Quantcast
Modal Cobalt 8 - Page 21 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modal Cobalt 8
Old 26th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have they made it possible to store user arpeggio patterns yet?
Old 26th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo ➡️
Have they made it possible to store user arpeggio patterns yet?
No, I don‘t think so.
Old 26th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwave ➡️
No, I don‘t think so.
That's a shame. I'm probably not buying unless they implement this. Thanks for replying.
Old 26th October 2021
Deleted a26ea8d
That's the dumbest reason ever not to buy a synth tbh but it's your money, I'm sure all your other synths have this feature
Old 27th October 2021
Deleted a26ea8d
Got my Cobalt today and I love it. Not sure if user arps were promised and not delivered but it does have a sequencer and the sound is beautiful. It is particularly expressive and lots of movement which was what I was looking for. Nice and sparkly, spacious and plenty of fizz. Not sure I'd call it phatt or juicy as in real analogue, but it's definitely beautiful can't wait to pair it with Argon.
Old 27th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted a26ea8d ➡️
Got my Cobalt today and I love it. Not sure if user arps were promised and not delivered …
I never heard or read about a promise by Modal about this.
Old 23rd November 2021
Here for the gear
I posted this video not long ago:

Old 24th November 2021
Deleted a26ea8d
Still absolutely loving this synth even though I have a new Super 6. I have not heard anything quite like it on hardware or VST, it has something special.

Is it criminally underrated or so popular GS snobs don't pay it attention? Hmm.
Old 24th November 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJackGibbon ➡️
Still absolutely loving this synth even though I have a new Super 6. I have not heard anything quite like it on hardware or VST, it has something special.

Is it criminally underrated or so popular GS snobs don't pay it attention? Hmm.
Literally just bought one of these 10 minutes ago ... mainly as a controller with a joystick and what seems to be good aftertouch and keyboard strangely enough. It's only yesterday I started listening to what these sound like and that sealed the deal - a free synth too! More to the point those oscillators look super interesting. Really looking forward to seeing what this can do.
Old 6th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just received my Cobalt 8 and it sounds winderful. But I stumbled over a problem: The note -> cutoff routing (pressing note button) to keytrack the filter does not work, though the modulation values are correctly displayed on the screen. Anybody else can confirm this?

Edit: Finally I found a constellation where I could notice the key tracking, but it is very, very subtle compared to other synths.

Last edited by Jauly; 6th December 2021 at 09:42 PM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
CHQ
Here for the gear

Just received a custom case from Swan. Cobalt8M and Argon8M stacked.

I have cases for most of my hardware. I use cheaper Gorilla DJ cases for the "slabs", but "wedgies" are a little more awkward. My solution is to use the foam end pieces from the original cardboard supply box and spec the flight case to be the same internal size. This case was narrower than the minimum width that Swan will make a case for, so I just used the extra space to make a padded area for the PSUs.
Attached Thumbnails
Modal Cobalt 8-20220111_155225.jpg  
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Clicking on some presets?

So I'm embarrassed to say that I've had my Cobalt8x for a few months now and haven't really dug into it much until today other than playing with a few presets. I was having a grand old time today, but bumped into something that seemed odd: clicking on one of the presets.

I was on preset #75 "3D PolySynth" and grabbed a full chord with 4+ notes, with a couple roots in the bass. When I hit a full chord repeatedly I noticed that there are ugly clicks at the attack of the notes. This mostly doesn't happen if you hit just a single note or two.
I played around a bit and found that FX1 is a Chorus and if I cut the Wet/Dry on it (knob A) the clicks go away.

Has anyone else noticed this before? Can anyone confirm if they see the same behavior?

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zKing ➡️
So I'm embarrassed to say that I've had my Cobalt8x for a few months now and haven't really dug into it much until today other than playing with a few presets. I was having a grand old time today, but bumped into something that seemed odd: clicking on one of the presets.

I was on preset #75 "3D PolySynth" and grabbed a full chord with 4+ notes, with a couple roots in the bass. When I hit a full chord repeatedly I noticed that there are ugly clicks at the attack of the notes. This mostly doesn't happen if you hit just a single note or two.
I played around a bit and found that FX1 is a Chorus and if I cut the Wet/Dry on it (knob A) the clicks go away.

Has anyone else noticed this before? Can anyone confirm if they see the same behavior?

Thanks!
I can detect a bit of this; my guess is it is the retrig setting on LFO-2 or the single setting on LFO-1. Zeroing out the depth of all three LFOs clears it up.

From the manual:

Retrigger - In this mode, each new keypress restarts the LFO and it the continues to run - particularly useful for Unison/Stack sounds.

Free - In this mode LFO 2 is never reset, so it could be at any phase when a note is pressed.

