The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensoniq70 ➡️
One question to the module owners here.
Is the magic still there or is the look and feel from the keyboard version the one important Prophet 5/10 advantage?
IMO, everytime I see the full version and all that walnut I feel a tinge of regret. Though, I really appreciate the space savings and I like to program music moreso than playing keys, so that kinda works for me. Also my wallet likes me more.
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No denying the full keyboard version is deja vu classic, but the last thing I really need is another keyboard.
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensoniq70 ➡️
One question to the module owners here.
Is the magic still there or is the look and feel from the keyboard version the one important Prophet 5/10 advantage?
I’m going to say with the desktop modules the magic is there in tone and in spirit. The keyboard version is a bit like sitting down in front of a nice piano. It’s classy and yields old familiar tones.

But I’m going to be brutally honest here, it’s a limited synth by today’s standards. The Prophet 6 is more versatile and if I was working with a budget or limited space where I was looking at a P5 rev 4 desktop module I wouldn’t hesitate to get a P6 desktop version with the P6 now sporting the vintage control.

If you’re looking for more voices it would be a tough call between the two, but the P10 obviously edges out ahead in that race.

The keyboard versions I feel satisfy a geeky lust that I just can’t explain.They look the biz, they sound the biz. Some modern improvements. I mean what’s there not to like? Well maybe the price tag... I do feel they will retain their value and I can’t say that about a lot of synths. I also believe if they do a limited run (which is likely) and based on the Moog Model D reissue they could increase in value? All speculation though.

They make an excellent controller for other models too. My $.02
📝 Reply