The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line 6 helix alternatives for synths
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear
Line 6 helix alternatives for synths

I am still not quite understanding how to shop for modern day multi effects. I like reverb. But I am not obsessed with it - I won’t judge it too critically, and it’s not the first thing I drench my sounds in. I also have no use for amp simulations.

So I am not looking for a little reverb only box, I have a couple of those. I am not looking for something to make my keyboard sound like an electric guitar through one of dozens of amps stacks.

I have a Korg A1 which is super long in the tooth but I am essentially looking for a newer one of these - chain able muktieffects, and cool envelope or delay tricks are as welcome as reverb. I feel like this nursed to be easier to find.

I bought an almost new line 6 helix last year and it was a pretty big purchase. I am not unhappy with it, but it doesn’t seem geared towards anything but guitar, and this bias shows in several ways. I do like the actual device.

Is this the best I will find nowadays? I see people mentioning the lexicon pcm81/82 as good, but they look old enough that I feel it might not be worth it. I don’t mind old in terms of sound but I am paranoid about things that are still expensive but out of service, I either want old and cheap enough not to care if it breaks, or new enough to still be serviced by the company or a service center.

That’s a lot of words asking for a multi effect rack thst is not too guitar centric.
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear

I would look at a fractal axe fx - the early ones like Standard or Ultra. Fantastic effects of all kinds.
Old 5th February 2021
So, the latest and greatest top-shelf guitar devices are trying to as accurately as possible represent guitar amps and effects. They'll do what you want very well. Helix, Kemper, AxeFX, Headrush come to mind.

But ... when you throw non-guitars through these the highly accurate amp and cab sims may not be all that important since we rarely hear it. So, you might be able to get away with less accurate and much cheaper options. Something like a Zoom G3n (or G3Xn if you want an expression pedal) might be plenty. BTW, I find that the bass versions (ie something like a B3n) are often better on synths as they give you features like dry/wet mix on a lot of effects. Heck, if you can live with a more restricted interface even a G1 or B1 would do it as might single pedal form factor devices like the Zoom MS50G. In this class of gear there is so much stuff from Boss and Mooer, Digitech and NU-X along with countless other brands that you can turn to. In this market, used devices are cheap and plentiful on eBay, Reverb etc. Check the UI though as some of these are pretty bad in that regard.

Also under-rated is turning off the amp and cab sim and using the other effects since they tend to be quite good and you get a lot of them for very little money.

Anyway, it's an idea to consider.
Old 5th February 2021
Gear Addict

Eventide Eclipse for $2K or Eventide H9000 for $5.5-$7K. The eclipse is over 10 years old but all the sounds are still relevant as it is the technology that most of Eventide pedals are built on. Editing can be a pain but still sounds good.

I started with an HX stomp but honestly find most of the effects to be very meh. I have gotten interesting sounds with the amp and distortion stuff but that wasn’t my focus. I gave this to my wife to use as a direct and FX box for her electric violin and that has been a worthy use.

