The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8311
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamst ➡️
From an authorized dealer in the EU, nonetheless it was not double-boxed and padded as Sweetwater and some other dealers do to ensure that gear is delivered in one piece.
I've seen dealers do that in the US. I'm fairly certain they arrive double boxed to the retailers. A single box is probably adequate the way the synth is suspended in the foam braces. I'd be surprised if the synth sustained damage, though things can come loose in transport. Still, having the retail box intact for something that clearly will be a collector's item in the future is important. Anyways, if it doesn't seem right I'd contact the retailer.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8312
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinamsis ➡️
I'm fairly certain they arrive double boxed
They do.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8313
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB ➡️
LOL at people admittedly not watching the video and then coming here to project what they think they wouldn't like about it. There's even a timestamp for the conclusion, so if you didn't skip to that you are even lazier than the guys who made the video. It is what it says on the tin, which is shooting out the first eight presets of both machines, and of course the implied "come on down and buy your favorite one of our two most expensive synthesizers".

It couldn't be any less controversial, yet here we are thanks to the fake news in the first response post. The biggest fault of this video is that it's late. Anybody who would buy either one of those synths has already heard all those sounds and more.
“admittedly”: I watched the full video back when it was released, conclusion included.
It did not change my mind that it was stupid click bait right from its title “Prophet 10 vs Moog One Shootout”.
And look at the comments it generated.
Some people really draw conclusions based on that. And them spread them everywhere...

Picking random presets on such machines is nonsense. It is the worst thing you could do to give any impression of what it is to work with them.
It’s like picking one random position on a 2600 and saying “that’s how it sounds” without moving any slider during the demo.
The worst thing being that they could have done something much more nuanced and interesting with those 2 beasts. And even if I don’t like him, this Anderson guy has done better videos on single synths testing/playing.
Hopefully there are much better players/synthesists ou there (J3PO, Matt Johnson, Alex Ball, ...) doing quality videos that are simply more intelligent and more useful, or guys who take the time digging deep into technical aspects and sound design.
Which those synths deserve.
Cheers!
[Rant Over]
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8314
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
whereas the 10-voice segment is choosing 4 voices out of 10 to play the sequence
So I want to be clear on this - This happens even when only using 5 keys or less on the P10 ? I was at first thinking what you were proving was when using more than 5 voices/keys on the P10 then this happens. BUT when sticking to 5 or less, it would be identical to the P5 due to the fact you are only using 5 or less voices. Same as P5. ??

But reading into this further, you are showing that this is just the nature of the P10 no matter what ? Even when only using 2-5 keys ?

In that first clip, wow man those chords like mushed into each other on the P10, but very distinguishably and cleanly moved from chord to chord on the P5 with clear definition. I mean that clip was the most night and day to me.

I want to say, neither is bad or good to each other.. Its just definitely different. And sadly both are needed ! So one MUST own a P5 and a P10. Thats all this means to me. If indeed you're saying what I think you're saying.

Added to this question - now does the P10 still do this when you change it to a P5 via the global setting ? And would a P5 do what the P10 does if Dave ends up making a 5 voice expander mod for the P5's turning them into 10's ?

Last edited by Infa; 1 week ago at 08:13 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #8315
Gear Addict
 
Channelizer's Avatar
 
I've added an Arpeggiator to the LFE which is about to go into Beta testing. I've been working hard on adding polyphonic MPE support for the OB-6 and Prophet 6 synths so this is for the Prophet 5 and 10 users whose synths don't have an Arpeggiator!

It runs off either its own internal clock or from a midi clock. It has the usual Up, Down, Up-down, random and played-order modes. It also has a Down-up mode, 4 octave repeats and the gate length can go up to 200% of the note length so that adjacent notes overlap.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8316
Lives for gear
 
21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelizer ➡️
I've added an Arpeggiator to the LFE which is about to go into Beta testing. I've been working hard on adding polyphonic MPE support for the OB-6 and Prophet 6 synths so this is for the Prophet 5 and 10 users whose synths don't have an Arpeggiator!

It runs off either its own internal clock or from a midi clock. It has the usual Up, Down, Up-down, random and played-order modes. It also has a Down-up mode, 4 octave repeats and the gate length can go up to 200% of the note length so that adjacent notes overlap.

