The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Seriously!.....with your money. PolyBrute or OB-6.
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’d take a long, hard look at a PolyBrute desktop. That’d sorta be somewhere between a Take5 and a Summit.

OB-6 and P6 are best paired with at least TWELVE other synths - that maybe emphasizes modulation and/or does drums, or a bassline, etc.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
…at least one other synth…
What forum do you think you’re on?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
What forum do you think you’re on?
You're right. I fixed it.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You're right. I fixed it.
I forgive you.
Gear Maniac

May be take keybed quality in consideration too where OB6 clearly wins. Other than that I can watch 100 youtube videos and then when I go to a shop and when Ii try it myself its most of the time a whole different story…

Also music is so subjective there is not much worth in other peoples opinion what sounds better. Who cares what ither people think unless you want to be most mainstream. Its just what you think sounds best and works for ur music.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVR ➡️
May be take keybed quality in consideration too where OB6 clearly wins. Other than that I can watch 100 youtube videos and then when I go to a shop and when Ii try it myself its most of the time a whole different story…

Also music is so subjective there is not much worth in other peoples opinion what sounds better. Who cares what ither people think unless you want to be most mainstream. Its just what you think sounds best and works for ur music.
I’ve not tried the OB-6’s keyboard, but if it’s anything like the Pro-2 keyboard, I’d say you’re correct. The PolyBrute does have a lighter, flimsier feel to it, though I’ve not had any problems with it. My first one had to go back for a voice card that wouldn’t tune, but I also had a Prophet 12 with a bad oscillator bleed issue and a REV2 with a bad display. I guess what I’m saying is, sh!t happens and I wouldn’t really judge either company.
Gear Nut

The PolyBrute keyboard does not feel good for the price
Old 30th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital droe3 ➡️
It definitely feels like they cut cost by saving on the keyboard, putting that toward the other onboard controllers. If I remember right, I think the Modal Cobalt and Argon keybeds felt nicer when feeling various keybeds when I was last in the local synth store, despite being a fraction of the price, let alone the Sequential synths. I'm guessing adding another $100 (a number I made up) for a nicer keybed would've been a welcomed expense for people interested in the PB. The PB keybed was just kind of... there.
Old 30th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There’s a lot of personal preference in keyboard feel. I must have auditioned a pretty good percentage of the market before settling on my Kawai digital piano (genuinely a cut above the other options for keyboard action, at least for my preferences). I actually quite like the keyboard on my Polybrute, it’s very fast and responds really nicely to aftertouch. Five octaves too. The semi-weighted keys on my OB6 do feel more solid and give off a vibe of high quality, but I can’t honestly say I prefer them to the PB when I’m actually playing. When controlling plugins etc. I take the extra octave of my PB over my OB every time.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It definitely feels like they cut cost by saving on the keyboard, putting that toward the other onboard controllers. If I remember right, I think the Modal Cobalt and Argon keybeds felt nicer when feeling various keybeds when I was last in the local synth store, despite being a fraction of the price, let alone the Sequential synths. I'm guessing adding another $100 (a number I made up) for a nicer keybed would've been a welcomed expense for people interested in the PB. The PB keybed was just kind of... there.
Well, what they did was take that “$100” and put it into the Morphee and touch strip. The Keybed is definitely useable. It feels consistent and the aftertouch is nice, plus that added the duophonic aftertouch thing, which though software, is a brilliant idea.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital droe3 ➡️
It's pretty feature packed for the price considering it's 41? pounds.
Deleted d4b4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
There’s a lot of personal preference in keyboard feel. I must have auditioned a pretty good percentage of the market before settling on my Kawai digital piano (genuinely a cut above the other options for keyboard action, at least for my preferences). I actually quite like the keyboard on my Polybrute, it’s very fast and responds really nicely to aftertouch. Five octaves too. The semi-weighted keys on my OB6 do feel more solid and give off a vibe of high quality, but I can’t honestly say I prefer them to the PB when I’m actually playing. When controlling plugins etc. I take the extra octave of my PB over my OB every time.
Hydrasynth is exactly the same.
Old 31st March 2022
Here for the gear
My short and sweet answer is: don't get an OB6 unless you want an OB6 and crave that distinct, unmatchable sound. If you want a VCO poly that does it all, get a Polybrute. In response to some folks who said the Polybrute can sound like an OB6, in your dreams!
Old 7th April 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Polybrute. Because I'm not going to get bored of programming it, and the morphing between patches takes it to another level of sound design.