Similar box is the Boss 1000Core. It has almost all of the algorithms of their 3 big box pedals and also guitar stuff. I would imagine that the effects are better.
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Boss pedal have excellent effects and bang for your bucks
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I definitely think there's a hole in the market for this kind of device and I'm surprised no one has tried fill it yet. I'd love for Boss to put their three 500 series pedals into one desktop/rack type of package and aim it for studio and synth use. In the meantime have you looked at the Eventide H9?
Old 5th February 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Eclipse if you can afford it, or mid priced a Lexicon MPX-1. For a crazy amount of flexibility and knobs, Mod Duo X. I think I might end up with a TC Plethora 5 at some point because the algorithms sound good and each button is an expression device, like your A1. (I used to have that pedal, I really liked it for that spring loaded pedal) For cheap, a Behringer X-Air 12. The nice thing about the X-Air is that you have multiple ins and outs so you can use it on multiple instruments going to different inputs. If you’re studio bound, I recommend the UAD audio interfaces. It’s expensive, but you can custom pick your algorithms and there are a lot to choose from and they’re very good.
Old 5th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall ➡️
I definitely think there's a hole in the market for this kind of device and I'm surprised no one has tried fill it yet. I'd love for Boss to put their three 500 series pedals into one desktop/rack type of package and aim it for studio and synth use. In the meantime have you looked at the Eventide H9?
I think the days of rack effects are gone, at least for mid to low end price points. Mostly only studios want them and they want the best so they’ll pay for a high end Eventide. People mostly want pedals now and they won’t put up with those crappy rack interfaces of yesterday. (As much as I loved the sound of my MPX-1, that thing sucked to program) That’s the only explanation I can think of, because that world has dried up. I used to have a rack of all the Electrix boxes. Really interesting and fun effects and a great audio looper. They went belly up. There was talk about them doing plugin versions but nothing ever came out of it.

Anyway, recently I realized my instrument collection was perfect and I really had no reason to want to change anything, but all of my effects were part of the instrument or ITB. I think I’m not alone in that, which is why there’s no one making less expensive rack effects. Anyway, I got the idea that I wanted something knobby but flexible. I tried a Dreadbox Hypnosis. The chorus was good, the delay was OK but the reverb had a noise issue and such a resonance to it that it was hard for me to use all the time. In the end I went with the ModDevices Mod Duo X because the effects sounded decent, but more importantly, they can be routed in very creative ways and there’s a bunch of buttons and knobs that you can use to make changes in real time. It’s not as good sounding as a Strymon or Eventide box, but I can do it all in a small space and I’d need at least 3 effects boxes at a minimum. (Modulation, delay and reverb) The H9 sound great but the fact that they crippled it with one effect at a time doesn’t make it useful to me. Not for that price. Especially now that I can get those algorithms running in my DAW.
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear

Fractal FX-III is brilliant. More useful for synth than the Helix, although that's a good tool too. All things Eventide (H9's can be stacked) ... MOD devices have a creative complexity to offer too ...
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear
Ok this is a firehouse. I am learning a lot. Too many things To respond to individually.

The Axe Fx iii looks interesting. I have been researching Eventide stuff and what I want, a h8000w, is really expensive. I could buy that cirklon I was eyeing and just keep my helix.

It’s weird when I was young all my money went to effects for my bass. They were essential for crafting a sound of my own. Now it’s like a nice to have thing, funny how things change.
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear

I've been ruminating over getting the Helix rack myself. What specific things do you dislike about it?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
I've been ruminating over getting the Helix rack myself. What specific things do you dislike about it?
i dont actively dislike anything about it. I don't like "paying" for all the Amp, cab, and mike simulations. line 6 seems to put most of their effort into developing those. so if this box is expensive, a big fraction of the expense is the R&D they put into features that I dont need or want.

the sound, seems fine, and for a lot of stuff it is hard to tell what is "better" in my rig since it is made of parts that are not all uniformly hi-fi.

i really like the UI and the editor, it is easy to use, the box has great routing. I guess I just want a feature set that is a bit more tailored to the kinds of things I want to do.

but as another poster mentioned, there is a hole in the market. I cant have a bunch of pedals littering my space. one big pedal control is one thing, but I need to be able to rack things. so I am not willingly going to buy pedal type form factors unless it is something I cant do without somehow.

and as for the MOD duo X, I have a zynthian which has the MOD patch editor thing, and while it is ok, it is not at the same level as something like the Helix. I used it until I found some better rack effects like the korg A1, the yamaha spx2000, the Helix. The first two I mentioned are really old and I am just waiting for them to die, and both are for whatever reason really noisy. they are nice to have but you cannot rely on them.