Very cool. Any chance of adding an Arp Latch/Hold feature where any notes are held until a new set of note ons are received?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8317
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelizer ➡️
I've added an Arpeggiator to the LFE which is about to go into Beta testing. I've been working hard on adding polyphonic MPE support for the OB-6 and Prophet 6 synths so this is for the Prophet 5 and 10 users whose synths don't have an Arpeggiator!

It runs off either its own internal clock or from a midi clock. It has the usual Up, Down, Up-down, random and played-order modes. It also has a Down-up mode, 4 octave repeats and the gate length can go up to 200% of the note length so that adjacent notes overlap.
Does it has polyphonic sequencer?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8318
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa ➡️
So one MUST own a P5 and a P10.
Now that the P-10 Rev 4 can be limited to using only five of its ten voices, this is no longer an issue. A single P-10 is all one would need to emulate the behavior of a vintage P-5 or a dual manual P-10 in ten-voice, single timbre mode.

As for the other performance modes of the vintage P-10, these could be achieved with 2x Rev 4s and a software or hardware MIDI voice allocator such as Mutable Instruments MIDIpal (or open source variants like MIDIgal).
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8319
Gear Addict
 
Channelizer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
Does it has polyphonic sequencer?
Not yet - it's on the list of things for me to look at when I get chance
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8320
Gear Addict
 
Channelizer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
Very cool. Any chance of adding an Arp Latch/Hold feature where any notes are held until a new set of note ons are received?
Yes - already there ;-)

After all keys are released, the LFE will capture up to 20 new notes and hold them while the Latch is set On. For the above demo, I played 8 notes, turned Latch On (I could also have turned Latch On before I played the notes), went for a coffee, came back and turned the camera on then turned the Arpeggiator on.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8321
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelizer ➡️
Yes - already there ;-)

After all keys are released, the LFE will capture up to 20 new notes and hold them while the Latch is set On. For the above demo, I played 8 notes, turned Latch On (I could also have turned Latch On before I played the notes), went for a coffee, came back and turned the camera on then turned the Arpeggiator on.
Will you please reconsider the possibility of changing the chassis? It seems that too much functionality is already buried... Just as a suggestion.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8322
Gear Addict
 
Channelizer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️
Will you please reconsider the possibility of changing the chassis? It seems that too much functionality is already buried... Just as a suggestion.
More knobs and buttons? Bigger box or just crammed tighter together?

By the way I've added an Aux midi bus that lets you send some of the modulators to a second Aux midi channel. Using this, you can have some control of two devices at the same time. I'm about to enable a separate bank and program change for the Aux channel as well so that selecting a new patch on the synth changes the LFE patch and also sends a different patch change to the Aux device. Then I'm freezing features, testing and releasing.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8323
Gear Nut
 
robotecho's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw ➡️
“admittedly”: I watched the full video back when it was released, conclusion included.
It did not change my mind that it was stupid click bait right from its title “Prophet 10 vs Moog One Shootout”.
And look at the comments it generated.
Some people really draw conclusions based on that. And them spread them everywhere...

Picking random presets on such machines is nonsense. It is the worst thing you could do to give any impression of what it is to work with them.
It’s like picking one random position on a 2600 and saying “that’s how it sounds” without moving any slider during the demo.
The worst thing being that they could have done something much more nuanced and interesting with those 2 beasts. And even if I don’t like him, this Anderson guy has done better videos on single synths testing/playing.
Hopefully there are much better players/synthesists ou there (J3PO, Matt Johnson, Alex Ball, ...) doing quality videos that are simply more intelligent and more useful, or guys who take the time digging deep into technical aspects and sound design.
Which those synths deserve.
Cheers!
[Rant Over]
I watched the full video when it came out and it really made me rethink what I thought about both synths. As in I thought "wow, both those synths are crap!"
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8324
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotecho ➡️
I watched the full video when it came out and it really made me rethink what I thought about both synths. As in I thought "wow, both those synths are crap!"

For the first time, it may be expressed as if you were playing a synthesizer.

He may want to express that people who don't know the value shouldn't buy it.

