The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Erae Touch - A versatile MPE controller with customizable elements
Old 26th October 2020
Gear Head

I'm saying this is beyond my skills. I have no idea how to reconcile all this information, or if it's contradictory. So I can believe everything about equally, unfortunately. I do appreciate your and others' efforts to make the LinnStrument work even better than it already does.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

..on a side note:

if something is really superfluous on the LS, it's not the sequencer, it's those 'Hello New York' etc. messages.

What I would like though is a MIDI-hook to display single letters and numbers. Would be easy enough, the routines are already there, it would allow the (mis)use of the LS as a studio-display for things like beat-counters, chord-display, whatever, as long as it fits in 8x25 pixels.
Thought of doing it myself, but as mentioned the workflow with the Arduino-IDE is not for the faint at heart.
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3018033

Just 19 hours to go! They've also upgraded their plans for the hardware so that the sensitivity is improved tenfold but this also means that after the kickstarted campaign, it's likely these will end up costing more than what they originally projected.. so it's a good chance to grab a great deal on one of these now :slight_smile:

I personally really love companies like this who make a great feature packed product and then take it way further after launch, had great experiences with companies like this so far so I'm feeling really good about this one!
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I pre-ordered one. I also have a Linnstrument (the full size model) and right now it's the best MPE solution, but I thought I'd give the Erae Touch a go.

It should be more customisable, but the main purpose is to be able to control VST software instruments with polyphonic aftertouch and better control over velocity and be able to just switch to different screens for faders, a screen for playing wind/bowed/brass instruments and a screen for playing piano/organs (one isomorphic field and some stuff on the side to control the sustain pedal or a pressure xyz pad to control expression for wind/bowed instruments), and a screen for playing percussion instruments (ie, a 4 x 2 grid or a 6 x 3 grid).

The possibilities seem endless with this new one...so we'll do some testing and see how it works out. Should be here around May, fingers crossed.
Old 6th March 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Looks interesting. I don’t back kickstarters, but I’d love to buy one when it becomes a product.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not on a kickstarter any more since the funding has now been secured. It will be shipping in May.
Gear Head

Right, it's not a Kickstarter. It's a product currently for sale at https://www.embodme.com/. You pay now for delivery in May.
Old 6th March 2021
Gear Addict

Was waiting for this one but I'll wait till there are some good reviews, it looks promising to me.
Lives for gear

Preorder price is still $100 less than it will be afterwards, for anyone interested. I think the website says it will start shipping in May, but doesn't give an indication of how long they think it will take to fulfill all of the current orders. There may be a container coming, full of assembled boxed Touches, ready to go, or maybe they'll have to be finished in-house and sent to customers in batches over some time. I'd assume kickstarters ship first, then the earliest preorders, and so on, but who knows.

Just about every musical thing you can buy new is out of stock preorder backorder more delays expected soon, so that's par for the course right now anyway.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipson ➡️
Right, it's not a Kickstarter. It's a product currently for sale at https://www.embodme.com/. You pay now for delivery in May.
I guess what I mean is that I want them to be beta tested by early adopters first. I’m already waiting for a Quad Cortex that I hope delivers the goods. I don’t think I could take another thing to wait for. I’m fragile like a new bud in spring.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I believe it's already been beta-tested. There are probably several people (perhaps 30 or more) who are testing the product and providing feedback. Depending on the feedback, this is likely what delayed shipping since firmware updates would have had to be done.

I think it's pretty safe to order one, and since this new tech is so revolutionary I'll willing to give this a chance.
Old 7th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I already have a Linnstrument. I wanted the small Roli Seaboard Block but I’ve given up hope on it ( out of stock for a year now. Probably never coming back ?) . This looks very interesting and the price is not too crazy, but I’ll wait until i see some feedback from users.

Edit : i just noticed that it’s a french company, and their offices are not far from where i live, maybe it’s possible to try one there..mmm...
Old 7th March 2021
Lives for gear

You aren't missing much from the Roli ... mine is dusty on a shelf ... the Linnstrument is in front of me on my desk ...
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipson ➡️
Looks interesting... from one video, it is not full MPE support. It does not seem to have Timbre. Or maybe it has Timbre in some mode or another.

Bit too much changing and flashing lights, but I will certainly keep my eye on it. Still waiting on my Osmose, so that is enough for now... plus my Linnstrument
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
Looks interesting... from one video, it is not full MPE support. It does not seem to have Timbre. Or maybe it has Timbre in some mode or another.

