Quantcast
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hyper-inflated used prices = More NEW gear
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Following the sale of the $30k Jupiter 8, I see there's now a Lamm Memorymoog which is also yours for the bargain sum of $35k, also on Reverb again.

Last edited by wendell r.; 4 days ago at 02:40 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I got fed up with the vintage market. Even 'trash' synths from back in the day like Poly 800 and FB-01 are going for some ridiculous prices. I can fake vintage sounds close enough in eurorack, so it's all patching and sampling for me these days.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Newer analog and older digital is looking a better and better deal for a lot of musicians without an unlimited pot of money to spend.

There are some real bargains of digital synths all the way from the late 80's to the early 2010s still out there to be had nowadays, as well as some huge old organs that contain synths.

Last edited by wendell r.; 4 days ago at 02:49 PM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze ➡️
Nope, not US. Also it's used. So not a 'buy ASAP' price then?
probably not, unless the market where you live is very different...
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
Following the sale of the $30k Jupiter 8, I see there's now a Lamm Memorymoog which is also yours for the bargain sum of $35k, also on Reverb again.
does it come with mint sauce?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
;.)

If whoever said synths are going to start to resemble vintage guitars is right, in 20 years the prices could be from 20,000 dollars to 200,000 dollars.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
Newer analog and older digital is looking a better and better deal for a lot of musicians without an unlimited pot of money to spend.

There are some real bargains of digital synths all the way from the late 80's to the early 2010s still out there to be had nowadays, as well as some huge old organs that contain synths.
The caveat to the (still) cheap (less than 300 USD) digital 80s-90s stuff is that the interface on them is absolutely abysmal, and/or that they're just straight up bad romplers that an iPad app and a midi controller can do much more.

I mean you can love a U220, Alesis QS series, or the 03R/W all you want for your retro feelings, but I feel like there's better modern options.
Lives for gear

It's 1981. You walk into a keyboard store somewhere in middle America.

"Baldwin or Kimball?"

"I don't want a piano."

"Okay, Thomas or Lowrey?"

"I'm here for the back room."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Huh? Freddie told me he gets everything here and..."

"You're Freddie's friend? Are you 18?"

"Golly, sure!"

"Ok..." looks you up and down "You got cash? Follow me... over here we've got the Korg Prologue, a 3 oscillator 16 voice polysynth for $1500 (2021 retail price), or you could have the Polysix for $1900 (2021 reverb.com asking price). It's $400 more, and it's made with 40 year old parts, can't produce nearly as many good sounds, isn't even touch sensitive, and they don't offer a warranty like with the Prologue. I don't know why anyone would choose the Polysix here in 1981, but I had to take one, in order to stock the Prologue. Now, I looked inside the Prologue, and I don't know how anybody could fix it if it broke. The Japanese make miniature versions of everything, and these new components are ridiculous, but you do get that warranty. You gotta hear the fx on this thing! A studio would pay 10x the price just for that digital reverb. It's got a couple weird connectors on the back - my buddy says that's what they use in Japan now. Who knows what for? Anyhoo, the Prologue is a better synth in pretty much every way, and is cheaper, at current prices."

"But... I just think the Polysix sounds more gooey, 3D, euphonic...."

"Are you on drugs, kid? I gotta have a chat with Freddie..."
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone ➡️

"Baldwin or Kimball?"

"I don't want a piano."

"Golly, sure!"

"Ok..." looks you up and down "You got cash? Follow me... over here we've got the Korg Prologue, a 3 oscillator 16 voice polysynth for $1500 (2021 retail price), or you could have the Polysix for $1900 (2021 reverb.com asking price). It's $400 more, and it's made with 40 year old parts, can't produce nearly as many good sounds, isn't even touch sensitive, and they don't offer a warranty like with the Prologue. I don't know why anyone would choose the Polysix here in 1981, but I had to take one, in order to stock the Prologue. Now, I looked inside the Prologue, and I don't know how anybody could fix it if it broke. The Japanese make miniature versions of everything, and these new components are ridiculous, but you do get that warranty. You gotta hear the fx on this thing! A studio would pay 10x the price just for that digital reverb. It's got a couple weird connectors on the back - my buddy says that's what they use in Japan now. Who knows what for? Anyhoo, the Prologue is a better synth in pretty much every way, and is cheaper, at current prices."

absolutely
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

"Baldwin or Kimball?"

"I don't want a piano."

"Golly, sure!"

LOL. Man the Prologue. What a great post. I think that synth is amazing honestly for the price.

And I do think nostalgia is a powerful drug at times. Personally I love seeing the “I bought this on craigs for $500” posts and it’s a vintage synth. Likewise I cringe when someone spends $2k on a beaten up 106.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
I don't doubt your experience. Maybe it was fixed in an update? I just know I haven't had any issues syncing MPC live + SBX-1 and I am pretty sensitive to timing issues. Used atari and mpc60 for ages entirely for that reason, but switching to MPC Live did not make me go hmmm. Instead I sold the atari and the 60.
Unfortunately has not been fixed. I get why you would move on from the 60. Its a lot of work to do simple things. Really matters what your vibe is when making music. I found that too many extra steps when sampling is a hassle and my only hardware sampler im using right now is a pocket operator. For drums now i either record drum machines into ableton or use samples itb.

Some people love that longer old school process though. I would still buy an older mpc if i ever stumbled on a decent deal for one. But they are so pricey now and god knows what condition they are in.

Thats why im hoping to see someone make a new/old mpc style machine with modern (fast) sampling options, analogue effects and rock solid clock and feel. Closest is the analogue rytm so far but it doesnt have the same swing, only samples in mono and has limited voices. Still a great machine though.
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➡️
LOL. Man the Prologue. What a great post. I think that synth is amazing honestly for the price.

And I do think nostalgia is a powerful drug at times. Personally I love seeing the “I bought this on craigs for $500” posts and it’s a vintage synth. Likewise I cringe when someone spends $2k on a beaten up 106.
The price is one thing, and you're right to say it's amazing, but beyond that, Korg managed a 16V vco synth, which only the short-lived A6 and the Moog One provided in terms of production-line instruments.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
The price is one thing, and you're right to say it's amazing, but beyond that, Korg managed a 16V vco synth, which only the short-lived A6 and the Moog One provided in terms of production-line instruments.
Yes and that is quite a sound too. Hell, i flip over my DM12 detuned in unison mode.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
mfb pro synth -- 24 VCO.
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
mfb pro synth -- 24 VCO.
Yes, 8 voices, not 16.

Prologue has 32 VCOs.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
value of fiat money is keep decreasing
someday, i'd like to see a market place based on crypto.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Nothing in synths seems that surprising now after reading this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...ldin-auctions/

Wish I’d been better at collecting these things as a kid now.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn ➡️
value of fiat money is keep decreasing
someday, i'd like to see a market place based on crypto.
There are some pretty big problems with using deflationary assets as currency.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland ➡️
Wish I’d been better at collecting these things as a kid now.
Yeah, lots of things out there that I used to own when I was poor are too expensive now that I have a solidly middle class income. The big one was my car in the mid 90's, purchased for $500, was a 1963 VW Deluxe Bus. Today, it would be $50k minimum, maybe more. My brother's baseball card collection--that he built mostly through trading, not buying--today would almost certainly sell for over $150k. I know one of the cards he had recently sold for $23k alone. So synth prices, while annoying, aren't /THAT/ crazy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi ➡️
Yeah, lots of things out there that I used to own when I was poor are too expensive now that I have a solidly middle class income. The big one was my car in the mid 90's, purchased for $500, was a 1963 VW Deluxe Bus. Today, it would be $50k minimum, maybe more. My brother's baseball card collection--that he built mostly through trading, not buying--today would almost certainly sell for over $150k. I know one of the cards he had recently sold for $23k alone. So synth prices, while annoying, aren't /THAT/ crazy.
I do think that a jupiter 8 will sell for 100k one day.
Here for the gear

Quote:

"Baldwin or Kimball?"

"I don't want a piano."

"Golly, sure!"

i wholeheartedly agree with you, but to be fair, with the Prologue, i’m always looking for the sweet spot which is quite narrow depending on the type of sound you’re making, while on the Polysix, the whole damn thing is a sweet spot, its raw oscillators are good enough to be a sound of its own.

still love the Prologue to death do, it’s about what it can do rather than what it cannot do for sure with this one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There are some pretty big problems with using deflationary assets as currency.
Basically, that nobody uses it, they hoard it like dragon gold until the bubble/ponzi bursts.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
Basically, that nobody uses it, they hoard it like dragon gold until the bubble/ponzi bursts.
Buyers have fear of being the guy that paid 10,000 Bitcoin for a pizza. Sellers worry about getting paid in something the loses half its value.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland ➡️
Buyers have fear of being the guy that paid 10,000 Bitcoin for a pizza. Sellers worry about getting paid in something the loses half its value.
well unless you were the pizza guy. I'm guessing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser ➡️
well unless you were the pizza guy. I'm guessing
I want to know how the pizza guy gets his tip?
If you don't tip the pizza deliverer you'll be wise to order pizza elsewhere next time around
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
Basically, that nobody uses it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve ➡️
I want to know how the pizza guy gets his tip?
I think the best tip for pizza guys judging by events, is to accept Bitcoin ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo ➡️
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3TXSp1XEAc4Kw_?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
But I'll stop the diversion on a synth forum
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
Egads!
Was a tactical nuke detonated up in here or what?

Did someone mention hardware samplers?
What's wrong with hardware samplers?

*rolls up sleeves, looks around to see if moderators are watching*
📝 Reply