I think that the feeling of despair at the moment of waking up is great when longing is just an illusion.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8325
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Given this topic is a huge 278 pages, just wondering if there has been a consensus on what might be the best chorus pedal for the P5/10?

Last edited by everglass; 1 week ago at 08:14 PM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8326
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelizer ➡️
More knobs and buttons? Bigger box...
A bigger chassis would definitely make the expander more future-proof in case you want to add more functionality, plus more knobs and buttons, why not?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8327
Lives for gear
 
soundxplorer's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass ➡️
Given this topic is a huge 278 pages, just wondering if there has been a consensus on what might be the best chorus pedal for the P5/10?
I doubt a consensus could ever be reached, but what is your budget?

If you can afford it, go for an Eventide H9 Max because you'll get so much more than chorus - including other stereo-widening tricks like MicroPitch.

The Boss CH-1 Super Chorus is excellent if you just want a dedicated chorus pedal for around $100.

I'm using an old big-box Electro Harmonix Stereo Poly Chorus. It sounds wonderful, though not the cheapest option, plus it is big and requires a special power supply.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8328
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass ➡️
Given this topic is a huge 278 pages, just wondering if there has been a consensus on what might be the best chorus pedal for the P5/10?
Hi,everglass

You can get great effects that you can't get with a pedal.
Check this.
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10 #7402
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10 #7437

I don't know if the kit is complete.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8329
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass ➡️
Given this topic is a huge 278 pages, just wondering if there has been a consensus on the best chorus pedal for the P5/10?

Just about to pick up my P10 from the store and would love to get a wonderful chorus pedal for it.... but where to start?!
Doesn't help, but to my ears it really doesn't need one.

If I was going to get something, I'd make it something Dimension D style - relatively subtle stereo widening rather than anything heavy.

In pedal form maybe the Boss DC-2W? Been thinking of getting TC DD clone for synths in general.

Consensus? On GS?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8330
Lives for gear
 
EBDA1176's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa ➡️
So I want to be clear on this - This happens even when only using 5 keys or less on the P10 ? I was at first thinking what you were proving was when using more than 5 voices/keys on the P10 then this happens. BUT when sticking to 5 or less, it would be identical to the P5 due to the fact you are only using 5 or less voices. Same as P5. ??

But reading into this further, you are showing that this is just the nature of the P10 no matter what ? Even when only using 2-5 keys ?

In that first clip, wow man those chords like mushed into each other on the P10, but very distinguishably and cleanly moved from chord to chord on the P5 with clear definition. I mean that clip was the most night and day to me.

I want to say, neither is bad or good to each other.. Its just definitely different. And sadly both are needed ! So one MUST own a P5 and a P10. Thats all this means to me. If indeed you're saying what I think you're saying.

Added to this question - now does the P10 still do this when you change it to a P5 via the global setting ? And would a P5 do what the P10 does if Dave ends up making a 5 voice expander mod for the P5's turning them into 10's ?


Your problem can't be helped by trying to understand something you fail to understand no matter how many EXPERIENCED synth owners have explained this.

As for 'mushed together', you can 'mush together' a 3 note chord on a P5 if the sound is specifically mushy (long release). Just because it can doesn't mean it has too. Once again, there is a lot more to 6+ polyphony than just 'long release full fat chords' - melody lines (single notes) that are ALL IN KEY but do NOT CUT OFF by the time you hit the 6th note is one example. This sounds awesome on my Prologue 16 (SIXTEEN VOICES!) so the Prophet 10 has no issues and also sounds awesome.

But chords too, are just not a problem, I'm not sure what vendatta still runs though this thread that seems inent on 'defending' a low poly expensive analog in 2021 (5 voices being particularly nasty vs even 6 which is a bridge too far imo) but all of these issues as YOU and a couple of select other (notably prophet 5 owners) see it would be solved/answered/seen as a COMPLETE non issue if you just owned a Rev 4 Prophet 10, witnessed the ultimate flexibility it has over the P5 and stopped searching aimless for 'validation' that 5 is all a synth needs (as if every synth from ~1981 onwards - i.e Jupiter 8... DX7 etc would useless for playing chords on because they breached the "holy chosen perfection of 5 voice poly"), and just accept on a poly synth MORE polypony is ALWAYS better as it provides a MUCH WIDER pallete of playing options INCLUDING the original restrictive and often downright annoying to play "magical 5 voices" those stuck in the past seem to desire.

