Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave Smith just backslapped everybody!

Emulate this, B!tches!
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
They're running out of numbers to put next to the Prophet name.
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
If someone offered me a 1:1 trade of my Prophet 6 for this new Prophet 5, I would not take it.
Its a tough call. 61 keys is cool, but so much damn wood.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth ➡️
Could be a typo, but if you go here:

https://yo41t1y5gos9jw8f3lptw0xo-wpe...-Chart-5.0.pdf

It says "yes" under "Desktop Version Available" for the P5+P10.
Please, don't let it be a typo. Please, don't let it be a typo.
Gear Head

damn just out of nowhere. i doubt i’ll ever own one, but i’m really excited for more people to potentially have access to such a coveted synth. what a cool surprise
Here for the gear
According to this there should be a desktop version as well:

Let's hope it's correct
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Maniac

Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
If someone offered me a 1:1 trade of my Prophet 6 for this new Prophet 5, I would not take it.
You would think I would be mad.. But no.. I'm not.. I prefer my p6 too.. this might have more mojo or whatever.. but that's not really what I want from this.. I love the p6 sound.. Is so bubbly and beautiful.. plus you get a sequencer and all kinds of other modern stuff I love.. u think there is enough room for both.. plus the fact the p6 is a full $800 less for another voice and a very close feature set..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 ➡️
Prices?
$3.5k and $4.3k MAP.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dave Smith doesn't clone his synths except when he does.

Anything better than P6?
Why does it cost that cosmic amount of money?
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ordered a P10 20 minutes ago..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Hmmm, but natural oscillator drift IS a pretty random thing (in a not digitally controlled oscillator), no? More like slow brownian motion.
It has the same oscillator parts as the original. Natural oscillator drift is still there. You were speaking of the Vintage knob which is not a slop parameter.

We analyzed a bunch of different Prophet REV2s and REV3s and found that they all had a unique sound. We identified several key parameters which affect this and mapped them to the Vintage knob in varying amounts to simulate the older instruments. Again, it's not a randomized slop parameter like that on the Prophet 6 and OB-6. It's quite musical across its entire range and really gives the experience of using a vintage Prophet 5.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui ➡️
So, Pym, chances for a module?

And what happens to P6 now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by satatek ➡️
So many prophet 6 owners must be mad esp those who bought it recently
Space be damned, I will make room for this keyboard. The SQ-80 goes into my bed so the new Prophet takes it place.

I know I'm letting go of my Prophet-6 module now. Never mind I'm giving up the high-pass filter and the subtle character of saw vs. triangle core oscillators. I remember seeing on the Retro Synth Ads blog an ad for the Juno-6 that said "arouse the musician in you". Well, the new Prophet-5 / 10, just the whole package, arouses the musician in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL ➡️

Per sweetwater
The hardest part is whether I can justify the $800 for the five extra voices. If the 10 had dual/split, it'd be a no-brainer, but it doesn't look like it, and five voices was certainly good enough back in the day.

Saving the last of my nice tequila for when I get this.
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Barry who??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL ➡️
When the poly pro 3 comes out they will have me.
The P~5 and 10 rebirth is definitely something to behold. But this is where my heart is. I'd still rather have a P~6 or OB-6 right now, but when that PolyPro hits, my wallet will be ready. Hopefully.

Maybe EvilDraggy and teched will post their gripe about slop one more time in case anyone missed it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by satatek ➡️
So many prophet 6 owners must be mad esp those who bought it recently
Not me. I grew up in the Prophet 5 era and I love lots of songs that it's on. But I don't particularly need to have that instrument in my hands. I want a synth that sounds great, feels great and looks great. Oh, and it's a nice bonus if it has a Sequential nameplate and looks somewhat like a classic Prophet. The Prophet 6 checks all those boxes for me.

But I'm glad to see the new Prophet 5 because I know there are tons of people who *must* have a P5. It's a great day for the synth world.
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pretty cool, but 1 LFO. I know just like the original but ... anyway

edit :
Demo sounds really really good !
Gear Maniac

@ cbmd @ Pym this is awesome! Congratulations to all. I’m sure this is going to fly off the shelves.

Is it possible to defeat voices in the 10 so that one could play it like a 5 if so desired?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote from Dave in the video: "I just turned 70, so this is my birthday present to the world."
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Addict
I'd have to see the Vintage knob in action before I thought about trading up from my P6 - but even if I never find myself in the market, still cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think you meant to say "If someone offered me a 1:1 trade of my Prophet 5 for a Prophet 6, I would not take it"
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We literally just talked about that in a meeting, can’t say for sure but it’s on our radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatschmacher ➡️
@ cbmd @ Pym this is awesome! Congratulations to all. I’m sure this is going to fly off the shelves.

Is it possible to defeat voices in the 10 so that one could play it like a 5 if so desired?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatschmacher ➡️

This has been brought up by a couple of people and we'll put it on the list.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheExperience ➡️
According to this there should be a desktop version as well:

Let's hope it's correct
Yes, a module is planned as well
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree ➡️
Quote from Dave in the video: "I just turned 70, so this is my birthday present to the world."
is he giving them away for free then because you dont charge people the cost of the present. if you do it aint a present.
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are the envelopes analog?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is such good news.

How I wish Dave buys the Oberheim IP from Tom

IMAGINE THAT!

And starts building a four-voice some day

And remaking classic Oberheim
Deleted 2c2ba78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
It has the same oscillator parts as the original. Natural oscillator drift is still there. You were speaking of the Vintage knob which is not a slop parameter.

We analyzed a bunch of different Prophet REV2s and REV3s and found that they all had a unique sound. We identified several key parameters which affect this and mapped them to the Vintage knob in varying amounts to simulate the older instruments. Again, it's not a randomized slop parameter like that on the Prophet 6 and OB-6. It's quite musical across its entire range and really gives the experience of using a vintage Prophet 5.
Shut up... SHUT UP! You had me at Prophet...

P10 on order!
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Let's just get this out of the way ..

I love my Prophet 5 rev 3.2, but will drop it in a heartbeat if I can get something that looks and sounds the same in a modern reliable package. Less time cleaning contacts, more time making music. Hurrah!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️

Cool, thanks for more details! Will be interesting to hear it.
📝 Reply