The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim OB-Xa Trademark/Oberheim Speculation thread.
Old 20th October 2020
Lives for gear
What's this thread about again?
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s no wonder these are demanding such high prices now. It sounds bloody fantastic.

That string/organ sound at 0:46 is to die for.

Old 22nd October 2020
Gear Maniac

Classic Oberheim weeping grace. Beautiful sound
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm keeping an empty tier on the keyboard stand for the TO/Sequential OB-XA Rev 2. I hope it's not too long of a wait....
Old 10th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️

Possibly the only polyphonic synthesizer with that sizzling, electrifying character that eats electrons for breakfast.

That or the OB-Xa.
https://uspto.report/TM/90449195

Sequential filed an OB-X trademark, one of my running theories was that Tom was going to partner up with Dave for some classic reissues.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter ➡️

Sequential filed an OB-X trademark, one of my running theories was that Tom was going to partner up with Dave for some classic reissues.
Awesome news! Maybe the OB-X is one of the two instruments Sequential is working on so 2021 looks very promising!

Last edited by OurDarkness; 10th January 2021 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Awesome news! Maybe the OB-X is one of the two instruments Sequential is working so 2021 looks very promising!
Ooh... I would rob a bank for that one. Hope it happens. I'd settle for an updated/upgraded OB-6 variant too.

As great as the new Prophet-5/10 are, the Oberheim sound is what I crave. Not sure I'd have room for it though, even if I can save up enough.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Awesome news! Maybe the OB-X is one of the two instruments Sequential is working on so 2021 looks very promising!
Sequential OB-X is the dream. I can’t .. even ... imagine how it would be

I have no room for it but would be an insta-buy
Old 10th January 2021
Gear Nut

Holy cow!
Gear Nut

Quote:
generally how long after can the product be launched after being registered?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearyhistory ➡️
I don't know but the sooner it's registered the better for us.
bax
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
Sequential OB-X is the dream. I can’t .. even ... imagine how it would be

I have no room for it but would be an insta-buy
Yep, same here. I'm a tech by hobby, and I *still* won't deal with trying to keep an older Oberheim in operating condition so I'd kinda given up, especially with the insanity pricing at this point. I was finally ready to hit up Sweetwater for an OB-6 after all this Vintage Knob stuff that has come down recently, and boy am I glad I revisited this thread before I did that.

I will absolutely wait for this for as long as it takes. It will absolutely be a Day 1 purchase. Now I just need to figure out what has to leave to make room for it...

Thanks!
bax
Lives for gear

Quote:

Will it be a re-issue, or a Prophet with OB filters, etc. like the OB-6?

If the latter, we'll get to hear about all the sad faces of people who buy it thinking it'll be just like before, only to complain about how it isn't "vintage" enough.
Old 10th January 2021
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think it would more likely be an OB-Xa/8 type synth, using CEM vco/vcf. They already have a supply for those chips and the new P5 being sort of a template for the project, it would make sense. Even the code for 3310 EGs would just need some rework to have them operate like they do in the OBies.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Holy Schmoly
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➡️
I think it would more likely be an OB-Xa/8 type synth, using CEM vco/vcf. They already have a supply for those chips and the new P5 being sort of a template for the project, it would make sense. Even the code for 3310 EGs would just need some rework to have them operate like they do in the OBies.
I agree, although to be honest, I would expect them to come up with the OB-Xa first, given the fact that the OB-X is discreet and the OB-Xa is not. Maybe Tom will do the VCO/VCF/VCA while the envelopes will be coded by Sequential like you said.

I wonder what the 2nd product is.
Gear Addict

as much as theres a terrible flu plaguing the earth im gonna say it.....

its a good time to be alive.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Pro 3 shipped Feb of last year and they filed the trademark for that in Sept 2019.
bax
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Will it be a re-issue, or a Prophet with OB filters, etc. like the OB-6?

If the latter, we'll get to hear about all the sad faces of people who buy it thinking it'll be just like before, only to complain about how it isn't "vintage" enough.
True... I gotta believe they (Dave/Tom) wouldn't smack down that specific 'OB-X' name/card without bringing something to market that would be close enough to a re-issue of the original that it would satisfy those of us out here waiting for such a thing. If it's gonna be substantially different than the original, I would expect they would be saavy enough to market such a thing using a different name.

