Quantcast
"Vintage" Synth prices - will it ever calm down?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Vintage" Synth prices - will it ever calm down??
Old 6th January 2021
"Vintage" Synth prices - will it ever calm down??

Im talking OB 1000's - Waldorf Pulse - these types of things..

second hand prices are crazy right now - I got an OB1000 in 2010 under £250 and a pulse in the same ballpark..

mad prices these days..
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Only when synthesisers loose popularity.
Thěre are way more people interested in synths now than 10 years ago so not likely to happen any time soon.
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

They're not making any more of them. So, the only way to bring down prices is to cull the population of interested buyers. The only humane way to do that is to brainwash people into believing that vintage synths suck.

If you want lower prices, then your mission is to convince everyone that vintage synths suck. Slander, fake vids, memes, guilt by association... use whatever tools as necessary. As inspiration, remember the public shaming of the home organ. It was never the same, afterwards. Good luck and godspeed.
Old 6th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone ➡️
They're not making any more of them. So, the only way to bring down prices is to cull the population of interested buyers. The only humane way to do that is to brainwash people into believing that vintage synths suck.

If you want lower prices, then your mission is to convince everyone that vintage synths suck. Slander, fake vids, memes, guilt by association... use whatever tools as necessary. As inspiration, remember the public shaming of the home organ. It was never the same, afterwards. Good luck and godspeed.

true, i think it’s time to go through and edit all the gearslutz threads praising old synths. we have to convince everyone it’s all junk again lol
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old synths are all junk.
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Perhaps, if there's enough clones. Personally I've realised that vintage gear has a certain something that I find really enjoyable, but I'm a very nostalgic person.
Old 6th January 2021
Gear Nut

The prices are alright - I'm not sure what the argument for calling them crazy is. Vintage synths are not your el cheapo behringer copies. They have all the keys, full size, original chips, original sound, easy to work with thru-hole components, a history of great use, service manuals, no bollox threads about them on GS - so if you want one, you need to work for it a bit harder.
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nothing will ever be cheap like it was before everyone and their grandmother used eBay.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➡️
Perhaps, if there's enough clones. Personally I've realised that vintage gear has a certain something that I find really enjoyable, but I'm a very nostalgic person.
From what I've observed. clones are driving up prices of the originals.

Kind of like if it's getting cloned it must be good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 ➡️

Aye, both hardware clones and software recreations seem to get more people interested in the originals.
TJT
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 ➡️

I don't think so. Looking at sold listings, vintage Odyssey dropped by about $1000 to 1500. A Mark 1 used to go for about $3-3.5K in good condition. Minimoog has also dropped significantly, by about the same amount (from maybe an average of $5K to about 3K). I believe the MS-20 also lost a ton of value when they did the reissues. Those used to go for insane prices.

If you're looking at what people are ASKING for them, that's another story. Yes, a lot of very expensive minimoogs just sitting on Reverb and Ebay not getting sold.
Old 6th January 2021
Deleted d22f2ee
Quote:
Originally Posted by radio_death_wish ➡️
Im talking OB 1000's - Waldorf Pulse - these types of things..

second hand prices are crazy right now - I got an OB1000 in 2010 under £250 and a pulse in the same ballpark..

mad prices these days..
everyones gone a bit mental due to the virus and i think we seem to be in some insane age of speculative listing also where everyone keeps raising the asking price on **** that never sells , its almost like a competition now to see who can ask the most idiotic price on a synth that 5 other people have for sale at the same price and which never sell . Its very odd as more and more i see stuff just wont sell and its a one way street of stagnant markets as a result.

I dont think it will end until some listers literally die and their possessions are sold off unless their relatives do the same , see an asking price on synths not selling for years and then ask that price.

Humans are getting dumber and dumber.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT ➡️
I don't think so. Looking at sold listings, vintage Odyssey dropped by about $1000 to 1500. A Mark 1 used to go for about $3-3.5K in good condition. Minimoog has also dropped significantly, by about the same amount (from maybe an average of $5K to about 3K). I believe the MS-20 also lost a ton of value when they did the reissues. Those used to go for insane prices.

If you're looking at what people are ASKING for them, that's another story. Yes, a lot of very expensive minimoogs just sitting on Reverb and Ebay not getting sold.
But those were reissued, not just cloned like the guy you were replying to said. When your only new options are Behringer or emulation...

I have my hopes Tom Oberheim comes through with an Xpander reissue. Ideally with CV/Gate inputs for each voice like the original.
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Who cares?

Even if vintage market prices quadruple next week, the current options available on the retail market today are absolutely amazing.

If you have a burning desire to make music there are more options available to you now than at any other time in history.
Old 7th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And here I consider selling my Matrix 1000 (with 1.16 and also with a replaceable battery slot installed) - which, weirdly, seems to cost twice as much as I've paid for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd ➡️
But those were reissued, not just cloned like the guy you were replying to said. When your only new options are Behringer or emulation...

