The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland VERSELAB MV-1 - new MV -
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Tried with Reason and it is happening with Reason as well. The MV-1 records on Section 1 regardless of what section is actually selected. WTF.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can post it in the 'Roland MV-1 VERSELAB Users' facebook group or just PM me. I have a bug list I'm sending to the development team in the next week or so.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audentes ➡️
Okay group, I need some help before I throw my MV-1 out the window. I've had the most frustrating evening and morning trying to do what I'd consider to be a very simple thing: sync the MV-1 up to Logic and record parts from Logic into sections on the MV-1 (necessary because unfortunately the MV-1 won't import SMF files, which is a different rant).

Here's what I'm running into: I can get the sync happening fine on both USB and MIDI. But I can't for the life of me get the MV-1 to record reliably on a section other than section 1. Even if I select, for example, section 4 in SECTION mode, and then switch to SEQ mode and use SECTION SELECT to select section 4, hit record so it is blinking red, the MV-1 almost always records on section 1, overwriting anything there. A couple of times I've gotten it to work correctly but can't duplicate it.

I'm pretty sure it isn't Logic -- I'm running into the same situation on Bitwig.

I'm thinking/guessing that this is a bug -- can anyone else duplicate? Or am I missing something obvious? Recording parts from an external sequencer into clips on the MV-1 seems like a basic use case, so I'm really hoping it isn't this hard. But honestly, it shouldn't take four hours to move 8 bars of music.
Sending data from external sequencers to the Verselab is working fine over here. I'd would check:

1. The midi data you're sending from the external sequencer to make sure you're only sending midi sync, start/stop, and notes. Nothing else like program changes, CCs, etc. If it's a 3rd-party midi file it could contain all kind of GM crap that will wreck havoc

2.For additional clips that you are recording into, are you using SECTION SELECT mode, switching to or creating a new clip, then double checking the clip settings? (EDIT+drum pad, then scroll to 'clip settings')

3. Also double check your MIDI channel settings for each track in the SYSTEM menu and the track type for each one.
Here for the gear

Hi coolout, thanks for the note. I’ve double-checked 1,2, and 3, with Logic, Bitwig, and Reason, and it is definitely the MV-1. The issue is recording to a section other than section 1 when the MV-1 is set to external sync via USB. I just had someone else confirm the big and sent it off to Roland. The MV-1 will revert to overwriting section 1 - but won’t record to any other sections.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi coolout, thanks for the note. I’ve double-checked 1,2, and 3, with Logic, Bitwig, and Reason, and it is definitely the MV-1. The issue is recording to a section other than section 1 when the MV-1 is set to external sync via USB. I just had someone else confirm the big and sent it off to Roland. The MV-1 will revert to overwriting section 1 - but won’t record to any other sections.
I just tried to reproduce your exact setup...and yes there seems to be a bug when using external sync over USB and the computer is the master clock, the MIDI start/stop command causes clip 1 to play...even if another clip is selected it jumps back and plays clip 1.

While this is being addressed he's a couple easy workarounds:

1. Just use the Verselab as the master clock. Keep everything else the same. You'll then be able to easily record your sequences into separate clips.

2. If you really, really need the computer to be the master (say you have a bunch of external hardware midi connected also), you could keep the computer as the master, record into clip 1, copy it into a new clip pad (in SECTION SELECT, COPY + PAD + another PAD), then just clear clip 1 (CLEAR + PAD), and start with the next section. It's an extra 2 button moves, but that works also.