PB is much better value for money than the OB6 IMO, which should have dropped in price much more now. OB6 is about £800 more expensive than the PB in the UK, which is ridiculous when you compare what each synth offers in terms of hardware. OB6 should be around £1800 now, after taking shipping costs into account. Novation Summit is less than that and it has 16 voices and is duophonic FFS.
Old 7th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
Polybrute. Because I'm not going to get bored of programming it, and the morphing between patches takes it to another level of sound design.

PB is much better value for money than the OB6 IMO, which should have dropped in price much more now. OB6 is about £800 more expensive than the PB in the UK, which is ridiculous when you compare what each synth offers in terms of hardware. OB6 should be around £1800 now, after taking shipping costs into account. Novation Summit is less than that and it has 16 voices and is duophonic FFS.
i would not compare the ob6 with the summit. very different synths. but yes with the new price hike, if you missed out well go for a polybrute then. I actually found the Take5 sounded better than, and had a better feeling keyboard on it but to each there own. I personally would probably never buy a synth that looks like it has a novation launch pad lodged into it. I find the screen far away from the place where you play, i feel like the mod wheel and the coffee coaster/morph feature should be swapped. If i spend more time with it maybe I would like it but the OB6 is much more immediate and then the take5 is just pretty damn awesome as well.

I like the novation summit a lot but comparing it to a ob6.... haha. naah....
Old 8th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
i would not compare the ob6 with the summit. very different synths. but yes with the new price hike, if you missed out well go for a polybrute then. I actually found the Take5 sounded better than, and had a better feeling keyboard on it but to each there own. I personally would probably never buy a synth that looks like it has a novation launch pad lodged into it. I find the screen far away from the place where you play, i feel like the mod wheel and the coffee coaster/morph feature should be swapped. If i spend more time with it maybe I would like it but the OB6 is much more immediate and then the take5 is just pretty damn awesome as well.

I like the novation summit a lot but comparing it to a ob6.... haha. naah....
I need a minimum of 49 keys on my polysynths, and 5 voices is a bit limiting too, so the Take 5 is never a viable option. Six voices is already making me feel sad

Summit may not sound like an OB6, but it can do a lot more in terms of sound design and those 16 voices and 8-voice layered patches will take you into places where the OB6 cannae go, Captain.
Chris Huggett was just as good an engineer as Dave Smith or Tom Oberheim, and there are lots of Chris's ideas in the Peak / Summit design.
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/ri...synth-designer
Old 8th April 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While I covet an OB6 pretty badly, a PolyBrute is simply more, more, more synth for less money. And sounds stellar.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need a minimum of 49 keys on my polysynths, and 5 voices is a bit limiting too, so the Take 5 is never a viable option. Six voices is already making me feel sad

Summit may not sound like an OB6, but it can do a lot more in terms of sound design and those 16 voices and 8-voice layered patches will take you into places where the OB6 cannae go, Captain.
Chris Huggett was just as good an engineer as Dave Smith or Tom Oberheim, and there are lots of Chris's ideas in the Peak / Summit design.
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/ri...synth-designer
If your looking at the summit like that then the prologue has all that but aftertouch, and it has VCO's. OB6 Voices are thicker(especially the sub) than most synths. Anything sequential for that matter. I've thought about a summit or a peak, maybe in the future, but its not VCO's so expect to spend more time to make them sound decent. It is what it is. Same with the rev2. The Polybrute just didnt do it for me. I admit I may have to spend more time with it but the filter on the Take5 is better than the filters on the Polybrute. Hands down. Decent VCO's + Good Filter makes good sound. And what is music, but sound.

I said it before and I'll say it again. WTF did they make the screen so far away from the keyboard on the polybrute. Also with no tilt. WTF is that. Sorry but its just not well layed out, as other bros of mine have said. I would consider it if it was cheaper but Dreadbox makes better sounding VCO's than the PB, but the PB is more capable of other territory. Comparing Chris to Tom or Dave is alittle strange. He was good at what he did but Tom designed the airline instrument controls for inside cockpits of planes so no.... Completely different. Tom was and is next level sorry to say. This is why there are so many VST's emulating the Oberheim sound, Behringer trying to copy it, along with many many others. They are not the same. Enjoy your summit. It seems nice, but if your looking for an analog synth, look elsewhere.

