New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10 - Page 288 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch ➡️
So, I got 7/9 correct answers but I'd like us to discuss a bit the envelopes in the Rev 4.

Please have a listen at examples 4A, 4B and notice how the envelopes decay in both examples. The 4B example (which is the rev4) decays more abruptly whereas the 4A has a more natural and smooth decay. I don't know if that simply means that the envelopes could be tweaked a little bit more to match perfectly, but I have oftentimes witnessed this "weird" behavior in my P10. It happens around the 5 mark in the knob's range - it's tricky to make smooth adjustements which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the envelopes' shape. I got the 4A/4B audio examples correct, mostly because it was an educated guess on my part based on the envelopes.

Other users have noticed this behavior, too, and have brought this up in this thread but for some reason it seems not to bother enough to open a ticket with Sequential. What do you guys think?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️
So, I got 7/9 correct answers but I'd like us to discuss a bit the envelopes in the Rev 4.

Please have a listen at examples 4A, 4B and notice how the envelopes decay in both examples. The 4B example (which is the rev4) decays more abruptly whereas the 4A has a more natural and smooth decay. I don't know if that simply means that the envelopes could be tweaked a little bit more to match perfectly, but I have oftentimes witnessed this "weird" behavior in my P10. It happens around the 5 mark in the knob's range - it's tricky to make smooth adjustments which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the envelopes' shape. I got the 4A/4B audio examples correct, mostly because it was an educated guess on my part based on the envelopes.

Other users have noticed this behavior, too, and have brought this up in this thread but for some reason it seems not to bother enough to open a ticket with Sequential. What do you guys think?
You have better ears than I. My score was 6 (and were mostly guesses). I will have to listen to the decay more when I get home (I'm in the woods of Maine right now!) I can't say that I noticed that behavior on mine but I will look for it and report back if it has that quirk.
Lives for gear

I did the blind test, and I found it interesting. I only guessed 3 out of 9, because I consistently heard one unit having more bottom end and being a bit "looser" in tuning and envelopes, so I assumed that was the vintage Prophet. It turned out, it was the rev4!
In the follow-up video, Alex also confirms they heard this and says they were surprised by it, but that's how it is, at least on the 2 units they tested. He didn't mention which Vintage setting they used on the P10, or did I miss it? Also, he didn't mention if his P10 was an early one (if it was not decapped, it may explain the darker tone).

Anyway, I never owned any Prophet but probably one day I will, and in this test I subjectively liked the Rev4 better than the vintage one...that's VERY good news for my finances!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I was wrong too assuming A would be always rev3 and B always rev4. I just thought of that because the filter resonance is umistakingly smoother, creamier, less metallic and fuzzier on the rev3 as in examples 8A/B and 4A/B. The resonant harmonics and are being excited more nicely and even in the rev3 filter sweep.

But when listening for other aspects like voice stealing, envelope behaviour and bass content the differences become clearer - I just didn´t listen for those differences that much as the filter is most important to me.

What do I learn from that? Most aspects of the sound I fell in love with in the 80s are there in the rev4 and at the edges (eq curve, filter resonance, envelopes) the rev3 sounds a bit different. Does this difference make me pay double for a rev3? If I was rich absolutely yes as I´m a vintage nut through and through. But in the current situation my Prophet 600 will just do fine for most sounds.

Maybe the rev4 envelope behaviour coding could still be fine tuned, like OurDarkness mentioned, so that the differences would get even smaller.

I´m also just too curious to see what will be following up from Sequential (or Sequential Circuits inc - I just love the old full name). Just imagine a BIG dual manual Prophet 10 with Sequencer, FX and whatnot - oh my... Then I´ll sell my car to buy it!
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbandtimmy ➡️
You guys are killing me. I’m new to synths and bought the 5 a month ago. $3,500 and then 15% off. I didn’t buy the 10, because in my mind I wanted the original. I didn’t purchase the 5 over the 10 to save money. Now I’m regretting it. I hope they allow you to buy the 5 voice expansion card in the future.
I have a 10 and it’s been in 5 voice mode since the day that firmware came out. Yes, it’s nice having the ability to go to 10 if I want but for the most part 5 voices is the sweet spot. I wouldn't sweat it...the grass is not greener.
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie ➡️
Yeah, I was wrong too assuming A would be always rev3 and B always rev4. I just thought of that because the filter resonance is umistakingly smoother, creamier, less metallic and fuzzier on the rev3 as in examples 8A/B and 4A/B. The resonant harmonics and are being excited more nicely and even in the rev3 filter sweep.

But when listening for other aspects like voice stealing, envelope behaviour and bass content the differences become clearer - I just didn´t listen for those differences that much as the filter is most important to me.

