Quantcast
Arturia Poly Brute - Page 121 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Poly Brute
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax ➡️
Polybrute is in the house... this thing is AMAZING. And to the haters: enjoy thinking your softsynths sound this good. I have (and use) a ton of softsynths, but this thing is in another league. Not to mention, the tactile and user experience is stellar. This thing is a beautiful instrument in every way.
They actually do sound as good, if that's the sound you want. Modern softsynths are amazing. They won't, however, sound the same as a PB, so if the PB sound is what you want, you need to get a PB.

That's how I ended up with an OB6: there was no software equivalent to get the same sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm finding the PB offers some unique, interesting and downright amazing sounds when pushed. The Steiner filter in particular when set to the edge of chaotic and non-linear behaviour reveals a treasure chest full of harmonic delights. It's a perfectly respectable synth for doing more regular poly synth duties and can sound great doing so, but then so do plenty of other synths. Where it really starts to shine when you take a trip to the more extreme side of things. Add some morph and matrix action and it starts to reveal itself as an absolute genius design. There is nothing else like it in polysynth land, either in DSP or analogue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I did some comparisons of the MatrixBrute vs PolyBrute tonight--just looking for basic audio sections.
  • The triangle on the MxB is trianglier. The PB's has just a hint of saw in the mix. You can see the difference on a scope. (Not a complaint. Analog waves are rarely geometrically perfect.)
  • The MxB oscillators in general seem a bit more mellowed out while there is a bit more top-end sheen on the PB's.
  • The Metallizer sounds different on the PB. I don't know if it's because of the different triangle and gain stages or if it's just a different wavefolder circuit but the PB has more sizzle while the MxB's is rougher and dirtier
  • The Sub knob is a blend knob so there is only sub at full clockwise. But also the FM uses both the main and sub audio. I think I missed this in the demos and manual but stumbled upon it while playing. So you can get complex forms using both main and sub--or just turn the Sub clockwise to use just the sine. Turn down the volume for a classic FM sine modulator.
  • The Brute Factor on the PB is much tamer than on the MxB, on which I almost only use it up to maybe 11 o'clock.
  • The ladder itself seems similar but its response to the hotter MxB signal is noticeable. The distortion on the PB ladder is also noticeably different than the Drive of the MxB, which is pre-filter.
  • The PB's BBD-style delays sound relatively analog if you use the filtering but don't have the MB's effects' crunch and grit that some people love and others hate.

In short, it's what you've probably already noticed: The PB is a little tamer and shinier in its individual audio modules even if there are features like morphing that take it into very untamed territories. And a bit of taming makes sense with all of the extra voices. It's the same reason the Moog One and Rev2 don't have the drive section of their mono counterparts.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Poly Brute-mxb.jpg   Arturia Poly Brute-pb.jpg  
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

My Polybrute arrived out of the blue a week ago. I did not get a shipping notice so it was a huge surprise to see it randomly leaning against the all next to my front door. Had a hole punched in the box but thankfully when I got 'er out there was no discernable damage.

This thing is fantastic. Its my first analog poly, and while my skills as a player and a synthesist are pretty lacking, I feel like this is going to be a wonderful instrument to spend time and grow with.

I had been playing through a small tube amp for the first few days, and a lot of presets sounded kind of same-y, but when I plugged in some old Sennheiser headphones, I was able to truly appreciate the richness of the sound. A lot of the finer details of the sonics had not been making themselves apparent through the amp.

Anyhow, the one thing that has bothered me so far is that when I use the sequencer, it does not seem to go nearly slow enough. Most patches start out at 120bpm; when I turn it all the way down to 30, it sure does not sound like 30. It sounds considerably faster. Anybody else experience this?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountDeleted ➡️
My Polybrute arrived out of the blue a week ago. I did not get a shipping notice so it was a huge surprise to see it randomly leaning against the all next to my front door. Had a hole punched in the box but thankfully when I got 'er out there was no discernable damage.

This thing is fantastic. Its my first analog poly, and while my skills as a player and a synthesist are pretty lacking, I feel like this is going to be a wonderful instrument to spend time and grow with.

I had been playing through a small tube amp for the first few days, and alot of presets sounded kind of same-y, but when I plugged in some old Sennheiser headphones, I was able to truly appreciate the richness of the sound. A lot of the finer details of the sonics had not been making themselves apparent through the amp.

Anyhow, the one thing that has bothered me so far is that when I use the sequencer, it does not seem to go nearly slow enough. Most patches start out at 120bpm; when I turn it all the way down to 30, it sure does not sound like 30. It sounds considerably faster. Anybody else experience this?
Tube amps can be cool for specific effects but are going to limit the range a synth and/or accentuate mids in a way that is less than ideal.

Check the Time Divisions. Most are probably using some sort of clock division.
Here for the gear
I'm having to say goodbye to my Polybrute for the next 4 weeks whilst I'm away from my studio, and I'm SO gutted - I've really fallen in love with this thing

I'll be taking the Peak and Typhon with me as they're portable but it just won't be the same...counting down the days till we're reunited :'(
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcloudsmusic ➡️
I'm having to say goodbye to my Polybrute for the next 4 weeks whilst I'm away from my studio, and I'm SO gutted - I've really fallen in love with this thing

I'll be taking the Peak and Typhon with me as they're portable but it just won't be the same...counting down the days till we're reunited :'(
My current setup is polybrute Opsix and prophet X all tightly grouped together sequenced by mpc 4000 and drum sounds mostly now tr-8s. It’s a very far cry from what I was doing last year and while I am a bit light in the Rompling after selling the integra and the Kronos, I can’t really imagine a different setup right now.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Edit
📝 Reply