Much like the 'Prophet' thing over the last couple of decades; DSI/Sequential have done a lot of "new" Prophets (08, REV2, 6) over the years but none were specifically named and marketed as a 'Prophet 5' (or 10) except for the "legitimate" Rev4 re-issue. Given his stellar reputation in the MI industry, I don't honestly believe Dave (or Tom for that matter) would be willing to incur the probable ill will that sullying the 'OB-X' name would incur...but that's obviously just my opinion.
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Pro 3 shipped Feb of last year and they filed the trademark for that in Sept 2019.
So we could expect a gap of more or less five months. The waiting is painful
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax ➡️
True... I gotta believe they (Dave/Tom) wouldn't smack down that specific 'OB-X' name/card without bringing something to market that would be close enough to a re-issue of the original that it would satisfy those of us out here waiting for such a thing. If it's gonna be substantially different than the original, I would expect they would be saavy enough to market such a thing using a different name.

Much like the 'Prophet' thing over the last couple of decades; DSI/Sequential have done a lot of "new" Prophets (08, REV2, 6) over the years but none were specifically named and marketed as a 'Prophet 5' (or 10) except for the "legitimate" Rev4 re-issue. Given his stellar reputation in the MI industry, I don't honestly believe Dave (or Tom for that matter) would be willing to incur the probable ill will that sullying the 'OB-X' name would incur...but that's obviously just my opinion.
Well, maybe there is no OB-X re-issue. Maybe a friend helping another to register his trademarks and thus prevent Behringer from passing the bulldozer.
Lives for gear

The release of the Pro-3 was delayed and Dave himself said it was a bit of a struggle before they could finally get it released. Also, Tom talked about a poly already last NAMM so my guess is that it is this one. So they are probably going to show it at NAMM and then make it available within a couple of months. That’s my guess at least.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unease ➡️
The release of the Pro-3 was delayed and Dave himself said it was a bit of a struggle before they could finally get it released. Also, Tom talked about a poly already last NAMM so my guess is that it is this one. So they are probably going to show it at NAMM and then make it available within a couple of months. That’s my guess at least.
That would really be the impossible, a dream come true
Lives for gear

What's great right now is that, having an OB-6, I have nothing other than curiosity for whatever this is, or might be. I suppose that's sort of how many P6 owners feel/felt about the P5. It would have to be a LOT better than the OB-6 to my ears to even consider swapping it out (can't fit both) - and in desktop module form.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
What's great right now is that, having an OB-6, I have nothing other than curiosity for whatever this is, or might be. I suppose that's sort of how many P6 owners feel/felt about the P5. It would have to be a LOT better than the OB-6 to my ears to even consider swapping it out (can't fit both) - and in desktop module form.
Well, the OB-6 is not an OB-X re-issue. It's mostly a modern Oberheim. If you are curious about how a potential OB-X re-issue would sound, you should listen to the original OB-X (because that's what a proper re-issue should sound like) and decide if it sounds better to you, compared to the OB-6. It's easy. Features also play a significant role though.
bax
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, maybe there is no OB-X re-issue. Maybe a friend helping another to register his trademarks and thus prevent Behringer from passing the bulldozer.
I get what your saying and that could technically be the case, but according to the actual Registration filing, they specify a 1(b) Basis, which is "Intent to Use" or ITU. If they had filed under a 1(a) "Use in Commerce" to cover use of a prior Trademark that might probably be more of the likely basis to use to "preserve", but even then "Sequential LLC" has never technically used that name in commerce so they probably couldn't file that way anyway. Keep in mind, this is just an Application for Registration; it won't necessarily be granted until it is reviewed for qualification and approved...for a 1(b) Basis that will require them to demonstrate "bona fide intent to use the mark in commerce", and they will have 6 months to demonstrate that (extensions up to 36 months can possibly be granted under certain circumstances).

Registration of 'OB-X' by Sequential LLC:

Basis for Filing:

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-get...s/basis-filing

"Intent to Use" definition/description:

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-app...u-applications

So, with that in mind, it seems more likely they are legitimately "doing something" here. Just my opinion...

Thanks!
bax
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
Well, the OB-6 is not an OB-X re-issue. It's mostly a modern Oberheim. If you are curious about how a potential OB-X re-issue would sound, you should listen to the original OB-X (because that's what a proper re-issue should sound like) and decide if it sounds better to you, compared to the OB-6. It's easy. Features also play a significant role though.
Yep! People should totally do that.
Old 11th January 2021
Gear Maniac

Man, that would be something if they did an OB-X and I would hope that they do a REALLY good job with it if they do release a new revision. The OB-X is the most gorgeous polysynth that I’ve ever heard in person, the tone is just stunning.
Old 11th January 2021
Kja
Lives for gear
What if it had both voicing for x and xa? Vintage knob 3.0 could be to model the different envelopes and frequency responses of the filters? A dream i know..
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
I'd be surprised if it didn't have an 8/Xa/X knob and both SEM and CEM filters.
Closed