Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear
Old 27th April 2021 | Show parent
A_C
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➡️
you just made me bid on a 106

I hate GS
I've had one on my watch list all week, lol.

Haven't done anything about it though as £1600+ and the details are vague despite solid seller feedback.

I want to be done with vintage and get new stuff that comes with a warranty, but no one had made a hardware Juno clone yet despite it being such a popular synth.

I had a Deepmind for a weekend back in 2016 but ultimately didn't gel with it and may have written it off too quickly.

Behringer already reverse engineered the Juno 106 most of the way, and they have the chorus circuit now, so I feel like it's a matter of time.

I think I'm looking at vintage options because of the massive delays in the tech world right now. It could be years for a worthy successor to appear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
I agree. It's across the board really. Having recently moved I'm shocked at what I'm forced to pay for furniture and household necessities. Just outfitting one of my bathrooms with the usual items, mat, towels, vanity items etc. etc. came out to $250 at Wallyworld. A nearby thrift store that sells used furniture that's been overhauled by prison inmates has jacked its prices up threefold since the new year. A tank of gas for my motorcycle now costs $10! The supermarket is killing me!
The company I work keeps promising to level set salaries to current industry standard (far below now) but if they ever do it, it will be too little too late at the rate prices are rising. It's funny that I'm making much more money now than I did 10 years ago yet my standard of living hasn't improved much if any. The only noticeable improvement came from moving to a rural area where you get more square feet of housing for your money compared to the city. Otherwise the extra income doesn't show. I can't imagine trying to get by now on what I earned 10 years ago. I'd probably be homeless again.
I'm glad I got myself into a better position before this time, the last recession taught me a lesson and I prepared for the next wave of ****e although I was only slightly affected this past year luckily. Let's hope things get better for all of us. It's really a subject for another thread methinks so I'll leave it there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddrake ➡️
I know, Right? As soon as they have the RD-9 out I'll just about have all I need to emulate Propellerheads Re-Birth in hardware. That would have put me out of house and home to get 2 vintage 303's and an 808 and 909.

I'm perfectly happy with most of my emulation/reproduction boxes. None of my gear is really vintage, and I'm ok with that. Even if it's not exactly the same as the original stuff.
Same here, saved a packet with new, clones and reissues, I'm aware their may be differences, but those differences aren't worth thousands of wonga to me. The OGs would of been out of financial reach for me too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up ➡️
It's not just synths that are going up.

Similar things that are attractive to collectors are also going up, like classic cars - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/b...-pandemic.html

sneakers - https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...er-investment/

and items at auction houses like Christie's - https://www.ft.com/content/080988c3-...c-66c7d62f8307
Not just classic cars, just about anything with perceived reliability and modification potential it seems. I have an older Honda CRV and Element that have both shot up because of this, and also people turn them into their hobby cars / off-roading and or camping. The element is now worth damn near what I paid for it 10 years ago but with a lot more miles... I turned the element into a mini-camper lol.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
Not just classic cars, just about anything with perceived reliability it seems. I have an older Honda CRV and Element that have both shot up because of this, and also people turn them into their hobby cars / off-roading and or camping. The element is now worth damn near what I paid for it 10 years ago but with a lot more miles... I turned the element into a mini-camper lol.
Im gonna try and sell my 'vintage' 2002 Accord thats rotting outside because they dont make the catalytic converters for them anymore and it cant be smogged and registered in CA legally..
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
I'm glad I got myself into a better position before this time, the last recession taught me a lesson and I prepared for the next wave of ****e although I was only slightly affected this past year luckily. Let's hope things get better for all of us. It's really a subject for another thread methinks so I'll leave it there.
Things are looking up for me. The 20% pandemic pay cut is being repealed little by little so eventually I'll be back to former income levels. In June my son graduates HS and my child support obligations go away. That win may be nullified if he decides to move in with me. And then if the company comes through on salary normalization that will be a substantial bump. But none of this is on topic.
Regardless of perceived personal prosperity I'm not going to fritter away my good fortune on the crack crumb on the floor seeking greedmongers hawking "vintage" and "rare" mediocre gear produced during mediocre times for mediocre markets with low horizons. Some sh|t is just that, sh|t regardless.
And if the new music products don't float my boat my motorcycles always need something shiny and new

