The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 2nd July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
That's called "doing it the hard way"... or is that "the expensive way"?

Are you going to keep both?

The camera angle makes the P10 look physically larger than the P5.
Actually if he sells the P5 it is the cheapest option (assuming he is selling the P5 at the price he bought it).

The main reason is, that the upgrade board is extremly expensive. (more than the difference between a P5 and a P10). $899 + Tax ...
Old 3rd July 2022
Deleted f702406
I love my prophet 5 with 10 voices. I can understand people having a different preference.
Old 3rd July 2022
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I would have likely got the P10 if the split/dual mode were announced future features at launch, but I’m happy with the P5 + voice card. It is so worth the upgrade to the P5. I agree it would have been nice if they included the badge, but I am not sure if I would have the confidence to swap it without screwing it up, like putting it on crooked lol.
Old 3rd July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
And, the badge is recessed into the wood, so you'd have to first pry out the existing badge before replacing it with the new one. It would be very difficult to pry out the old one without leaving a mark on the wood.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoRoom ➡️
And, the badge is recessed into the wood, so you'd have to first pry out the existing badge before replacing it with the new one. It would be very difficult to pry out the old one without leaving a mark on the wood.
I could get it off there with some steam, masking tape and a sharp dentist's pick. But the screen printing on the back, though, that's a different issue.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
The camera angle makes the P10 look physically larger than the P5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC ➡️
It does but they are exactly the same size.
You're not fooling us.
You got the exclusive, limited edition, highly coveted Korg MicroProphet with minikeys, and you weren't telling anybody!
Old 4th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➡️
I would have likely got the P10 if the split/dual mode were announced future features at launch, but I’m happy with the P5 + voice card. It is so worth the upgrade to the P5. I agree it would have been nice if they included the badge, but I am not sure if I would have the confidence to swap it without screwing it up, like putting it on crooked lol.
Given that split/dual were developed after, what's the chances that we could see each split capable of being accessed via different MIDI channels? If so, a voice card would be an insta-buy!!
Old 5th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerErris ➡️
Actually if he sells the P5 it is the cheapest option (assuming he is selling the P5 at the price he bought it).

The main reason is, that the upgrade board is extremly expensive. (more than the difference between a P5 and a P10). $899 + Tax ...
Difference in retail pricing on Sweetwater is USD$800. So it's $100 extra to do it via the upgrade.

That seems completely reasonable to me (so reasonable I actually did it).

Why would you assume the used P5 will fetch full retail value?
Old 7th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tried any of the desktop Decksaver covers for their P5r4 module? They sell covers specifically for the Rev2, P6, and OB-6, but not the P5. Looking at the physical dimensions from Sequential's website, it looks like the P6 chassis has exactly the right depth and is 0.5" wider than the P5, so I think that should work, but if anyone can confirm that'd be awesome.
Old 8th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrjizer ➡️
Has anyone tried any of the desktop Decksaver covers for their P5r4 module? They sell covers specifically for the Rev2, P6, and OB-6, but not the P5. Looking at the physical dimensions from Sequential's website, it looks like the P6 chassis has exactly the right depth and is 0.5" wider than the P5, so I think that should work, but if anyone can confirm that'd be awesome.
I have the black vinyl cover from DigitalDeckCovers for my P10rev4 module, and it works great.
Old 8th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Rev 4 as hardware controller for VSTi?

Anyone successfully using the Rev 4 as a hardware controller for VSTi, ideally in Cubase?
Try as I might I cannot assign the Rev 4 filter cutoff knob to the same parameter on a soft synth. I can map all other Rev 4 knobs to whatever VSTi parameter I like, but the filter cutoff knob stubbornly refuses.
For example, it will only control Osc 2 Fine Pitch on the Arturia P5. It will only control some random switch (can’t remember which one) on the Waldorf PPG 3.V..
I’ve tried using Quick Controls in Cubase and the Learn function with Arturia.
I must be doing something wrong but it’s weird that only the Rev 4 filter cutoff refuses to play ball.

Any advice very welcome!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by le bouch ➡️
Anyone successfully using the Rev 4 as a hardware controller for VSTi, ideally in Cubase?
Try as I might I cannot assign the Rev 4 filter cutoff knob to the same parameter on a soft synth. I can map all other Rev 4 knobs to whatever VSTi parameter I like, but the filter cutoff knob stubbornly refuses.
For example, it will only control Osc 2 Fine Pitch on the Arturia P5. It will only control some random switch (can’t remember which one) on the Waldorf PPG 3.V..
I’ve tried using Quick Controls in Cubase and the Learn function with Arturia.
I must be doing something wrong but it’s weird that only the Rev 4 filter cutoff refuses to play ball.

Any advice very welcome!
I'd first check you're not in NRPN transmit mode, then the cutoff should send CC 73.
Don't have Cubase, but it is working fine with Arturia plugs in Logic here.
Does Cubase use some MIDI input to automate commands perhaps?
Rebooting everything is an old favourite!

EDIT: also I think there is a MIDI monitor plugin in Cubase you can put on a track to see what incoming MIDI messages are, so you could check you're getting CC73 from the Prophet.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia ➡️
I'd first check you're not in NRPN transmit mode, then the cutoff should send CC 73.
Don't have Cubase, but it is working fine with Arturia plugs in Logic here.
Does Cubase use some MIDI input to automate commands perhaps?
Rebooting everything is an old favourite!

EDIT: also I think there is a MIDI monitor plugin in Cubase you can put on a track to see what incoming MIDI messages are, so you could check you're getting CC73 from the Prophet.
Thanks for the reply. Def not in NRPN mode, and the Prophet is sending CC73 as expected. It just won’t map to the parameter I want - usually filter cutoff, as you’d expect.

