The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I disagree that DX7s were beyond the reach of most people. After all, several 100,000 were sold, including the one I bought... in 1988.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry white ➡️
People have lost it with the money thing , i think its across the board , humanity on the whole really has screwed up on the money and Total worship of it and that translates into endless new levels of Blind Greed and where synths go sometimes just Delusional asking prices but if there is one thing people hate to admit its that the are slaves to there own Greed and Greedy nature .

I think the worlds just getting worse and worse where all this goes as its essentially a toxic world now of economic madness where a few just continue to hoard more and more wealth and create the idea its ok to be a cnt where money goes.

It wont end well.
Once Wall St. and Big Tech have totally bankrupted the middle class out of existence things will be much different. As we all eek out what semblance of life we can on our basic subsistence checks which will vary in amount with our social credit score we'll look back at this time with fond memories and longing. Those memories might even inspire some to make music with our pots and pans and rubber bands we got on the black market despite the ding that made in our score. Every so often someone will make it back alive from a raid on the gated communities of the elite with an actual working synth or other instruments and that might turn up on the market for such an astronomical price nobody will be able to sacrifice so many subsistence checks to buy it. Eventually the sellers will break them down and sell them for the scrap value of their raw materials. That will be the day the music dies among other things.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa ➡️
I disagree that DX7s were beyond the reach of most people. After all, several 100,000 were sold, including the one I bought... in 1988.
Fair point. What did it cost in today’s money? Curious what that would have been equivalent to now. Second hand in ‘86 they look like about 1000£, which is ~2500 today, so I suppose comparable to a Prophet 6 or so.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I guess there are sort of bargains to be had. I picked up a Roland TR 8 drum machine the other day in good nick for AUD 450, I've seen them piced much much higher. I think these are able to be picked up cheap as many want to upgrade to the S model.

My M1 I picked up the other day I got for ~AUD600 (forget exactly) dunno if that's a good price but once again, seen them priced much higher.

I agree with the thesis of this thread though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How many were sold, what's that got to do with anything?

Yeh for us Brits in 1986, £1400 was a lot to spend on a non-essential item. It was too much to "save" for from the average wage/salary, the guy I knew who got one worked in a bank and got a bank loan. Usually we were using money to buy those nice Japanese motorbikes. A Kawasaki Z1000 was just over £1000, today a similar bike is around £7000

If Ned you could drop £$1400 in 1986 and not flinch, then good for you, money bags

It's like saying, yeh A Ferrari F40, look how many have been sold, I got one back in the day. who cares.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just checked out ebay as I do from time to time. The prices have really gone up on used synths. It almost seems that the analog/FM/re-make/re-issue/ synth revival has driven the prices of the original stuff up not down. Talk about backfire.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From a seller's standpoint people are lowballing now more than ever before, even when priced lower than market value and stated as firm.

Some people cope with this by raising asking prices expecting to be low balled.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Was a Realistic/Moog MG-1 on Craigslist this weekend for $300. I offered $200, because "what the hell", but someone else obviously wanted it more...some of these synths I don't think are worth a fraction of what people ask for them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the “aura” of vintage has finally broken, actually. You’re going to see this last ditch peaking of prices, and then, FOOM! — no-one cares any more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
Every so often someone will make it back alive from a raid on the gated communities of the elite with an actual working synth or other instruments . . .
“Rhodes Warrior”?
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy ➡️
“Rhodes Warrior”?

Monday morning dude. It's a killer!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
Was a Realistic/Moog MG-1 on Craigslist this weekend for $300. I offered $200, because "what the hell", but someone else obviously wanted it more...some of these synths I don't think are worth a fraction of what people ask for them.
$300 isn't too bad and with a few easy mods the MG-1 is a great synth.

Still I wish I had bought up a lot of these unloved mono synths when they were under $100.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
I think the “aura” of vintage has finally broken, actually. You’re going to see this last ditch peaking of prices, and then, FOOM! — no-one cares any more.
I hope you are right, but don't think that's the case...

Look at how prices were 10 years ago, and pretty much everything you could buy used back then, that was no longer in production for a while, as gone up in price substantially...

Back then it was just analog or some really rare / expensive stuff that was quite sought after, now it seems it is everything as long as it is old/vintage...

It doesn't really make sense, with all the amazing alternatives available new for much less what you had back then...

