The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog FX box "Dust Colletor"
Old 22nd December 2020
Analog FX box "Dust Colletor"

Hainbach just played with this box

I was looking for an analog multi FX box, such as the Dreadbox Hypnosis, but this beast seems to have much more options for almost the same price, 476€ (Europe) website:https://finegear.net

Another demo:

It doesn't have master stereo, but many mono I/O
Are there any other alternatives? That I'm missing out? first batch is sold out, I think i'm gonna pre-order for the second batch. Looks like a perfect match with my RD-8
Attached Thumbnails
Analog FX box "Dust Colletor"-schermafbeelding-2020-12-22-om-14.02.33.jpg   Analog FX box "Dust Colletor"-schermafbeelding-2020-12-22-om-13.34.55.jpg  

Last edited by studionando; 28th December 2020 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: missing website link
Old 28th December 2020
Old 28th December 2020
Deleted cda76ca
I’m not really into analogue effects aside from old cheap chorus pedals, but this looks like a great option for those that are!
Old 28th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Vermona Retroverb Lancet is another analog multi-effects unit that's currently in production. It's a little more compact, but not quite as extensive as the Dust Collector appears to be.
Old 28th December 2020
Deleted 8ace8bf
https://finegear.net/ <-- links alongside videos are always good.

The delay is a pt2399, not technically analog.. also wouldn't one hope for a better delay in a box this price?
Old 28th December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace ➡️

The delay is a pt2399, not technically analog.. also wouldn't one hope for a better delay in a box this price?
Yes I’d hope for something better than a 1997 digital delay chip at this price. Don’t get me wrong though, I love the PT2399 and am getting a friend to build me a stereo delay with a built in ring mod circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8ace8bf ➡️
You're right, I will change that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cda76ca ➡️
Yes I’d hope for something better than a 1997 digital delay chip at this price. Don’t get me wrong though, I love the PT2399 and am getting a friend to build me a stereo delay with a built in ring mod circuit!
You're saying its a digital delay? ah I thought this baby was full analog, its the same with Dreadbox hypnosis, with isn't fully analog either. I'm prefer analog, personally not a dealbreaker. I placed an pré-order for the next batch, meanwhile I try to get more info about it, because there isn't much about it. The Delay isn't that great, at least that what this YouTube can confirm to me:

"Overall, it’s a fun unit with strange effects and odd behavior. I like it a lot; however, it’s definitely for pushing boundaries. It’s not a “go to” effects unit, it’s more for super creative sound design. The delay is the weakest part, as it’s hard to hear much of anything. Still, the other effects are well made and will add depth to your tracks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMK0...or0zw5w03c010c

I'm personally not blown away by its phaser, so its really about the other effects. other options I havent found, next to the hypnosis
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by studionando ➡️
You're saying its a digital delay? ah I thought this baby was full analog, its the same with Dreadbox hypnosis, with isn't fully analog either. I'm prefer analog, personally not a dealbreaker. I placed an pré-order for the next batch, meanwhile I try to get more info about it, because there isn't much about it. The Delay isn't that great, at least that what this YouTube can confirm to me:

"Overall, it’s a fun unit with strange effects and odd behavior. I like it a lot; however, it’s definitely for pushing boundaries. It’s not a “go to” effects unit, it’s more for super creative sound design. The delay is the weakest part, as it’s hard to hear much of anything. Still, the other effects are well made and will add depth to your tracks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMK0...or0zw5w03c010c

I'm personally not blown away by its phaser, so its really about the other effects. other options I havent found, next to the hypnosis
Yes, the PT2399 is a digital delay chip from the late 90’s. Now it’s pretty gritty and nice, if voiced with some suitable filtering circuitry around the chip, to filter the repeats, it can sound like a BBD delay, but it’s not. And it’s a seriously cheap part, a couple of dollars.

Pedal manufacturers have been lying about what is “analogue” for years, and sometimes it just means “voiced to sound like analogue”...as guitarists are kind of an idiosyncratic bunch.

Anyhow, I have an old BBD delay, made as a microphone echo mixer, it’s kind of broken and badly behaved, the pitch rises randomly lol, I also have a BBD chorus on order, so I kind of like them. But I LOVE the PT2399, and am getting a friend to build a stereo pedal around them, but I wanted to let you know the truth behind the glamour of certain effects. I’m sure the panel and construction is costly, and therefore takes up a lot of the price.