Single - In this mode, the LFO will start when a new key is pressed, complete cycle and stop, but will not retrigger when a new note is triggered and one is already held.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlery ➡️
I can detect a bit of this; my guess is it is the retrig setting on LFO-2 or the single setting on LFO-1. Zeroing out the depth of all three LFOs clears it up.

From the manual:

Retrigger - In this mode, each new keypress restarts the LFO and it the continues to run - particularly useful for Unison/Stack sounds.

Free - In this mode LFO 2 is never reset, so it could be at any phase when a note is pressed.

Single - In this mode, the LFO will start when a new key is pressed, complete cycle and stop, but will not retrigger when a new note is triggered and one is already held.
Oh! Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I'll have to try to play with those settings. But it's curious that it went away when I killed the Chorus too.

Thank you!
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauly ➡️
I just received my Cobalt 8 and it sounds winderful. But I stumbled over a problem: The note -> cutoff routing (pressing note button) to keytrack the filter does not work, though the modulation values are correctly displayed on the screen. Anybody else can confirm this?

Edit: Finally I found a constellation where I could notice the key tracking, but it is very, very subtle compared to other synths.
I'm a bit late to the conversation here, but I've been considering the Cobalt8 for purchase, as the price is right and the "oscillators" sound very powerful. However, I had been under the impression that the Cobalt8 had one filter per voice, like a traditional analog poly synth. It doesn't. All voices feed one single filter.

To be fair, I don't think Modal has ever claimed it had a filter per voice, and the manual does refer to "filter" in the singular in all locations, so the error is entirely mine.

This does explain, however, the lack of keyboard tracking for the filter.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zKing ➡️
Oh! Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I'll have to try to play with those settings. But it's curious that it went away when I killed the Chorus too.

Thank you!
I was fiddling with this, and I think either the LFO or the Chorus does it - the chorus is set at 127, so that's probably a big part of it.

I think dialing down the chorus and dialing up the drift parameter gets you to a similar place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano ➡️
I'm a bit late to the conversation here, but I've been considering the Cobalt8 for purchase, as the price is right and the "oscillators" sound very powerful. However, I had been under the impression that the Cobalt8 had one filter per voice, like a traditional analog poly synth. It doesn't. All voices feed one single filter.

To be fair, I don't think Modal has ever claimed it had a filter per voice, and the manual does refer to "filter" in the singular in all locations, so the error is entirely mine.

Note tracking filter cutoff is one of the four pre-set modulation routings; and this works for me more or less as expected (and can be set to negative values). I haven't done a deep dive, but this seem to work more or less like tracking in my XD or my BassStation 2 (although with more variety in settings available).
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don’t know why you think this, but the Cobalt8 does have filter keyboard tracking, just route “Note” to the cutoff. Also it has polyphonic LFO’s, so it is able to modulate the filter with for example a different rate or phase per voice.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Note tracking filter cutoff is one of the four pre-set modulation routings; and this works for me more or less as expected (and can be set to negative values). I haven't done a deep dive, but this seem to work more or less like tracking in my XD or my BassStation 2 (although with more variety in settings available).
Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if that "filtering" is done by changing the oscillator waveform directly, or if the filter tracks the highest note played.

I did ask Mike at Modal support "Is there one filter per voice, or one for the whole keyboard?", and his response to me was "There isn't a filter system per voice. All overall functions like filters will affect all permutations of voice modes collectively."
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
I don’t know why you think this, but the Cobalt8 does have filter keyboard tracking, just route “Note” to the cutoff. Also it has polyphonic LFO’s, so it is able to modulate the filter with for example a different rate or phase per voice.
I got the information from Modal. Could their answer be incorrect? I'd love that to be the case.

Can anyone give a link to some sound/video that shows the individual filters in operation?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if that "filtering" is done by changing the oscillator waveform directly, or if the filter tracks the highest note played.

I did ask Mike at Modal support "Is there one filter per voice, or one for the whole keyboard?", and his response to me was "There isn't a filter system per voice. All overall functions like filters will affect all permutations of voice modes collectively."
I think his answer allows for a filter that *acts like* it can keytrack. There isn't a discrete per-voice filter, because there probably isn't a filter at all; it's modeled.

It sure sounds to me like it is modeling filter behavior per-voice (and velocity to filter envelope depth makes this pretty clear this is how it works - held notes don't brighten when you hammer a new note with a peaky filter envelope with sufficient depth).
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think his answer allows for a filter that *acts like* it can keytrack. There isn't a discrete per-voice filter, because there probably isn't a filter at all; it's modeled.

It sure sounds to me like it is modeling filter behavior per-voice (and velocity to filter envelope depth makes this pretty clear this is how it works - held notes don't brighten when you hammer a new note with a peaky filter envelope with sufficient depth).
Okay, then the answer is in semantics. I'll add the cobalt back to my list of candidates!
📝 Reply