I myself will buy an instrument because of the sound it creates, not because of what features it has one paper. Not to say the Summit sounds bad, because it doesnt. It sounds good, but it may take more time to make it sound good. Look at the Rev2 and what how people make patches from scratch and you will see. Digital takes a bit of time usually compare to VCO's. It is what it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Features for dollars may or may not have relevance from one person to the next, depending on everything included in the package. I thought I'd buy the Peak as my first hardware synth because it ticked all the boxes and the price was fair considering the features. Then I tried it. And didn't like any part of it except maybe the reverb. But that's me and what my ears and brain like and don't like. I then went to the Minilogue XD and liked it better than the Peak, until I tried the OB-6.....

(I still wish I had an XD but don't have space for it, so I make do with the Polysix VST)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
PolyBrute

Sounds great! sonically very versatile and it has the best interface for a complex synth that I have used (which is lots). The Matrix is freakin awesome!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s a complete myth that OB6 has a thick single voice sound. Turn off the effects and play a single voice and you will NOT be hearing a thick or luscious sound. In unison with a good twist of vintage mode it CAN sound massive, but that’s a different use case. I nearly sold my OB6 because it wasn’t the huge and warm sounding VCO poly synth I’d hoped it would be. It turns out it’s pretty great for other things (I love it for sequencer and arpeggio parts, bass drones, and the stuff you can get out of the xmod can be really interesting) but don’t believe the hype.

Some of the sounds I create on my Polybrute completely knock the socks off my OB6. The inverse just isn’t true. The OB6 does have its own character and uses and I’m keeping mine, but my experience markedly differs to those people making out that the OB6 is some kind of tone god while the Polybrute sounds like a rotting potato.

Regarding UX, the OB6 is a simple synth. It does suffer from some terrible parameter scaling with the xmod and lfo sections but is otherwise well laid out. The Polybrute does a great job of bringing a lot of complexity to the table with a very approachable UX, but some people seem to struggle a little more with it. To me it’s an absolute breeze compared to something like my Yamaha TG77 but it’s not as slick as my Prophet 12. The rubberised matrix buttons are a bit squishy and don’t give grade A positive, tactile feedback. Some of the global encoders feel a bit sluggish too. No issues like that on the OB6, but it’s not a deal breaker. So there we go, in my opinion the OB6 is overhyped and the Polybute really isn’t.

Last edited by adydub; 9th April 2022 at 08:17 AM..
Old 9th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

The quality of the unit should have been on par with at least the prophet 6, maybe the prophet 5.
Old 11th April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It’s a complete myth that OB6 has a thick single voice sound. Turn off the effects and play a single voice and you will NOT be hearing a thick or luscious sound. In unison with a good twist of vintage mode it CAN sound massive, but that’s a different use case. I nearly sold my OB6 because it wasn’t the huge and warm sounding VCO poly synth I’d hoped it would be. It turns out it’s pretty great for other things (I love it for sequencer and arpeggio parts, bass drones, and the stuff you can get out of the xmod can be really interesting) but don’t believe the hype.

Some of the sounds I create on my Polybrute completely knock the socks off my OB6. The inverse just isn’t true. The OB6 does have its own character and uses and I’m keeping mine, but my experience markedly differs to those people making out that the OB6 is some kind of tone god while the Polybrute sounds like a rotting potato.

