Kurzweil K2700

Discuss!
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear
Cancel my pcr-7 pre-order and sell my k2600rs
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m dying to get some specs here. But it’s clearly bringing the K2xx series back to life. Full featured sampling input interface. Full onboard ribbon controller built in. Metal enclosure. Wood cheeks. Sweet sexy design imho.
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I... wannit I wannit I wannit.

I was lucky enough to spend quality time on an expanded K2000, then a K2VX, then a... 2600? It's hard to remember which one it was. Then a PC3, and I've always loved the way a VAST patch can go between sweet and smooth to quite raspy. I was afraid that Kurz/Chang was never going to hearken back to its 2xxx roots, and keep wedgie-ing VAST in on their performance rompler keyboards. Well, here we go.

I'm looking forward to how they've taken VAST to a new level, how the effects are ramped up, and the sampling capability. And that big ribbon, the first K2xxx feature I looked for. If they're really feeling generous, they will squeeze a VA1 synth in there too, with virtual oscillators and filters. Anyone remember that?
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Great to see the K2 series back!
Makes me think, Roland brought back the Fantom, Kurz is bringing back the K2s, now all we need is for Korg to bring back the Triton!
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
I... wannit I wannit I wannit.

I was lucky enough to spend quality time on an expanded K2000, then a K2VX, then a... 2600? It's hard to remember which one it was. Then a PC3, and I've always loved the way a VAST patch can go between sweet and smooth to quite raspy. I was afraid that Kurz/Chang was never going to hearken back to its 2xxx roots, and keep wedgie-ing VAST in on their performance rompler keyboards. Well, here we go.

I'm looking forward to how they've taken VAST to a new level, how the effects are ramped up, and the sampling capability. And that big ribbon, the first K2xxx feature I looked for. If they're really feeling generous, they will squeeze in a VA1 synth in there too, with virtual oscillators and filters. Anyone remember that?
Oh ya! Remember well!

My big “fear” here is that the operating system in this is only marginally upgraded rather than overhauled. The same screen layout of the PC4 makes me think it might be pretty much the same...other than beefing up the polyphony and user flash capacity and effects chains. And of course bring back the sample waveform editor (which was in the PC3). @ EvilDragon has often spoken about how difficult it would be for Kurz to overhaul the VAST engine and other components.

But that’s just me being cautious. I’m hoping for a home run here. The year of the keyboard sampler!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingpianist ➡️
Great to see the K2 series back!
Makes me think, Roland brought back the Fantom, Kurz is bringing back the K2s, now all we need is for Korg to bring back the Triton!
And Korg is WAY overdue for a flagship refresh. Kronos 10 years deep!
Old 16th January 2021
Dave Weiser has confirmed on Facebook that it is real. Excited to see what improvements over the PC4 and Forte there are, aside from the obvious audio connections, sampler, and ribbon.

Sadly the pitch/mod placement means I wouldn't be able to keep both hands on the keybed while sweeping cutoff with the mod wheel with the pinky any more. Useful trick but it only works if the wheels are to the left of the keys.
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This is exciting news! If you google it, there is a link to Kurzweil but it says it is password protected.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➡️
I’m dying to get some specs here. But it’s clearly bringing the K2xx series back to life. Full featured sampling input interface. Full onboard ribbon controller built in. Metal enclosure. Wood cheeks. Sweet sexy design imho.
And as part of the K2xx series, should come with a Fatar keybed, right? or Medeli?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manpaz ➡️
And as part of the K2xx series, should come with a Fatar keybed, right? or Medeli?
My PC4 Medeli is quite nice. But I’d take a hammer action Fatar! Or how about poly after touch from Medeli (Hydra synth). That would be interesting.
Old 16th January 2021
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Maniac

Is this Korg Kronos killer ?
I would say so, it's not only the year of workstations, but the year of dethroning Korg Kronos.
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m hoping it’s the year if the keyboard sampler. Roland did great stuff w the V2 Fantom OS. Nordwave 2 is cool. PC4 is deep, but not a full featured sampler. Prophet X honorable mention. The thing here in all of the above is *fast flash memory*. That’s what separates the best vintage samplers from the modern pack. It’s all about fast sample storage. Instant recall. Now if we could just add on the features (sound design) of yore l, alongside this new fast flash...we’d have a truly new generation. Kurzweil with VAST is uniquely suited for this. Especially with the K2xx heritage.