I am not sure what move to make. maybe just fully utilizing the Helix despite my misgivings is the "total utilization" way to go, and worry about better later. I am not really ready to spend something close to the value of all my gear on a H9000 or something
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear
ok I think @ zerocrossing mentioned the idea of using a UAD interface as a standalone effects processor. This actually doesnt sound like a bad idea at all
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I think the days of rack effects are gone, at least for mid to low end price points. Mostly only studios want them and they want the best so they’ll pay for a high end Eventide. People mostly want pedals now and they won’t put up with those crappy rack interfaces of yesterday. (As much as I loved the sound of my MPX-1, that thing sucked to program) That’s the only explanation I can think of, because that world has dried up. I used to have a rack of all the Electrix boxes. Really interesting and fun effects and a great audio looper. They went belly up. There was talk about them doing plugin versions but nothing ever came out of it.
It seems to me like loads of people are using pedals which is great. I use loads myself and having come from a guitar background they're very familiar to me. While the general form factor of pedals isn't bad they're designed to be used on the floor. Dreadbox may not have done a good enough job with the effects, but I think they had the right idea.

Tech21 make these multi effects called Fly Rigs that are like everything a guitar player would need to do a gig. I think it would be awesome if they did something similar for synths, but designed to sit on a desk with nice bypass buttons instead of foot switches.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles ➡️
i dont actively dislike anything about it. I don't like "paying" for all the Amp, cab, and mike simulations. line 6 seems to put most of their effort into developing those. so if this box is expensive, a big fraction of the expense is the R&D they put into features that I dont need or want.
This makes sense to me. At companies like Fractal, Kemper and to a lesser extent Line 6, the big R&D project is the amp sims. They're the hardest thing to get right and have just now, after two plus decades, begun to deliver what was promised "on the tin" in the early days. On the other hand, great DSP reverbs, choruses, delays etc have been around since the mid 80s so none of the above-mentioned companies expect to reinvent the wheel there. I don't want to go as far as to say that the effects are an afterthought (L6 was one of the first companies to try their hand at digital emulations of stuff like Echoplexes and Memory Man) but they're not the main attraction as you say.

As a longtime guitarist who just dabbles in synths I'm baffled how many synth players are into guitar pedals. I was taught about MIDI the old school way in a studio with a master keyboard, sequencing software, tons of cool Roland, Kurzweil and E-Mu modules, and of course some cool Lexicon and Eventide effects. Rack FX seemed to me the obvious "correct" choice for composing with keys; it was all there at the patchbay, anything you could dream up. Stuff like the PCM70 could read MIDI note on commands and use it to change the pitch of a resonant chord program, or use modwheel to lengthen reverb time. And guys wanted to use pedals instead?!

I do think you would be best served by learning about the various Lexicon, Eventide and TC rack fx over the years and figure out what's the most recent thing you can get without breaking the bank. Reports of "doorstops" and "unobtanium" are highly exaggerated; these are high-end, generally US made units and were built to last.
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear

These are guitar fx devices, they will focus on emulation of guitar tube amplification and distortion. Interestingly if you ask guitarists they prefer studio fx like strymon and eventide. Often the things designed for synth users.

Guitar multifx offer good value for money but they are geared towards handing a mono input source.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles ➡️
Ok this is a firehouse. I am learning a lot. Too many things To respond to individually.

The Axe Fx iii looks interesting. I have been researching Eventide stuff and what I want, a h8000w, is really expensive. I could buy that cirklon I was eyeing and just keep my helix.

It’s weird when I was young all my money went to effects for my bass. They were essential for crafting a sound of my own. Now it’s like a nice to have thing, funny how things change.
I used to spend a lot of time making my guitar sound like anything but a guitar. Then I found synthesizers (well, I always knew where they were... I just spent my money on guitars and effects...) and I had a big shift. Now I don’t often put more than some modulation, delay and reverb on my guitars. Synths...well, to me, they are basically effects around an oscillator section if you look at them like one would look at a guitar.

Anyway, check out the Red Means Recording demos of the Mod Duo X. It’s got a bunch of guitar amp and fuzz box type algorithms, but it’s a lot more neutral in the type of effects it provides, though I’ve used the guitar amp sims as distortion devices and they work really well on my Prophet 12. My only issues are that it lacks a good shimmer reverb and tape delay unless you buy an additional plugin for it, though it’s not very expensive at all. The shimmer is still not as good as Valhalla Shimmer, but pretty good and interesting. The Tape Delay is actually really interesting sounding and I can tell I’ll get a lot of use out of it. I think it sounds a bit better than Line6 effects, but the key to it is being able to modulate the sh!t out of anything. (I put Helix Native up for a test and I was unimpressed) I made a patch that had 2 different effect chains and a mixer that was being modulated by a very slow LFO to give me a very interesting evolving effect that you’d have a hard time getting from anything else. I used MIDI to modulate the LFO with a Touché and it goes up into audio range with no glitching for a very interesting effect.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall ➡️
It seems to me like loads of people are using pedals which is great. I use loads myself and having come from a guitar background they're very familiar to me. While the general form factor of pedals isn't bad they're designed to be used on the floor. Dreadbox may not have done a good enough job with the effects, but I think they had the right idea.

Tech21 make these multi effects called Fly Rigs that are like everything a guitar player would need to do a gig. I think it would be awesome if they did something similar for synths, but designed to sit on a desk with nice bypass buttons instead of foot switches.
I used to be the king of pedals. I’d lug around two massive pedal boards... it was... a pain in the ass. People would ask why, and I’d say that it was because there were too many types of things that I wanted and also that it was difficult to rearrange things on the fly. Back in the day, there really wasn’t a way to do things like run a parallel effect chain with pedals... maybe there is now. Ultimately, I abandoned pedals for rack devices by ART and Digitech. I couldn’t afford anything by Eventide back in the day, but man, I could have loved the hell out of an H3000.

What attracted me to the UAD interface paradigm is that the effects are very high quality and you can run multiple instances of things on different inputs. It saves a huge amount of spaghetti cabling and wall wart infestation.

Also, despite what a lot of people here say, plugin effects have gotten amazing. Not just digital types of things like the Blackhole reverb plugin, but things like Arturia’s Bi-Phase emulation are incredible to my ears. MXXX is basically a Mod Duo X in software.... but better. People will say this is blasphemy, but a string of U-He effects blew the Hypnosis out of the water on all levels but no knobs. I can get around that by running them inside Maschine, but that’s a level of abstraction and it means Maschine is kind of tied up as an effect processor.

I’m going to be re-evaluating things this year. Running out of CPU cycles is still a bit of an issue for me, but word on the street is that Apple silicon is a game changer. The ModDuo is good but I always feel it’s on the precipice of getting returned. Not because it’s bad in any way, but I’m not quite sure it’s worth having to do what I can already do in MXXX.
Old 6th February 2021
Gear Maniac

Poly Beebo and Empress Zoia are the other two that should be looked at side by side with the Mod Duo X. The Mod Dwarf kickstarter should be shipping soon, and I'm guessing retail availability will follow soon after, if you want the same power in a smaller, less-knobby box.
Old 7th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AXE FX III

There's really no comparison when it comes to utilizing guitar multi-effects as a synth or general instrument multi-effects unit by plugging into it or routing external audio through it. I have the Kemper Profiler Poweramp as well and they are mono input units and not suitable for other instruments. Boss GT-Pro and its subsequent ilk pale in comparison for this usage. No Helix experience.

Axe III is basically a fully functional 8x8 USB audio interface as well as a killer instrument preamp. Plenty of mono and ((( stereo ))) I/O, big and detailed colored screen and clean, well-designed UI and panel for easy navigation and sound-sculpting. It also has synth features like oscillators and LFOs. And, it comes with a full-featured s/w editor. Build quality is seriously TANK-like.

