New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10 - Page 300 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️
Corners being too sharp is something that annoys me a bit - if I ever have to replace the wooden frame of my Prophet 10 I would definitely ask for more round edge. Maybe some exotic wood, too.
It is easy to stick the urethane corner guard with double-sided tape.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
Isn't it like this to stay faithful to the original in looks/feel?

Can't say I've been bothered by the wood on this (nor on my ex polysix that had similar 'sharp' edges but of the much poorer veneer cladded chipboard kind ).

Maybe I'm too busy touching the knobs and playing the keys to have noticed (and I don't move it around much and I make sure nothing 'dings it up' anyway). a fair note but I'd rather have it LOOKING like it does, than worry about a corner I'm never gonna touch.
The thing is that I have the habit to touch the left and right corners while I'm playing solo or bass (opposite hands) or the top panel edge when I am adjusting the knobs at the top row (cutoff, resonance and others...) and it annoys me ever so slightly but these are very minor "issues" and cannot take away anything from an otherwise amazing synthesizer. It's just that I'd like them to be a bit more round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
It is easy to stick the urethane corner guard with double-sided tape.
Sacrilege!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sacrilege!
Gear Maniac
If you cut pool noodles lengthwise, they can be duck-taped for protection and give a unique look to the instrument.

But seriously, there is too much talk about wood in this thread and I'll stop about that now...

I got my P10 while on vacation, and I still haven't been able to plug it into my studio. However, I'm noticing that plugging in headphones sounds mono in headphone out, and noticeably wider in line out. I am guessing this means that line out is balanced, with the signal being 180deg out of phase in left and right ears. Manual says the output is unbalanced. Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this?

PS I'm not sure why this message board is hijacking the word headphones and capitalizing it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognistudio ➡️
Who is actually making these synths? I believe Sequential has only 19 employees, so I assume if they are making anything at all, it is perhaps just final assembly and QC?
Oompaloompas?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sacrilege!
https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/s...on-fiber-plate

If there is a custom demand, the carbon frame is also strong, so it looks good. I hope it will be commercialized. I think it's expensive, but I think it has a different appeal from the texture of wood.
The price tag class for this instrument is likely to be a matching custom product.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognistudio ➡️
If you cut pool noodles lengthwise, they can be duck-taped for protection and give a unique look to the instrument.

But seriously, there is too much talk about wood in this thread and I'll stop about that now...

I got my P10 while on vacation, and I still haven't been able to plug it into my studio. However, I'm noticing that plugging in headphones sounds mono in headphone out, and noticeably wider in line out. I am guessing this means that line out is balanced, with the signal being 180deg out of phase in left and right ears. Manual says the output is unbalanced. Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this?

PS I'm not sure why this message board is hijacking the word headphones and capitalizing it.
Yes it is TRS but it's not balanced, some details here New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTQO524 ➡️
This is commonly known as an impedance balanced output. It will drive unbalanced and balanced cables equally well. The advantage (with TRS jacks) over a fully active differential output is that it does not waste power when the ring is shorted to ground by an unbalanced cable.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
Isn't it like this to stay faithful to the original in looks/feel?

Can't say I've been bothered by the wood on this (nor on my ex polysix that had similar 'sharp' edges but of the much poorer veneer cladded chipboard kind ).

Maybe I'm too busy touching the knobs and playing the keys to have noticed (and I don't move it around much and I make sure nothing 'dings it up' anyway). a fair note but I'd rather have it LOOKING like it does, than worry about a corner I'm never gonna touch.
off topic, but i just love your profile avatar picture. It just looks so incredibly sexy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
off topic, but i just love your profile avatar picture. It just looks so incredibly sexy.

I thought you have bought a Prophet already! Are you waiting for the OB-X maybe?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I thought you have bought a Prophet already! Are you waiting for the OB-X maybe?
haha good one, and sharp on a Friday.

I haven't bought it yet. Yes I am waiting it out to see what Sequential's next move is to be honest. And also, I need to sell some more synths before I allow myself to get the Prophet 10. It's hard though! lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
haha good one, and sharp on a Friday.

I haven't bought it yet. Yes I am waiting it out to see what Sequential's next move is to be honest. And also, I need to sell some more synths before I allow myself to get the Prophet 10. It's hard though! lol.
It is, especially if you have synths that you are familiar with and do their job. If you have second thoughts however, about said synths, I'd gladly suggest on what to unload in order to finance this/these jool/jools.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It is, especially if you have synths that you are familiar with and do their job. If you have second thoughts however, about said synths, I'd gladly suggest on what to unload in order to finance this/these jool/jools.

great, what do you think?

there are a few options. Already sold my Prophet 08.
Now these are awaiting judgement day: absolutely mint Korg PE1000 (not even yellowed buttons), Roland Space Echo 201, Prophet X, Yamaha SY77, Prophet 12, Erica Synths ZEN DELAY (dont use it that much tbh) .