Yamaha Montage should get mentioned here too for its flash ram. But its sample editing is boring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodbrute ➡️
Is this Korg Kronos killer ?
I would say so, it's not only the year of workstations, but the year of dethroning Korg Kronos.
I’m not sure anything can be a Kronos killer without VA, physical modeling, and set list mode. And totally seamless transitions. Not sure which, if any of those the K2700 will have.
Old 16th January 2021
Here for the gear

I'm dying for the moment Kurzweil can truly replicate the seamless patch transitions of a Kronos, across all its modes and engines, without detailed programming. Then a true Kronos-killer will have arisen!
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ho-ly f%£!
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Could there be any wild cards in, like analog filters ? That would be a very 90s, Akai-type appeal, so I'm guessing not. Kurzweil's selling point is very much '90s digital - I still use my Kurzweil K2000 almost every week.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Motif Max ➡️
I’m not sure anything can be a Kronos killer without VA, physical modeling, and set list mode. And totally seamless transitions. Not sure which, if any of those the K2700 will have.
You are probably right.
We will have to wait for full specs to be revealed.
I’ve bought Korg Kronos for it’s sampling and audio recording capabilities, the rest features were always secondary to me.
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Wow, I see pigs are definitely flying outside!

That said, if they still have slow 50 Hz refreshed modulation, FFS.
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

So the speculation in the several years long thread about a coming K3000 was completely off, it’s a K2700! :-)
Old 16th January 2021
Deleted cda76ca
THE K SERIES IS BACK!
THE K SERIES IS BACK!
THE K SERIES IS BACK!
THE K SERIES IS BACK...
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Wow, I see pigs are definitely flying outside!
Next they’ll be telling us that KSS is back up and bustling with millions of posts
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Hahah.

Anyways, stuff I'd be disappointed if they aren't in the specs: Live mode, sample skipping parameter, ENVCTL for all 3 envelopes, faster modulation processing (a.k.a. LFOs that aren't aliasing past 8 Hz), new DSP blocks (cleaner/less aliasing non-linear processing, say). That'd be a start!
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Nut
I see a Song Mode...
Old 16th January 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
• FlashPlay technology utilizing 4.5GB of instrument Samples including:
• Optimized Unlooped German D and Japanese C7 Pianos, Triple Strike Piano, Classic Tine (73
& 77) and Reed Electric Pianos, Clavinets, Harpsichords, Celeste, Bells, Glockenspiel, Chimes,
Bowed and Hit Crotales, Vector Synthesis Waveforms
• Updated Rock, Synth and Orchestral sounds from Kurzweil’s SP6, PC3/4, and KORE64
• 13 Categories of Programs (Piano, E. Piano, Clav, Organ, Strings, Pad, Synth, Brass/Wind,
Ensemble, Hybrid, Guitar/Bass, Drum/Perc, Misc)
• 3.5GB of user Sample memory for loading audio Samples from WAV, AIF, and Kurzweil files
• KB3 ToneReal TM organ simulations with 9 sliders as drawbars
• FM: Classic 6 operator FM synthesis
• KSR: Kurzweil String Resonance (piano string resonance simulation)
• Half-Damper pedal support (for piano “half pedaling” sustain techniques)
• Kurzweil’s highly acclaimed VAST Synthesis and FX engine
• More than 1500 Factory Programs divided into 13 Categories
• More than 700 Factory Multis
• More than 4000 User IDs to save your own Programs and Multis
• Audio input jacks with FX (stereo pair accepting line/instrument/mic from 1/4” & XLR cables)
• Audio over USB (stereo in/out)
• 256 voices of polyphony
• 16 Zone MIDI controller in Multi Mode for Splits and Layers
• 16 MIDI Tracks in Song Mode
• Arpeggiator with dedicated front panel controls (up to 16 simultaneous in Multi Mode)
• CC Sequencer with dedicated front panel control (up to 16 simultaneous in Multi Mode)
• 9 assignable sliders
• 9 assignable knobs
• 10 assignable buttons
• 16 assignable velocity sensitive pads
• Pitch Wheel and assignable Modulation Wheel
• Tap tempo button and tempo knob
• 2 Transpose buttons
• Monopressure (Aftertouch)
• Assignable ribbon controller
• 2 assignable switch pedal jacks (supports up to 4 switch pedals with 2 pedals per jack)
• 2 assignable CC pedal jacks
Fatar TP/40L with pressure. 88-key, fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity and pressure (After Touch) sensitive adjustable keys.
480 x 272 pixel high resolution color LCD with adjustable brightness 256 voice polyphony, dynamically allocated
16 parts (one per MIDI channel)
5.5” (13.97 cm)
15.5” (39.37 cm)
51” (129.54 cm)
52 lb (23.58 kg) Internal power supply

So, basically a merge of Forte and PC4 with half as much flash ROM... So far not impressed.
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want the K3000, not the K2700. That's just 100 more than the K2600 I already have.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessmeans ➡️
I see a Song Mode...

Sure, it comes with SingStar 2021.
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
• FlashPlay technology utilizing 4.5GB of instrument Samples including:
• Optimized Unlooped German D and Japanese C7 Pianos, Triple Strike Piano, Classic Tine (73
& 77) and Reed Electric Pianos, Clavinets, Harpsichords, Celeste, Bells, Glockenspiel, Chimes,
Bowed and Hit Crotales, Vector Synthesis Waveforms
• Updated Rock, Synth and Orchestral sounds from Kurzweil’s SP6, PC3/4, and KORE64
• 13 Categories of Programs (Piano, E. Piano, Clav, Organ, Strings, Pad, Synth, Brass/Wind,
Ensemble, Hybrid, Guitar/Bass, Drum/Perc, Misc)
• 3.5GB of user Sample memory for loading audio Samples from WAV, AIF, and Kurzweil files
• KB3 ToneReal TM organ simulations with 9 sliders as drawbars
• FM: Classic 6 operator FM synthesis
• KSR: Kurzweil String Resonance (piano string resonance simulation)
• Half-Damper pedal support (for piano “half pedaling” sustain techniques)
• Kurzweil’s highly acclaimed VAST Synthesis and FX engine
• More than 1500 Factory Programs divided into 13 Categories
• More than 700 Factory Multis
• More than 4000 User IDs to save your own Programs and Multis
• Audio input jacks with FX (stereo pair accepting line/instrument/mic from 1/4” & XLR cables)
• Audio over USB (stereo in/out)
• 256 voices of polyphony
• 16 Zone MIDI controller in Multi Mode for Splits and Layers
• 16 MIDI Tracks in Song Mode
• Arpeggiator with dedicated front panel controls (up to 16 simultaneous in Multi Mode)
• CC Sequencer with dedicated front panel control (up to 16 simultaneous in Multi Mode)
• 9 assignable sliders
• 9 assignable knobs
• 10 assignable buttons
• 16 assignable velocity sensitive pads
• Pitch Wheel and assignable Modulation Wheel
• Tap tempo button and tempo knob
• 2 Transpose buttons
• Monopressure (Aftertouch)
• Assignable ribbon controller
• 2 assignable switch pedal jacks (supports up to 4 switch pedals with 2 pedals per jack)
• 2 assignable CC pedal jacks
Fatar TP/40L with pressure. 88-key, fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity and pressure (After Touch) sensitive adjustable keys.
480 x 272 pixel high resolution color LCD with adjustable brightness 256 voice polyphony, dynamically allocated
16 parts (one per MIDI channel)
5.5” (13.97 cm)
15.5” (39.37 cm)
51” (129.54 cm)
52 lb (23.58 kg) Internal power supply

So, basically a merge of Forte and PC4 with half as much flash ROM... So far not impressed.
Yeah they’re not really “going for it” are they?
I know that VAST was the deepest digital synth engine ever in 1992, but times have changed.

They should add a load more new algorithms, maybe some freeware Mutable stuff, some granular bits and pieces...
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear
It’s just a pc4 with nicer hardware. Nice, but I guess I won’t cancel the pc4-7 preorder because I don’t need another 88key piano keyboard I have my Kauai mp11se for that
📝 Reply