The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cant sleep keep thinking 5 or 10 voices?
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hello and congrats for this awesome teamwork !
I have one question regarding the Prophet-10: is it possible to limit its polyphony (eg: to 5 voices) in order to force voice stealing on some specific patches?

Cheers and thanks again!
V
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw ➡️
I have one question regarding the Prophet-10: is it possible to limit its polyphony (eg: to 5 voices) in order to force voice stealing on some specific patches?

Cheers and thanks again!
V
The Sequential team are discussing it so it’s a possibility in the future.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw ➡️

Cheers and thanks again!
V
Voice stealing ok, but what about two timbrality then? Or two voice stacking?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➡️
Once I get mine, I'm going to email Mr. Badarou and ask if he has patch sheets for the Starchild sounds...heh.
This could perhaps be a good starting point:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB_q6efp...=1chkjofa7a9ko
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
This is imperative for the Prophet 10 , why have all that horse power with no gas peddle . The question is , can it even be done ?
Old 2nd October 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
MY LAWD! THIS AND THE FUxxING PANDEMIC

sry for the all CAPS,
but this is JUST PURE WOW

DAVE SMITH & ROSSUM FILTERS...WOW

ineed money fast!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can someone explain the differences between the Prophet 5 and Prophet 6 to me? Or are they too many to mention?
Gear Head

Firstly, kudos and congratulations to everyone involved in bringing this to market through this crazy time. I sincerely hope that you’ll sell bucket loads.

Secondly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
We identified several key parameters which affect this and mapped them to the Vintage knob in varying amounts to simulate the older instruments. Again, it's not a randomized slop parameter like that on the Prophet 6 and OB-6. It's quite musical across its entire range and really gives the experience of using a vintage Prophet 5.
...will you be porting the new algorithm to the Prophet-6’s slop knob in a future firmware? I for one would be very happy with a more “predictable” vintage interpretation than the randomness that is current in Slop. I find I don’t use that control on the P6 because of that.

Cheers,

Zaff.

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm in purgatory for a P10 now, but I have to know...

1. Which Fatar keyboard?

2. Bi-timbral / multi capability is a given IMO, and I'm sure you guys are working on it via a firmware update, no? Seems to be the case with devs these days; always being forced to labor until the dawn of the final day :p

3. Someone on the Sequential side said "more CV destinations" are being considered beyond voice 5. Please go as crazy as you can with the CV.

4. Also adding onto something else I read.... Is poly aftertouch from an external MIDI source for reals? It's not in the manual
Old 2nd October 2020
Gear Head

I really want the osmose and polybrute... but the two almost get me to the prophet 10.
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I blew it and didn't get the Korg 2600. I might as well blow it again and not get the Prophet-10 rev4.

I suck!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1to1 ➡️
Have quaint of Dave Smith to allow us to pay for the birthday present of his choosing. Sequential might change their name to Sentimental. As a comparator, if Dave was a car maker making cars for 2020 do you think he would be trying to sell us a Model T?
The synth community only have themselves to blame. Too many fanboys living in the past.
I am not a big fan of new cars, I doubt I will ever buy another that is younger than me.....so that analogy does not hold up for me.

I wish a car company would come out and re-issue some of the classics from the past that are at insane prices now.
Old 2nd October 2020
Gear Maniac
When I got the Model D reissue I started really appreciating raw sound, even preferring it to flexibility. There are endless options for flexibility out there, but very few for pure quality of sound (disregarding vintage). Flexibility is fun, but there is beauty in subtlety and nuance.

The holy grail (for me) is that same quality of sound in a polyphonic (not a paraphonic). When Moog released their polyphonic I was hoping for a Memorymoog reissue. Instead they went all-in on flexibility. The sound had to be tightened up to accommodate that, thereby losing the characteristics I desired.

This Prophet 10 reissue might be what I am after. The Prophet 6 has a great sound, but it is too tight (for me) and I keep running out of polyphony. For flexibility I prefer the Prophet 12 anyway. So this is very interesting!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
For that precise synth I am not interested in multi-timbrality/stacking nor splits.
I see it as a very simple/limited and basic vintage synth.
But for some of those “gliding chords” patches, on my high voice-count polys I sometimes limit the polyphony to 5 and then just use a sustain pedal.

Hence the question
Deleted d8c817c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson ➡️
I am not a big fan of new cars, I doubt I will ever buy another that is younger than me.....so that analogy does not hold up for me.

I wish a car company would come out and re-issue some of the classics from the past that are at insane prices now.
There are plenty of manufacturers producing new old design cars. You will need deep pockets though. Stick with Sequential for you sentimental trip down memory lane.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d8c817c ➡️
There are plenty of manufacturers producing new old design cars. You will need deep pockets though. Stick with Sequential for you sentimental trip down memory lane.
I meant at normal prices.

Also, it's not a trip down memory lane if I am younger now than when Dave first made the Prophet 5.

I miss my 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo62 ➡️
Can someone explain the differences between the Prophet 5 and Prophet 6 to me? Or are they too many to mention?
The 6 wins on price, flexibility, convenience, mobility, modernity and space requirements.

The 5 wins on sound (quality) and two-handed playability.

Different synths for different preferences. Not really competitors in my opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No and wrong. I’ll tell you straight up from the front lines as a producer actively releasing new music and working with various artists, the prophet 5 is a workhorse and is not at all about nostalgia. The thing just works and sounds a certain way that continues to work. From a Cultural standpoint it has never lost it’s relevance and continues to remain relevant. The very fact that this new prophet 5 sounds as good as the vintage but is more reliable and has certain modern updates will make using this every day on recorded music that much easier than having to care for a vintage unit. There’s as much retro about this as a fender strat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1to1 ➡️
Have quaint of Dave Smith to allow us to pay for the birthday present of his choosing. Sequential might change their name to Sentimental. As a comparator, if Dave was a car maker making cars for 2020 do you think he would be trying to sell us a Model T?
The synth community only have themselves to blame. Too many fanboys living in the past.
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why did I wake up this morning and started measuring the width of my rack, and checking if Stardust Covers makes a P5 cover?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc ➡️
This is imperative for the Prophet 10 , why have all that horse power with no gas peddle . The question is , can it even be done ?
This is precisely what I was thinking. With the Prophet 5 rev 4 having 5 voices there's not really any point asking for bi-timbrality of any kind (layers/splits) especially given the absence of stereo outputs let alone individual outputs.

But, IMO, that's a bummer for the Prophet 10 and a missed opportunity. I don't see why those 5 + 5 voices couldn't be stacked in a bi-timbral configuration much like in the original.

If one is not worried about voice stealing, I think the 5 voice model makes much more sense, although the extra 5 voices for ~800 is tempting. For me, from the moment that I very rarely use chords with more than 5 voice polyphony, from the moment that I can't do bass+pad, or bass+lead, pad1+pad2 in a layer configuration the obvious choice is to go for the 5-voice.

Oh and an additional LFO wouldn't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️
I don't see why those 5 + 5 voices couldn't be stacked in a bi-timbral configuration much like in the original.
Well, I don't know anyone around here who would be interested in a "5+5!" I mean, I can't think of anyone!!!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo62 ➡️
This chart on Sequential’s website does a pretty good job of comparing the differences:
https://yo41t1y5gos9jw8f3lptw0xo-wpe...-Chart-5.1.pdf
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Will i miss out on authenticity if i choose a 10 voice?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 ➡️
Well, I don't know anyone around here who would be interested in a "5+5!" I mean, I can't think of anyone!!!
I was thinking about that, but since I'm still planning to get a P6 I think Ill stack it with P10. I'll have to wait for P6 vs. P5 comparison, though.
Old 2nd October 2020
Congrats to Sequential & happy birthday Dave! The demos sound glorious. I put in the pre-order for a P10 with a plan to sell the P6 & a Moog Subsequent37.....
Just turned on the P6 and jammed for like 3 hours and boy is this one is gonna be hard to let go of

At least one will have to go
Prophet 6
Matriarch
Sub37

Decisions.....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan G ➡️
Congrats to Sequential & happy birthday Dave! The demos sound glorious. I put in the pre-order for a P10 with a plan to sell the P6 & a Moog Subsequent37.....
Just turned on the P6 and jammed for like 3 hours and boy is this one is gonna be hard to let go of

At least one will have to go
Prophet 6
Matriarch
Sub37

Decisions.....
I would sell the Sub37
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd like a Prophet 10, but with the Prophet 5 plate, because it just looks so good.

And, no, the Prophet 6 is going nowhere.
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s similar to that. My idea actual goes far past this, you’re seeing the V1.0 of this technology 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativespiral ➡️
I think I've got some more specific info on this Vintage Knob. Pym and I discussed Voice Modeling last year on the Sequential Rev2 forum. I wrote up a bunch of info on the topic of per-voice variance measured in classic synths. Back in May 2019, Chris/Pym basically previewed that he would be working on this exact type of implementation - A single knob macro that swings through a table of offsets for various parameters.

You can read in the Seq forum for more details:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.p....html#msg46777

Slop vs. Stable Voice Modeling Tables
Slop and Osc Drift Circuits are basically complex LFOs that swing back and forth the frequency of each oscillator independently... there's always this drifting motion to frequencies. The difference is that Per-Voice Modeling uses stable offsets per voice, and per component value, rather than having everything in motion. There are a few advantages to modeling with tables of stable offsets:

1. There's less chance of weird dissonance where oscillator slop LFOs are in divergent phases and create extreme un-musical phasing.

2. For pads/strings and other patches with longer release times, you're not getting a bunch of extra "artificial motion" on top of the "natural phasing motion" of just having oscillators with stable offsets.

3. With voice modeling tables, the synth performance is more repeatable from session to session.

So, if this implementation has been done how I suspect, it will be a big improvement over previous "slop" implementation... and the single knob will make it easy to swing a large table of offset values to osc frequencies (and other parameters- ie: env timing, vcf cutoff precision, etc)

@ Pym , feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but based on our previous conversations, I'm guessing this is how this knob behaves on the new P5/P10 Rev4.

If anyone else is interesting in reading more on the topic of Voice Modeling, I wrote up an article here: http://www.VoiceComponentModeling.com

Finally, CONGRATS to @ Pym and @ cbmd and team! This synth is gonna make a lot of people happy!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➡️
It’s similar to that. My idea actual goes far past this, you’re seeing the V1.0 of this technology 😉
Any chance similar behavior would be ported back to the older models like the P6, OB-6 or Rev2?
📝 Reply