4.9 out of 5 stars (minus .1 for the onboard fan, which can be swapped out for an ultra-quiet Nocturna, which I've ordered but still need to install. My unit sits just to my left in my mix spot, so I need it to be very quiet and not adding noise to my left ear. It's not very loud and most people probably wouldn't even notice. I also put a piece of black electrical tape over the bright blue AXE FX III logo because it's also distracting with blue glare in that position.

Check it out... bottom left rack w/Orville on the right. What a mutt-effects pair! They're also going into the new CR.

Thank me later!
Attached Thumbnails
Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-fractal-audio-axe-fx-iii-guitar-amp-modeller_001.jpg   Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-fractal-audio-axe-fx-iii-guitar-amp-modeller_03-screen.jpg   Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-fr-cr-racks.jpg   Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-cr-control-room-digital-racks.jpg  
Old 7th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
AXE FX III

Check it out... bottom left rack w/Orville on the right. What a mutt-effects pair!
String6, outside of the amp sims, what does the Axe III do better than your Orville?

It seems to me that the Axe is generally better at analog emulations than Eventide and that in theory an Orville and an Axe III would complement each other nicely, but I'm speculating...

What do you think?

Thanks!

(I have an H8000FW)
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuboctahedron ➡️
Poly Beebo and Empress Zoia are the other two that should be looked at side by side with the Mod Duo X. The Mod Dwarf kickstarter should be shipping soon, and I'm guessing retail availability will follow soon after, if you want the same power in a smaller, less-knobby box.
I’d love to see someone do a shoot out between all of them. My initial thoughts based on demos was that the Zoia sounded the best of the three, but that interface... I’m not sure I’d take to it. If it were 1990, I definitely would put up with it, but in 2021, there’s absolutely no excuse to not have an editor. Then I saw a demo where someone just went through all the Zola’s effects in isolation and it was not that impressive, definitely not as good sounding as their stand alone pedals. Stands to reason, of course. The best thing would be to buy a specialized pedal for each effect.

I’ve actually spent a bunch of time with the ModDevices effects, and my opinion about them has gotten a lot better. I no longer think they’re inferior to the Zoia. I’d say they’re on par, with both being a bit better than the Line6. I think the Beebo is in that range too. I don’t think you’re really going to get better until you go for an expensive rack effect or separate single effect at a time processors.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up ➡️
String6, outside of the amp sims, what does the Axe III do better than your Orville?

It seems to me that the Axe is generally better at analog emulations than Eventide and that in theory an Orville and an Axe III would complement each other nicely, but I'm speculating...

What do you think?

Thanks!

(I have an H8000FW)
I am curious too. I’ve been impressed with the AxeFx for guitar but I’ve never heard one on a synthesizer. It’s strange, I have a Kemper but I’ve not once put it on a synth. I should try it one day.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust_tree ➡️

As a longtime guitarist who just dabbles in synths I'm baffled how many synth players are into guitar pedals. I was taught about MIDI the old school way in a studio with a master keyboard, sequencing software, tons of cool Roland, Kurzweil and E-Mu modules, and of course some cool Lexicon and Eventide effects. Rack FX seemed to me the obvious "correct" choice for composing with keys; it was all there at the patchbay, anything you could dream up. Stuff like the PCM70 could read MIDI note on commands and use it to change the pitch of a resonant chord program, or use modwheel to lengthen reverb time. And guys wanted to use pedals instead?!
Ha, there is definitely some truth to that.

For what it's worth, I use them both. For me, pedals are more fun, it's as simple as that. If I had a real tape delay, something that's currently on my list, I would use that all the time for the same reason - it's fun and easy to dial in - not because it isn't a rack effects unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locust_tree ➡️
I do think you would be best served by learning about the various Lexicon, Eventide and TC rack fx over the years and figure out what's the most recent thing you can get without breaking the bank. Reports of "doorstops" and "unobtanium" are highly exaggerated; these are high-end, generally US made units and were built to last.
There's some nuance in here.