Regarding UX, the OB6 is a simple synth. It does suffer from some terrible parameter scaling with the xmod and lfo sections but is otherwise well laid out. The Polybrute does a great job of bringing a lot of complexity to the table with a very approachable UX, but some people seem to struggle a little more with it. To me it’s an absolute breeze compared to something like my Yamaha TG77 but it’s not as slick as my Prophet 12. The rubberised matrix buttons are a bit squishy and don’t give grade A positive, tactile feedback. Some of the global encoders feel a bit sluggish too. No issues like that on the OB6, but it’s not a deal breaker. So there we go, in my opinion the OB6 is overhyped and the Polybute really isn’t.
Yeah, I don’t get it when people call the OB6 warm. One of my biggest frustrations with it was trying to dial down the high end. I ended up having the filter and resonance no more than 9-10 o’clock. And the scaling on the X-Mod was annoying.
Old 11th April 2022
Deleted b0d0e05
Never found my (ex) OB-6 'warm' either... It sounded glorious on the right (custom) patch, and the analog distortion could add some interesting grit on resonant sounds (great for droning intros and such). I found it much better at that than the (ex) Prophet 6 which was just duller and smaller sounding all round (though the Prophet 6 due to its dullness tended to sound warmer but not like 'real warmth' - there was little texture or presence there so it was a muted warmth when the cut off was down... or just harsh and flat with it open). OB-6 was definitely the better sounding synth of those 2 by a mile, but it had its sonic limits and once I'd used up all the tone I felt I could handle in around 10 of my songs I had no problem letting it go for the more flexible, more interesting VCOs on the Prologue 16... (I think the filter was nicer on the OB-6 but not the VCOs). P16 had some proper warmth, until I got my Prophet 10 (rev 4) it was about the closest any modern poly analog I'd owned had got to the old style warmth/presence... but there was a hint of mush and lack of clarity about it (that you may not notice unless you put it next to a proper vintage VCO synth... I'd say overall the P6, OB-6 and the Prologue 16 all suffered to various degrees with various factors vs even some of my old Roland DCO synths (sans chorus). OB-6 won on some things, P16 on others... overall the P16 was the more useful synth, 5 octaves, 16 voices and nicer 'swimmy' VCOs so it made sense to keep it over the OB-6.

I've never been interested in the polybrute though, none of the demos or whatever have impressed me, I'm not impressed by fancy modulation or over the top 'all in one' sounds that are impressive in isolation but not always so much in music, often to the point you could use digital/softsynths + tons of FX in a DAW for similar effect. Also I don't exactly love the looks, it's not as tacky as the Jupiter-X abomination for sure, and I even like the blue on the PB.. but the wank paddle looks daft, ugly... the knobs are all over the place and it has that usual whiff of Arturia 'gonna die within 3 years' vibe about it. If the sound blew me away ANYWHERE (like the OB-6 CAN in many of its sweet spots) then fine, I'd give it a go.. but it doesn't seem to excel in any 'tone' just in its gimmicks and features... that's not for me, I've been there so many times and grew tired of so-so sound dressed up with exotic features. Often I just get tired of using overly designed synths, not because I can't but because it takes me away from the flow of creating MUSIC rather than working on a science project. :/ (YMMV).

I would honestly not rec either of these synths still.. I'd maybe look at P16 IF you don't mind the limits and the digital stage that muffles/mushes things a touch (even with it it still sounds more musical than most other synths that have come out in recent times - rolandeqsue but with actual vcos - I hope Korg make a follow up with pure analog outs and a few additions/tweaks).

Tonally nothing touches my Prophet 10 for now... not even close, it sings like a mofo... has warmth for days, has presence exactly like old synths (tonally) and obviously looks and feels the part. I understand not everyone cares enough to spend $4k on a synth... but I see few viable options between a Prophet 10 and a Prologue 16 that don't fall in to the tonally flawed or octavely nerfed (or both) bracket. Polybrute is kinda rare in its position in that but it doesn't mean just because it exists it has to be bought or even liked... Like the Moog One, I wish Arturia had just dialed the gimmicks back and made a much more robust, simpler and stronger sounding ANALOG synth instead of trying to kitchen-sink things.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b0d0e05 ➡️
Like the Moog One, I wish Arturia had just dialed the gimmicks back and made a much more robust, simpler and stronger sounding ANALOG synth instead of trying to kitchen-sink things.
Based on this comment and others like it I’ve read here and elsewhere on the net, I’d say there’s still a lot of room in the market for simpler analog polys.

While “kitchen sink” polys have their fanbase, there’s another segment which clearly prefers simple polys where the focus is on tone rather than features.

The success of the Sequential Rev 4 is an indicator of just how strong the thirst is for fundamental sounds which can then be developed through other means (arrangement, composition, external FX etc).

I suspect the pressure for hardware synths to have so many features comes from software. Is it, however, a losing battle?

Were I a hardware synth designer, I would concede that battle and focus on tone and ease of use—my target being that segment of the market put off by kitchen sink synths.