Weird. So, to confirm - you can deffo map the P5 filter cutoff knob to the Arturia P5 filter cutoff parameter within Logic?

I’m away from the studio at present but will try a hard reset as you suggest!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wasn’t there an OS update in progress that would help with Soundtower’s support for stacking/split key? Did that ever get released?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by le bouch ➡️
Thanks for the reply. Def not in NRPN mode, and the Prophet is sending CC73 as expected. It just won’t map to the parameter I want - usually filter cutoff, as you’d expect.

Weird. So, to confirm - you can deffo map the P5 filter cutoff knob to the Arturia P5 filter cutoff parameter within Logic?

I’m away from the studio at present but will try a hard reset as you suggest!
In Logic I’ve just tested with Jup8 and Prophet plugs from V Collection 8, all good, don’t have 9 yet, but I can try it with the demo version over the w/e.
Old 9th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
Wasn’t there an OS update in progress that would help with Soundtower’s support for stacking/split key? Did that ever get released?
Not yet. Hoping that's coming soon.
Deleted 7f2cf6c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station2station ➡️
Nice demonstration! - a bit off on a tangent but the Prophet 6 has a LP and HP filter and if you enable both and spread them apart correctly you do get a bandpass effect which is pretty close to OB6 filter territory.

...and if you have good dexterity and can turn two knobs, you can sweep the band.
Or you can just use the filter envelope to sweep the filters.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
Not yet. Hoping that's coming soon.
Cool, glad that things have been stable so far and i’m sure there’ll be a lot there and/ or trying to refactor without breaking existing patches.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC ➡️
PSA

I feel it necessary to retract this comment ASAP before I mislead anyone that might come across this post.

There is nothing "bright" about this synth - In fact, it's soft and dreamy.

It turns out it's just how I play, and I'm not used to this TP/8s yet.

In each case I thought it was overly bright, it was when velocity was routed to filter

And I've always played my keyboards as percussion instruments.

It was just my playing style and unfamiliarity with the velocity on this keyboard.

My apologies.

Greg
I find it very disturbing that you can order from Sweetwater *NOW* and get serial number #7 - that doesn't seem like it should be possible. Part of the reason to wait and order something later is to get a more recent production batch. I guess they never ran out of their original allocation?
Old 10th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 ➡️
I find it very disturbing that you can order from Sweetwater *NOW* and get serial number #7 - that doesn't seem like it should be possible. Part of the reason to wait and order something later is to get a more recent production batch. I guess they never ran out of their original allocation?
Easy to speculate as to how this might have happened, but I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.

I would imagine that many of the larger dealers sent their early stock back to Sequential for the resistor update (Carson from Sequential confirmed upthread that this one had been updated).

Just guessing, but I can't imagine that sequential updated these in sequential order (pun intended) and just shipped them back out to dealers when they had been updated.

Obviously it hadn't simply been sitting in SW's warehouse for a couple years...

The fact that it's been updated, and is one of the very first units off the line lead me to this assumption.

It came to me factory sealed and not marked as a refurb or in any other special way.

Anyhow - I think it's kind of cool

HAGWE!

Greg
Lives for gear
Quote:
In Logic I’ve just tested with Jup8 and Prophet plugs from V Collection 8, all good, don’t have 9 yet, but I can try it with the demo version over the w/e.
Yeah works fine here with Prophet 5 in VC9 also.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah works fine here with Prophet 5 in VC9 also.
Thanks. I’ve just tried it with the standalone Arturia plugins and it all works fine. It’s some sort of Cubase weirdness - something to do with the Quick Controls, I think.
Old 10th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never played Zelda, so this was new for me. Just thought it was too gorgeous not to post (not mine):

Old 11th July 2022
Gear Nut
Has anyone uploaded their own scales to a rev4? How does it work / what standard does it support? TIA
Old 12th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Uh oh.. .having a weird issue using logic the P10. so far for over a year its been perfect.

Now, when I select a different track inside logic (or do anything for that matter), it's somehow sending a cc change message to the prophet, causing the fine tune of OscB to go wayyyy out. I can't pinpoint what exactly is happening. Tried unplugging other midi synths etc to no avail. Any ideas?
Old 12th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobysnax ➡️
Uh oh.. .having a weird issue using logic the P10. so far for over a year its been perfect.

Now, when I select a different track inside logic (or do anything for that matter), it's somehow sending a cc change message to the prophet, causing the fine tune of OscB to go wayyyy out. I can't pinpoint what exactly is happening. Tried unplugging other midi synths etc to no avail. Any ideas?
So, this is weird…

My P5 / Cubase / CC issues as described a few posts up feature Osc2 Fine Tune also. When sending Filter Cutoff CC from P5 it was changing both that and Osc2 Fine Tune parameters on VSTi’s…
Old 13th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Happy to share that my Prophet 10 came in perfect shape. Firmware update went fast and smooth. It is such an amazing instrument. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10-5cbd1f0b-2b32-40f5-83f6-6f970c44e664.jpeg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Please correct me if I am wrong- I lost track of this very long thread some time ago...
Is it accurate that ALL desktop specimens DO NOT have the resistor problem?
Thank you
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo ➡️
Please correct me if I am wrong- I lost track of this very long thread some time ago...
Is it accurate that ALL desktop specimens DO NOT have the resistor problem?
Thank you
You're right that the extra capacitors didn't make their way to the desktop units, but I think you'd have to work really hard to find a keyboard unit that still had that problem now. It was only early units and Sequential made it very easy to get them fixed.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange ➡️
Happy to share that my Prophet 10 came in perfect shape. Firmware update went fast and smooth. It is such an amazing instrument. :-)
Another beauty!
📝 Reply