I think prices only stop raising when there is an almost 1:1 alternative available, like what happened to the Korg MS20, ARP Odyssey and I think now with the Sequential Prophet 5 and 10...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks ➡️
Except that if the prices are insanely inflated to the point where they don't represent the value of the sold good, then basically any "sensible" offer is already regarded as "lowball".
If you are selling your DX7 for $1500 and I offer you 200, does that make me a lowball?

I had encounters on Reverb where I made offers and pointed to the price graphs on there but sellers were just "unable" to sell it to me for that price, acknowledging their prices were far above the market value.
Sadly, nowadays it seems $200 would be lowballing for a Yamaha DX7... :S

I remember trading one in great shape with case for a Doepfer MAQ16/3 like 10 years ago, and thinking it was an amazing deal (paid like 80€ to the guy since he had to take a train to get the deal done).
Nowadays, I don't think that would have been a great deal for the person with the Yamaha DX7...

Funny how things change, especially cause you can still buy Yamaha SY77s for considerably less... :S
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I do agree with the above comment of a last ditch effort.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle ➡️
$300 isn't too bad and with a few easy mods the MG-1 is a great synth.

Still I wish I had bought up a lot of these unloved mono synths when they were under $100.
You're probably right, I guess I wasn't excited enough about it to offer asking price. But I also have this quirk where I can't bring myself to offer full price right off the bat.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui ➡️
It doesn't really make sense, with all the amazing alternatives available new for much less what you had back then...

I think prices only stop raising when there is an almost 1:1 alternative available, like what happened to the Korg MS20, ARP Odyssey and I think now with the Sequential Prophet 5 and 10...
Vintage Prophet 5s are still $8k+. 808s are above $4k. TB303s are still above $3k in most cases.

I thought the same thing about late 60s muscle cars around 2009 but things got even crazier post recession. 60s era muscle cars were considered high water marks for powerful cars, but today even the fastest ones would get completely decimated in nearly every aspect by a 6 cylinder EcoBoost Mustang with Apple CarPlay, ventilated seats and smart cruise control. But 60s muscle car prices are higher than ever, which is kind of baffling considering what's available these days.

I have a car habit as well as a synth habit and, up until recently, have owned a few from that era (a big block Chevelle and Corvette most recently)...these were the last things in my garage I would elect to drive on a day to day basis. At this point I'll take a modern car over anything I've owned in the past.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
Vintage Prophet 5s are still $8k+. 808s are above $4k. TB303s are still above $3k in most cases.

I thought the same thing about late 60s muscle cars around 2009 but things got even crazier post recession. 60s era muscle cars were considered high water marks for powerful cars, but today even the fastest ones would get completely decimated in nearly every aspect by a 6 cylinder EcoBoost Mustang with Apple CarPlay, ventilated seats and smart cruise control. But 60s muscle car prices are higher than ever, which is kind of baffling considering what's available these days.

I have a car habit as well as a synth habit and, up until recently, have owned a few from that era (a big block Chevelle and Corvette most recently)...these were the last things in my garage I would elect to drive on a day to day basis. At this point I'll take a modern car over anything I've owned in the past.
Are old Prophets really that expensive nowadays?!?!?!?
Thought they were much cheaper when they launched the new ones... :S
My impression is that they were around the price of the new ones, maybe a bit higher, but definitely not higher than $5000...
I still wouldn't buy an old one for more than a new one, unless it had been used in a classic album that I absolutely loved, but am surprised if prices went up that much, considering that the reviews regarding the new ones were pretty good!

With the 808s and 303s, I think it's a bit of a different story...
The ones I mentioned were made by the same brand that made the original ones (even if ARP is now a part of Korg), while Roland never did a proper re-issue of those...
And since I feel part of the problem are uninformed newbies that just see a machine used in their favourite albums and they just want it and must have it, having an alternative that you have to do some research on, likely won't do it for them...
But even their Boutiques, are seem to get more expensive after being discontinued, despite they have plenty of products that try to emulate those sounds, they just don't look like the originals...

But you are right, it happens with many other areas...

It's collecting just to collect, which is something I don't really see the point, despite I actually have quite some synths, but all of them have a purpose...

