The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep 37
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Arturia Keystep 37

I’ve been beta testing this. I really like it.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hyb...ep-37/overview
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Compared to original Keystep 32
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Keystep 37-keystep-37.jpg  
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interested! Full 3 octaves makes a big difference.
Can someone summarize what else is different between the 2 controllers?
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice! I'll buy the black version when its out. This is brilliant, exactly what I hoped for
Old 8th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM ➡️
Interested! Full 3 octaves makes a big difference.
Can someone summarize what else is different between the 2 controllers?
Look at the bottom of the page of the link I posted above.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have it already and did a quick video about the chord mode:

Btw , nice little key you can use for live act.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad ➡️
Look at the bottom of the page of the link I posted above.
There's one thing in their table that confuses me. For the 37, it says MIDI CC Control: No, but higher up on the page it talks about the 4 banks of 4 assignable CC knobs. Is this just a typo in the table?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
There's one thing in their table that confuses me. For the 37, it says MIDI CC Control: No, but higher up on the page it talks about the 4 banks of 4 assignable CC knobs. Is this just a typo in the table?
Yeah, I saw that too. It sends up to 4 CC commands out (1 per knob) in 4 banks. It doesn't receive CC commands. I'm not sure if Keystep Pro does and that might what there are comparing (never tried Keystep Pro).
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Loopop review is up:

I find this an intriguing upgrade to the original Keystep. I hope they make a black one to go with my black Keystep. It's got some cool new features in the arpeggiator and chord modes.

I'm not sure what it is about MIDI CC control that they say "no" about... maybe that there's no parameters to control on the Keystep 37 with CCs, it only sends them to your gear.

Another difference (from original Keystep): the 37 replaces "Up x2" and "Down x2" arp modes with "Walk" and "Pattern".
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If I didn't already have the original Keystep, I would probably jump on this, but I don't think I need it. If it had real pitch/mod wheels instead of the touch strips, I would have been convinced to upgrade, but absent that, I can't justify it.
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm a bit surprised they're keeping the OG around as is, but I guess it still doesn't have any solid competition, so there's no rush.

Anyway, this mid-range option looks close to feature perfect for me, so I'll be picking one up in a few months

Black would be great.
Old 9th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
I'm a bit surprised they're keeping the OG around as is, but I guess it still doesn't have any solid competition, so there's no rush.

Anyway, this mid-range option looks close to feature perfect for me, so I'll be picking one up in a few months

Black would be great.
The smaller size and price is still attractive.
Old 9th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The smaller size and price is still attractive.
Size is what puzzles me: it's barely smaller.

If they had a super cheap and small, probably mono-focused, 25 key version, and then 37 (poly) and Pro (multi) on top*, that would make more sense to me.

32 was OK when it was the only model around, but now it looks like an odd compromise that's not trying to be the cheapest or smallest it could be. It's kind of weird. Anyway

*And then maybe 49/61 fullsize for multi splits, but then they'd be moving out of their own niche and competing with the SL MKIII and such.
Old 9th September 2020

🎧 10 years
I’m an owner of two original keysteps and just now enjoying keystep pro, So I’m certainly no Arturia hater but I see this “keystep 37” as milking the turd, really.
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

Here's a comparison between the Keystep 37 vs the Keystep original

Old 9th September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Interesting. The only thing holding me back from the original keystep was the amount of keys available. 37 keys (with an octave switch) I can manage (for proper chords). I like what I have seen from the 37 thus far. Cheers.
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been looking for a 37 key for my desk. Now need to decide between this and launchkey 37.
Old 10th September 2020
Deleted 60622ed
Arturia kills it when it comes to midi controllers...Ive got keystep and BSP but I think my hearts set on adding the keystep pro, I think theyre pushing it a little at $199...I think my 49 essential with analog lab was around the same price
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 60622ed ➡️
Arturia kills it when it comes to midi controllers...Ive got keystep and BSP but I think my hearts set on adding the keystep pro, I think theyre pushing it a little at $199...I think my 49 essential with analog lab was around the same price
$199 is probably they're "right worth while in the first place" price point. My guess that'll come down some after they recoup the costs to make it.
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
$199 is probably they're "right worth while in the first place" price point. My guess that'll come down some after they recoup the costs to make it.
yeah I wouldnt say $199 is too pricey, I dont know...$179, there, final offer
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Where is that 199 coming from anyway? I'm seeing lower / 169 $ US.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where is that 199 coming from anyway? I'm seeing lower / 169 $ US.
It's on Arturia's product page (see OP). I'm sure there is discounting going on.
Old 11th September 2020

🎧 5 years
Arturia's own page is always more expensive. It's to purposefully deter you from buying direct - they want you to buy from retail partners. Sweetwater has it at $169, as I'm sure most other USA retailers will.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The keystep 32 and 37 have the same key size, right?

May I ask if somebody could measure the key size (width, length) of the keystep from the black and white keys exactly? I don't find any information about this and would like to know if they are the same or larger than my current micro keys. Prefered when messured in mm for comparision, but inch works too.

I compared the korg microKey and NI m32 key size already here, in case someone is interested. Do Korg microKey and NI M32 have the same micro keys size?
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman ➡️
The keystep 32 and 37 have the same key size, right?

May I ask if somebody could measure the key size (width, length) of the keystep from the black and white keys exactly? I don't find any information about this and would like to know if they are the same or larger than my current micro keys. Prefered when messured in mm for comparision, but inch works too.

I compared the korg microKey and NI m32 key size already here, in case someone is interested. Do Korg microKey and NI M32 have the same micro keys size?
Yes, they're the same keys.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor ➡️
I’m an owner of two original keysteps and just now enjoying keystep pro, So I’m certainly no Arturia hater but I see this “keystep 37” as milking the turd, really.
32 keys are really annoying so I would never consider an buying an original keystep. The pro is too expensive. Now they have the 37 I will buy as soon as it's in stock.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any idea when these are going to be available?

I don't usually do early adoption but this seems like a perfect fit so I don't want to wait. It's mostly Keystep so there can't be too many bugs or hardware issues anyway, if any.

~~~

Completely unrelated, but I could see Arturia do a generative music dedicated controller/sequencer, call it "FreakStep" or something. They already have integrated elements of those concepts into their synths and controllers, so going further in doesn't seem like a stretch.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I don't usually do early adoption but this seems like a perfect fit so I don't want to wait. It's mostly Keystep so there can't be too many bugs or hardware issues anyway, if any.

~~~

Completely unrelated, but I could see Arturia do a generative music dedicated controller/sequencer, call it "FreakStep" or something. They already have integrated elements of those concepts into their synths and controllers, so going further in doesn't seem like a stretch.

Anyway, just a thought.
I just tonight have my keystep pro sequencing Microfreak then it passes through two earthquaker device pedals, afterneath, and transmisser, then a cheap drive pedal, all while ksp has hydrasynth on a track, Waldorf Nave my old iPad 2, and tardigrain on an old iPhone 5s.
That’s my freakstep

Last edited by namnibor; 20th September 2020 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Waiter....
Old 20th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Wondering this as well. I ordered from perfect circuit as soon as they started taking orders and I keep checking my email everyday for a shipping notification. Arturia site mentioned Sept 15 shipping from them direct so I'm hoping any day now.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my original Keystep but as far as I can tell you're unable to send it midi via USB that then appears at the CV outs whilst then controlling other plugins via USB input. You can have a sequence going then leave that running and play other MIDI synths but not whilst the sequencer is stopped and USB is feeding notes to the CV converter.

Is this possible on the Keystep 37?
📝 Reply