Korg Modwave - Page 46 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Modwave
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkozyra ➡️
Damnit I got GASsed.

Current live setup is MPC Live + 61 key controller + Hydra desktop and I'm looking to slim it down so now the modwave will be the primary and hydra the secondary and I'll have less space to consume.

At least that's how I'm justifying it.
As long as you are okay with 37 keys and no aftertouch. In an ideal world Korg would have a modwave module. You could then sell your Hydra desktop and get one of their versions with keys and have the added benefit of both channel and polyphonic aftertouch.

The keybed on the modwave is just okay. I use the keyboard for sound design as it’s nice to just focus on the modwave while exploring. When I’m actually playing I’m using it from one of my 5 octave keyboards with aftertouch. Soon the Hydrasynth Deluxe will be my master controller for the modwave.

Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM ➡️
I'd love checking out the modwave but as my music taste is exactly the album I feel for you with Chaka Khan from 1985, I'm sad no modern synths sound as fat and beautiful as on that album. Instead we have to wade through millions of useless sounds. Good sounds obviously, but useless if we want the original Chaka, MJ, Scritti, Abba and maybe Jarre sounds. That's why I have been making soundbanks instead of music...
Having lived through 1985 when I was 16, I understand what you mean about the sound. However, you must remember that synths from back then often had analog filters, which I think in large part accounts for the sound. On the other hand, the most popular synth back then, the Yamaha DX7, was almost entirely digital and had no filters whatsoever, analog or digital. Anything that went into the studio gets massaged with analog preamps, compression, EQ, gain-staging, mastering, etc. and THAT can also impart a large effect on the sound. Although I love hardware synths from that era, I also believe that many of today's synths, both digital and analog, could achieve a beautiful and full sound as well in a well-equipped studio.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfstudios ➡️
Having lived through 1985 when I was 16, I understand what you mean about the sound. However, you must remember that synths from back then often had analog filters, which I think in large part accounts for the sound. On the other hand, the most popular synth back then, the Yamaha DX7, was almost entirely digital and had no filters whatsoever, analog or digital. Anything that went into the studio gets massaged with analog preamps, compression, EQ, gain-staging, mastering, etc. and THAT can also impart a large effect on the sound. Although I love hardware synths from that era, I also believe that many of today's synths, both digital and analog, could achieve a beautiful and full sound as well in a well-equipped studio.
People now simply ignore that all of the music they refer to as "that analogue magic from back then" they heard at best through recordings made using pressed vinyl masters or early CDs, and engineered by mastering engineer professionals, after having been recorded and thoroughly processed and mixed by studio mixing and sound editing professionals, all of whom had their own techniques and sonic preferences, which resulted in very different recordings of different instruments no two of which were really alike, played by different musicians with different synthesis skills.

What is expected now is for all that expertise to be pre-cooked and packaged in a box of software that produces results which average out a poorly-understood but agreed upon consensus of "good" sound, mostly concocted by mass-market radio stations for mass consumption primarily on cheesy car stereos.

Which is called: "analogue warmth."
Lives for gear

I'm actually seriously wondering why nothing sounds as on those albums. Playful really awesome bass and strings, polysynths that cut through and 808s that actually (is) sounds 808

Korg; do a demo covering This Is My Night please!
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm actually seriously wondering why nothing sounds as on those albums. Playful really awesome bass and strings, polysynths that cut through and 808s that actually (is) sounds 808

Sometimes you need the actual, original device to get the sound you are looking for, sometimes you need the player. Sometimes you need both. Some of that original gear has a particular sound, probably why I have kept my first real synth, an Ensoniq SQ-80 all these years and still have it, in working order. On the other hand, there is a ton of great modern gear with so much flexibility and onboard sounds--as well as effects. I used to have to add reverb to my SQ-80 with an outboard Midiverb or other device. It had none built in. But some is the sound of the studios and the talent and techniques of the producers and engineers of the time. No DAW or software is going to replicate that without a lot of work and knowledge.
Gear Head

I've uploaded a new video where i share some thoughts of how i approached the programming of a couple of my own ambient pad sounds on the modwave.

If you are only interested in the pad demo sounds then just follow the chapters below to hear the final pad sounds i created.

00:00 Introduction (init performance)
02:10 QR Afterglow Piano Pad
06:23 QR Qui Robinez Vocal Pad
07:45 QR Sine Phase Organ
09:17 QR Stairs to Heaven
10:32 QR Melodic House Pad
11:45 QR Dune Arrival Pad
14:07 QR Sea Creatures Choir
15:49 QR Angels Choir

Quote:
I'd love checking out the modwave but as my music taste is exactly the album I feel for you with Chaka Khan from 1985, I'm sad no modern synths sound as fat and beautiful as on that album. Instead we have to wade through millions of useless sounds. Good sounds obviously, but useless if we want the original Chaka, MJ, Scritti, Abba and maybe Jarre sounds. That's why I have been making soundbanks instead of music...
i agree a lot with the reply of realtrance on this, a lot of that sound is done by the engineers in that era. The sound spectrum was also quite different in the 80's (a much dryer, more punchy sound) then nowadays.

When you release those dry one oscillator sounds (like the Chaka Kahn sounds) nowadays then most people won't like them. The sounds people expect has changed a lot in the last 40 years.

But i do love that 80 sound too, but for that i use two plugins, the OB XA-V which is absolutely fantastic for that Chaka Kahn and Prince sound and the SQ 80V which also brings you instantly back to that 80 sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi, I've updated modwaveEdit to support zoom factors for the waveform and harmonics editors:
Get it here!

This version should be stable and reliable, but marking it beta until I've gotten some feedback. Enjoy!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I Feel For you featured the large Yamaha DX synth, the rare one. I forget the model.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Man this thing sounds

so good
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
I Feel For you featured the large Yamaha DX synth, the rare one. I forget the model.
DX5?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
DX5?
Possibly, there was an interview online years ago I read where they spoke of the gear used and a large DX Model with keys was pictured and spoke of.

Was their ever a DX1 too? If not it'll probably be DX5.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
DX5?
@ bitleyTM too, found the article...

Reggie Griffin played the bass line into an ”Oberheim DSX sequencer which was hooked up to a Minimoog via CV and gate: pre-MIDI“

He had to play it correctly at least all the way through each section. He would then chain the sections together in “Song Mode” on the DSX and it as recorded on a 24-track tape using a sync tone on the tape. “As I remember, it had to stay in sync from beginning to end: There was no punching in.”

After the bass line they did the synth chords, which doubled a chord sound that was already there in the verses. ”I had just gotten a Yamaha DX1 [their flagship FM synth at the time] imported from Japan and everyone was excited to hear it recorded. It turned out to be not too much more than two DX7s in one box with a weighted keyboard–though that was rare at that time.”

They used this to make the chordal decaying pad sounds on throughout the song. They had elements of DX7-style piano and string/vocal pad elements.

He did a fast, single-note, clarinet sounding synth part under the rap in the middle of the song, and the bells on the breakdown.

”Arif asked me to do something crazy in that section so I used the DX1 in programming edit mode and moved the various FM modulating sine waves around.

Frequency Modulation synthesis on the Yamaha DX instruments worked via a fundamental tone (sine wave) modulated by other sine waves, so I tweaked the modulating waves while playing some notes on the keyboard.”

Those are the sound affects you hear, and it was all recorded live to tape.

I was in the studio another day and watched Arif editing half-inch tape and flying in the “tape scratching” sound affects you can hear on the breakdown. He worked on perfecting that for many hours. Arif Mardin was a brilliant musician and producer. He and Reggie Griffin made a huge forever hit out of a good basic song.

Studio

Mel did his rap at Sugarhill Studios in Houston, Texas.

The repetition of Chaka Khan at the beginning of the song was a mistake made by the producer who decided to keep it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Couldn't resist... Was going to ask for an offer including the Modwave at 800 EUR and other stuff at Thomann (EU) then saw it for 679 EUR, so quickly put it in my basket and ordered.
Interesting to see that they are selling B stock at 729...
Black Friday one day only offer? Mistake?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodweather ➡️
Couldn't resist... Was going to ask for an offer including the Modwave at 800 EUR and other stuff at Thomann (EU) then saw it for 679 EUR, so quickly put it in my basket and ordered.
That's a great price. Congratulations on your purchase!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh wow thanks for the tip!
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think you'll love it. I'm still liking mine. Has a different sound than Wavestate, a little fuller and in your face.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't get Korg's mindset of not making alternative desktop/rack modules, I ended up buying Hydrasynth(to rack) and not Modwave because of space. I feel they are loosing potential sales.
Gear Addict

Quote:
I can't get Korg's mindset of not making alternative desktop/rack modules, I ended up buying Hydrasynth(to rack) and not Modwave because of space. I feel they are loosing potential sales.
They don't sell as well, nor are they as immediate. People are complaining about the light keyboard on these synths and have to connect to a better one, but you have no choice but to connect to an external keyboard with a module. Certainly not ideal for live playing, although I can understand the appeal for studio or bedroom setups.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Their decision makes no makes no sense to me, either.

I cannot buy one as I have no space for it, even though I love the sounds.

I purchased a Blofeld instead of the Modwave [and I've got a Waldorf M on preorder which I'd have purchased in any case].

Quote:
They don't sell as well, nor are they as immediate.
Absolutely true they don't sell as well, but it's still profit they are wantonly throwing away.
There was a quote somewhere that said modules only represent X% of sales... Was it 20%?
They seem to be assuming that all those customers will just suck it up and buy the keyboard version, but I don't think that's true.
Even if they only got and extra 10% of sales, that's 10% of what's surely a huge pie - serious money.

What would it take to achieve it? I imagine a couple of people working a day or so to design the specs of the new case? It's not rocket science as many random users have been forced to DIY this process with recent Korg synths like the Minilogue.
... And *especially* when Korg now has 3x synths in this format (OP6 / Wavestate / Modwave).

Quote:
People are complaining about the light keyboard on these synths and have to connect to a better one, but you have no choice but to connect to an external keyboard with a module. Certainly not ideal for live playing, although I can understand the appeal for studio or bedroom setups.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was a decent keyboard... But when it's even useless to half of the users who actually desire a keyboard, it seems a bit daft.

I think this logic would make sense for an entry level device like the MicroKorg, but when it's an almost €1k professional synth, it's frustrating they glued a big toy keyboard to it.
I feel like if they were going to make only one version, then only the module would have been better - they could have knocked a big chunk off the retail price - making it far more accessible and competitive - and anyone who wants a keyboard an buy the quality of their choice and just plug in.

I can see it's a tough decision though - Korg must find it impossible to know exactly how much business they are actually losing and therefore cannot have the accurate facts on which to base their decisions on. They are left to stab in the dark.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are defo great synths, just I think the ASM approach is better from Regular, Deluxe, Explorer to desktop, a model, size, cost to suit the individual. Not just like it or lump it, because alot might like the synth engine/UI but not the form factor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They are defo great synths, just I think the ASM approach is better from Regular, Deluxe, Explorer to desktop, a model, size, cost to suit the individual. Not just like it or lump it, because alot might like the synth engine/UI but not the form factor.
Exactly. Unfortunately I'm the opposite way around with ASM; I like the form factor, but I'm not moved by the synth engine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➡️
Exactly. Unfortunately I'm the opposite way around with ASM; I like the form factor, but I'm not moved by the synth engine.
I like it, then I don't, that concerns me about it long-term. I bought the little Tooro around the same time looking for a Wavetable but it was a Kickstarter, that little thing floored me soundwise, it sounds far bigger than its size.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I like it, then I don't, that concerns me about it long-term. I bought the little Tooro around the same time looking for a Wavetable but it was a Kickstarter, that little thing floored me soundwise, it sounds far bigger than its size.
I voraciously consumed all the Hydra demos I could find. Nothing struck me as special, nor any better than a soft synth. If you can point me to examples which might sway me, I'd be extremely happy to have my mind changed.

I never heard of Tooro. Will search for that now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I voraciously consumed all the Hydra demos I could find. Nothing struck me as special, nor any better than a soft synth. If you can point me to examples which might sway me, I'd be extremely happy to have my mind changed.

I never heard of Tooro. Will search for that now.
Check out Espan Craft Tooro on YouTube.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Will do. Just heard demos on their home site. Sounds great.
What's the price though? I don't see that anywhere.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh... It's €499.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Will do. Just heard demos on their home site. Sounds great.
What's the price though? I don't see that anywhere.
Not sure of current price, I bought in during its Kickstarter, then waited for it to be made, been very impressed start to finish, it's Teeny tho, in a good way, Placed right next to my main controller.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ahh... It's €499.
Ouch, higher than I paid...

At £200 it would be no brainer. £300 fairish, but higher than that, like £400 seems steep for its size, but it does sound lush, warm, cuts through.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Espen Kraft
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Compared with a Buchla keyboard, the Modwave's is luxurious! All depends on perspective. I don't try to play Chopin's Ballades or Rachmaninoff piano concertos on it.
📝 Reply