Quantcast
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Addict
People not knowing the true value of their stuff is not new - every old record or comic book must be worth a fortune because OLD, right? It doesn't occur to them to search sold listings on EBay or Reverb to determine value - they play follow the leader.

Right now MPC 3000s on Reverb are listed for $3800+, but they're actually selling for the nearly as absurd $2500-3000 - but all it takes is for the site to get down to one listing and for everyone who joins in to think the $4000 one is the competitive price instead of one that's sitting because it's overpriced.
Old 25th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Some people have been stuck at home for a year, picking up music as a hobby, or simply doing more of it. Thinking old gear is the special sauce they're missing. The folks who haven't been suffering in the Covid economy have been saving money from not going out, not taking vacations, avoiding bars, etc. It's helped fuel a seller's market, that's for sure!

I wouldn't fault anyone right now for dumping any less-than-worth-keeping old gear [that can be easily shipped] on Reverb right now. There may never be a better time to sell.

But yeah, if you're looking for deals, now ain't the time. Wait for the next time the economy tanks when folks are still able to leave the house if you want deals.
Old 26th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Prices are interestingly higher on used, thats typical of supply and demand. Lot’s of people picked up past hobbies while stuck at home. At this point there is choices between new or inspired products or the vintage original. Asking is not representative of selling and both Reverb and ebay have some post sales info available. Like others said, I would spring for the new Prophet 5/6 before chasing vintage at this point.

There is a high potential for a dry spell of new products. IC production problems from 2020 is causing shortages since chip manufactures back stock is depleted. Multiple instrument manufactures have stated production issues. Limited supply and high demand means higher $.
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooderson ➡️
People not knowing the true value of their stuff is not new - every old record or comic book must be worth a fortune because OLD, right? It doesn't occur to them to search sold listings on EBay or Reverb to determine value - they play follow the leader.

Right now MPC 3000s on Reverb are listed for $3800+, but they're actually selling for the nearly as absurd $2500-3000 - but all it takes is for the site to get down to one listing and for everyone who joins in to think the $4000 one is the competitive price instead of one that's sitting because it's overpriced.
facts.
Old 26th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another possible cause for inflated used prices is people putting out feelers, as in "I don't need to sell this, but I'm willing to part with it for <inflated amount>". So they put it out and it either sells or it doesn't.

For example, I may decide to sell a couple pieces in the next year or so but I don't really want/need to other than to make room for new gear, so I might put them up at a higher than normal price and if I get a bite, great, if not, I can negotiate downward, or take it off until I really want to sell it, or lower the price if I want it gone.
Old 26th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
There are cases where I smell money laundering. Especially with the most ridiculous "Buy it now" listings on eBay: prices seem designed to shoo any passers-by away.
Lives for gear

Speculation junkies have been squatting in the synth market for a little while now. Even the crypto ads on YouTube, the ones that target synth viewers (that's pretty much all I do on YouTube), have become more meta, i.e. they've become more about the process of buying and selling money, rather than about aspirations of getting rich. The lede for the new crypto ad seems to assume that I'm already rich, but that I'm addicted to the process, itself, of buying and selling ("Did you know, you can buy and sell crypto-currency thousands of times per day?!")

Also, let's say you're a successful drug dealer... vintage synths are a trendy item to have around now, that you can pay for with cash, that gains value without attracting the tax man. And, more people in general want synths, and there are fewer living vintage synths to go around each year, and everything new is out of stock lately. Plus, many people are just shameless.
Lots of interesting theories so far.

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix ➡️

It’s almost insane now to buy vintage. We’re living in a golden age of new synth gear.
Disagree. Buying vintage makes absolutely sense if you have the money and as long the prices are rising (and they still do, and probably will continue to do so since the supply of Jupiters und Junos will dry out even further). Today, you can buy vintage synths, use them, enjoy them and if you have to sell them you can do that for at least the same price you paid for or even more.
When opening the box of a new synth you are losing value...
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➡️
True tbf, there's no reason to buy a jx3p/juno over a new Deepmind other than it looks cool. And yet... I'd rather have that jx/juno. And so it continues lol.

Might have to do with the 80s being considered cheesy for so long, now everyone has caught up...
also... five octaves
Old 26th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not just synths that are going up.

