The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line 6 helix alternatives for synths
Old 7th February 2021 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Addict
 
prismtheory's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the eventide H9 max is pretty fun to use with synths as long as you don't slam the input too hard.
Old 7th February 2021
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Helix is good for sure ... but I now use mine mainly with a Variax guitar. Fractal FX-III is brilliant... to my ears much clearer and cleaner Fx sounds with far more control and variation. And the routing of multiple i/o's and Fx in serial/parallel configurations is really powerful. Don't have strong feelings about the amps and cabs ... I can find good sounds from each ... how "accurate" and "authentic" I don't know or care really. But they are strong options for "warming-up" crystal sharp FM synth tones for instance.
But agree, the Fractal is more complimentary than alternative to an Eventide rack ... both is a luxury ...
Old 7th February 2021 | Show parent
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
Yeah, I looked hard at the Zoia, but the UI would just drive me nuts.

The Mod Dwarf will have a front-panel editor, which I think will get ported to the X as well, and they're also looking at adding support for USB audio interface for more I/O, because they have the CPU to run more than one effects chain. That said, I'm planning on just using the real editor and tweaking it via midi with my Electra One. I do hope they get USB ethernet dongles working and support for being added to a real network soon, to make working with the editor from a tablet/working with more than one easier.

I like the selection of stuff in the Beebo a lot, and in some ways it's kind of nice to have a diverse but curated playground — the open nature of the Mod is a blessing and a curse.
Old 7th February 2021
  #34
Lives for gear
 
MOD Duo X has lots of potential... just trying the odd pedal on its own, it sounds fine, but nothing special .... but start stacking and chaining multiple blocks, four reverbs as two pairs in parallel perhaps... and you start getting amazing things ...
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michailov ➡️
I bought a TC plethora x5 for my guitar fly board. Sounds very nice -though no distortion/OD.
It has no problems taking line signals and is able to hold 5 effects at a time.
How’s the performance control button thing on it? I really wanted to try that and I still may get one for my guitar rig.
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
orcoaffamato's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
To add some FX to my synths I just use my old iPad Mini 2 with a dedicated Focusrite Scarlett 8i6.

The audio signal route is this:

Synths -> patchbay -> Scarlett 8i6 -> iPad with AUM + FX Apps -> Scarlett 8i6 -> Ferrofish Pulse 16 -> RME Digiface USB -> PC
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
MODX has lots of potential... just trying the odd pedal on its own, it sounds fine, but nothing special .... but start stacking and chaining multiple blocks, four reverbs as two pairs in parallel perhaps... and you start getting amazing things ...
Plus there are synths that run on it as well. TAL Noisemaker. I’m hoping TAL ports his Juno Chorus and other effects too, they’re good. I don’t know how many of these are in the wild but if a handful of big developers start making effects for them it could be great.
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato ➡️
To add some FX to my synths I just use my old iPad Mini 2 with a dedicated Focusrite Scarlett 8i6.

The audio signal route is this:

Synths -> patchbay -> Scarlett 8i6 -> iPad with AUM + FX Apps -> Scarlett 8i6 -> Ferrofish Pulse 16 -> RME Digiface USB -> PC
Which FX apps do you use?
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
orcoaffamato's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco ➡️
Which FX apps do you use?
Fred Anton Corvest: Alteza - Chorus - Maxima

Audio Damage: Discord4 - Dubstation2 - Eos 2 - Grind - Panstation2 - Phasethree - Quatromod - Roughrider3

Sugar Bites: Turnado

Noiise: FluxFX
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
  #40
Deleted d4b4379
Guest
Im going to jump in the Axe-FX recommendations.

Im a guitarist first and foremost and have used Fractal gear exclusively since 2008. first an old standard, then an AFX2 - which I still have. I want the 3, but my synths have kind of took over my investments money.

The Axe-FX story is a great one if you investigate. Cliff (designer) is an Ex navy sonar engineer. He is also a guitar player (a very good one). He used to run a mesa Mk 4 rig with an Eventide for FX (not sure if it was the eclipse or the H). However he was constantly frustrated by how hard the eventide was to program.

so - he set out to design (for him self first and foremost) an FX unit, that was the same quality sounds as the eventide but with ease of programmability, and ultra flexible routing. His intention at the outset was never as an amp modeller - and in fact the amp sims added were as an afterthought to start with, his prime focus were the effects.

Now - its actually the amp sims that got the first Fractal units noticed and the main reason they have taken off. Its certainly true that the development since the first unit has been down the amp sim route HOWEVER, the FX have also had continual upgrades and additions - and despite its main focus now, his original idea is in evidence with any Fractal unit. The effects are world class as is the routing.

IMO, currently the ONLY FX units that rival Eventides are Fractal units - and theres a good argument that they superseded them in routing and definitely in easy of programmability.

