The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's the difference between "Brazilian Bass" and "Slap House"?
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What's the difference between "Brazilian Bass" and "Slap House"?

Can somebody please tell me?!
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
wut
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ That moment you realise you're old and no longer down with the youth.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
what, someone reinventing the wheel again? Or legit new genres?

Brazilian bass - sounds like Baile Funk ?
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just a hair of filter resonance
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One is a fish and the other one doesn't exist.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
brazilian bass is what the uber drivers here listen to during the day. slap house is what they listen to during the night. equally boring and cheesy. although brazilian bass has more ratchets on the bass lines and the random saxophone, flute, whatever.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Addict

Brazilian Bass is more about applying serialist techniques to rhythm while Slap House puts the emphasis more on melodic and harmonic organization of the 12 tone row. I hear a lot of inverted hexachords in Slap House as opposed to mostly combinations of retrograde trichords in Brazilian Bass.
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent
Deleted f4d7f22
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption ➡️
Brazilian Bass is more about applying serialist techniques to rhythm while Slap House puts the emphasis more on melodic and harmonic organization of the 12 tone row. I hear a lot of inverted hexachords in Slap House as opposed to mostly combinations of retrograde trichords in Brazilian Bass.
I don't know if this is a great answer or you just wrote a bunch of nonsense that you invented.
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f4d7f22 ➡️
I don't know if this is a great answer or you just wrote a bunch of nonsense that you invented.
His Forte is Allen.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well, i don't know how much schoenberg's work is studied by slap house producers
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 ➡️
Can somebody please tell me?!
BB: fire
SH: lit

https://www.melodicnation.co.uk/2020...of-slap-house/

I was curious, so I spent an hour or so checking out YT tutorial videos on how to make BB and Slap House remixes. The main impression I get is BB, which came first, has more of the Brazilian smoothness overall, has lots of open space / emptiness, the mids are subdued, and the bass sounds are mellower as well. If the song does get a bit hyped in energy, it doesn't get too crazy.

Slap House still gets mistaken by a lot of broducers as the same as BB... and tbh they are very similar. But SH has more energy, it's more busy, has more mids, and esp the bass sounds are harder.

Check out the Spotify playlists below. It seems that BB recently got more energetic than when the genre first came out. SH comes out strong as just having energy, and there seem to be more songs from other genres being remixed into SH style. So BB 2016 is not as hyped as BB 2020 / SH 2020.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7x...UI7pp6ltH08JXr

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3R...7ahXrtgq4MIvVC
Old 14th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 ➡️
BB: fire
SH: lit

https://www.melodicnation.co.uk/2020...of-slap-house/

I was curious, so I spent an hour or so checking out YT tutorial videos on how to make BB and Slap House remixes. The main impression I get is BB, which came first, has more of the Brazilian smoothness overall, has lots of open space / emptiness, the mids are subdued, and the bass sounds are mellower as well. If the song does get a bit hyped in energy, it doesn't get too crazy.

Slap House still gets mistaken by a lot of broducers as the same as BB... and tbh they are very similar. But SH has more energy, it's more busy, has more mids, and esp the bass sounds are harder.

Check out the Spotify playlists below. It seems that BB recently got more energetic than when the genre first came out. SH comes out strong as just having energy, and there seem to be more songs from other genres being remixed into SH style. So BB 2016 is not as hyped as BB 2020 / SH 2020.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7x...UI7pp6ltH08JXr

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3R...7ahXrtgq4MIvVC
I checked that first link and that's supposed to be a new genre? It's just generic pop EDM crap... nothing there justifying a new genre at all.

And it's just donk bass all over again.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➡️
I checked that first link and that's supposed to be a new genre? It's just generic pop EDM crap... nothing there justifying a new genre at all.

And it's just donk bass all over again.
Kidz gonna be kidz. A dozen sub-genres coming off one main. How many types of house are there now, must be almost a hundred. All kinds of dubstep. Jazz. Country.

To the uninitiated, it all sounds like the same.

Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Idk
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find it a bit annoying that anything can be called ”Deep House”.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So it was an actual thing?

This electro house sound has barely left us and now people insist on giving it new genre names? Also known as "blog house" - kids, look it up.

Whats that you say? "its like totally different sound granpa"? Well, I suppose if you think that stuff that has even less tonal variety than electro house as a whole is a new genre, I dont really know what to tell you..

If this sound is hot right now, the brostep resurgence cant be far off..

Talk about reinventing the wheel... yawn
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch ➡️
^ That moment you realise you're old and no longer down with the youth.
The youth of today are scrambling to musically exist. All they seem to be able to do, is bone picking ever more surgically and maniacally what was created in the 80s and 90s.

Calling stuff today with special names belongs to their approach, and is just unimaginative marketing, in this era of frenetic, mostly undifferentiated, mass music-making.

I remember the golden days when this below was released, and notwithstanding what was printed on the sleeve, everybody then was fine with calling it techno. Yep, those days are truly gone.

Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

You can only make Gingerbread House if you were raised by redheads. Out House requires tiled-room reverb. Brick House is funky, while Fun House is straight up pop. Ice House'll get you wasted
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

I feel a bit of musical pity for what these generations will become 20-30 years from now. At least with Gen X and older, before the internet and the super-splintering of genres, we had a common musical heritage in our teens and twenties. This means we can be nostalgic for the styles and songs of a certain decade, and have whole sections of the populations share in that nostalgia.

How will it be in the future for these younger generations? A new sub-genre gets created and dies every half decade now. I see comments of people being "nostalgic" for songs and genres that were just 10 years ago.

We've got genre overload.

Nah, humans adapt, culture changes, life goes on. Video games will be the fodder for future perfect nostalgia, I imagine.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone ➡️
You can only make Gingerbread House if you were raised by redheads. Out House requires tiled-room reverb. Brick House is funky, while Fun House is straight up pop. Ice House'll get you wasted
Shove me into shallow water
Before I get too Deep House.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone ➡️
The youth of today are scrambling to musically exist. All they seem to be able to do, is bone picking ever more surgically and maniacally what was created in the 80s and 90s.

Calling stuff today with special names belongs to their approach, and is just unimaginative marketing, in this era of frenetic, mostly undifferentiated, mass music-making.

I remember the golden days when this below was released, and notwithstanding what was printed on the sleeve, everybody then was fine with calling it techno. Yep, those days are truly gone.

Didn't people back then call it IDM, not techno because they didn't wanna be associated with stupid dance music?

Not much has changed, people have always loved to categorize stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➡️
Didn't people back then call it IDM, not techno because they didn't wanna be associated with stupid dance music?

Not much has changed, people have always loved to categorize stuff.
I think IDM term didnt really exist in the lingo until a bit later. But yeh.

Although to be fair, that record does have techno tunes on it as well

The way I'm remembering the early 90s, it was all "tekno" until people got exposed to it more and started identifying the different nuances in the music. Early 90s DJs in Helsinki seemed to mix genres up more in their sets, at least that is my recollection. You could hear house, trance, stuff resembling early psytrance, techno and electro in the same set. But it all felt so novel back then that they were just "techno parties".

I suppose techno was used as a blanket term, a bit like how edm is used nowadays.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
I think IDM term didnt really exist in the lingo until a bit later. But yeh.

Although to be fair, that record does have techno tunes on it as well

The way I'm remembering the early 90s, it was all "tekno" until people got exposed to it more and started identifying the different nuances in the music. Early 90s DJs in Helsinki seemed to mix genres up more in their sets, at least that is my recollection. You could hear house, trance, stuff resembling early psytrance, techno and electro in the same set. But it all felt so novel back then that they were just "techno parties".

I suppose techno was used as a blanket term, a bit like how edm is used nowadays.
Belgium Techno: Frank De Wulf - Magic Orchestra
New Beat: Rhythm Device - Acid Rock
Italo House: Black Box - Ride On Time
Detroit Techno: Rhythm Is Rhythm - Strings Of Life
Chicago House: Lil Louis - French Kiss
Hip House: Doug Lazy - Let It Roll
Trance: Abfahrt - Alone(Its Me)
Deep House: Qaurtz - Meltdown
Freestyle: Corporation Of One - The Real Life
Electro: Ozone Layer - Planetary Deterioration
Acid House: A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
Garage: Chanelle - One Man
Bleep Techno: Forgemasters - Track With No Name
Ambient House: BBG - Snappiness
Breakbeat Techno: Kicksquad - Soundclash
Balearic: Cry Cisco - Afrodizziact
Indie Dance: My Bloody Valentine - Glider Ep(Weatherall remixes)

Between 89-90 I'd heard these genres used as describing certain tracks by club goers/music journals etc(tracks given as an example of the genre title), but in the UK the blanket term was Rave(89-90), but if asked what music Rave was we'd say Techno and House Music mainly, but you are correct - all styles were played and we didn't get bogged down with genres or worry/think about it then, they were just individual tracks with their own character all mixed up...
Old 28th September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
And what's the next big thing genre?
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 ➡️
And what's the next big thing genre?
Happy Hop, hip hop with Gabba kicks.

Duckstep - played only at a duck do.

P-Crunk - Ok, I'm boring you now.
Old 28th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How is Brazilian Wax different from Back, Crack & Sack?
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon ➡️
they just do the sack
Old 28th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I can't see Brick Shlthouse taking off
Old 3rd February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon ➡️
Thus, most salons don't serve men. There are a great deal of risks with regards to waxing men. You have the overall dolt who comes with expectations of a "glad completion". The main problem is the ones who come in and request an additional assistance. Things can get muddled and, on the off chance that it turns into a scene it'll influence different clients.

From my experience, a salon will either expressly show male waxing costs or a particular waxer will permit references. In the event that they permit references, they tend not to communicate it. I had a companion who was searching for somebody who was eager to give him a Brazilian wax. Fortunately, my waxer acknowledged his business since she realized he was dependable.

In total, either search for salons that publicize "Male Brazilians" or inquire as to whether they'd help you.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…