3. You could also place the sequence data on your computer ahead in the timelime, (perhaps one full measure ahead so the first beat of both still line up), then just switch to the new clip after you've pressed start on the computer. Essentially the same as normal except you're switching to a new clip AFTER the the computer starts instead of before.
Here for the gear

I appreciate the verification so I know I’m not going nuts. I did start down the road of your workflow #2 , which is when I discovered a second glitch in which the MV-1 starts recording on the second or third measure of a multi-measure section. I haven’t been able to nail down when that happens, but I think right now the MV-1 wants to be the sync master. I will try workflow #1 when I get back to the studio — the snag I ran into last night is that Logic can only be the master, not the slave, so I have to switch DAWs. Ah, Apple.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't think this was shared here before, can't believe I missed it:
ICON interviewed the Roland development team behind the instrument about the VERSELAB concept, its functions, and how they went directly to creators for production advice.

https://articles.roland.com/roland-e...verselab-mv-1/
Lots of behind the scenes tidbits scattered throughout, get a sense of what was Roland thinking when they made the MV-1.
Here for the gear

Recording MIDI CCs

Hi all, something else I'm scratching my head about. I can get a tone track to respond to an external control change while playing and recording (in this case, the damper pedal), but the sequencer doesn't seem to record the actual control change messages. Can anyone get this to work?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi all, something else I'm scratching my head about. I can get a tone track to respond to an external control change while playing and recording (in this case, the damper pedal), but the sequencer doesn't seem to record the actual control change messages. Can anyone get this to work?
I'll see if I can double-check that in the next couple of days. There may be something in the MIDI or clip settings to filter out MIDI CC. The sequencer should record CC in some way.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout ➡️
I'll see if I can double-check that in the next couple of days. There may be something in the MIDI or clip settings to filter out MIDI CC. The sequencer should record CC in some way.
I’m pretty sure it’s like the mc and only records cc 80 to 83 , knob c1-3 ( 4 on the mc )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 611 phone repair ➡️
I’m pretty sure it’s like the mc and only records cc 80 to 83 , knob c1-3 ( 4 on the mc )
Yeah, I'll admit this is a bit out of my lane. I'm not usually sequencing super dynamic piano parts with a lot of pedal use. As far as I can tell, although the Verselab's Zen-Core synth engine as a sound module responds to a whole list of MIDI CCs (over 20+), the sequencer is actually more limited and only records note on/off, velocity, and the motion of whatever parameters are assigned to the 3 parameter control knobs. It doesn't actually record most MIDI CC. Seems a little odd that it wouldn't just translate the hold/sustain pedal CC into holding a physical key and record the note length the same way. I'm going to put it on my list to the devs.

If you're more of a traditional piano player using a lot of pedal, the only workarounds I see for capturing that type of playing in the Verselab would be:

A. go back and edit the lengths of each note in the sequence. (could be a bit time consuming)
B. assign the release parameter to a control knob and record the note releases as motion data. (might sound a bit clunky)
C. record your detailed piano parts as audio by resampling loops into a track or directly recording into the vocal track. (probably what I would do)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, I should have checked the MIDI implementation chart — it receives everything, but doesn’t record it. Hopefully this will get fixed, but it isn’t too troublesome to edit the lengths of notes and set envelopes to decay faster.

A related question, though — it is fairly straight-forward to assign settings to each of the CTRL knobs per clip. But it also appears you can create default system-wide assignments for four different controllers, SYS 1 through SYS 4 (page 4 of the parameter guide). I see where to make those assignments per tone, but not where to set them for the whole MV-1. Where is this hiding — or maybe, is it yet to be implemented?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks guys, I should have checked the MIDI implementation chart — it receives everything, but doesn’t record it. Hopefully this will get fixed, but it isn’t too troublesome to edit the lengths of notes and set envelopes to decay faster.

A related question, though — it is fairly straight-forward to assign settings to each of the CTRL knobs per clip. But it also appears you can create default system-wide assignments for four different controllers, SYS 1 through SYS 4 (page 4 of the parameter guide). I see where to make those assignments per tone, but not where to set them for the whole MV-1. Where is this hiding — or maybe, is it yet to be implemented?
System ctrl is per tone , on the mv and mc 101 they are pre assigned to the tone , generally only system ctrl 1 seems to be set up , tho I’ve found some tones that use 2/3/4

To set up system ctrl for a tone , or to check what it’s assigned too , use zen pro
Here’s a video tutorial for the mc101 but applicable to the mv-1

You also have mfx ctrl which is different, you can use that to assign ctrl or midi cc to mfx parameters
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout ➡️
Yeah, I'll admit this is a bit out of my lane. I'm not usually sequencing super dynamic piano parts with a lot of pedal use. As far as I can tell, although the Verselab's Zen-Core synth engine as a sound module responds to a whole list of MIDI CCs (over 20+), the sequencer is actually more limited and only records note on/off, velocity, and the motion of whatever parameters are assigned to the 3 parameter control knobs. It doesn't actually record most MIDI CC. Seems a little odd that it wouldn't just translate the hold/sustain pedal CC into holding a physical key and record the note length the same way. I'm going to put it on my list to the devs.

If you're more of a traditional piano player using a lot of pedal, the only workarounds I see for capturing that type of playing in the Verselab would be:

A. go back and edit the lengths of each note in the sequence. (could be a bit time consuming)
B. assign the release parameter to a control knob and record the note releases as motion data. (might sound a bit clunky)
C. record your detailed piano parts as audio by resampling loops into a track or directly recording into the vocal track. (probably what I would do)
It would be really useful if you could get them to add recording midi cc outside of what’s assigned to the c knobs , and also ask them to add breath control cc 2 to the midi list

Also can you get them to fix sending program change in song mode when switching sections , at the moment it sends it when I manually trigger sections , but not in song mode , would make using the mc 101 alongside the mv much easier, as I could set a track to the mc ctrl midi channel and it will launch mc scenes along side the mv sections thus giving me song mode for the mc , albeit with 16 scenes .

Also a bug I found ,
At the lowest octave -c5 the -5c note doesn’t highlight the step in the step sequencer.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Would love to see a randomizer preset option on that Zenology pro
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor42 ➡️
Would love to see a randomizer preset option on that Zenology pro
Agreed , it’s cool on the mc , but it would be even better in zen pro , as you could edit it further ,save and name it
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Roland, Roland, Roland....the wait begins

When I saw news of a new MV out I got real excited. Then didn’t.

Glad everyone likes their new MV’s if you’ve bought one and are diggin it, but I’m hoping with multiple substantial updates it might get into the territory of what my current two MV8800’s can do.

They literally had the near perfect MV8800 last update to start with and in my opinion, failed hard with coming up with a successor to the old MV series.

They could’ve even done it in a boutique style. I love the little boutique series synths and drum machines, but both the new MC series and now this MV were a disappointment to what I was hoping for.

The little Synthstrom Deluge I have comes closer to what an MV should be capable of or even BeatMaker 3 on iPad.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed they update it continuously and bring it up to more Production workstation type. After all, the original MV series was ghastly at first but they continued updating it until it was full of the powerful features that make it kind of a legendary production powerhouse.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 611 phone repair ➡️
System ctrl is per tone , on the mv and mc 101 they are pre assigned to the tone , generally only system ctrl 1 seems to be set up , tho I’ve found some tones that use 2/3/4

To set up system ctrl for a tone , or to check what it’s assigned too , use zen pro
Here’s a video tutorial for the mc101 but applicable to the mv-1

You also have mfx ctrl which is different, you can use that to assign ctrl or midi cc to mfx parameters
Ah shoot, I keep forgetting to integrate Zenology Pro into my thinking -- opens up so much more. Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhead ➡️
When I saw news of a new MV out I got real excited. Then didn’t.

Glad everyone likes their new MV’s if you’ve bought one and are diggin it, but I’m hoping with multiple substantial updates it might get into the territory of what my current two MV8800’s can do.

They literally had the near perfect MV8800 last update to start with and in my opinion, failed hard with coming up with a successor to the old MV series.

They could’ve even done it in a boutique style. I love the little boutique series synths and drum machines, but both the new MC series and now this MV were a disappointment to what I was hoping for.

The little Synthstrom Deluge I have comes closer to what an MV should be capable of or even BeatMaker 3 on iPad.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed they update it continuously and bring it up to more Production workstation type. After all, the original MV series was ghastly at first but they continued updating it until it was full of the powerful features that make it kind of a legendary production powerhouse.
I suggest reading this interview with the MV-1 dve team. With the MV-1 they're aiming to make something that's simple, approachable, and fast, so there no reason to expect it to evolve into a powerhouse like the old MV.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
I suggest reading this interview with the MV-1 dve team. With the MV-1 they're aiming to make something that's simple, approachable, and fast, so there no reason to expect it to evolve into a powerhouse like the old MV.
Thanks for the info.

I guess I’ll keep running my MV8800’s, Deluge, and BeatMaker 3.

I hope people get good use out of it. The old MV8800 was a lot to learn, but great once learned, that’s for sure. Slow as hell though loading projects.
Lives for gear

Quote:

if/when i get the Verselab, i can work around the shortcomings of the internal sequencer by using the verselab as a sound module and sequence it form the akai mpc one to get sustain, damper, pitch bend and modulation recorded on the mpc.

my hopes of firmware update for verselab:

1.more cc recording
2.random patch generator
3.more capabilities for zen beats connection

dreamland:
A. bank B for a kit - extending the pads to 32 pads not 16
B. bank B for vocal takes - extend to 32
C. scatter
G4s
Here for the gear

Thoughts So Far

Bought the Verselab recently. Would be nice to see further enhancements to Zenbeats connectivity regarding sampling and sample editing. If possible, a waveform display would make adjustment of sample start and end times faster. If not, a way to quickly dial in sample start / end times would be good.

In standalone mode, sample editing is the area in which some simple additions would improve workflow. Adjusting sample start and end times is slow. Some older samplers without waveform display allow the user to choose which unit they wish to change. For example, in the number 1000, any of the 4 digits could be selected and changed. This speeds up the process, particularly with longer samples.

Also, the pads could be used as a numeric entry system with digits 1 to 10 to quickly jump to different locator points when editing a sample start / end time. The MC909 has an “auto trim silence from beginning of sample” option and this would be useful too.

Other than those areas relating to sampling, I’m enjoying the Verselab so far. Quick and easy to get decent results. Good sketch pad for ideas.

G4s
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm still comparing the MV to the MPC One (which just went up in price by US$100!). I have an Electribe Sampler 2, which I adore, except for its arranging capabilities, which are pretty close to nil. I create great loops, but expanding them into a full song would be a total PITA.

The one thing I wish the MV had was more assignable knobs. 3 just isn't enough when working on a tone patch. The ES2 had thirteen knobs for direct sound design, which makes short work of tweaking your sound just right.

The MPC seems to do it right with 4 knobs, paged, but I'm still not sold on it overall due the menu diving still required.

Maybe an update could add paging to the 3 knobs, allowing one to switch from oscillator to filter to envelope to modulation, making 12 parameters that can be assigned.
Here for the gear

Just got my Verselab last night. Besides sex, it's hard to remember a time when I've had quite as much fun being completely lost, haha. Love the sound. Liiiiking the workflow though again things are not 100% obvious, but the learning is pretty enjoyable and I've barely cracked the manual so its not super surprising. I dont think anything I've tried to figure out is beyond its capabilities- I just dont know how to do it/them yet.

Put down a half a dozen different projects with a couple of sections each and worked into some vocals tonight - Hopefully full songs will be on the horizon when my understanding of the box grows.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
I don't think this was shared here before, can't believe I missed it:
ICON interviewed the Roland development team behind the instrument about the VERSELAB concept, its functions, and how they went directly to creators for production advice.

https://articles.roland.com/roland-e...verselab-mv-1/
Lots of behind the scenes tidbits scattered throughout, get a sense of what was Roland thinking when they made the MV-1.
There are many pearls of wisdom, like:

Why did you keep the screen small compared to other current machines?

SM: We dared ourselves to do it. When there’s a screen, the information can bother the user and creation becomes work.

Aha! It is a feature. And you were complaining....
My eyes were open. Now I want miniscule displays everywhere so it doesn't feel like work.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, it also seems like someone pre- or re-wrote the developers’ answers to give them the perfect unrealistic stiltedness for maximum commercial appeal. The interviewer seems to be in on it as well.
📝 Reply