Let the player add complexity via other means as the muse may guide, without having it there all the time, in your face.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Based on this comment and others like it I’ve read here and elsewhere on the net, I’d say there’s still a lot of room in the market for simpler analog polys.

While “kitchen sink” polys have their fanbase, there’s another segment which clearly prefers simple polys where the focus is on tone rather than features.

The success of the Sequential Rev 4 is an indicator of just how strong the thirst is for fundamental sounds which can then be developed through other means (arrangement, composition, external FX etc).

I suspect the pressure for hardware synths to have so many features comes from software. Is it, however, a losing battle?

Were I a hardware synth designer, I would concede that battle and focus on tone and ease of use—my target being that segment of the market put off by kitchen sink synths.

Let the player add complexity via other means as the muse may guide, without having it there all the time, in your face.
It need not be either/or...

Define a 'kitchen sink' synth. Is the PolyBrute a kitchen sink synth? Not sure I would call it that. To me, the Quantum/Iridium would be more along the those lines. The PB has 2 Osc's, 2 Filters and a fairly basic signal path.

Where the PB shines (or fails depending on who you are talking to) for me are the modulation possibilities and the ease and hands on ability to use them. It is tedious that people have to denigrate what they don't particularly like/use. The modulation flexibility, the morphee pad and ribbon controller are not gimmicky... they are useful and expressive tools.

Deep modulation capabilities does not mean one is creating 1 key press ambient soundscapes. I make simple sounds, but with some complex but subtle control over it via modulation and with expressive flexibility. For example, having control over envelope shape is valuable.

Personally, I think the PB sounds excellent. And if Arturia focused just on sound and kept the synth simple, doesn't mean the person who doesn't like the sound of the PB would like that synth any more. Perhaps the PB is already Arturia's best effort at good tone + ease of use.

I think it is challenging for a manufacturer to create a simple 'tone' synth. The tone purists are very picky about it and often disagree with each other about what constitutes good tone. The Rev4 was fairly safe as that synth has stood the test of time and was desired by lots of people for historical value.
Old 11th April 2022
Lives for gear

PolyBrute by a mile.

Had an OB6, sold it. Would consider the PB if ever in the market for another poly.
Old 11th April 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think good tone for a lot of people is what they’ve heard on recordings. So we end up with a lot of people who think the best tone is the minimoog and Prophet 5 or perhaps a Juno or Jupiter 8 because that’s the sound they associate in their mind for how a synth should sound. There’s also folks who love the Fairlight and Emu - again a distinct set of sounds heard on a lot of recordings. Even versions of the DX7 elec piano still turn up on every workstation and stage piano but some people still want that primal ‘best’ tone from the real thing.

I’m totally fine with this and there’s a reason some things endure, but I think trying to claim something is the ‘best sounding’ is a bit of a fools game as we bring so much baggage, conscious or otherwise. I think the best we can do is to try and be authentic with regards to our personal tastes, while recognising the validity of what others like but may not resonate with us individually.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think good tone for a lot of people is what they’ve heard on recordings. So we end up with a lot of people who think the best tone is the minimoog and Prophet 5 or perhaps a Juno or Jupiter 8 because that’s the sound they associate in their mind for how a synth should sound.
When I switch on my Jump 60 from time to time (rarely use it in any track, just too lazy), the sound impresses me every time again, the amount of realism. It just sounds more alive. Then I don't care about records or whatsoever. The P5 has a great sound, too. I just check the sound of the Juno because everytime I think, for this money I could buy a Polybrute or some other modern analog synth, but everytime the Juno proves that it has its place and cannot be replaced.
Old 11th April 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nothing wrong with liking a Juno. It’s stood the test of time and has been used on thousands of recordings. I’d happily admit that at least some of those recordings have informed my tastes, at least on a subconscious level if nothing else. Of course, when the Juno 60 was first released, there were a lot of players saying it sounded sterile and plastic compared to the polysynths from the USA. Funny how opinions change.

Why don’t you just plug the Juno into a couple of spare inputs on your interface and play some stuff in? You may find it fun and inspirational. Even if your playing isn’t good enough to play any fast lines by hand, most people should manage to get some pads/chords, drones or fx out of it. I guess it’s still a nice object to have around even if you don’t use it on your tracks but I can’t help feel it’s a bit of a waste.
📝 Reply