The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 2nd October 2020
Deleted 24cad98
Moog did the reissue and took all those profits and turned them into the grandmother, matriarch, and moog one, among others

that's speculation on my part but makes for a good story anyway

Perhaps sequential is going to do the same - make a nice prophet and reinvest it back to some exciting new stuff
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Finally I can have a rev 2 and still keep all my organs
Deleted 2c2ba78
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 ➡️
Sounds awesome to me (different taste I guess?) but yeah not really showing off the pure tones.
Sounded awesome to me too, as do the other demos - I think it's great to hear the tone both raw and processed. The synth sounded phenomenal either way.
Old 2nd October 2020
Deleted 3773a21
Anybody else noticed that Dave said in the video that Sequential are really the only ones qualified to do the Reissue and just copying is not so interesting *hint hint*
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent ➡️
its a bit expensive
Not really. The original was $3995 in 1978, that's $15,000 in today's dollars.
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Enjoying these raw demos. They must have already been posted but here they are again. https://soundcloud.com/sequential_ll...-5-audio-demos
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor ➡️
Does it come with coupons for cases of cat food I’ll be sharing with my muse to afford it? Call it a pandemic bundle!
Just don't get the type I give my cats...it costs more than my own food.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Very cool! Sounds amazing! Can't wait for the Prophet VS!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tok ➡️
Yes this is better than the other major demo on youtube right now

straight synth sound

really great demo - although even better when you are not watching the video and just listening haha
Sequential has naked synth audio on Soundcloud, as well.

https://soundcloud.com/sequential_ll...-5-audio-demos
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

I'm really happy to see this news. I have to admit the only time I've ever touched a real one was when my buddies found one at an estate sale in Michigan back around 2009/10. They asked "should we pick this up?" and I was like YES!. They brought it back and it needed some tune-ups, re-installed the firmware via cassette tape if I remember correctly. I got to jam on it a bit and remember the wildness of it based on the room temp. I think it was a rev2. After all was said and done they ended up selling it to some people in the UK and shipped it over. Was really fun to play though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm just glad it wasn't Oberheim flavoured as I bought an OB-6 yesterday.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge ➡️
Voice panning.
If voice panning / stereo is so all-important, surely this can be resolved by pairing the rev4 keys with the eventual module version?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➡️
I got you. Here’s 47 minutes of straight to pro tools Prophet 5 Rev 4.
Mind posting the lossless audio files (wav or flac)?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To the people talking about preferring voice-stealing, @ Pym mentioned making a '5 voice mode' is at least under discussion, but not planned yet:

New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️
Mind posting the lossless audio files (wav or flac)?
Umm ... it’s a 96k 24 bit file ... you really want to host 47 min of that somewhere?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge ➡️
So... who's going to be first to recreate the Escape from New York main theme on one of these bad boys?
Escape from New York is alright but personally I'm looking forward to the Creepshow soundtrack remakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tok ➡️
would take a sequential prophet 5 over a behringer prophet 16 and i'm no behringer hater owning a few clones and an xr 18
Agreed! I no longer care about the UBXa (unless it's like $400)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
Yes, a module is planned as well
Oh fugk me!!!! My mine asplode...

I am ready!

Last edited by Marzzz; 2nd October 2020 at 04:09 AM..
Old 2nd October 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Can't wait to put it up next to my p5 rev 2 that has had god knows how much money spent on keeping it alive. AT and Velocity will make this even better
Deleted c22732b
Prophet 5 works great in a hard rock/metal context too.

Gear Guru

Quote:
Umm ... it’s a 96k 24 bit file ... you really want to host 47 min of that somewhere?
Maybe/sure/whatever.

How large is the actual file?
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’d like to hear the factory patches demoed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p. dovetonsils ➡️
Nope.......

THIS is the sound of the P5

Richard Barbieri and David Sylvian were equally proficient on the P5.

As a Rev2 P5 owner I am super curious how close sound wise the new Prophets will get to make those beautiful percussive tones I've coaxed out of my original?
Ghosts on OGWT is one of my favorite videos on YouTube! Lordy.

There's an OB in that video too isn't there?

Which synth is making the percussive 'stab' chord keyboard parts in that performance? Sounds juicy.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
It has the same oscillator parts as the original. Natural oscillator drift is still there. You were speaking of the Vintage knob which is not a slop parameter.

We analyzed a bunch of different Prophet REV2s and REV3s and found that they all had a unique sound. We identified several key parameters which affect this and mapped them to the Vintage knob in varying amounts to simulate the older instruments. Again, it's not a randomized slop parameter like that on the Prophet 6 and OB-6. It's quite musical across its entire range and really gives the experience of using a vintage Prophet 5.
I think I've got some more specific info on this Vintage Knob. Pym and I discussed Voice Modeling last year on the Sequential Rev2 forum. I wrote up a bunch of info on the topic of per-voice variance measured in classic synths. Back in May 2019, Chris/Pym basically previewed that he would be working on this exact type of implementation - A single knob macro that swings through a table of offsets for various parameters.

You can read in the Seq forum for more details:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.p....html#msg46777

Slop vs. Stable Voice Modeling Tables
Slop and Osc Drift Circuits are basically complex LFOs that swing back and forth the frequency of each oscillator independently... there's always this drifting motion to frequencies. The difference is that Per-Voice Modeling uses stable offsets per voice, and per component value, rather than having everything in motion. There are a few advantages to modeling with tables of stable offsets:

1. There's less chance of weird dissonance where oscillator slop LFOs are in divergent phases and create extreme un-musical phasing.

2. For pads/strings and other patches with longer release times, you're not getting a bunch of extra "artificial motion" on top of the "natural phasing motion" of just having oscillators with stable offsets.

3. With voice modeling tables, the synth performance is more repeatable from session to session.

So, if this implementation has been done how I suspect, it will be a big improvement over previous "slop" implementation... and the single knob will make it easy to swing a large table of offset values to osc frequencies (and other parameters- ie: env timing, vcf cutoff precision, etc)

@ Pym , feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but based on our previous conversations, I'm guessing this is how this knob behaves on the new P5/P10 Rev4.

If anyone else is interesting in reading more on the topic of Voice Modeling, I wrote up an article here: http://www.VoiceComponentModeling.com

Finally, CONGRATS to @ Pym and @ cbmd and team! This synth is gonna make a lot of people happy!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️
Maybe/sure/whatever.

How large is the actual file?
Not sure I need to double check. If sequential don’t need the raw audio I’ll see if I can put it up somewhere.
Deleted 2c2ba78
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativespiral ➡️
I think I've got some more specific info on this Vintage Knob. Pym and I discussed Voice Modeling last year on the Sequential Rev2 forum. I wrote up a bunch of info on the topic of per-voice variance measured in classic synths. Back in May 2019, Chris/Pym basically previewed that he would be working on this exact type of implementation - A single knob macro that swings through a table of offsets for various parameters.

Slop and Osc Drift Circuits are basically complex LFOs that swing back and forth the frequency of each oscillator independently... there's always this drifting motion to frequencies. The difference is that Per-Voice Modeling uses stable offsets per voice, and per component value, rather than having everything in motion. There are a few advantages to modeling with tables of stable offsets:

1. There's less chance of weird dissonance where oscillator slop LFOs are in divergent phases and create extreme un-musical phasing.

2. For pads/strings and other patches with longer release times, you're not getting a bunch of extra "artificial motion" on top of the "natural phasing motion" of just having oscillators with stable offsets.

3. With voice modeling tables, the synth performance is more repeatable from session to session.

So, if this implementation has been done how I suspect, it will be a big improvement over previous "slop" implementation... and the single knob will make it easy to swing a large table of offset values to osc frequencies (and other parameters- ie: env timing, vcf cutoff precision, etc)

@ Pym , feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but based on our previous conversations, I'm guessing this is how this knob behaves on the new P5/P10 Rev4.

If anyone else is interesting in reading more on the topic of Voice Modeling, I wrote up an article here: http://www.VoiceComponentModeling.com

Finally, CONGRATS to @ Pym and @ cbmd and team! This synth is gonna make a lot of people happy!
Very insightful - thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also want to, once again, chime in on this. The vintage knob is massive and is one of the most convincing implementations I’ve yet to hear in terms of modelling the variance between voices due to age/calibration/tolerances ... basically my experience was when set to 3 it DEFINITELY behaved like my well calibrated revision 3. When set to 2, it sounded like the records that I know used the 2 in tandem with the ssi filter. It’s full of life and magically does not sound artificial in the way that general ‘slop’ can sound artificial. Same when i had it next to a rev 2. Very noticeable on the envelopes voice to voice. Rev 1 was some my favorite stuff. So much movement but not like ... bad ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativespiral ➡️

Finally, CONGRATS to @ Pym and @ cmd b and team! This synth is gonna make a lot of people happy!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not sure I need to double check. If sequential don’t need the raw audio I’ll see if I can put it up somewhere.
Groovy.

A 16/44 wav or flac render would probably be fine for most.

But either is cool.

Thanks.
Marketing Manager at Cherry Audio

I’m definitely in someday for a Prophet 10, but it won’t be in the immediate future. I’m glad this isn’t another 2600 situation. Regardless, I know these are dream machines for so many here, and it’s awesome that it’s now a reality for you.
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

As a goof I put my prophet 6 on reverb to fund this. It sold in 30 minutes....

So count me in as a prophet 10 pre-orderer

Can’t wait....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by S h a w ➡️
Am I the only one who is disappointed by the single mono audio output on a poly synth in 2020?

Yeah, I know, they want it to be be true to the original (ahem... USB out, velocity, aftertouch)....
I'm ok with mono but a distortion knob would have been nice.
📝 Reply