Similar things that are attractive to collectors are also going up, like classic cars - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/b...-pandemic.html

sneakers - https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...er-investment/

and items at auction houses like Christie's - https://www.ft.com/content/080988c3-...c-66c7d62f8307
Old 26th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
That Kawai K4r has been up there for months. Makes me laugh every time I see it.
Old 26th April 2021
Gear Addict

Yeah, just about everything is up price wise (on Evilbay at least) no matter what the hobby/interest.
Probably too many contributing factors to list really.

About the money laundering mentioned earlier, I know nothing about it, but thought often the person laundering would buy whatever, expensively, then sell at a loss just to move it on. Sure you make a bit of a loss (within reason) but you end up with an amount of clean money.
A buddy of mine was a panel beater, he used to see it all the time.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, with the pandemic I would have thought it's a buyers market. But, oddly, just the opposite. Maybe it's some of that stimulus money, IDK. Even during good times, if a keyboardist is stuck between paying their bills or getting that synth they've been lusting over, the lust always wins in the end.
Old 26th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
From a practical pov it's really annoying as well. I've sold synths in the past thinking "I'm low on space, I'm selling this cos I fancy trying something else for a bit. If I end up missing it I'll just buy one back, they've always been cheap"

yeah... except then they weren't... so now I won't sell anything and my studio is slowly turning quite large lol
Old 27th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Some gear is strange. If said gear is discontinued for a reason that does not make sense to most of us, it could go above new price, especially on Reverb.

Now, I often take a huge loss on gear because I deal through a retailer that sell used gear or for whatever reason the gear I am selling is not on the radar for collectors. I think some gear get's a reputation of being desirable and gets traded around at better prices for the seller. I do know that most of the gear that I have and find useful for work has a low re-sell value.
Old 27th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still waiting for bargain 8 voice vco poly and 12 bit sampler appear..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It was only a few months ago a single toilet roll cost £$23,000

Be careful a loaf of bread might go the same way

In the meantime... and
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan225 ➡️
T<Deleted by Mod>
Except this is a worldwide scenario not constricted to USA.

Everything older is now advertised as vintage, back before this mania we used to call vintage by it's real name
- secondhand or even just old. I'm even seeing 90's and 2000's clothing sold as vintage...maybe it is, I dunno...

Last edited by Synth Guru; 27th April 2021 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Politics
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
Everything older is now advertised as vintage, back before this mania we used to call vintage by it's real name
- secondhand or even just old. I'm even seeing 90's and 2000's clothing sold as vintage...maybe it is, I dunno...
Good point, yes I've noticed "vintage" is now overused in an attempt to inflate an asking price. Same with if something gets called "old", I think another member has mentioned this. "Old" to me means, failing electronic components, ASICs chips getting tired and that new word -> unobtainium.
"Rare" - you know the one, like TR808s rare, I suppose it depends upon how a person defines rare. To me, under cooked!

To me simple, ignore, I have enough toys
Gear Head

Quote:
Except this is a worldwide scenario not constricted to USA.

Essentially ending interest and pumping USD into consumers hands in the wealthiest nation(for now!) in the world is going to have a global impact on asset prices; especially when market places for assets are global.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFunk ➡️
Good point, yes I've noticed "vintage" is now overused in an attempt to inflate an asking price. Same with if something gets called "old", I think another member has mentioned this. "Old" to me means, failing electronic components, ASICs chips getting tired and that new word -> unobtainium.
"Rare" - you know the one, like TR808s rare, I suppose it depends upon how a person defines rare. To me, under cooked!

To me simple, ignore, I have enough toys
I'm just glad of all the recent new more affodable gear available to not need to lust after the OG's anymore like I did, I have long crossed the TR-808 and Prophet 5 of my want list amongst other things. I'm almost done with my wants I'm glad to say. The curiosity has passed...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan225 ➡️
Essentially ending interest and pumping USD into consumers hands in the wealthiest nation(for now!) in the world is going to have a global impact on asset prices; especially when market places for assets are global.
Well, that's above my knowledge, just the inflation of everything now is getting stupid, sneakers to vintage synths and it's all over. Yet wages have not quadrupled.
Old 27th April 2021
Deleted 60622ed
In four years most "vintage" synths that I follow have doubled in price...hang in there and sell just before the bubble bursts!
Quote:
Well, that's above my knowledge, just the inflation of everything now is getting stupid, sneakers to vintage synths and it's all over. Yet wages have not quadrupled.
I agree. It's across the board really. Having recently moved I'm shocked at what I'm forced to pay for furniture and household necessities. Just outfitting one of my bathrooms with the usual items, mat, towels, vanity items etc. etc. came out to $250 at Wallyworld. A nearby thrift store that sells used furniture that's been overhauled by prison inmates has jacked its prices up threefold since the new year. A tank of gas for my motorcycle now costs $10! The supermarket is killing me!
The company I work keeps promising to level set salaries to current industry standard (far below now) but if they ever do it, it will be too little too late at the rate prices are rising. It's funny that I'm making much more money now than I did 10 years ago yet my standard of living hasn't improved much if any. The only noticeable improvement came from moving to a rural area where you get more square feet of housing for your money compared to the city. Otherwise the extra income doesn't show. I can't imagine trying to get by now on what I earned 10 years ago. I'd probably be homeless again.
Old 27th April 2021
A_C
Gear Maniac

Despite having a System 8, and multiple Juno plugins, I still find myself wanting a real Juno 106 or for Behringer to release one.

I can't quite figure out why. The new Model 84 plugin is a 10/10. So why do I want a hardware version?

I think it's because even though it sounds analog, for some reason the aesthetics matter to me. As well as a dedicated interface.

I thought I'd be happy with a System 8 but it feels like a smart midi controller. When I'm using the Jupiter 8 plugout I start to wish it also looked like one. Its caused me to creep on the Jupiter X but that would be swapping sound quality for aesthetics and feel.

Maybe I need medication
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_C ➡️
Despite having a System 8, and multiple Juno plugins, I still find myself wanting a real Juno 106 or for Behringer to release one.

I can't quite figure out why. The new Model 84 plugin is a 10/10. So why do I want a hardware version?

I think it's because even though it sounds analog, for some reason the aesthetics matter to me. As well as a dedicated interface.

I thought I'd be happy with a System 8 but it feels like a smart midi controller. When I'm using the Jupiter 8 plugout I start to wish it also looked like one. Its caused me to creep on the Jupiter X but that would be swapping sound quality for aesthetics and feel.

Maybe I need medication
No you're fine, I feel the same...Had the S8, got the 84, have a JU06A, all completely acceptable emulations of the 106, but still not a 106.

But my interest in the vintage market has completely dried up with todays prices. A decent 106 is going to set you back $1600+, it was one of the mid budget synths a few years back but will be hitting $2k soon.
Old 27th April 2021
Deleted 60622ed
you just made me bid on a 106

I hate GS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One can get caught up in the "I've gotta buy up my piece of the vintage treasure trove before it's completely unattainable!" hysteria. I remember a few months back I was at least semi-tempted to buy a Juno 60 priced at $2,500 (which almost seemed like a bargain in the current market, as bats**t crazy as that would've sounded a decade ago). But, you know, that whole mentality of "it's now or never, every month that goes by, the price just goes even higher, omg omg OMG!!!"

The antidote to a lot of this stuff is just putting emotion aside for a moment and taking a calm, rational look at that thing you want and what it would actually do for you. Talk to yourself like a parent making you see the practical side of things. For me, the inner "parent" basically was saying, "You bought a Juno 60 in 2010 for $750 and sold it a few months later. Obviously you weren't all that excited about it even when you got it for a fraction of the current price. What would this thing really, honestly do for your recordings and your process that would make it worth as much money as a Montage or a Kronos or any of a number of things that would provide a much broader palette of useful sounds? Would you really use it enough, once the short-lived glow of nostalgia wore off again, to justify the amount of your limited recording room space it would take up? Isn't that Alpha Juno 2 you already have (and hardly ever use) enough to scratch a little of the Juno itch when it strikes, even if it doesn't look as trendy/cool as a J-60?"

Yeah, it was hard to argue with all that. Screw it, let somebody who wants that Juno a lot more than I do have it.

Mind you, the whole "be practical" approach just applies if creating finished music is your main goal and you mainly see the gear as tools like paintbrushes. If you're, at least in part, a collector who just enjoys having gear from yesteryear, then obviously it's not for anyone else to criticize what brings you joy and none of their concern what you're willing to spend on it.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
Lets not forget good old Behringer too. Wouldn't be annoying the crap out of the misses with 303 acid lines on endless repeat if it weren't for them. Now if they would just try to do a JP-8...
I know, Right? As soon as they have the RD-9 out I'll just about have all I need to emulate Propellerheads Re-Birth in hardware. That would have put me out of house and home to get 2 vintage 303's and an 808 and 909.

I'm perfectly happy with most of my emulation/reproduction boxes. None of my gear is really vintage, and I'm ok with that. Even if it's not exactly the same as the original stuff.
📝 Reply