And a Fender Jazz Bass (who needs guitars anyway! lol)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
great, what do you think?

there are a few options. Already sold my Prophet 08.
Now these are awaiting judgement day: absolutely mint Korg PE1000 (not even yellowed buttons), Roland Space Echo 201, Prophet X, Yamaha SY77, Prophet 12, Erica Synths ZEN DELAY (dont use it that much tbh) .

And a Fender Jazz Bass (who needs guitars anyway! lol)
I do have a feeling that Sequential will continue developing the Prophet X since that collaboration with Dio didn't really go very well. Besides you can always find another one if you really want it that much.

Prophet 12: When (or if) you get the Prophet, you'll forget all about the P12. I am not saying it's not a good synth, but the P5/P10 is *amazing*. Again if you miss the P12 you can always find another one.

I would keep the SY77, especially if it's in good condition.

I would definitely keep the Korg PE1000 and maybe the Roland Space Echo 201.

Regarding the Zen Delay... I happen to have a Moog MF-104z and I don't use it much either. Yes, it has that dark tone, modulation is very smooth, but that dark tone can be approximated very nicely with a good EQ and if I want very smooth modulation I could always use specific delay modules in my H8000-FW. I am not sure about that Zen Delay, so I will make things even harder for you: Sell the Space Echo 201 and the Zen Delay and get an EchoFix EF-X2.

https://www.thomann.de/gr/echo_fix_e...YaAurgEALw_wcB

This instantly replaces the Space Echo and it's so much more. Plus the guy who makes them knows the Space Echo more than Roland does. A bit pricey but it looks and sounds gorgeous. I am trying to convince myself that I don't need it or want it, but I don't succeed very well

PS. Get rid of the Fender Jazz Bass, too, if you don't use it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I do have a feeling that Sequential will continue developing the Prophet X since that collaboration with Dio didn't really go very well. Besides you can always find another one if you really want it that much.

Prophet 12: When (or if) you get the Prophet, you'll forget all about the P12. I am not saying it's not a good synth, but the P5/P10 is *amazing*. Again if you miss the P12 you can always find another one.

I would keep the SY77, especially if it's in good condition.

I would definitely keep the Korg PE1000 and maybe the Roland Space Echo 201.

Regarding the Zen Delay... I happen to have a Moog MF-104z and I don't use it much either. Yes, it has that dark tone, modulation is very smooth, but that dark tone can be approximated very nicely with a good EQ and if I want very smooth modulation I could always use specific delay modules in my H8000-FW. I am not sure about that Zen Delay, so I will make things even harder for you: Sell the Space Echo 201 and the Zen Delay and get an EchoFix EF-X2.

https://www.thomann.de/gr/echo_fix_e...YaAurgEALw_wcB

This instantly replaces the Space Echo and it's so much more. Plus the guy who makes them knows the Space Echo more than Roland does. A bit pricey but it looks and sounds gorgeous. I am trying to convince myself that I don't need it or want it, but I don't succeed very well

PS. Get rid of the Fender Jazz Bass, too, if you don't use it.
thanks !

i have 2 Korg PE1000. So i think i should sell one though.

Interesting view on the Yamaha SY77. It is a treasure, the sounds are irreplaceable that is for sure.
It can only be replaced by a TG77 I think, otherwise yeah I agree i must keep it.

The Prophet 12 is a difficult one. It's still one of my favorite synthesizers, i love the digital and analog hybrid sound it has, versus what anybody else says. I just think it's a special and unique synth. It won't replace pure analog sound though. This is why I already sold the P08.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was at the store the other day and took the P6 for a spin after owning a P5R4 for couple months.. sorry to say it felt so cramped and the knobs cheap with poor range.. worst was the sound, really flat and sterile with the FX turned off. I was quite shocked as in comparison videos the sonic variation wasn't so obvious but in real-world it's night & day imo. Pro 3 is a whole different story, GASing hard on that one.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have had the prophet 10 for a month, and now two keys are making spring sounds when pressed. It does not affect the produced sound and is noticed more when I turn the synth off. Is this an expected problem?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Vision ➡️
This is BRILLIANT - thanks so much for posting!
Hi, Remote Vision

I have attached WAV.
This is Arturia Prophet V3.