FWIW when I'm in poly unison mode on the P10 R4 and really digging the sound, I still HATE that it is (then) 5 voice poly and the voices being cut off sound like trash in many many cases... yes.. trash.. to the point I can't use that great sound in the song without seriously reconsidering how to make it flow, sometimes I'll adapt it or... often times I'll just turn off Poly Unison and play it as a 10 voice poly (which other than being double the prophet power sounds much MUCH better than having voices stolen away).

No prophet 10 owner cares much for what people had to struggle through 40 years ago, or the 'novelty' of having that (in)famous 5 voice cut off - occasionally useful for some things - vs the "bringing it up to it's peers level" that the 10 voice poly in the rev 4 P10 has finally delivered to the Prophet "5" family.

The fact is even has the 5 voice mode now for those that really need it, and yet the naysayers still don't bite on the 10 for the 'ultimate' Prophet shows that it was never about ONLY wanting 5 voices and avoidance of this so called magically-never-affected-other-analog-polys-with-high-polyphony "mush" but more about talking themselves out of a SLIGHTLY more expensive version (at this price point god knows why when you're going over £3k anyway... you may as well get something with the legs to run with all your musical requirements and not hem yourself into past constraints).

I guess I just take issue with this 'fact' being touted that just cos one SPECIFIC example provided by someone trying to prove a point is somehow the ONLY possible way a 10 voice poly can move from chord to chord - when all it shows to me is bias. It's just really sad that this is even an issue, esp among a synth loving community that should know better and be better and stop talking people down to their level of commitment (5 voices) which will, believe me, leave MANY people wanting when they discover just HOW often and HOW detrimental 5 voice polyphony can be to many people's playing styles and (not just chords that blend beautifully - yes chords can blend beautifuly too not just as 'mush') ability to play long release lead runs or even a higher stacked unison count (I said before the '7' voices of unison selected on a P10 is a real sweet spot for me for drones and basses - impossible on a 5) and of course, the 5 voices of Poly unison which is a potent super power in a genuine VCO Poly of this quality of sound and at this relatively affordable price point... that would be almost next to useless on a Prophet 5 (the 2+1 voice of 2 oscs seems hella janky to me vs the straight 5 notes of poly all having the 2 voices each with no gotchas).

I think it's time people stopped trying to brand the Prophet 10 as unnecessary or too much, esp by referencing a lot of cheezee and sometimes crappy sounding stuff from the past where they had little choice, now we do... at best just accept the 5 for what it is if it's what you want, if it's what you can afford, if it's all you need and stop slinging mud at the Prophet 10 fgs.. or ANY analog poly with more voices than 5/6 for that matter, because it's only an issue in the hands of an un-nuanced ape and even then only if they INTENTIONALLY try to make it a problem.

Every famous musician and pro-synth-nut on the net I've seen who bought a rev 4, opted for the 10... Many ex P5 owners who sold the P5's bought a P10 - often specifically because they could finally kiss goodbye to what was always the P5's achille's heel.. a poly count that placed it firmly in the 70s and at a major disadvantage even to a lowly juno or polysix.

P10 can sound/act exactly like a P5 (now), that's all there is to it. A P5 will NEVER be able to act like a P10 in various playing styles and full power poly unsion, more aggressive mono unison, and all the other many types of poly works that absolutely requires at least 6 voices, pref 8..and 10 being a real luxury but not over the top.

I for one would never have paid over £3k for 5 voices which is why I never bought a vintage P5 no matter how much I loved the actual tone. Yet I never said Jupiter 8s or Moog 16s sounded like 'mush' either....

A P5 is still a great sounding instrument, one of the best, thanks to the core tone and engine - that doesn't change - so be happy, just also be happy with the limits and sound of note stealing (one of my least favourite sounds in any synth aside from the couple of occasions I've used it -with other 4 voice polys like JD-XA/MS2000 and similar far less great sounding synths than P5/10) because you'll be hearing it a LOT outside of the 'novelty' effect stolen from the early 80s.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8331
Lives for gear
 
EBDA1176's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia ➡️
Doesn't help, but to my ears it really doesn't need one.

If I was going to get something, I'd make it something Dimension D style - relatively subtle stereo widening rather than anything heavy.

In pedal form maybe the Boss DC-2W? Been thinking of getting TC DD clone for synths in general.

Consensus? On GS?
P5/10 absolutely does NOT need chorus.. of all FX it would be the last I'd smother over this beautiful rich tone... save that for the Junos and single osc synths.

Quality verb, touch of delay.. phaser.... yeah - they would be a priority but the rev 4s sound really good (out side of a mix) as they are anyway, very 3D and present...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8332
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
P5/10 absolutely does NOT need chorus.. of all FX it would be the last I'd smother over this beautiful rich tone...
Idk, I think is sounds glorious with a little chorus. Could be very useful in a sparse mix.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8333
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Now that the P-10 Rev 4 can be limited to using only five of its ten voices, this is no longer an issue. A single P-10 is all one would need to emulate the behavior of a vintage P-5 or a dual manual P-10 in ten-voice, single timbre mode.

As for the other performance modes of the vintage P-10, these could be achieved with 2x Rev 4s and a software or hardware MIDI voice allocator such as Mutable Instruments MIDIpal (or open source variants like MIDIgal).
Thanks for the clear and precise response. This is exactly what I was figuring, and hoping. Thank you for confirming this.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8334
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
...... edited, please see post #8330 above for full length original post
Actually, I agree with you. And you seem intelligent about these things.. so with all due respect, you kinda totally missed the point of my question. maisonvague whom I was asking, answered it 100% correctly, and its all I needed to know.

If you missed it, maisonvague posted clips of a P5 playing the same thing a P10 was. Long story short, and completely dumbed down, 10 voices were not sounding exactly the same as 5 voices EVEN WHEN playing identical everything.

As you pointed out, and I agree, this doesn't matter, nor is it a issue. I just had the question is all and wanted a clarification on it. Does switching a P10 to 5 voices in the global param make a P10 sound handle itself (in the above mentioned manner) like a P5 ? Answer is Yes ! Done deal.

Neither is better or worse, it was just a question and the question was specifically molded around maisonvague's clips. So understandably, he would know what I was referring to. But thanks !
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8335
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
I guess I just take issue with this 'fact' being touted that just cos one SPECIFIC example provided by someone trying to prove a point...
So, you still think I was trying to prove a point, do you?



Perhaps you have forgotten that at the time I uploaded those clips there was no option to restrict a Rev 4 P-10 to only five voices.

As one of the few members here with both a vintage P-5 and a dual manual P-10, I recorded them as a courtesy for others, not to prove any points.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8336
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass ➡️
Given this topic is a huge 278 pages, just wondering if there has been a consensus on what might be the best chorus pedal for the P5/10?
I like to use a Moog MF-108M “Clusterflux” chorus with my Prophets, but basically any good sounding chorus will do (“good sounding” being, of course, entirely subjective).

While it’s true, in theory, Prophets can sound great without any FX, in practice I almost never record them without any FX at all. This would be true for any synth really, no matter how good it sounds on its own.

I use the measure “sounds great without any FX” as a starting point, not an ending point.

Does a Prophet "need" chorus? Definitely not. Can it, however, benefit from a touch of chorus, depending on the context? Absolutely!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8337
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Many thanks for the great responses to my Chorus Pedal quest.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8338
Lives for gear
 
soundxplorer's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa ➡️
If you missed it, maisonvague posted clips of a P5 playing the same thing a P10 was. Long story short, and completely dumbed down, 10 voices were not sounding exactly the same as 5 voices EVEN WHEN playing identical everything.
A lot will depend on where that Vintage knob is set.

If you want to hear an exaggerated example of what the Vintage knob does, turn both oscillators down to zero and set the Filter Resonance to max (self-oscillating) and Keyboard Track to Full. So basically you are playing the resonant sine wave as an oscillator.

With the Vintage knob down all the way at 4, you'll get perfect pitch tracking. Turn it up even a little bit and you'll hear how things go out of tune on the filter very quickly.