I have my hopes Tom Oberheim comes through with an Xpander reissue. Ideally with CV/Gate inputs for each voice like the original.
And the Xpander reissue will cost the same or more as an old second(or rather tenth)hand synth. Because that's how big dawgs roll nowadays. E.g. ridiculous Model D reissue a few years back or a casual $1000 bump in price of Korg MS-20 for having minikeys replaced with fullsized ones.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young ➡️
Who cares?

Even if vintage market prices quadruple next week, the current options available on the retail market today are absolutely amazing.

If you have a burning desire to make music there are more options available to you now than at any other time in history.
This exactly. Not to mention the fantastic synth plugins and the cpu power we have these days to run them. For no or a relatively modest amounts of money you can have great emulations of existing synths and totally original stuff.
Old 7th January 2021
Deleted 6c3341e
I sold my Juno 60 for twice what I paid for it. Now I have the Jun 6V plugin which sounds the same.

I don't want the headache of finding a tech for vintage synths or trying to source parts that haven't been made in 30+ years.

Hopefully Dave Smith has set a precident for companies going back and reissuing / remaking the classics most can no longer afford.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogColonic ➡️
I sold my Juno 60 for twice what I paid for it. Now I have the Jun 6V plugin which sounds the same.

I don't want the headache of finding a tech for vintage synths or trying to source parts that haven't been made in 30+ years.

Hopefully Dave Smith has set a precident for companies going back and reissuing / remaking the classics most can no longer afford.
I don"t want to go in a software vs hardware debate, but chances are that you will have headaches with that plugin when it doesnt work anymore on your current computer, or that you will want to change when another "better sounding" version will be out. Also these synth are built like tank and most likely outlast any current computer. I sold my juno60 too for more than what i bought it but i regret it now..
Old 7th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With the Pulse and the M1000, they're not even the properly good sh1t. They're alright but they've always been the at the compromised end of the scale. Swapped my Pulse for Behringer monos. Still got the M1000 but that could change when the Pro 800 and UB-XA turn up.
Deleted 6c3341e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju ➡️
I don"t want to go in a software vs hardware debate, but chances are that you will have headaches with that plugin when it doesnt work anymore on your current computer, or that you will want to change when another "better sounding" version will be out. Also these synth are built like tank and most likely outlast any current computer. I sold my juno60 too for more than what i bought it but i regret it now..
Yes you are right, there is no guarantee that in 10 years my plugins will still work. Plenty of pros and cons for hardware vs software but as you said let's not derail the thread discussing it.

I miss my J60, but needed the money. I'm hoping Roland or B make a new one.
Old 7th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When prices go up more clones will become viable.

Personally I'm more into new analog synths somehow. Was thinking about a re-issue MS-20 FS but when I compare it with the Pro-3 the latter simply seems to be more interesting to me. (YMMV)
Old 7th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In some areas people use their hearts more than their brains.
Old 7th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
M1K was my smoking gun... i bought 5 to get 2 within a 6 month time frame with 3 returns and they jumped up 33% + in price almost immediately afterwards!

M6R may be indirectly associated as I bought 3 to get 2 in that same time period.

And, Stereoping purchases to support same.

And, then I talk about it here and post pics and such.

eBay and Reverb watcher forecast algos ate these unit sales up, didn't subtract the returns and spit out opportunistic price increases as though it was a trend.

So, if Matrix 1000's were selling let's say 10 units per year and all of a sudden it looks like ANOTHER 10 units per year are selling, making it a new 20 units per year trend, then sellers think they can take opportunistic advantage and make more profits jacking up prices. But, I guarantee that M1000s are NOT selling at 20+ units per year, no way. An erroneous blip is just a blip. tutles

M1K price speculator takes police & disgruntled non-buyer beating as he flees from their wrath...

Attached Thumbnails
"Vintage" Synth prices - will it ever calm down??-synth-desk-racks.jpg  
Old 7th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Vintage prices are much less than inflation would have
Old 7th January 2021
Gear Addict

Pffffffft, the CS-80....those things are trash!

(doing my bit)
Old 7th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Grocery prices at the place across the street from my apartment are 2-3X what they were a year ago.

Could it just be that background inflation plus all the extra disposable income people have at the moment with Covid (e.g. no vacations, no restaurant spending -> more
money spent on things around the home)?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone ➡️
The only humane way to do that is to brainwash people into believing that vintage synths suck.
If that is what it takes for me to get an OB-X and Elka Synthex for reasonable prices then I'll start doing that. Hey everyone- VINTAGE SYNTHS SUCK!!!
Old 7th January 2021
Lives for gear
The Timbre Wolf sucks!
Don't buy the Timbre Wolf!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis ➡️
Old synths are all junk.
all the ICs are beyond their lifespan.
Old 7th January 2021
Gear Addict
The components are going to keep degrading. You're going to need a Platinum membership at Syntaur or whatever tech. Can't imagine the same market beyond another decade.
📝 Reply