The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep 37
Old 13th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
Keystep (32) does have an LED brightness setting. It's all the way at the bottom if you scroll down.

If it's not on the 37, perhaps it will be added in a future firmware update.
haven't seen that on the 37 page - and you need to connect it via USB to view anything... bit of a pain having to drag it over to the PC all the time. all functions could have been kept on the unit. -and could also have had a mode to keep a few chords in quick assign.

edit: 2 weeks later: ok well now i have a PSU it likes, - and i've got used to it being around ("what's this white thing?! very white!") - it's staying. handy size, useful tricks, i'm using it - though i still haven't bothered re-assigning CCs, because you can't see what each on is on the unit, and isn't generally connected via usb. there must be some toggle function possible to let you see what each CC assignment is, rather than just the value. think this is fairly important.

Last edited by ibtl; 18th March 2021 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: 2 weeks later
Old 15th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Black version please - I want to buy this already!
Old 18th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Keystep37 is not remembering the user chord after powering down. is there something i need to do? there is a chord there, but not the last one i recorded.
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➡️
Black version please - I want to buy this already!
been thinking 'Lexan overlay' - and then the ultrabrite white case could be painted. it's weird because the mid-blue text does not contrast enough.
Old 25th April 2021
Gear Head

This seems like a nice step up from the 32! I have the KSP and would consider picking up the 37 if I needed another controller. Good experience with KSP overall, but I am a little bummed that the 5 knobs of CC values are global, not per-track. No banks either. I echo the statement that it is a bit strange for the top-of-line model to be outperformed in certain areas by the (much) cheaper counterparts. I care less about the chord-strum thing, but the the BSP and KS37 having more CC control than the KSP stings a bit.

Also, unrelated, but does any one else find it funny/weird that they gave the Keystep 37 a "Major 11" chord?? I heard it in Loopops demo (excellent as always) and had to do a double take. Since when is that thing lol? Maj#11 would have made a lot more sense from a musical perspective. If you could make inversions with the chord types, I could understand the choice. Albeit, still kind of left-field, but at least some useable chords could be made that way. A Root pos. "Maj 11" chord is just plain nasty sounding haha! At least to me it is.
Old 25th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
Keystep37 is not remembering the user chord after powering down. is there something i need to do? there is a chord there, but not the last one i recorded.
in fact it does not memorise inversions after power down. (if Arturia are interested in fixing this)

got used to it being around after a couple of months. would still like them to sort out the editor a bit. and a couple of things such as displaying what the CCs are assigned to. the LED dimmer that is on the KS32 isn't offered for the 37 afaik (off to check if there's been an update).
Old 4th May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Issues with Realtime recording and extra notes being played.

Hi
is anyone having problems in real time recording mode where extra notes are playing on release but not being there when the loop plays back?
Or just extra notes being triggered while overdubbing or recording in real time?
Im on my second keystep 37 and its displaying the same behaviour which makes it unusable for me in my intended use ie playing live and generating sequences on the fly.
Anyone ?
Old 4th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes1957 ➡️
Hi
is anyone having problems in real time recording mode where extra notes are playing on release but not being there when the loop plays back?
Or just extra notes being triggered while overdubbing or recording in real time?
Im on my second keystep 37 and its displaying the same behaviour which makes it unusable for me in my intended use ie playing live and generating sequences on the fly.
Anyone ?
I've found the timing of the arpeggiator to also be very difficult for reliable real-time playing. Disappointed that it's so badly implemented, as even my ancient microKORG is leagues ahead!
Old 9th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head
Maybe a Keystep 37 owner can tell me if it is possible to set the root note for a User scale? The manual states that you can do this for the three predefined scales (Major, Minor and Blues) however it doesn't say if this can also be done for the User scale. Thanks!
Old 14th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullHQX ➡️
Maybe a Keystep 37 owner can tell me if it is possible to set the root note for a User scale? The manual states that you can do this for the three predefined scales (Major, Minor and Blues) however it doesn't say if this can also be done for the User scale. Thanks!
I haven't made a user scale but the root note is set by holding shift and picking a note. This should work with user scales as well, but maybe not?
Old 15th July 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
https://www.thomannmusic.com/arturia...ck_edition.htm

Looks like the black edition is on the way. Not seeing on the major US sites yet, but it is listed at Thomann, Andertons & Gear4Music.
Old 17th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
hopefully they'll update the editor for the occasion.
and firmware, so it can store inversions.
Old 21st July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➡️
I haven't made a user scale but the root note is set by holding shift and picking a note. This should work with user scales as well, but maybe not?
Thanks, however meanwhile I've bought a Keystep 37 (Black!) and as you already doubted this, it indeed can't be done that simple. So you can only quickly define a root note with the three baked scales (major, minor and blues). If you need to change the root note of the user scale, you can't change it on the fly, as the function uses the same key as the user scale! So the workaround is to set up the user scale keys to reflect the correct root note. This seems a bit of an oversight of Arturia. I rather had them remove the blues scale to free up a key to make this happen.

Still, it's a nice piece of gear, albeit at the expensive side.

The black version is nice btw. It was the same price as the white one.
Old 21st July 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I already own a KeyStep 37, but still plan to purchase a black version.
Old 9th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
@ Arturia : how about giving a few more user chord memories?

Last edited by ibtl; 9th August 2021 at 09:06 PM..
Old 10th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxH003 ➡️
I already own a KeyStep 37, but still plan to purchase a black version.
I just got the white one as a placeholder.
Old 3rd March 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
ughh... serves me right

i just bought a KeyStep 37 because i was tired of having to set the KS32 to a lower octave all the time to get to the lower C for triggering drums on the MC-707, etc. i figured the KS37 starts on C so i'll be fine, right? lol, **** no. the low C on the 37 is the same as the one (C3?) that's in the default range of the KeyStep 32. now i really need to have it set an octave down all the time. didn't expect that. haven't hooked it up to the software, but i'm assuming that the position of middle C can't be changed (didn't see anything in the manual)?
Old 3rd March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
ughh... serves me right

i just bought a KeyStep 37 because i was tired of having to set the KS32 to a lower octave all the time to get to the lower C for triggering drums on the MC-707, etc. i figured the KS37 starts on C so i'll be fine, right? lol, **** no. the low C on the 37 is the same as the one (C3?) that's in the default range of the KeyStep 32. now i really need to have it set an octave down all the time. didn't expect that. haven't hooked it up to the software, but i'm assuming that the position of middle C can't be changed (didn't see anything in the manual)?
Try the MIDI control center program or whatever from Arturia. There is a Transpose Center Pitch option... but I'm not sure what that does.
Old 3rd March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
An enhancement to the firmware that would make the KS37 an instabuy for me, something I mentioned in an earlier post, would be to have the ability to use the chord feature as input to the arpeggiator, meaning the notes in the generated chord get arpeggiated.

Doing so would allow for instant changes to arpeggiation by using the various chord features like velocity or knob control of the chord size, changing strum, etc.

Presently it works the other way--the arpeggiator output becomes input to the chord feature, so you end up with an arpeggio of chords.
Old 3rd March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Try the MIDI control center program or whatever from Arturia. There is a Transpose Center Pitch option... but I'm not sure what that does.
thanks, but that's just for transposing the sequencer. there's also a setting for the "0 CV MIDI note", but i don't think that'll do it.
Old 14th May 2022
Gear Addict

anyone know if you can use another keyboard to trigger the sequencer/arp on the keystep? i see theres midi in on the keystep but the manual doesnt mention anything about being able to do this fwict.
Old 28th May 2022
Here for the gear

How do you know when the sequence start?

I always start realtime record playing an 8 step sequence at for example step 3 and forwards so my sequenc stops at step 2.

But when i change the sequence to only 4 steps it does not contain my four first steps.

Because the keystep doesnt highlight when the sequence start / is on step1.
Old 6th August 2022
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
hi guys i have this one, i have my switchs in Usb mode to sync my ableton bpm with my microcosm, but , i cannot off the arp and seq lol . anyone can help??
📝 Reply