As a primarily live player, not wanting to take a rack out live (and as all the synths I have do have built in Effects, at least reverb chorus and delay) - I havent actually put my synths through the Fractal (no idea why really). I have used them on bass as well as guitar, and Ive used them on vocals and on a mastering track - just never purely on my synths. Maybe I should at least try that (If I can be bothered re-routing the cabling).

Id also say its highly likely a used AFX2 would do you. The FX quality did go up quite a bit through the AFX2s live (from the standard/ultra it left off from) however, the 3 is primarily about "more" (more instances) rather than "better" when it comes to FX. There were some upgrades (particularly to reverb) and some additions - BUT the move to 3 was firstly due to the sharc chip in the 1 and 2 going EOL (the 3 uses different ones) - to improve the cab sims and amp sims (that use a lot of processing) as well as increasing the number of blocks. You'd need to think about the maximum FX chain (or routings) you may need BUT without using amp sims and cab sims, theres a lot of power in the AFX2, and the FX in that are still world class.
Old 9th February 2021
  #41
Lives for gear
 
FX-III & H9000 ... add the most basic monosynth or a single string ... B)
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 ➡️
Im going to jump in the Axe-FX recommendations.

Im a guitarist first and foremost and have used Fractal gear exclusively since 2008. first an old standard, then an AFX2 - which I still have. I want the 3, but my synths have kind of took over my investments money.

The Axe-FX story is a great one if you investigate. Cliff (designer) is an Ex navy sonar engineer. He is also a guitar player (a very good one). He used to run a mesa Mk 4 rig with an Eventide for FX (not sure if it was the eclipse or the H). However he was constantly frustrated by how hard the eventide was to program.

so - he set out to design (for him self first and foremost) an FX unit, that was the same quality sounds as the eventide but with ease of programmability, and ultra flexible routing. His intention at the outset was never as an amp modeller - and in fact the amp sims added were as an afterthought to start with, his prime focus were the effects.

Now - its actually the amp sims that got the first Fractal units noticed and the main reason they have taken off. Its certainly true that the development since the first unit has been down the amp sim route HOWEVER, the FX have also had continual upgrades and additions - and despite its main focus now, his original idea is in evidence with any Fractal unit. The effects are world class as is the routing.

IMO, currently the ONLY FX units that rival Eventides are Fractal units - and theres a good argument that they superseded them in routing and definitely in easy of programmability.

As a primarily live player, not wanting to take a rack out live (and as all the synths I have do have built in Effects, at least reverb chorus and delay) - I havent actually put my synths through the Fractal (no idea why really). I have used them on bass as well as guitar, and Ive used them on vocals and on a mastering track - just never purely on my synths. Maybe I should at least try that (If I can be bothered re-routing the cabling).

Id also say its highly likely a used AFX2 would do you. The FX quality did go up quite a bit through the AFX2s live (from the standard/ultra it left off from) however, the 3 is primarily about "more" (more instances) rather than "better" when it comes to FX. There were some upgrades (particularly to reverb) and some additions - BUT the move to 3 was firstly due to the sharc chip in the 1 and 2 going EOL (the 3 uses different ones) - to improve the cab sims and amp sims (that use a lot of processing) as well as increasing the number of blocks. You'd need to think about the maximum FX chain (or routings) you may need BUT without using amp sims and cab sims, theres a lot of power in the AFX2, and the FX in that are still world class.

Interesting background, thanks for relating it. I wasn't aware the AXE started out as an effect rig for guitarists to rival Eventide, but it makes a lot of sense as I see and hear that purposefulness in the design and sonics.

I had two custom, ergo pedalboard-wall units made (that have space for 5 separate stomp fx chains, including one for bass and one for synths) to sit beside me in two different control rooms. I designed them to have space at the bottom for a 2-RU FX processor with 1/2 space ventilation. Of course, the Axe FX III is 3-RU, so 1/2 space too high, and therefore doesn't fit, doh! After all that advanced planning!

Previously, ALL gtr rack FX processors were 2-RU! The new Axe and Kemper racks are both 3-RU. So, I've had to shift the Axe to my main API mixer rack (which is a prime spot and makes it even easier to interact with) and put the Lex PCM-42 and PCM-81 in the bottom of the gtr pedal rig. So, all's well that ends well! :D

But, just aheads up for anyone getting one, the Axe FX III is HUGE!
Attached Thumbnails
Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-fr-staging-area_custum-pedalboard-wall-racks.jpg   Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-guitar-bass-pedalboard-wall.jpg   Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-fr-cr-racks.jpg   Line 6 helix alternatives for synths-cr-control-room-digital-racks.jpg  
Old 10th February 2021
  #43
Lives for gear
 
HUGE! Sound AND potential!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 21337
Avatar for Motor For Music
Motor For Music 16th July 2015
replies: 190 views: 38444
Avatar for m127f
m127f 28th February 2017
replies: 57 views: 6172
Avatar for deng
deng 5th November 2016
replies: 55 views: 3984
Avatar for zerocrossing
zerocrossing 31st January 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump