The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajprods ➡️
Anyone else having an issue with the master volume pot on the Prophet 10?
I just did a test with straight sawtooth sweeping the volume knob. Sounds as I would expect it. Just at the very bottom of the range it's a bit jumpy, but that's probably normal behavior for a pot. Once I get past 1 on the volume it sounds totally fine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty ➡️
I just did a test with straight sawtooth sweeping the volume knob. Sounds as I would expect it. Just at the very bottom of the range it's a bit jumpy, but that's probably normal behavior for a pot. Once I get past 1 on the volume it sounds totally fine.
Okay, thanks for checking. What I’m hearing is definitely not normal. I’m still waiting to hear back from Sequential Support on what the fix is.

Last edited by rajprods; 14th December 2020 at 06:38 AM..
Old 14th December 2020
Lives for gear

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
this thread is depressing...

I was *this* close to buying a prophet, my only decision being whether to choose a 5 or 10.

but after reading through ALL this i’m pretty hesitant. A $5,000-7,000 boutique synth (Canadian dollars) should be pretty bulletproof quality-wise.
correct me if i’m wrong but based on serial numbers there’s only a few hundred units in the field. the capacitor and screw issue notwithstanding there seems to be far too many units with what sounds like unacceptable QC issues: loose pots, scratchy pots, keyboard issues, noise, misaligned badges, poor quality wood (this would be particularly unacceptable to me. it’s subjective to some extent but i’m pretty surprised at how poor some units look. walnut heartwood should have nice figuring, no knots, and a relatively uniform dark coloration...like pretty much every vintage prophet) etc...

are these issues anomalies? how many here with flawless units?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Stereo Pan Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
I want to hear it soon.
I look forward to the completion of your amazing version.
Thank you.
It works!

Here's audio of factory patch 312 "Sawyer Sweep" in stereo, then mono for comparison. This is raw audio straight from the P-10, no effects were used.

This unison patch apparently uses just voices 1-5. Voices 1 and 2 are panned hard left, voice 3 is centered, and voices 4 and 5 are panned hard right.
Attached Files

SawyerSweep.wav (5.01 MB, 1779 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrenchRun ➡️
Me, sub-140 unit.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My P10 looks great (I think). You can scroll back a few pages to see what you think of the wood trim on my P10, see here. There are no knots (but I personally wouldn’t care if there were). However, I did notice a small splotch of what I presume to be some excess stain causing a different lighted area (like one inch by 1/16 inch). I don’t think that’s a big deal. My unit does suffer from a loose pot.

I dunno, I knew all these issues going into it and I bought it anyway. Couldn’t be happier with it. I think Sequential will help me out, but really I’m 100% pleased with this synth. Even if Sequential didn’t help me out (I’d be a bit bummed), I still wouldn’t regret my purchase for a second.

Last edited by acemonvw; 14th December 2020 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here's one more piece of audio. Factory patch 118, using all 10 voices, panned as follows:

1 & 2: Hard L and R
3 & 4: Mostly L and R
5: Centered
6 & 7: Hard R and L
8 & 9: Slightly R & L
10: Centered

Again, no effects were used.

I need to do a bit more tweaking on the master VCAs but this should give a flavor of what's possible.

Now I just need to put it on a board....
Attached Files

StereoCelebration.wav (9.68 MB, 1837 views)

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My sub-100 unit was basically flawless, other than the need to remove the extraneous output capacitors (early units only, no longer an issue on later units), which I did myself in about 10 minutes. No loose anything, nameplates all perfect, wood is dark, beautiful with no knots or blems. Couldn't be happier.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
walnut heartwood should have nice figuring, no knots, and a relatively uniform dark coloration...like pretty much every vintage prophet) etc...
This is crazy talk. Heartwood carries no requirement of nice figuring, that's subjective anyway, and pieces of wood with nice figuring are often the opposite of uniform coloration and zero knots. Now look at these vintage Prophets:

My Rev 4 P10 is technically flawless and far more beautiful than either of those synths when it comes to the wood precisely because it looks more natural and less uniform.

As far as the feeling of quality of modern synths that I have personally laid hands on, the Rev 4 and Minimoog reissue are in a league of their own. Rev 4 is certainly better built than any of the vintage synths I have had the displeasure of servicing, and I wouldn't say any different if I had to tighten down some screws or panel nuts.
Here for the gear

This is the internet...people who have problems like to post about them, even if they’re the minority. I just got an immaculate P5 here in Canada. Serial number in the low 500s. Definitely a synth worthy of the asking price.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB ➡️
This is crazy talk. Heartwood carries no requirement of nice figuring, that's subjective anyway, and pieces of wood with nice figuring are often the opposite of uniform coloration and zero knots. Now look at these vintage Prophets:

My Rev 4 P10 is technically flawless and far more beautiful than either of those synths when it comes to the wood precisely because it looks more natural and less uniform.
No, it's not. Just because it isn't your truth don't be so judgemental.
The challenge with buying the rev 4 (and similar synths with wooden elements) is, that it arrives in a sealed package. There's no showroom or store, where you can see exactly what you're going to get.
If I bought a piece of furniture (I know, a synth is not furniture, but stay with me here), and the image showed a dark brownish wood, I wouldn't expect light coloured wood to show up. Also, not everyone is a fan of wood structure as such. I'm ok with wood, especially on synths, but I don't like too much structure, rings etc. And I like it to be dark, like on the Sequential promo shots of the rev 4s (it's like Sequential actually did know how to present these synths the best). Actually I like the look of the vintage Prophet 5's better, than some of the new ones I've seen.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoRoom ➡️
Here's one more piece of audio. Factory patch 118, using all 10 voices, panned as follows:

I need to do a bit more tweaking on the master VCAs but this should give a flavor of what's possible.

Beautiful!!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdave ➡️
Still no answer from my sales rep either, last reply was that they were "expecting a shipment towards the middle of December". We're close to that now. Doesn't help much when I see that g4m has 8 Prophet 5 in stock, get it tomorrow :(
I'd Buy from G4M ASAP but I got such a good 0% finance deal on Music Matter that it'd be silly of me to cancel that (Gear 4 Music is 14.9%! Who the hell goes for that?) - I have the cash but I'd rather keep £3300 in my savings account -- plus I have one of those reward savers that plummets the interest rate if you withdraw and I'd rather not...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In general, I try to avoid wireless-based solutions. They always seem to fail when you need them the most.
Oh absolutely. I avoid wireless solutions on general principle whenever possible. The only wireless solution I ever implemented (or rather, used) was when I built a wireless MIDI interface into my Roland AX Synth:

https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewto...p?f=33&t=37671

Quote:
It would be indeed possible to monitor the DIN MIDI IN jack for panning-specific messages from an external source
An dedicated external control unit with 10 pots or encoders would be a nice solution. With such a unit you could monitor send the pan settings to the PCB inside to the IN and listen to the out for Program Change messages so that you can implement per-patch settings.

I did a quick Google for MIDI interfaces with rotary encoders but it seems those are all USB (clients) these days without DIN connectors.

I suppose you could also use a smartphone with a MIDI interface (or use Bluetooth ) and write an app to adjust the settings (or just use a regular PC) to control the pan settings but personally I would prefer a stand-alone solution that is not dependent on any external hardware (except if you create a dedicated external controller box).

I do still think that my solution where you hi-jack the controls of the Prophet is pretty cool too. Just one internal PCB that does all the work and also allows per-patch pan settings.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ ➡️
Oh absolutely. I avoid wireless solutions on general principle whenever possible. The only wireless solution I ever implemented (or rather, used) was when I built a wireless MIDI interface into my Roland AX Synth:

https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewto...p?f=33&t=37671

An dedicated external control unit with 10 pots or encoders would be a nice solution. With such a unit you could monitor send the pan settings to the PCB inside to the IN and listen to the out for Program Change messages so that you can implement per-patch settings.

I did a quick Google for MIDI interfaces with rotary encoders but it seems those are all USB (clients) these days without DIN connectors.

I suppose you could also use a smartphone with a MIDI interface (or use Bluetooth ) and write an app to adjust the settings (or just use a regular PC) to control the pan settings but personally I would prefer a stand-alone solution that is not dependent on any external hardware (except if you create a dedicated external controller box).

I do still think that my solution where you hi-jack the controls of the Prophet is pretty cool too. Just one internal PCB that does all the work and also allows per-patch pan settings.
Did you look up the FaderFox stuff? I’m pretty sure they do 5-pin MIDI too but might be via a breakout cable.

EDIT - PC12 has dedicated 5-pin ports:
http://www.faderfox.de/pc12.html

The EC4 is smaller, with encoders with a breakout cable:
http://www.faderfox.de/ec4.html
Here for the gear

Serial sub 200. Working perfect 🤩
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Serial 538. Flawless.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefunk ➡️
Beautiful!!!!
It sounds amazing even on laptop speakers - will have to run it through the monitors later!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

After all, it has a wonderful effect.
Great sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurv ➡️
No, it's not. Just because it isn't your truth don't be so judgemental.
The challenge with buying the rev 4 (and similar synths with wooden elements) is, that it arrives in a sealed package. There's no showroom or store, where you can see exactly what you're going to get.
If I bought a piece of furniture (I know, a synth is not furniture, but stay with me here), and the image showed a dark brownish wood, I wouldn't expect light coloured wood to show up. Also, not everyone is a fan of wood structure as such. I'm ok with wood, especially on synths, but I don't like too much structure, rings etc. And I like it to be dark, like on the Sequential promo shots of the rev 4s (it's like Sequential actually did know how to present these synths the best). Actually I like the look of the vintage Prophet 5's better, than some of the new ones I've seen.
Either send it back, or don’t buy it, Karen.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB ➡️
...and far more beautiful than either of those synths when it comes to the wood precisely because it looks more natural and less uniform.

...I wouldn't say any different if I had to tighten down some screws or panel nuts.
Obviously this is all personal preference, but I too prefer the look of mine to the ones in the video you shared. Maybe in person the would look nicer, but the nice natural look is great and makes each piece more unique.

It just seems like if the reservations are largely in the wood (the one natural part of the synth), it just doesn’t seem like it’s a good fit. The other flaws will get sorted by Sequential, so I don’t think that’s a big reason to avoid the purchase... or wait for a used one so you can see it... or just buy an original.

As an aside, I’ve never played an original P5, how is the keybed on that one? I played a P600 and honestly thought it was one of the junkier synths I’ve played (could’ve just been that unit). I wouldn’t expect the same quality of course. Although I have played the OB-Xa and didn’t really care for its keybed. On the P10 REV4, the keybed is extremely nice. Used to think my SY77 (or Virus KB) keybed was the best, but it’s been knocked out of first place by the P10.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

My biggest curiosity on this is the mixer tone and distortion. I absolutely love the growl of the prophet. I have no electronics knowledge, so I'm not sure what parts of the circuit are bypassed by the panning mod. I would want to end up with as close to the same tone as possible, but with panning.

I'm unsure I'll need this, as I often use my polys in mono (juno60 and OB6 other than the prophet). I found the pan spread was more fun for headphones and jamming than a mix, where often I want instruments taking up a certain position, like guitars would.

Another comment on this possibility. Round robin style pan spreads I think are more appealing than fixed pan. This would probably add more variability. Not sure if you can digital control your panning, so that it can be assigned fixed, or with some different distribution algos. One cool one would be notes below a certain cutoff are mono (as bass sounds in the center makes more sense) and the spread only applies above that cutoff.

Just some food for thought! I'm sure the mod will be rad, and the sound sample was really cool. I am unsure whether the "mojo" is still off the charts with the new circuit. Interested to know your thoughts on that aspect!

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I understand cork sniffing when it comes to sound. Of course we want a reissue to sound like the original. So when they clearly nail that factor, as they have with the Rev 4, it’s pretty funny to me to see folks basing their potential purchase on something like wood grain. To each their own though I suppose. It takes all kinds.
Old 14th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There HAS to be some reason the old thing is better than the new thing, eh?! Otherwise, goodbye antique store!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

You should make use of the original monaural. It will be huge when mixed.
However, I like Hard L and R and Mostly L and R.

Immediately after introducing the panorama, you will want to pan big to the left and right. I was the same.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
figuring is indeed subjective. but i don’t think it’s crazy talk. my point is that i’ve never seen a vintage p5 where half is light and half is dark like the one someone showed here. or a light colored one. pretty much every vintage p5 i’ve seen has a pretty uniform dark brown color.
in any case i’m not trying to argue here. i’m just concerned about paying thousands of dollars on what should be a beautiful wood trimmed instrument advertised as dark walnut heartwood (and shown in the promo pix of exactly that) that makes me go “what the heck is this?” when i look at it. and several rev4s i’ve seen pictured made me think exactly that.
the issue seems to be the sheer variability here.
i just think the wood trim should be far more consistent in color. like the originals were. in my opinion.
just seems like for this price the QC and wood quality / consistency could be better. shrug.

anyway glad to hear people chiming in with great units!

i think i’ll ask for a photo before i buy though. if possible.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
figuring is indeed subjective. but i don’t think it’s crazy talk. my point is that i’ve never seen a vintage p5 where half is light and half is dark like the one someone showed here. or a light colored one. pretty much every vintage p5 i’ve seen has a pretty uniform dark brown color.
in any case i’m not trying to argue here. i’m just concerned about paying thousands of dollars on what should be a beautiful wood trimmed instrument advertised as dark walnut heartwood (and shown in the promo pix of exactly that) that makes me go “what the heck is this?” when i look at it. and several rev4s i’ve seen pictured made me think exactly that.
the issue seems to be the sheer variability here.
i just think the wood trim should be far more consistent in color. like the originals were. in my opinion.

anyway glad to hear people chiming in with great units!

i think i’ll ask for a photo before i buy though. if possible.
As mine is one of the more "unique" looks, I just want to point out again that the camera really skews the difference and makes it bigger. When I look at the unit in the room from any angle, the wood looks beautiful, and the wilder section blends really naturally, but on camera it stands out and sometimes looks "off" or "extreme".
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➡️
I understand cork sniffing when it comes to sound. Of course we want a reissue to sound like the original. So when they clearly nail that factor, as they have with the Rev 4, it’s pretty funny to me to see folks basing their potential purchase on something like wood grain. To each their own though I suppose. It takes all kinds.
Get over yourself.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurv ➡️
Get over yourself.
I think the frustration is: there’s nothing wrong with having an aesthetic preference here. But it by no means looks cheap on any i’ve seen here no matter the pattern.

I get preferring the pattern to some and not others, but that’s wood for you. I’m personally fine with taking the odds that mother nature throws at me and high fiving others who may have more hypnotic patterns than mine.

If it’s a big concern, you can develop a relationship with your sales team and get them to select one for you?
📝 Reply