How is the atmosphere of the sound?
Attached Files

Arturia_Prophet_V3_sound_like_a_Richard_Barbieri.wav (6.39 MB, 1260 views)

Arturia_Prophet_V3_sound_like_a_Richard_Barbieri.mp3 (743.9 KB, 1410 views)

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How is the atmosphere of the sound?
You've got a great ear for those sounds. Reminiscent, but also their own thing.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Vision ➡️
You've got a great ear for those sounds. Reminiscent, but also their own thing.

Hi, Remote Vision

I have attached a 2 reference image of the patch settings.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10-patch_example_01-.jpg   New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10-patch_example_02-.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

After this current batch of LFEs, it'll be a very long time until the next batch. OLEDs are on 9 month lead time and I haven't thought about ordering any yet. Other parts may be worse. I've got all the parts I need for this batch but if you want an LFE and don't get in soon, you will be looking for a second hand one or waiting a year or more.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by styphon ➡️
I have had the prophet 10 for a month, and now two keys are making spring sounds when pressed. It does not affect the produced sound and is noticed more when I turn the synth off. Is this an expected problem?
Mine was the same with around 6 keys.
Took it apart. Took the springs off. Stretched them just a bit, then put them back and rotated them. After that the noise was gone.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi, Remote Vision

I have attached a 2 reference image of the patch settings.

Thanks.
Thanks for sharing! I think I'd read recently on Twitter than Richard and Steve Jansen are working together on a new album. Thinking that will be amazing.
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
I was at the store the other day and took the P6 for a spin after owning a P5R4 for couple months.. sorry to say it felt so cramped and the knobs cheap with poor range.. worst was the sound, really flat and sterile with the FX turned off. I was quite shocked as in comparison videos the sonic variation wasn't so obvious but in real-world it's night & day imo. Pro 3 is a whole different story, GASing hard on that one.
Funny, i went in guitar center the other day and they had a r4 there i played for the first time ever.. I was surprised it wasn't as earth shattering as i was expecting.. In fact i thought i preferred my p6 and couldn't wait to get back home to make sure i wasn't crazy.. I get what your saying though.. Just not my cup of tea i guess.. Great synth, but i felt kinda boring? Big but love how p6 has a refined sound i guess more modern.
Old 22 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
Funny, i went in guitar center the other day and they had a r4 there i played for the first time ever.. I was surprised it wasn't as earth shattering as i was expecting.. In fact i thought i preferred my p6 and couldn't wait to get back home to make sure i wasn't crazy.. I get what your saying though.. Just not my cup of tea i guess.. Great synth, but i felt kinda boring? Big but love how p6 has a refined sound i guess more modern.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. The P5R4 isn't an instant gratifying synth and I see too how it could seem boring in comparison to other modern synths and including previous Prophet series.

The lack of arp/seq means its a players synth and lack of FX means you're going to have to put it through a signal chain if you want that processed sound that most modern synths have straight out the box.

But I maintain that for me the layout, controls, build quality and bare sound is a step above the P6 imho. Not saying the P6 is weak or irrelevant, I was just surprised at how much more I prefer the R4..
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
Thought the same when mine showed up and I unboxed and set it up. That's it? Really? After about a month, though, I liked it more than my OB6.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
Thought the same when mine showed up and I unboxed and set it up. That's it? Really? After about a month, though, I liked it more than my OB6.
I found the Rev 4 sound immediately more lively and interesting than the OB6, more “analogue” to me, even with vintage on 4.

The OB6 I like for some patches, but not convinced the core sound is much better than software. Very interested in how the OB-X might turn out.
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
The P5R4 isn't an instant gratifying synth and I see too how it could seem boring in comparison to other modern synths and including previous Prophet series.
I know you don't mean that, it's me you're talking to.

I'm sure you're in the same boat based on other post you've made in the past, same for me I've clocked a lot of time on older synths that if you're lucky they have but a chorus effect, and I love it.

That said the P5/10 rev4 is pretty instantly gratifying to me and then some.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
I know you don't mean that, it's me you're talking to.

I'm sure you're in the same boat based on other post you've made in the past, same for me I've clocked a lot of time on older synths that if you're lucky they have but a chorus effect, and I love it.

That said the P5/10 rev4 is pretty instantly gratifying to me and then some.
Indeed. I always turn off FX when evaluating a synth. And the superb P5R4 sound quality is obviously there from the get-go.

That said, I can understand how for some users the lack of an arp/seq, 1 LFO, 5 voices and other limitations due to the 40-year-old design may portray the P5 as a "boring" synth in relation to modern synths, even within the prophet series.

Obviously not my personal opinion, as indeed I'm an old-school synth aficionado and often times less is more. And also like I said to me the P5 >>> P6 even though on paper the P6 wins.
📝 Reply