What do I learn from that? Most aspects of the sound I fell in love with in the 80s are there in the rev4 and at the edges (eq curve, filter resonance, envelopes) the rev3 sounds a bit different. Does this difference make me pay double for a rev3? If I was rich absolutely yes as I´m a vintage nut through and through. But in the current situation my Prophet 600 will just do fine for most sounds.

Maybe the rev4 envelope behaviour coding could still be fine tuned, like OurDarkness mentioned, so that the differences would get even smaller.

I´m also just too curious to see what will be following up from Sequential (or Sequential Circuits inc - I just love the old full name). Just imagine a BIG dual manual Prophet 10 with Sequencer, FX and whatnot - oh my... Then I´ll sell my car to buy it!
I'm hoping once they get this and the obx out their system, we can return to pushing synthesis forward.. I want to see truly unique instruments like the prophet x was pretty good idea.. I think that one is special.. But maybe we can explore some new ideas in synthesis.
Lives for gear

This is basically the conclusion to the Rev 4 v Rev 3 Alex Ball test if the responses on this forum are anything to go by

For what it's worth, I got 3, 4 and 8 wrong.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
7 out of 9 for me too. A well-performed test there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice:

Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatervest ➡️
I have a 10 and it’s been in 5 voice mode since the day that firmware came out. Yes, it’s nice having the ability to go to 10 if I want but for the most part 5 voices is the sweet spot. I wouldn't sweat it...the grass is not greener.
Are you finding the voice stealing pleasing? I'm pulling the trigger this month but leaning more towards the 10. I listened to the opening track of the perfect circuit video of the p10 (a video I linked a couple pages back) and that long sustain with the 10 voices is very, very beautiful. The 10 seems like it lends itself a bit more to overall expressiveness, idk.

Last edited by CosmicSurfin; 1 week ago at 08:34 PM.. Reason: grammar
Gear Maniac
I like big 5 note seasick pads that are evocative of the 70s/80s. Without note stealing it’s a big dissonant, muddy mess. I cut down on the release with 10 note Poly to help, but note stealing gets me that sound I like.

As examples, In The Air Tonight and Everything in its Right Place need note stealing to sound correct. They just don’t work properly with 10 voices.
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicSurfin ➡️
Are you finding the voice stealing pleasing? I'm pulling the trigger this month but leaning more towards the 10. I listened to the opening track o the perfect circuit video of the p10 (a video I linked a couple pages back) and that long sustain with the 10 voices is very, very beautiful. The 10 seems like it lends to a bit more expressiveness, idk.
This gets repeated a few times each week but: if you can afford it, get the 10. You have the option of running it in five voice mode if desired. And you have the poly-unison mode that turns it into a stacked set of fives. There's no guarantee Sequential will ever sell an expansion board that turns the five into a ten. If you can swing the extra $800, there is no way you'll regret going for the ten. But there's a chance you may regret getting the five.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
This gets repeated a few times each week but: if you can afford it, get the 10. You have the option of running it in five voice mode if desired. And you have the poly-unison mode that turns it into a stacked set of fives. There's no guarantee Sequential will ever sell an expansion board that turns the five into a ten. If you can swing the extra $800, there is no way you'll regret going for the ten. But there's a chance you may regret getting the five.
If I have ten dollars, I also have five.
Voices are like dollars.
Only they cost more dollars.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem ➡️
If I have ten dollars, I also have five.
Voices are like dollars.
Only they cost more dollars.
Sage advice.

I have opinions, I have an ***hole. ***holes are like opinions, everybody's got one.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
Sage advice.

I have opinions, I have an ***hole. ***holes are like opinions, everybody's got one.
Your ANALogy may be poor, but your conclusion may be sound.
Gear Addict

Pulling the Prophet 5 trigger

Ok, I'm ready to pull the trigger and am going to get a Prophet 5 rev4. Only question is which one should I get...

I've got a Kawai VPC1 for piano keys, and above that is a Matriarch. My two financial and desk space options are:
  1. Get the Prophet 5 module and play via the Matriarch or VPC1, or
  2. Sell the Matriarch and swap the Prophet 5 keyboard for poll position

What would you do and why?
Gear Maniac
1. I miss my Matriarch
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Vision ➡️
I like those sounds - reminiscent of Japan / Tin Drum. I'm just starting to explore that region of sound in the REV2. Any tips? Cheers!
Nice work! Reminds me of Tin Drum era of Japan.
Sounds like a song demo before they took it into the studio to polish it up.
Makes me want to pluck out some Gentlemen takes Polaroids myself…
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiedotwtf ➡️
Ok, I'm ready to pull the trigger and am going to get a Prophet 5 rev4. Only question is which one should I get...