Poly Unison mode will be affected quite a bit by the Vintage knob. Even playing the same passage twice on the exact same keyboard might not sound the same. But yet, if you turn Vintage down to 4, in Unison mode you'll probably hear more phase cancellation and mush because the voices are too perfectly close to each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
I think it's time people stopped trying to brand the Prophet 10 as unnecessary or too much

I don't even know what posts you are referring to. But I haven't seen any such comment, except maybe people trying to talk themselves out of spending another $1,000. Either way, no need to take it so personally. Enjoy your synth and stop caring about what other people think.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8339
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass ➡️
Many thanks for the great responses to my Chorus Pedal quest.
I went on a chorus discovery quest during the lockdown and ended up with a few.

For analog chorus I really like the Walrus Audio Julia. After I got one they brought out the Juliana, which is an updated version with stereo. I think it sounds great and works well on synths.

I also like the Boss CE-3 if you can find one cheap, otherwise the CE-2W is the Boss chorus to get.

On the digital front I really like the Source Audio Gemini. It’s stereo and has some deep editing (via an app) and can become a Flanger or Phaser.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8340
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer ➡️
A lot will depend on where that Vintage knob is set.

If you want to hear an exaggerated example of what the Vintage knob does, turn both oscillators down to zero and set the Filter Resonance to max (self-oscillating) and Keyboard Track to Full. So basically you are playing the resonant sine wave as an oscillator.

With the Vintage knob down all the way at 4, you'll get perfect pitch tracking. Turn it up even a little bit and you'll hear how things go out of tune on the filter very quickly.

Poly Unison mode will be affected quite a bit by the Vintage knob. Even playing the same passage twice on the exact same keyboard might not sound the same. But yet, if you turn Vintage down to 4, in Unison mode you'll probably hear more phase cancellation and mush because the voices are too perfectly close to each other.
Cool to know - thanks for the info.



Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer ➡️
I don't even know what posts you are referring to. But I haven't seen any such comment, except maybe people trying to talk themselves out of spending another $1,000. Either way, no need to take it so personally. Enjoy your synth and stop caring about what other people think.
You know, for EBDA1176, I think it was a misconception of what the post with the clips and what maisonvague was saying. Again with due respect. But I think he is just totally missing the mark of the conversations and statement meanings. lol Why ? IDK ?

I already own a vintage original P5 v2. So I for sure am getting a new P10 and not even considering a P5.. why would I ? So he doesn't need to worry there. lol No where is anyone saying anything bad about it. Similar to 2 identical cars, but one has a straight 4 cylinder and the other has a V8. Though identical, there will be differences in performance. Pros and cons of both. Simply pointing out and asking what those difference are do not take away any awesomeness or intent to buy from either one. But being educated on it is important. Thats all - its that simple.

I and everyone here is praising the P10 as much as the P5. I see nowhere where anyone is saying the P10 is not as good of a purchase or deal.

You know, again, he did it with the effects thing too. Haha, what this guys problem is IDK. lol - But again, with due respect. He seems to be missing the point of the statement/request. No one said a P5/10 needs anything. But to want some effects on your synth sound every now and again is absolutely a obvious smart engineering decision when mixing a record. To demand none of us use chorus on our Prophets is just plain weird.

Again I think he is just missing the point is all. Taking everything as all or nothing type.

Anyway, on that subject - to rpmedia and everglass , really there is no need for a Prophet specific chorus/effect. Just use the best most tried and true effect boxes and you'll be good. I actually use a lot of good old vintage guitar pedals or outboard gear for this (Mu-Tron, Eventide, Lexicon, MoogerFoogers, AMS-RMX16, etc..). I think they are best. Frankly, if the Prophets came with any onboard effects, or any Sequential specific item, I'd not use them, as them types of things are never as good as the old tried and trues.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 16 views: 5200
Avatar for hemmick reef
hemmick reef 20th February 2006
replies: 209 views: 46168
Avatar for ALESIS-ION
ALESIS-ION 6th December 2016
replies: 51 views: 10973
Avatar for mrgkeys
mrgkeys 8th April 2021
replies: 7514 views: 1006188
Avatar for Jpro600k
Jpro600k 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump