The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland VERSELAB MV-1 - new MV -
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Okay, well reading 50 pages of that took me ages but was way more informative than what I could find elsewhere on the internet. I’m a long term keyboard, guitar, singer totally new to the world of synths and home production. Previously I’ve been totally overwhelmed by what would be needed to get a home studio running (apart from a DAW, a mic, and good old fashioned actual instruments), and at any rate after work and child supervision I’m rarely focused enough to turn cool sounds or cool ideas into actual songs.

I’ve had a NORD piano for ages, have added a Jupiter XM, now think the MV-1’s going to be perfect for me (especially as I like to play tunes, sing, muck around with new sounds, and just desperately need to not always be in front of a computer). Thanks to everyone who’s gotten their hands on one for the detailed run down on what it’s like, and the comparisons to similar kit like the MPCs, Maschine, MC707 etc.

I’m excited to get my hands on one. Time to get creative again and actually get around to finishing some songs for once!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Best thread on this device, and answered many questions, so thank you all. Despite downloading the manual, I can’t find the answer to a simple question. What are the time signature options? I have been known to write songs in 5/4 or even 7/4, or even stick an odd timed bar in every now and then. Is this baked into the device or is it a question of setting it manually with step lengths?
Also, if I understand correctly, could I gig with this, using it as a multitimbral sound module? Even run a mic through it to use the effects?
Really looks like a fun bit of kit to me. I’m very tempted.
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
i was thinking that, then i remembered that you can't use/hear the vocal track while actually making the Parts. i think? i see how that could be a real problem.
Exactly!! That's what I'm worried about.. I mean i just won't buy it.. But i need to be able to hum the melody to put the song structure around it.. How can you write chords and harmony around it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
Exactly!! That's what I'm worried about.. I mean i just won't buy it.. But i need to be able to hum the melody to put the song structure around it.. How can you write chords and harmony around it?
you could always just "sample" a scratch vocal melody, assign it to a Drum track (or use a Looper track, whatever works), then remove it when you've got your sections laid out. can't think of why this wouldn't work, just to get going at least.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
you could always just "sample" a scratch vocal melody, assign it to a Drum track (or use a Looper track, whatever works), then remove it when you've got your sections laid out. can't think of why this wouldn't work, just to get going at least.
you have a 12 min sample pool to use for vocals be they on the vocal take track or assigned samples on drum kits to be fired off or the 2 looper tracks

just treat the verselab (pre song mode- vocal track) like you would an mc707.
Lives for gear

re vocals

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
you have a 12 min sample pool to use for vocals be they on the vocal take track or assigned samples on drum kits to be fired off or the 2 looper tracks

just treat the verselab (pre song mode- vocal track) like you would an mc707.
Gear Nut

a typical vs is 35-45 seconds. so would it be possible to do 8 bars in as a sample for half a vs if an 8 bar limit and 60 second samples are a limitation and build the song around that 8 bars at a time? Another question is can you edit the song post vocal? When remixing a song alot of times I do basic parts first without the vocal just knowing the bpm and first beat location. Afterwords Once everything is lined up in the DAW thats when embellishments builds and drops come in to match what the vocals are doing.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadish ➡️
Best thread on this device, and answered many questions, so thank you all. Despite downloading the manual, I can’t find the answer to a simple question. What are the time signature options? I have been known to write songs in 5/4 or even 7/4, or even stick an odd timed bar in every now and then. Is this baked into the device or is it a question of setting it manually with step lengths?
Also, if I understand correctly, could I gig with this, using it as a multitimbral sound module? Even run a mic through it to use the effects?
Really looks like a fun bit of kit to me. I’m very tempted.
No time signatures , manual steps and scale 1/8 -1/16-1/32 and triplets per clip
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggas ➡️
There is no integration of the vocal takes in Zenbeats. Anyone know whether this is planned? Without this integration you cannot edit your vocal takes or arrange in Zenbeats ... makes absolutely no sense for a machine that's marketed as a vocal lab ...
Not in the mv editor but you can record the stems in the zenbeats daw mode , individual tracks on a computer.
Only the main mix on iPad , so , you could solo the vocal track , record it to the zenbeats in clips or on the timeline, then you can hear your vocals without being in song mode on the mv-1
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks. Oh, well, at least it’s doable.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

hope you enjoy my video :

Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

SONGMODE: Mute Clips???????????
Newbie here..... Has anyone figured out if there is a way to mute clips from a section IN SONG MODE?????
I do not mean duplicating the section (in section mode) and clearing/deleting the clips you want "muted" from the new section, because that takes TWO SECTIONS (of only 16 available!)

But using ONE SECTION (that has clips like Kick, Snare, Hihat, KIT, instrument 1, instrument 2 etc..) in different steps in SONG MODE, and being able to MUTE one or more clips of that section in different steps of the song .....

I don't think you can at this point, which is super lame :(

(seams terribly limiting have to use another SECTION ( of only 16!) to just drop the drums or an instrument for a part of the song)

ANY INPUT FOLKS???

Last edited by spaceboy67; 2 weeks ago at 03:04 PM.. Reason: add something
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy67 ➡️
Newbie here..... Has anyone figured out if there is a way to mute clips from a section IN SONG MODE?????
I do not mean duplicate the section and clear the clips you want deleted from the new section, because that takes TWO SECTIONS.
But using ONE SECTION (that has clips like Kick, Snare, Hihat, KIT, instrument 1, instrument 2 etc..) in different steps in SONG MODE, and being able to MUTE one or more clips of that section ..... I don't think so, which is super lame :(

(seams terribly limiting have to use another SECTION ( of only 16!) to just drop the drums or an instrument for a part of the song)

ANY INPUT FOLKS???
i do;t think you can... not an mv owner so i maybe proved incorrect.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I do not mean duplicating the section (in section mode) and clearing/deleting the clips you want "muted" from the new section, because that takes TWO SECTIONS (of only 16 available!)

But using ONE SECTION (that has clips like Kick, Snare, Hihat, KIT, instrument 1, instrument 2 etc..) in different steps in SONG MODE, and being able to MUTE one or more clips of that section in different steps of the song .....

I don't think you can at this point, which is super lame :(

ANY INPUT FOLKS???
Sounds like you're not using the workflow and sequencing correctly. You're complicating things and jumping steps trying to sequence in song mode. Perhaps you're only making 1 or 2 measure sequences, repeating them in Section mode, and then wanting to do mutes in Song mode. That's not the workflow. You should be making 4 to 8 measure sequences with the mutes, transitions, automation, etc. ALREADY in them before you even get to Section or Song mode.

A section should simply be a 'section' of a song: (verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge, intro, etc). Are you making songs with 10 verses, each playing a separate sequence?!?!? Probably not...16 sections with 8 measures max each is more than enough to cover an average 3-4 minute song, unless you're trying to arrange an opera or movie score LOL.

ALL your sequencing of notes (including mutes, automation, etc.) should be done in sequencing mode FIRST. In SEQ mode, make your main groove, copy it to other sections (using section select pad mode), use those additional sections to make the other the song parts: adding new elements, doing mutes, automation (motion), etc. Then switch to SECTION mode to choose the length of each song part. Then in SONG mode arrange the sections in a linear timeline. It's that easy.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout ➡️
Sounds like you're not using the workflow and sequencing correctly. You're complicating things and jumping steps trying to sequence in song mode. Perhaps you're only making 1 or 2 measure sequences, repeating them in Section mode, and then wanting to do mutes in Song mode. That's not the workflow. You should be making 4 to 8 measure sequences with the mutes, transitions, automation, etc. ALREADY in them before you even get to Section or Song mode.

A section should simply be a 'section' of a song: (verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge, intro, etc). Are you making songs with 10 verses, each playing a separate sequence?!?!? Probably not...16 sections with 8 measures max each is more than enough to cover an average 3-4 minute song, unless you're trying to arrange an opera or movie score LOL.

ALL your sequencing of notes (including mutes, automation, etc.) should be done in sequencing mode FIRST. In SEQ mode, make your main groove, copy it to other sections (using section select pad mode), use those additional sections to make the other the song parts: adding new elements, doing mutes, automation (motion), etc. Then switch to SECTION mode to choose the length of each song part. Then in SONG mode arrange the sections in a linear timeline. It's that easy.
so Q.

example

1 sequence is at 8 bars long, (AAAABBBB)can i do this

AAAAA = muted parts
BBBB - unmuted parts

section mode AAAA,AAAABBBB,BBBB
so ive used 1 sequence only to achieve this (1 pattern)
Lives for gear
Quote:
ANY INPUT FOLKS???
Sounds like you want scenes which are on the other device (MC707) that doesn't have the song mode
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
so Q.

example

1 sequence is at 8 bars long, (AAAABBBB)can i do this

AAAAA = muted parts
BBBB - unmuted parts

section mode AAAA,AAAABBBB,BBBB
so ive used 1 sequence only to achieve this (1 pattern)
Look at it this way...what parts of the song are these? For instance, if AAAA is your intro, AAAABBBB is your 1st verse, BBBB is your chorus or pre-chorus. Each one is a separate section. You would have to copy the original sequence into other sections. It only takes one move to do it for each, COPY button + drum pad...or you could go into the copy menu and get more detailed: only copy a particular clip, copy just the sound settings, phrase, or a particular measure. Think in sequences not mutes on a mixer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Well OKAY FOLKS, i hear you and see exactly what you all are talking about. With this device, I will definitely learn to expand the sequences to more bars and thinking of them as "multiparts" as you explain nicely. I just got excited when i learned you can have 99 STEPS in song mode (not just the 16 I originally thought).... AND I figured out you can have different tones/instruments in the same 16 pad layout of each instrument and you can have different lengths of clips of those 16........ SO it got me thinking that I could really take advantage of the 99 steps in song mode, having short 1 and 2 bar breaks, breakdowns, "solo" parts, and have fun changing the order of all these things not just for standard songs but beats and breakdowns and many different additions , "growing a song" and experimenting.... I will work with it as you layout though.....

BUT I still wish certain clips in sections could be muted in song mode. You point out "You're complicating things and jumping steps trying to sequence in song mode"..... Songmode has 99 steps possible, so is that not sequencing??? LOL
No fun to sequence 16 sections over 99 steps... I want to do 99 parts of or all of the 16 sections over 99 steps, if that makes sense. I want it all!

THANK YOU for your analysis!

Last edited by spaceboy67; 2 weeks ago at 05:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Songmode has 99 steps possible, so is that not sequencing??? LOL
No fun to sequence 16 sections over 99 steps... I want to do 99 parts of or all of the 16 sections over 99 steps, if that makes sense. I want it all!

THANK YOU for your analysis!
No...it's not for sequencing. The steps in Song mode are for ARRANGING. That's an important distinction...sequencing vs arrangement. In the Verselab, you create your song parts FIRST, then arrange them to a linear timeline. That's why SEQ is the first button on the front panel workflow strip, while SONG is the third button. It's laid out as simple and step-by-step as possible.

I'd suggest checking out Roland's video manual for the Verselab on YT. There's also Roland Cloud Academy, which are free live online classes for the Verselab. You should get an invite when you register the unit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So, I’m struggling to work out how to use my Jupiter XM’s midi out to control my Verselab MV-1. The verselab has 8 midi track channels in that I can see in basic sequencer mode. Connected up to the Jupiter Xm I seem to be able to operate tracks 1 through 5 using “parts/osc on 1-5), but can’t seem to work out how to transmit midi tracks 6-8. Both manuals are similarly mystifying. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Or is there a better way?
Here for the gear

So, I’ve played around a little more, and I guess I’m happy to just use the Jupiter x-m for midi to the bass track, instrument 1 and 2 track, and snare/hi-hat as “miscellaneous” channels. That’s all 5 midi-outs that I can seem to get out of the X-m accounted for, and I’m very happy to use the 4x4 verselab pads for drums/percussion.

I guess that sort of works, but have I missed something (probably)? Is there a better way to get midi in from the Jupiter x-m so I can utilise all 16 midi channels? Or should I perhaps be feeding audio on is samples? Hmm, lots more to play around with here...
Here for the gear

Recording clips from an external sequencer - what is the secret?

Okay group, I need some help before I throw my MV-1 out the window. I've had the most frustrating evening and morning trying to do what I'd consider to be a very simple thing: sync the MV-1 up to Logic and record parts from Logic into sections on the MV-1 (necessary because unfortunately the MV-1 won't import SMF files, which is a different rant).

Here's what I'm running into: I can get the sync happening fine on both USB and MIDI. But I can't for the life of me get the MV-1 to record reliably on a section other than section 1. Even if I select, for example, section 4 in SECTION mode, and then switch to SEQ mode and use SECTION SELECT to select section 4, hit record so it is blinking red, the MV-1 almost always records on section 1, overwriting anything there. A couple of times I've gotten it to work correctly but can't duplicate it.

I'm pretty sure it isn't Logic -- I'm running into the same situation on Bitwig.

I'm thinking/guessing that this is a bug -- can anyone else duplicate? Or am I missing something obvious? Recording parts from an external sequencer into clips on the MV-1 seems like a basic use case, so I'm really hoping it isn't this hard. But honestly, it shouldn't take four hours to move 8 bars of music.
Here for the gear

And another thing! The MV-1 seems to start recording midway through the track -- on measure 3 of 4 instead of measure 1 of 4. It's so frustrating. WTF...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

guys, do you know if there is any forum or email where to report verselab bugs ? I am going to give you a warning ! be careful ! If you are connected to the zenlab via usb to your computer, save your projects from time to time. It's been 3 times that my machine has been paralyzed / stucked and I've had to turn it off (disconnecting the power cable) and I've lost everything I was doing because of not saving.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audentes ➡️
And another thing! The MV-1 seems to start recording midway through the track -- on measure 3 of 4 instead of measure 1 of 4. It's so frustrating. WTF...
Have you got a count in set up ?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audentes ➡️
Okay group, I need some help before I throw my MV-1 out the window. I've had the most frustrating evening and morning trying to do what I'd consider to be a very simple thing: sync the MV-1 up to Logic and record parts from Logic into sections on the MV-1 (necessary because unfortunately the MV-1 won't import SMF files, which is a different rant).

Here's what I'm running into: I can get the sync happening fine on both USB and MIDI. But I can't for the life of me get the MV-1 to record reliably on a section other than section 1. Even if I select, for example, section 4 in SECTION mode, and then switch to SEQ mode and use SECTION SELECT to select section 4, hit record so it is blinking red, the MV-1 almost always records on section 1, overwriting anything there. A couple of times I've gotten it to work correctly but can't duplicate it.

I'm pretty sure it isn't Logic -- I'm running into the same situation on Bitwig.

I'm thinking/guessing that this is a bug -- can anyone else duplicate? Or am I missing something obvious? Recording parts from an external sequencer into clips on the MV-1 seems like a basic use case, so I'm really hoping it isn't this hard. But honestly, it shouldn't take four hours to move 8 bars of music.
I’m doing this with my Mc 101 and it works fine
Here for the gear

[I don't have a count-in on, but thanks 611 for that -- the count-in did trip me up a couple of days ago. After doing some digging, it might be the way I've got Logic set up to send clock. I will try something different and post an apology if I've blamed Roland for Logic's faults! Wouldn't be the first time...]

UPDATE - Alas, sorry Roland but I can duplicate this on Bitwig and Reason as well. Can anyone else duplicate? Try to record on an internal SEQ from an external DAW and see if you can record on any other section than section one.

Last edited by Audentes; 2 weeks ago at 02:39 AM.. Reason: Update
📝 Reply