Bit too much changing and flashing lights, but I will certainly keep my eye on it. Still waiting on my Osmose, so that is enough for now... plus my Linnstrument
It is an MPE controller. Timbre is expression or modulation or some other continuous controller. MIDI uses continuous controller (CC) messages to transmit expression data, such as that from aftertouch, modulation or XYZ pads (where you control 3 different CCs from the pad).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital ➡️
It is an MPE controller. Timbre is expression or modulation or some other continuous controller. MIDI uses continuous controller (CC) messages to transmit expression data, such as that from aftertouch, modulation or XYZ pads (where you control 3 different CCs from the pad).
My impression from the product page is that Erae Touch does not have Timbre (CC#74) on the Y axis. That is to say I watched the videos I could find and did not see it. What I did see is people sliding pitch vertically too.

So that is why I think it doesn't do Timbre. And if that is so, then it is not the full MPE spec.
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Head

I haven't read through the Erae's promised specs in a while, but as I recall, its programmability allows for assigning CC's in a flexible way, meaning that you can assign what you choose to X, Y, and Z per user-defined region. Sensel Morph allows the user to create regions, so Erae Touch was like a souped up Morph, as I recall. LinnStrument, on the other hand, has 200 fixed regions, namely the pads. MPE just means that you have X, Y, and Z modulation always available without specifying which CC's you want them to modulate; Y controlling CC 74 is nothing more than a common assignment. The other thing that makes a controller MPE is that it sends out all that continuous CC info on multiple channels simultaneously, keeping them intelligently separated so that you modulate X, Y, and Z by channels independently, for example polyaftertouch via the Z axis. I don't know if there's a minimum number of channels that makes a controller considered officially MPE or not, but the number of channels should match what the synth can handle, which is often 8, but can also be 4 (Vermona PerFourmer), or 16.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
You aren't missing much from the Roli ... mine is dusty on a shelf ... the Linnstrument is in front of me on my desk ...
the attraction of the Roli was that I could have a traditionnal keyboard layout ( my brain just thinks better on that). but I see that the Erae can mimick that as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone here got theirs ? How's your experience ? I'm still on the fence on this..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Supposed to be shipping this month last time I checked, so hopefully within a month a few people should have received theirs and be able to write up a review.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

This message went out to backers today:

Last week we received some good news from our supplier: our missing LED drivers are finally available! They are now ready to be assembled on the PCBs.
Our development and production chain went through several iterations of testing and improvements with the same partners building our PCB and Silicone parts. Those parts have already arrived and as the assembled PCBs arrive in the coming weeks, we will start mounting your ERAE Touch:

Back Panel - PCB - Silicone Layers

Of course we stayed busy over the last two months and reworked our force sensor design quite a bit. This resulted in a satisfying Signal to Noise Ratio improvement, allowing to lower the sensors detection hard floor level.

We also added a calibration tool that will allow you to improve the sensitivity threshold of your instrument dynamically. Like on a real instrument, the ERAE Touch needs to be « re-tuned » with this calibration after you travel with it.

Here is a sneak peek from our Expert Manual calibration tool:

Expert Calibration

Here is another look at one of the user manual diagrams on the Navigation with the main screens and settings using the Side Buttons :

Navigation Screens and Actions

At last, we are designing the test bench, with custom tools to test every sensing cells and their consistency and homogeneity:

Homogeneity test bench : Checking a consistent output from the FSR with a weighted system

We know these updates might lead to some new questions on the ERAE Touch functionalities, but don't worry everything will be explained thoroughly in our manual. It is a matter of weeks now for you to receive it.

So from the shipping from our factories to our office for final assembling and extra quality test time we are now confident we will start shipping mid-May. We know we are adding another little delay but everything is in our hands and there is no unknown arrival time from our suppliers anymore.

Again we promise it will be worth the wait!

On a last note, remember to look into your mail box in the coming weeks as we will be sending the final surveys with a request to send all your contact and delivery informations.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I put in an order a while ago. I don't remember getting this message in my emails. Maybe I was one of the late ones?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This thing looks interesting.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ordered one as well a while ago. I haven’t seen that email either. In any case, I have high hopes for this as to me it would be an all in one solution. Glad to see this thread here.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital ➡️
I put in an order a while ago. I don't remember getting this message in my emails. Maybe I was one of the late ones?
Project update #9 at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gistered_users

I've been a Kickstarter backer on other projects, but never received the updates via email while other backers did. Apparently, it's a Kickstarter glitch.
📝 Reply