But the PT2399 is available dirt cheap. Now, it’s most interesting effects happens when it’s pushed past it’s operational range, into crazy digital aliasing territory. I have a CV controllable one by Synthrotek which can be pushed via CV to absolute insanity. So they sound great, are amazing for weird stuff, but they’re digital, and should be marketed as such, lol.
Old 28th December 2020
Deleted 41485c6
Quote:
Are there any other alternatives? That I'm missing out?
Koma Field Kit FX
Deleted 41485c6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cda76ca ➡️
I’m not really into analogue effects aside from old cheap chorus pedals, but this looks like a great option for those that are!
I really like the looks of those custom jam pedals multieffects...
Old 28th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not aware of any desktop units that would have similar options. There are loads of individual pedals that would cover similar ground, but there aren't many options for spring reverbs in a smallish form factor and the cost of quality individual pedals would most likely exceed what they're asking for that unit.
Old 28th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i am fifty fifty on this one. the dual mono tape saturation and drive section sounds sublime, giving punch and rms especially on drums. they could have sold this separately as stereo in/out pedal. springs sounds nice too.

otoh phaser while analog, sounds rather kinda bland and dull. just the low mid throb and no trace of space/jet/shimmer animation in high mids and top end, that good analog phasers have. as if its wet output is bandlimited. the light control of the phaser ? naah, gimmicky.

never was in love with that delay chip. its dirtyness has some charms sometimes, but in this context it doesn't really bring the goods.

jacks on the back are unergonomic impractical solution to bring this into a larger modular eco system. and for patching in general.

i think the two koma kits are much more interesting than this. also, a small 3u eurorack with a few choice modules can outdo this in a jiffy. perhaps not for 480 euro but still.. at least you you are getting something that has fantastic sound and much greater flexibility.
Old 29th December 2020
fun factor the most important to me

About the Dreadbox hypnosis from 14:30 Nick mentioned the fun factor, "The Thing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqEpqL8wug

This demo, made me felt in love with this box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYmi8uI8xs&t=388s

xanderbeanz
Quote:
Pedal manufacturers have been lying about what is “analogue” for years, and sometimes it just means “voiced to sound like analogue”...as guitarists are kind of an idiosyncratic bunch.
Really useful insights here of you, I'm not an pro with the actual stuff thats inside..
Its the same with the hypnosis, some effect are digital, some are analog and then there is also mono/stereo effects.

trick fall

Quote:
I'm not aware of any desktop units that would have similar options. There are loads of individual pedals that would cover similar ground, but there aren't many options for spring reverbs in a smallish form factor and the cost of quality individual pedals would most likely exceed what they're asking for that unit.
Thats what I thought, multiple effects you have it all in one box, I do have the zoom stompbox ms 70, but its annoying to work with, small screen, menu diving, not great for live performance what my goal is.

But the demo's aren't really mind blowing.
I have no real experience with eurorack, but this box does invites me to work with CV gate, so I thought this would be a great introduction

The Mole
Quote:
Koma Field Kit FX
Will check it out, thank you

Also to put it in perspective, 470€ for this effect, the Analog Heat mkII is also on my wishlist witch cost around 650/700€, I retuned an Analog Heat B stock for 500€ witch I kinda regret now.

Choices
Old 29th December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 41485c6
Quote:
About the Dreadbox hypnosis from 14:30 Nick mentioned the fun factor, "The Thing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqEpqL8wug

This demo, made me felt in love with this box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYmi8uI8xs&t=388s

xanderbeanz

Really useful insights here of you, I'm not an pro with the actual stuff thats inside..
Its the same with the hypnosis, some effect are digital, some are analog and then there is also mono/stereo effects.

trick fall

Thats what I thought, multiple effects you have it all in one box, I do have the zoom stompbox ms 70, but its annoying to work with, small screen, menu diving, not great for live performance what my goal is.

But the demo's aren't really mind blowing.
I have no real experience with eurorack, but this box does invites me to work with CV gate, so I thought this would be a great introduction

The Mole

Will check it out, thank you

Also to put it in perspective, 470€ for this effect, the Analog Heat mkII is also on my wishlist witch cost around 650/700€, I retuned an Analog Heat B stock for 500€ witch I kinda regret now.