- Eventides are very reliable and have very good support
- Lexicons are extremely reliable but have poor support from Harman (now Samsung. Almost no one will service their vintage (~ pre-1990) effects
- TCs are pretty reliable, but worth flagging the known fault in their power supplies in gear made from the late 90s into the early 00s (my M3000 and Fireworx, now long gone, each suffered from it and TC gave me the runaround)
Old 7th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You could consider building a row of eurorack effects modules (84HP would fit in 3U 19" rack). The Synthtech E520 came out recently and has a lot of interesting and unusual FX algorithms..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up ➡️

What do you think?

Thanks!

(I have an H8000FW)
I think complementary is the word. Better or worse is very subjective and application specific. They both have the basics covered very well, but Eventides are deep beasts and even have their own programming language (VSig).

Check out the Axe's block list (FX algos). It's extensive and they are all very good / musical to my ears, although I've had it under a year now and still have so much to explore. Important note, when I play guitar, it feeds a pair of tube-filled Bogner Goldfinger 45's (voiced slightly differently), and not "direct", using its onboard cab sims. Same for the Kemper, etc. I always mic up my guitar amps/cabs.

So, a caveat, that this isn't a recommendation for that type of usage, as I didn't really like it (or any other similar product) as a guitar cab sim emu when played through my monitors. But, as a front-end pre-amp (and power amp) with all manner of uber-high quality emulated guitar amps and FX to chose from, it is absolutely killer and best in class, imo. Others probably get into direct recording more than me. I like to push some air into a mic.

Of course, I record synths without sending them through amps and recording them through mics, but I need to explore that world when we finish the Live Room. Nothing like a Hammond (even the new digital clonewheel XK-5) doppler-growling with ear-tingling harmonics through its tube preamps and a rotating Leslie's tubes, horns and high wattage sub filling a room with great vibes. No cab sim or direct recording can really touch that.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
I think complementary is the word. Better or worse is very subjective and application specific. They both have the basics covered very well, but Eventides are deep beasts and even have their own programming language (VSig).

Check out the Axe's block list (FX algos). It's extensive and they are all very good / musical to my ears, although I've had it under a year now and still have so much to explore. Important note, when I play guitar, it feeds a pair of tube-filled Bogner Goldfinger 45's (voiced slightly differently), and not "direct", using its onboard cab sims. Same for the Kemper, etc. I always mic up my guitar amps/cabs.

So, a caveat, that this isn't a recommendation for that type of usage, as I didn't really like it (or any other similar product) as a guitar cab sim emu when played through my monitors. But, as a front-end pre-amp (and power amp) with all manner of uber-high quality emulated guitar amps and FX to chose from, it is absolutely killer and best in class, imo. Others probably get into direct recording more than me. I like to push some air into a mic.

Of course, I record synths without sending them through amps and recording them through mics, but I need to explore that world when we finish the Live Room. Nothing like a Hammond (even the new digital clonewheel XK-5) doppler-growling with ear-tingling harmonics through its tube preamps and a rotating Leslie's tubes, horns and high wattage sub filling a room with great vibes. No cab sim or direct recording can really touch that.
Will definitely check it out
Old 7th February 2021
Gear Addict

The Helix effects are awesome and offer the best bang for the buck.
Old 7th February 2021
Lives for gear

Check out Electrix products which are built like a tank and will work fine for the next thousand years or so:

Mo-FX
FilterFactory
WarpFactory

Then there's the old Ensoniq DP/4 and DP/2.

If that doesn't do it for you, I suggest what many others have said before: try guitar pedals. Chain them together and you'll get cool sounds.

Last edited by kraku; 7th February 2021 at 06:28 PM..
Old 7th February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a TC plethora x5 for my guitar fly board. Sounds very nice -though no distortion/OD.
It has no problems taking line signals and is able to hold 5 effects at a time.
📝 Reply