the reason I got into old synths and such was because at the time pedestrian stuff (like a juno) and sleeper gear was massively cheaper than the new flavor (Nord, Virus).

Everything used is sky high anymore....synths, cars, houses... I’ve actually seen two of my (16 year old) cars appreciate significantly in value over the last few years.
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear
I blame this board, for example just look at the Shure SM7 prices (not A or B) on Reverb
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Maniac

Sometimes the reverse is just as annoying. I recently put a barely used keyboard on reverb at slightly below its "fair market value." I got one joker who offered me half that price. Instant decline.

I can understand wanting to bid a bit lower, then negotiate to meet them in the middle. But *half* my list price? Git yer crack somewhere else!
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It is an interesting subject.

The new offer, right now, is just amazing. There are many options, in all price ranges.

We have affordable polyphonic analog synths, incredible monos. The plus-ins allows now to approach a wide range of sounds easily and accessible.

Unimaginable a few years ago, re-releases of classics (or affordable clones) also offer incredible alternatives.

The used's prices can be interesting but there is an inflation which seems to me to be beyond logic.

The biggest problem seems to me to be the issue of reliability and maintenance. To have experienced it, the vintage synth can be a problem bunch. The power supplies fail, the parts are sometimes not found....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorohello ➡️
Totally agree.

Crack. Cocaine.

I have Furman and Lafayette springs I could sell at this point for like 10x the acquisition price. Thinking that I will too..

$600 for a Shure Fatboy!? (Buy 5 57s...trust me)

$250 and up for most MIJ Boss pedals (Buy like 6 Behringer, unless you plan to gig)

It goes on and on and on...

I only look at Reverb as comedy at this point, and have become VERY familiar with my Sweetwater rep
Yes the guitar pedals have gotten seriously off the chain. One night I found myself torn between and comparing the merits of a Roland SRV-330 and an old MXR phaser pedal that were both the same price. The SRV is one fine old rack reverb and once I snapped out of it clicked buy it was gone! Doh!
Still when a pedal goes for the same price as decent studio gear it's all about the rock.
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Maniac

I've seen a lot of current gear also going up in price on the used market, it's not just the old stuff. Lots of synths selling for right below new price...Meanwhile there are retailers that will give huge discounts (and no tax in most states) on new or b-stock gear. I sell on Reverb from time to time still (mostly parts,) but have little reason to buy there although I do check the listings several times a day as sometimes good deals appear on occasion...
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

Wish I had his dealer's number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114773330...Cclp%3A2334524
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
It always amuses me when people write 'vintage' in their ad as if that makes their absurd price somehow acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter ➡️
Lord help us should they post the Fizmo for sale...
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
Yes the guitar pedals have gotten seriously off the chain. One night I found myself torn between and comparing the merits of a Roland SRV-330 and an old MXR phaser pedal that were both the same price. The SRV is one fine old rack reverb and once I snapped out of it clicked buy it was gone! Doh!
Still when a pedal goes for the same price as decent studio gear it's all about the rock.
I managed to pick up a PCM 81 and PCM 91 for about what I paid for a nice delay pedal not all too long ago, so there’s pockets of great stuff that are still values. That said, I don’t see much lately that qualifies as cheap.
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
My sense is we’re hitting the period for synths similar to maybe 15 years ago when ‘59 Les Pauls were going nuts. That was something like ‘07. That would put peak CS-80 around 2025.
Old 25th April 2021
DSK
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Definitely starting to lean in the buy new camp.
If I see something under market price by 30-70% I go for it, otherwise new gear is quite amazing.

Was looking for a Jup-6 and Xpander and they were always around 2-3k tops for years and years. Now it’s hard to find either of them under 4/5k..

Was actually thinking of getting the JP-6 or the UDO last year and was leaning towards the UDO to sustain a new manufacturer, but was still a hard choice... I guess the market answered that dilemma for me heh
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK ➡️
Definitely starting to lean in the buy new camp.
If I see something under market price by 30-70% I go for it, otherwise new gear is quite amazing.

Was looking for a Jup-6 and Xpander and they were always around 2-3k tops for years and years. Now it’s hard to find either of them under 4/5k..

Was actually thinking of getting the JP-6 or the UDO last year and was leaning towards the UDO to sustain a new manufacturer, but was still a hard choice... I guess the market answered that dilemma for me heh
It’s only going to get better too. Hard to imagine we don’t get good clones of the CS-80 components and Jupiter 8 voices in the next couple years too.
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Maniac

This is why when there’s threads on here and other gear sites where it’s like “What an awesome underrated cheap sleeper synth?!?”.... I’m like, F-off I’m never telling. Internet fanboy-ism coupled with the collector-hobbyist mentality has driven gear prices into the stratosphere.

It’s almost insane now to buy vintage. We’re living in a golden age of new synth gear.
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Maniac
I think one reason is that there wasn't as much "cheap" gear available in the past, so a lot of the gear in the second hand market is actually former high-end stuff, vs newer products that are specially designed for the budget segment from the beginning. There has been an explosion in low-end and mid-range gear with capabilities equaling or surpassing former high-end gear (except for arbitrary subjective attributes like "warmth", "fatness" etc.).

It's not really inflation, it's just that high-end gear tends to hold its value better than budget gear. If you look at what the gear costs in the second-hand market now compared to when it was new, it has still dropped significantly in price, especially if you take inflation (of the currency) into account.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️

I don't see that listing but this is a slightly different situation - Sam Ash's primary desire is to sell gear in-store or on their website, with a captive audience. They throw it on Reverb and if it sells, cool.

Chain stores like that are also beholden to national computer systems - the database says a mint OB-6 is X, that's what it gets listed for. They might not have ever carried Sequential so there's no differentiation in the system between keys and desktop.
Old 25th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
True tbf, there's no reason to buy a jx3p/juno over a new Deepmind other than it looks cool. And yet... I'd rather have that jx/juno. And so it continues lol.

Might have to do with the 80s being considered cheesy for so long, now everyone has caught up...
📝 Reply