Oh and that guy on EBay asking $385 for a MT-32 needs to die.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
Some people have been stuck at home for a year, picking up music as a hobby, or simply doing more of it. Thinking old gear is the special sauce they're missing. The folks who haven't been suffering in the Covid economy have been saving money from not going out, not taking vacations, avoiding bars, etc. It's helped fuel a seller's market, that's for sure!

I wouldn't fault anyone right now for dumping any less-than-worth-keeping old gear [that can be easily shipped] on Reverb right now. There may never be a better time to sell.

But yeah, if you're looking for deals, now ain't the time. Wait for the next time the economy tanks when folks are still able to leave the house if you want deals.
And free government "stimulus" checks, people not paying their rent or mortgage results in people having money for discretionary items...ask me how I know (I'm a landlord).

It's like this with everything. I was offered a cash deal for my 18 month old pickup truck for $4k more than I paid for it. Free vehicle for a year and a half? LOL.

Nothing makes sense.
Old 27th April 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Not for nothing, the Juno was like $1100 back in ‘84.
In 90 or 91 the 106 cost me $350. I think I paid $275 for the Juno 6 prior to that.
Somewhere in the hard partying mid 90s a coworker offered me a SH-101 for $50 and I turned it down and another coworker gave me a Realstic MG-1 for free.
Ah the good old days. Conveniently forgetting $350 was nearly 2 weeks pay then....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
Im gonna try and sell my 'vintage' 2002 Accord thats rotting outside because they dont make the catalytic converters for them anymore and it cant be smogged and registered in CA legally..
Yeah, just put it on eBay and send it to one of us polluting states
Old 27th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The thing is, there’s nothing old that you really have to have now, to make music that sounds good. The new gear has caught up to a large degree, it doesn’t exactly replace the old classics but you can get “good enough” new gear for most musicmaking tasks (assuming your goal is to make music).

And that wasn’t always the case. Felt like there was a gap after old analog started to get pricey, before new analog got as good and as varied as it is now. For a while there was just Studio Electronics, and one-shots like the Andromeda. Nowadays we’ve not only got a range of decent new analog synths, we’ve even got new FM and new MPCs.

There’s also no mercy for the fool in any market. A little quick research on those crazy Reverb asking prices would show that the buyer can do better. Even Reverb’s own price guides (buying histories) on most gear are way below the top asking prices.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy ➡️
The thing is, there’s nothing old that you really have to have now, to make music that sounds good. The new gear has caught up to a large degree, it doesn’t exactly replace the old classics but you can get “good enough” new gear for most musicmaking tasks (assuming your goal is to make music).

And that wasn’t always the case. Felt like there was a gap after old analog started to get pricey, before new analog got as good and as varied as it is now. For a while there was just Studio Electronics, and one-shots like the Andromeda. Nowadays we’ve not only got a range of decent new analog synths, we’ve even got new FM and new MPCs.

There’s also no mercy for the fool in any market. A little quick research on those crazy Reverb asking prices would show that the buyer can do better. Even Reverb’s own price guides (buying histories) on most gear are way below the top asking prices.
Totally agree on there being no real requirement for anything vintage right now to make great music. I don’t think you can nail the CS-80, Jupiter 8, Prophet VS or surely a few others 100% with hardware, but that will come too given the demand, and there’s so much amazing stuff that it’s not preventing anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy ➡️

I can agree with this. When people buy the vintage stuff for the vintage sound they don't even realize that those same things were sharp and clear and NEW on classic recordings. The new vintage instruments were then subjected to recording methods a decade out of date. Tape, bouncing, noise reduction and to start with likely to have been recorded through a miced amplifier with a crappy 70s speaker design in addition to whatever mic preamps they had or the one's in the console's channels.
This is why I go on and on about using external mixers and recording through amps with tedious repetition.
A brand new synth released today recorded with the same type of signal chain and process of the old days will sound just as "vintage" as an old synth. Even for softsynths but possibly with some extra steps and plugs -like amp sims.

Buy new. And buy an amp and a mic and a mixer too while you're at it. Show the greedmongers you can get it done without forking out stupid money.
Old 28th April 2021
Lives for gear

Yeah I have come to that conclusion too. Used prices plus the potential for maintenance costs.. cheaper to buy new gear and there are a number of things that sound great.
Old 28th April 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 ➡️
Yeah I have come to that conclusion too. Used prices plus the potential for maintenance costs.. cheaper to buy new gear and there are a number of things that sound great.
There's vintage vibe aplenty in modern gear and plugs. But learning to actually record crap with amps and mics is a cheaper and more effective method. Just moving the placement of the recording mic around a little is more than worth a stack of hipster corksniffer rack gear and terrabytes of software solutions. But it's art too not just science. Takes creativity and if you don't have time for this then go ahead and scroll through thousands of presets.
If you don't give a crap about vintage vibes then the world is your oyster nowadays. Lots of options for going in any direction you like.
Screw the overpriced vintage rat race.
Old 28th April 2021
It seems a lot of sellers are taking advantage of the component shortages and the global shipping delays, and listing used equipment for higher than new MSRP, because nobody has new items in stock anywhere.
Old 28th April 2021
Lives for gear

I’ve reached the age where I’m officially vintage and yet my value is plummeting. Oh to have been born a Jupiter.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox ➡️
I’ve reached the age where I’m officially vintage and yet my value is plummeting. Oh to have been born a Jupiter.
Completely off topic & even though you were being tongue in cheek but I read that & i thought that literaly is true -... men do beome less valuable post-middle age... (unless youre lucky enough to be in a certain handful of industries/professions).

I didnt really notice this until a few years ago when I travelled in Asia with an older friend of mine - in the western world hes pretty much is written off as a single looser... but how different is it in Asia!
I dont just mean SE Asia with bar girls looking for a meal ticket, I mean women of means in Japan & Korea!

Pretty much anywhere we went he was beating off ladies with a stick!
Clearly there men are seen as more valued when older...

No point, just though it was an interesting contrast.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox ➡️
It's not necessarily too late to still become something of a gas giant.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can agree with this. When people buy the vintage stuff for the vintage sound they don't even realize that those same things were sharp and clear and NEW on classic recordings. The new vintage instruments were then subjected to recording methods a decade out of date. Tape, bouncing, noise reduction and to start with likely to have been recorded through a miced amplifier with a crappy 70s speaker design in addition to whatever mic preamps they had or the one's in the console's channels.
This is why I go on and on about using external mixers and recording through amps with tedious repetition.
A brand new synth released today recorded with the same type of signal chain and process of the old days will sound just as "vintage" as an old synth.
Yes ... with electronics, the entire signal chain is the instrument!

I’d say that goes for the ‘70s-‘80s synth stuff that was recorded in a high end way too—something like Zawinul on HEAVY WEATHER, or Stevie Wonder on SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, where the synth was probably recorded direct to the board—big consoles—nice hardware effects—great engineers—and plenty of tracks on a Studer or similar.

Again, we don’t need all that top-end treatment to exist as musicians—but a professional recording setup, skillfully used, is part of what the listener is hearing on some of the classic synth albums.

(Of course, from the late ‘80s on anything went—for example, some of the classic Detroit techno artists were working on their own, with basically prosumer-level recording gear—no big studio. Talent helps.)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
Ship it over to Australia mate. You could sell anything on the used car market here at the moment. You'd make a motza.*

* Lots of money.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm70 ➡️
Ship it over to Australia mate. You could sell anything on the used car market here at the moment. You'd make a motza.*

* Lots of money.
The words like vintage, lo-fi . unattainable , classic hard to come by , revolutionary, applied to 16 bit digital samplers🤣 . I used to enjoy going to my local secondhand music store, hunting for akai rack samplers, l would budget for $300 Aus. Usually the screen would need replacement, but usually maintenance free. Recently l have seen an S3200 advertised for $1100 with no screen, with the parting comment “priced accordingly” Sure the sound of these are good, but l get the same if not better results with my mpc live going through an analog mixer to tape.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It's laughable really. It's a bit like how a fire creates it's own wind, further intensifying the fire. People see someone advertising a sampler for money like that and figure that's the market - as someone said earlier in the thread.
Old 30th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A lot of sellers on Ebay think that its acceptable to knock £50 or less off a new synth just because its been 'unused', whatever that really means. If a synth costs £500 new I would only pay £350-400 second hand even if its not been used as I'm taking a risk.

As for vintage, I have virtually zero gas for any of it now that we have the clones and some great vsts, not remotely interested in a vintage 808,909,606 or 303, apart from a Juno and Jupiter if they were new re-issues.

The only vintage digital I was interested in was the JD800/990 but am more than happy with the Roland Zenology version and lives up to the hype but wouldn't pay £700 for a 30yr old rack.
Old 30th April 2021
vlz
Lives for gear

Local ads have a Moog Source for 2k eur, with a "no offers below the asked price" sticked on it. ffs.

GLWS that's all I can say.
Old 1st May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree that nowadays, it isn't really worth considering old gear, at least not for the prices some people seem to want for them...

If you can find a bargain, sure, old gear is still great!
But for really high prices like I see some people want, no thanks, new gear is great as well, even if it won't sound the same...

I started building my setup more seriously around 2009, and back then buying used gear was definitely the best option!
It wasn't as easy to find gear as it is nowadays, but you also didn't have as many people searching for music gear online as you have now, so you could actually find quite some nice stuff.

Also, back then you couldn't really find nice new gear for around 100€, and nowadays you have so much cool stuff for around those prices!
For instance, the Modal CraftSynth V2.0 for less than 150€ is a really cool mono synth!

Nowadays, things are quite different, gear is much cheaper and you actually have an insane amount of new gear available that is really really cool!
Around 10 years ago, it was much different, and most brands had their workstations as their main synths and not much more...
And there were pretty much no small companies starting their own kickstart projects...

Still, pretty much everything you could buy used back then is now more expensive, excluding ROMplers and maybe some stuff that had just stopped being produced recently...

Back in those days, it was the price of analog synths that was going up, because you couldn't really get new ones (you had Dave Smith, Alesis had their Andromeda, and Studio Electronics already had their Omega, I think).
Now, you can find plenty of nice new analog synths, but the price of everything old is going up...

So, when I started, I was buying pretty much only old stuff used, only getting stuff new in stores after the items being discontinued and blown out for pretty low prices (and even that was rarely...).
Nowadays, I think I would just go for stuff I could buy new in a store...

Honestly, I think you get much more from new gear, unless you are searching for THAT specific sound...
If you are in a cover band and must have the exact same sound, sure..
But if you want gear that sounds good to create YOUR music, there is no need to pay this much for old gear...

You get warranty, that gives you some extra protection, and in most cases you have equipment that is at least as versatile as whatever you can find in that same price range used...

There are some exceptions, however...
If you want multitimbrality, that seems to be lacking in most new synths, which is a shame...
And when it comes to polyphonic samplers, you don't have that many options available...

But other than that, I think there are really good options for very reasonable prices nowadays!
To the point that if you want to build a complete studio, you can get a really nice setup nice for what you'd pay nowadays for a Roland Juno 60 :P

Saying this, old gear is not bad, quite the opposite, and I feel lucky I got quite some stuff when prices were still reasonable!
There is some old gear I still want to sell, but don't think that increases in prices will make me want to sell more things.

But if I wanted to buy gear, there are plenty of things I have that I just wouldn't consider for todays prices...
As good as old gear might be, new gear is great as well and I feel that nowadays it has much better value and you are protected by warranty, which is a big plus!
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

With patience and persistence, there are still "deals" to be had.

With seller fees, taxes and people's expectations that everything should be delivered within 24 hours (particularly during a pandemic), some prices seem a bit out of left field - No disagreement there.

But look at the attached as an example....

Not a particularly "epic" or "knobby" synth, but if I were in the market (and in the neighborhood), I'd jump on it, even with the missing PS.

HAGWE!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear-screen-shot-2021-04-30-5.32.53-pm.jpg  
Old 1st May 2021 | Show parent
I'm looking at this from the other side now. I have an item for sale on Reverb as of this afternoon. Already I had one lowball offer followed by a message from offerer asking me to please disregard his offer. Shortly after I received another message from someone asking me what's the lowest price I'll sell for?

This is already shaping up to be a bunch of bullsh|tters like the last time I put something up for sale there. Last time around I got all these questions like how does it compare to XYZ? And messages from people saying they owned one once and it was great etc.
Along with lowball offers sent through messages and not the offer feature. After a few months of this random bull**** I gave up and decided to just keep it.
I'll probably end up doing the same with this new thing.

Maybe it's a bull$hit tax?
Old 2nd May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm looking at this from the other side now. I have an item for sale on Reverb as of this afternoon. Already I had one lowball offer followed by a message from offerer asking me to please disregard his offer. Shortly after I received another message from someone asking me what's the lowest price I'll sell for?

This is already shaping up to be a bunch of bullsh|tters like the last time I put something up for sale there. Last time around I got all these questions like how does it compare to XYZ? And messages from people saying they owned one once and it was great etc.
Along with lowball offers sent through messages and not the offer feature. After a few months of this random bull**** I gave up and decided to just keep it.

What with Fishermen (people who inflate prices and try their luck) who exist on one end and low-ballers (peope who deflate prices and try their luck) on the other end, well...

I'm kind of cutting out of the second-hand market now. I got lucky. Never really got burned. But I can see that will not be the case if I keep playing this game much longer. Corporates like ebay/amazon et al make it harder for the seller, rape them of profits where they can, and entice in the new user that was always 'ooooh never thought much about buying stoof orf that ebay thingie'...

How monopolies are created and how monopolies are maintained. Human greed, fear and authoritarianism. A heady mix.

I've bought a few things at top dollar. Bought a few things at penny prices as well. Never got burned. Just lucky. Sure, the odd dodgy PSU or 'Mint' condition mixer that has human skin all over it, but apart from that, really is 'Mint'. Lol.

I've been low-balled by some major long time posters over at kvr. And by low-balled I mean, they were looking for 10 dollars off a 100 dollar item. I see them buying thousands of pounds worth of software on the regular, but they need that 10 off from me? Sure buddy. Why not! Give me a rep why don't ya? Ta very much my chook!

But hardware is different.

Either you did or did not get it in the post. And if you did, did it work?

Mmmm...

I got most the musical equipment I need. Might buy a bit more. Got about a good dozen items or so of stuff I'd be happy to a take flyer on.

Bought an Akai sampler off some dude who threw in a gotek and his sampling library. Unit arrived in perfect state. Maxed to RAM - Gotek working perfect. Paid high end for that. But these days, try getting an Akai S2000 for less than a 150 bucks! Good luck. If you can it won't have a Gotek, or won't have a library or will be a bit mucked up.

No more buying hardware samplers for me over the internet I can tell you.

Unless I find something at a silly low price now, I'll pass.

My Korg EMX-1 was a major pain to buy. But I got it for a very good price and the thing is practically 'Mint'.

The pendulum is swinging back the other way for me, at least, these days.

But nah, I am super distrusting and super exclusive about what I buy, second hand.

Buying new is where it's at.

But for the love of God, do not buy 'B-stock' - this is where companies like Bax get to run their scams.

Buy new.
Buy second hand.
Never, ever, buy B-Stock!
Old 2nd May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

That’s why I rarely sell anything anymore. Everyone wants to chat, lowball, or blow me off entirely. Optimistically I’d say 1 in 30 responses turns into a sale.
📝 Reply