Choices
Hypnosis is a great choice, i had a chance to try it out and all of the effects on board sounded glorious. I have one of their stompboxes, epsilon filter, and it's a fine build qlt., i must say. Self-oscilates like crazy and sometimes is a bit noisy, but it's bearable, since it has analogue distortion circuit. But back to Hypnosis... With a little patience and luck, you can possibly snatch one of these second handed, or demo model for around 200€.

And i feel your pain.. i'd like to get Hologram Effects Microcosm which is around 500€ i believe.. but first i'll have to get MWFX Judder (250€) before the fall of brexitus..
Old 29th December 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I’m currently sending a Hypnosis back. It may have had a ground issue, because the reverb was a loud source of hum, but in the end, the chorus was pretty good and the delay just OK. I put it next to Valhalla Übermod, U-he Colour Copy and an instance of Twangström and it was really no contest. The software was superior in every way but physical knobs. I may still get a Strymon Ola and Volante, but I’m feeling I’m pretty happy as I am.
Deleted 8ace8bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I’m currently sending a Hypnosis back. It may have had a ground issue, because the reverb was a loud source of hum, but in the end, the chorus was pretty good and the delay just OK. I put it next to Valhalla Übermod, U-he Colour Copy and an instance of Twangström and it was really no contest. The software was superior in every way but physical knobs. I may still get a Strymon Ola and Volante, but I’m feeling I’m pretty happy as I am.
I'm awaiting one of these when the UK is out of international exile

Kinda hoping it isn't better than software so I don't develop an expensive tape echo habit

Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8ace8bf ➡️
I'm awaiting one of these...
Oh no! Why did you have to show me this...!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I love real spring reverb, but unfortunately it does tend to be very susceptible to hum. One thing that can help is ensuring that power supplies for other gear are nowhere near the spring reverb unit, but that's not always practical.

I've been tempted to get the Anasounds Element because it looks gorgeous and you can place the spring tanks pretty much anywhere.
Old 29th December 2020
Lives for gear

I could never get into the Hypnosis as there is no way to midi sync the LFO?
My Retroverb retriggers on MIDI CLOCK indirectly, as I pulse it from CV OCD to the analog trigger
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mole ➡️
Koma Field Kit FX
Matthew Koma?
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Koma Field Kit FX
And the expansion pack has a spring tank

Old 30th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
I love real spring reverb, but unfortunately it does tend to be very susceptible to hum. One thing that can help is ensuring that power supplies for other gear are nowhere near the spring reverb unit, but that's not always practical.

I've been tempted to get the Anasounds Element because it looks gorgeous and you can place the spring tanks pretty much anywhere.
I’m a long time guitar player, so I know how bad they can be, but this seemed particularly bad, (in the past I removed the reverb tank on many a guitar amp and replaced it with outboard digital reverb) especially considering how far it was from any power supply. By rotating it 90 degrees I could get it to be better... but not great and as I only have limited room, it would suck to have to use it in that position.

I think if I was floored with the other effects, I’d maybe have pushed past this, but I just didn’t.
Old 30th December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 41485c6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotchicken ➡️
Matthew Koma?
Moar like Koma people, lol

srsly tho, that analogue synth at 3:03 looks pretty badass!!!!
Old 31st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Moar like Koma people, lol

srsly tho, that analogue synth at 3:03 looks pretty badass!!!!
Haha
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace ➡️

PT2399 is ok but yeah not in a 400 euro box.

I feel like this kind of thing is having a laugh at synth/modular heads.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle ➡️
PT2399 is ok but yeah not in a 400 euro box.

I feel like this kind of thing is having a laugh at synth/modular heads.
At least get something weird with it like the Flight of Harmony Sound of Shadows.
Old 31st December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thing is too big & bulky imo. It’d be way cooler if it were a mixer too.
Deleted cda76ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
At least get something weird with it like the Flight of Harmony Sound of Shadows.
My friend is using the Synthrotek kit as a basis for the stereo PT2399 pedal he’s making me, it has some odd warp modes. I’ve told him to scale the pots to let me go outside of the PT’s happy operational range as that’s where the chaos happens
Old 3rd January 2021
I canceled today my pre-order from Finegear, I rather get the Analog HeatmkII with some discount.
Love the big box, the more knobs the better in my case, and also the routing options. But the Tape Saturation isn't mind-blowing, the Phase, and its gimmick light effect sensor,, and the a digital delay, Lots of ingredients but non excels. I might get an dedicated (big) spring reverb one day..
📝 Reply