At least you actually are getting something "useful", when it comes to toys, some people actual pay quite some cash for bits of plastic... :S

To each their own, but when you put things in perspective, with music equipment it's actually not too bad... At least yet...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Are old Prophets really that expensive nowadays?!?!?!?
Thought they were much cheaper when they launched the new ones... :S
My impression is that they were around the price of the new ones, maybe a bit higher, but definitely not higher than $5000...
I still wouldn't buy an old one for more than a new one, unless it had been used in a classic album that I absolutely loved, but am surprised if prices went up that much, considering that the reviews regarding the new ones were pretty good!
Yup. https://reverb.com/p/sequential-circ...rophet-5-rev-3

The only thing in recent memory which has done what you're saying are the Minimoog reissues. Vintage model Ds are largely cheaper than the reissues.
Quote:
Sadly, nowadays it seems $200 would be lowballing for a Yamaha DX7... :S

I remember trading one in great shape with case for a Doepfer MAQ16/3 like 10 years ago, and thinking it was an amazing deal (paid like 80€ to the guy since he had to take a train to get the deal done).
Nowadays, I don't think that would have been a great deal for the person with the Yamaha DX7...

Funny how things change, especially cause you can still buy Yamaha SY77s for considerably less... :S
I just sold a broken dx7 for $250 this week...couldve probably got more for it. It would likely be an easy fix but still its a broken dx7. Had the most watchers of anything Ive ever listed on ebay.

In a year or so DX7’s will be going for $700-800
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Once Wall St. and Big Tech have totally bankrupted the middle class out of existence things will be much different.
Good news! We can all be "gig workers" now, one sick day away from insolvency and no "employee" protections under the law!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFunk ➡️
How many were sold, what's that got to do with anything?

Yeh for us Brits in 1986, £1400 was a lot to spend on a non-essential item. It was too much to "save" for from the average wage/salary, the guy I knew who got one worked in a bank and got a bank loan. Usually we were using money to buy those nice Japanese motorbikes. A Kawasaki Z1000 was just over £1000, today a similar bike is around £7000

If Ned you could drop £$1400 in 1986 and not flinch, then good for you, money bags

It's like saying, yeh A Ferrari F40, look how many have been sold, I got one back in the day. who cares.
Too bad you didn’t take the time to take in what I wrote. I don’t know what’s more sad: your reply or the fact that it was liked by 4 people.

Anyhow, yeah, sure, I was Mr Moneybags in 1989, when I was eating beans and tomatoes as a poor student. And yeah, sure, DX7s were so expensive then that I traded an 800$ (Canadians like me don’t pay in pounds) fretless Ibanez bass in 1989 for a DX7 with an E! Card. Your disrespectful and sarcastic tone sure entertains though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
..snip... Your disrespectful and sarcastic tone sure entertains though.
That's how you see it. If you choose to read offence and sarcasm into my post then Ned, that is your problem. Move on.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Count my as another person who is losing the desire to buy classic gear. I've been buying new lately, and the smell of fresh, untouched electronics has replaced mustiness as my favorite gear-related olfactory experience. I don't know how much of it is me, how much of it is time, how much of it is the changes over the last decade or so, but the romance of old gear is gone from my head/heart/soul/whatever. It's not just the cost, though that is a major factor; it's also the sense of demystification that has happened as everything has been brought into the contemporary world and is no longer a part of some mythical past that can only be accessed through the collection of arcane knowledge. I find it's true for music as well, and I don't know what to do when it comes to my other great love, vinyl. I stayed true to vinyl for years given that it was often affordable and also gave me access to so much great music that was unavailable in other formats (and I was/am a sometime-DJ). Now, with vinyl, I feel like I am being taken advantage of for trying to do the right thing. I went from spending $100-200 a week for years, even if it meant barely eating, to just spending 14.14 a month on Spotify, and using Youtube to fill in the gaps. My actions, sadly, will play no part in ending the rampant speculation in the market, but it will make a small dent in the income of the artists who I want to support. That's ultimately what frustrates me about, for lack of a better way of putting it, the re-commodification of used things and the increased speculation on new things. None of the extra money goes to the original creators. More heartbreaking when it comes to new music than old synths, to me, at least.

At this point, I have one vintage synth on my shopping list and the price, though it is going up, remains relatively stable due to an abundance of supply. Beyond that, I may have to deal with price inflation again unless anyone has any ideas on a cool, affordable polyphonic sampler with good filters and vibe that's actually relatively-easy to use. Beyond that, all new synths from then on, or slightly-discounted used versions of things that are still available new. As for FX, that's been, for me, even tougher to watch than synth speculation, if only because a lot of items have literally crossed the threshold of affordable to unobtainable in the last year, and I still really want one "major" reverb. I literally went from "I can afford a Lexicon 300L (under 2k) but maybe I can stretch to a 224 (around 2k) if I save really, really hard" to "I can't afford a 300L (3k) or a 224 (3-5k) but maybe I can afford a 200 (under 2k) " to "no, I can't afford a 200 (2.5k), I'm just going to make-do with a PCM92 even if it doesn't have the classic vibe" all in the span of a few months. Of course, a few PCM92s sold for around 1k at the beginning of April but the last completed sales were closer to $1600, which is less than $300 away from the price for a NEW one. I'm not planning on buying my "nice Lexicon" until this summer or early autumn, so, by that time, I think I will just have to break into a disused warehouse with a pair of speakers, a microphone, a CD player with a burned copy of the tracks I want to process, and a recorder. Or maybe I will buy a MIDIverb ii for $895!

Anyways, though greed is certainly a factor, everyone is dealing with the "there's no inflation but everything is getting really expensive" thing in their own way. It's a vicious cycle that forces a certain amount of parasitism and cannibalization and it's weird that nothing seems to break. Those hoping for another downturn in the economy to pick up some gear - well, I think the issue that the pandemic should really drive home is that insofar a "society" is a group of people who experience the same thing in the same way, that doesn't exist anymore. Life has gotten a lot better for a lot of people over the last year, even while unemployment claims in the US were atrociously high week after week over the same period.

Like another poster, I make more money than I did a decade ago but am stuck in this weird middle ground where that extra money allows me to pick up some nice things here or there that would have been impossible back then, but I am also totally losing ground in terms of quality-of-life/major expenses. I can afford a synth or fx unit above 1k, which I couldn't years ago, but my apartment is smaller, my commute is longer, and I am working more hours. The real catch is that, were I to not buy a fancy Lexicon, that money would not help me improve my condition at all, because the next "rung on the ladder" is much more than 2k away.
Gear Nut

Only ten years ago you could find an RE-201 on Craigslist in Toronto for $300-$400 CAD.
Bit of recapping and splice a new loop, you're laughing!

https://soundgas.com/product/roland-...c-currency=USD

I'm sorry, but nothing makes this crap worth $3k CAD shipped.
A_C
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 ➡️
Roland could re-issue their JP8 for 4K/5K, it would have the exact same effect. Speculators who can't speculate anymore would become much more reasonable. Problem is, Roland won't...
If there was a change in leadership over at Roland with a new vision, they could do analog again, but not in a world where Behringer exist.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by in media res ➡️
Only ten years ago you could find an RE-201 on Craigslist in Toronto for $300-$400 CAD.

Prices are getting so high on the RE-201 that I am tempted to sell. I got mine a little over a decade ago. The seller was near Vancouver, and I was in NYC. I was selling a Roland R-8mkii and the guy in BC was like "I have an extra RE-201 and I want an R-8mkii, so we can trade if you pay shipping for both items" and I said yes.

At the time I didn't even feel sure it was a good trade because shipping the RE-201 here probably cost me more than $50!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm looking at this from the other side now. I have an item for sale on Reverb as of this afternoon. Already I had one lowball offer followed by a message from offerer asking me to please disregard his offer. Shortly after I received another message from someone asking me what's the lowest price I'll sell for?

This is already shaping up to be a bunch of bullsh|tters like the last time I put something up for sale there. Last time around I got all these questions like how does it compare to XYZ? And messages from people saying they owned one once and it was great etc.
Along with lowball offers sent through messages and not the offer feature. After a few months of this random bull**** I gave up and decided to just keep it.
I'll probably end up doing the same with this new thing.

Maybe it's a bull$hit tax?
I have a few things for sale locally on CL & OU and Im experiencing the same thing, I have learned to just ignore them & they will go away.

One guy keeps repeating the same offer after I said no..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by in media res ➡️

Boss RE-20, $250 same thing without worrying about bad caps, rotting tapes or worn out rollers. Guarantee nobody will know the difference when they're listening to your track and you can still pay rent and eat when you're done paying for it..
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chordmemories ➡️
Prices are getting so high on the RE-201 that I am tempted to sell. I got mine a little over a decade ago. The seller was near Vancouver, and I was in NYC. I was selling a Roland R-8mkii and the guy in BC was like "I have an extra RE-201 and I want an R-8mkii, so we can trade if you pay shipping for both items" and I said yes.

At the time I didn't even feel sure it was a good trade because shipping the RE-201 here probably cost me more than $50!
I sold my 201 around that time because I was cash poor and confident I could get another one.

Couple years later I was missing it, and found myself buying an RE-101 for $750 from Japan and feeling a little sick about it.
Quite happy I did that now though.
📝 Reply