I've got a Kawai VPC1 for piano keys, and above that is a Matriarch. My two financial and desk space options are:

I'm more a player....and the rev 4 has a beautiful feeling keybed with an expanding 5 octave keyboard. One of the nicest keyboards on any synth I'd argue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

1) Sell the Matriarch, get the Prophet 10

2) Eventually get some eurorack modules to replace the Matriarch; there are quite a few that approach the Moog sound.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I'm in the same boat, still deciding between the P5 desktop and the module.

Like CosmicSurfin said, it's an awesome 5-octave keyboard. Plus, bigger knobs! I do believe all that adds a lot to the whole 'experience'. But is that worth the extra grand to you?

Also, do you use the Matriarch very often (since you are willing to sell it)?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are these built better than the P6? My P6 doesn’t feel premium in terms of the pots for example. Can anyone who has both comment pl?

Cheers
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can someone please confirm that the pot shafts are nutted onto the _module_ chassis?

I’ve read they are nutted into the keyboard, but I’m specifically asking about the module versions.

It’s not an easy search to hit on Gearspace nor Google.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigstuely ➡️
I'm in the same boat, still deciding between the P5 desktop and the module.

Like CosmicSurfin said, it's an awesome 5-octave keyboard. Plus, bigger knobs! I do believe all that adds a lot to the whole 'experience'. But is that worth the extra grand to you?

Also, do you use the Matriarch very often (since you are willing to sell it)?
This is hard...

I want "the whole experience", but having the flexibility of the sounds from both machines is a huge advantage.

Apart from playing while noodling and doing sound design, I'll be mostly playing into a sampler so the module is best for my situation... but damn the keyboard is a beauty to look at!

As for the Matriarch, it's funny because after 6 months I never really got along with it - until the day I decided I would sell it. Yesterday I spent 5 hours non-stop playing with it and was able to squeeze awesome sounds from it.

... that's why I thought I'd ask the collective here.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... that's why I thought I'd ask the collective here.
Assistance is futile…
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz ➡️
1) Sell the Matriarch, get the Prophet 10

2) Eventually get some eurorack modules to replace the Matriarch; there are quite a few that approach the Moog sound.
> get the Prophet 10

To be honest, the 10 wasn't even a thought is the price was a bit much... but I'll think about it.

That raises the question as I can't see any YouTube videos - given the number of oscillators, how does the Prophet 10 sound doing a Super Saw? Can anyone who has a 10 please record some trance stabs
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
> get the Prophet 10

To be honest, the 10 wasn't even a thought is the price was a bit much... but I'll think about it.

That raises the question as I can't see any YouTube videos - given the number of oscillators, how does the Prophet 10 sound doing a Super Saw? Can anyone who has a 10 please record some trance stabs
Well here are some stabs with a poly unison detuned saw patch on the P5. You can play 3 note chords in poly unison on the P5 and it is short one voice compared to the P10 doing the same thing. Vintage knob is set to 12 o'clock for some extra slop, there's a little reverb and delay on it too.

ETA: I don't know exactly what a "trance" stab is, this definitely has a more 80s flavour
Attached Files

PolyUnisonSawStabsP5.mp3 (4.11 MB, 906 views)

Last edited by robotecho; 6 days ago at 05:43 AM..
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotecho ➡️
Well here are some stabs with a poly unison detuned saw patch on the P5. You can play 3 note chords in poly unison on the P5 and it is short one voice compared to the P10 doing the same thing. Vintage knob is set to 12 o'clock for some extra slop, there's a little reverb and delay on it too.

ETA: I don't know exactly what a "trance" stab is, this definitely has a more 80s flavour
Thank you for that. Wow, sounds very nice. Definitely a lovely tone coming through there!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is it possible to have the P5 send midi data out from the keyboard only?

I'd love to control a desktop module I have with the P5 but I don't want the volume knob or any other ones to affect the external module, juste the keyboard keys.

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss3000 ➡️
Is it possible to have the P5 send midi data out from the keyboard only?

I'd love to control a desktop module I have with the P5 but I don't want the volume knob or any other ones to affect the external module, juste the keyboard keys.

Thanks!
My P10 hasn’t arrived yet so can’t check. Manual suggests this isn’t possible but is a good idea for a feature request

Quote:
8. Local Control: Off, SOm, ALL—When on (the default), the keyboard and front panel controls directly affect the Prophet-5. When off, the front panel controls are transmitted via MIDI but do not directly affect the “local” synth (that is, the Prophet-5). This is primarily useful for avoid- ing MIDI data loops that can occur with some external sequencers. When set to “SOn ” the front panel controls of the Prophet-5 remain active, but the pitch and mod wheels do not directly affect the “local” synth (that is, the Prophet-5).
📝 Reply