The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep 37
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
So if you want to use the Keystep as a pad based drum/samples pattern sequencer, you have to pay $ 399, to get the Keystep Pro…even if you don’t need the extra 4 tracks and the extra connectivity and the features of the Keystep Pro. Even the knobs of the Pro work differently than on this Keystep 37. And to me the knobs of the Keystep 37 it looks like they have better functionality as midi cc controllers. So, the solution is to get both!

I know, I know, we can’t complain for the price, but who is talking about the price? Why Arturia don’t make a Keystep 37 as it is but with the pad based drum step sequencer of the Keystep Pro for about 299? Why Arturia don’t give solutions for guys who just want to use the Keystep step sequencer only with a DAW, without to use hardware gear?

Seriously, what other options we have on the market today, meaning to have a pad based step sequencer into a portable midi keyboard controller, there is no other option with exception the Novation SL MK3, which has a limited 16 steps step sequencer and you have to pay the same price an you would pay for an entry level Korg hardware workstation.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Why aren't these in black from the start? Why do I have to wait for some bs "limited edition"?
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman ➡️
The keystep 32 and 37 have the same key size, right?

May I ask if somebody could measure the key size (width, length) of the keystep from the black and white keys exactly? I don't find any information about this and would like to know if they are the same or larger than my current micro keys. Prefered when messured in mm for comparision, but inch works too.

I compared the korg microKey and NI m32 key size already here, in case someone is interested. Do Korg microKey and NI M32 have the same micro keys size?
Sorry for pushing...

It would be so awesome if somebody could measure their keyStep key size precisely (32 or 27 doesn't matter). I can't check the keyStep out in a shop and would like to know how the slim keys compare to other micro keys in size.

NI m32:
white keys: 19mm wide, 89 mm deep
black keys: 8 mm wide, 57 mm deep

Korg micoKeys
white keys: 19mm wide, 81 mm deep
black keys: 8 mm wide, they fall off at an angle starting at 45mm (top of key) to 50mm (bottom of key)

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 ➡️
So if you want to use the Keystep as a pad based drum/samples pattern sequencer, you have to pay $ 399, to get the Keystep Pro…even if you don’t need the extra 4 tracks and the extra connectivity and the features of the Keystep Pro. Even the knobs of the Pro work differently than on this Keystep 37. And to me the knobs of the Keystep 37 it looks like they have better functionality as midi cc controllers. So, the solution is to get both!

I know, I know, we can’t complain for the price, but who is talking about the price? Why Arturia don’t make a Keystep 37 as it is but with the pad based drum step sequencer of the Keystep Pro for about 299? Why Arturia don’t give solutions for guys who just want to use the Keystep step sequencer only with a DAW, without to use hardware gear?

Seriously, what other options we have on the market today, meaning to have a pad based step sequencer into a portable midi keyboard controller, there is no other option with exception the Novation SL MK3, which has a limited 16 steps step sequencer and you have to pay the same price an you would pay for an entry level Korg hardware workstation.
There are no pads on the KeyStep Pro, you mean the 16 step buttons? If you want to sequence rhythms with pads that's where the BeatStep Pro comes in.

Wait, are you the one who also wishes that polysynths also had their own built-in drum machine? The weird thing about that, and why you won't find it, is that you want just a built-in backing rhythm, like an old school organ I guess, whereas everyone else wants entire backing tracks, rhythm, bass, harmony, etc. That's why you end up with the "over specified" for your tastes 4/5 parts synth/sequencers like the KeyStep Pro or JD-Xi/JP-X.

In other words, you're in this oddball zone where you want more than just the keyboard part without going all the way to a full musical arrangement.

Your best bets are to just get a dedicated drum machine/controller and sync it up to your keyboard, or go all the way and embrace something that does more than you need.

If you're the person I think you are anyway. If I mistook you for someone else never mind the above

edit: wait, actually, I think what you want to do is program rhythm tracks with a keyboard?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, I found messurements.
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...tep_key_width/

So Korg microKey, NI m32 and Keystep seems to have pretty much the same key width for black and white keys. Just the key length for black/white keys is about 7mm shorter for the microKey. But the distance from the front tip of the white key to the start of the black keys is also about the same.

In case this is interesting for someone.

Last edited by AreYouHuman; 20th September 2020 at 11:56 PM..
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
There are no pads on the KeyStep Pro, you mean the 16 step buttons? If you want to sequence rhythms with pads that's where the BeatStep Pro comes in.

Wait, are you the one who also wishes that polysynths also had their own built-in drum machine? The weird thing about that, and why you won't find it, is that you want just a built-in backing rhythm, like an old school organ I guess, whereas everyone else wants entire backing tracks, rhythm, bass, harmony, etc. That's why you end up with the "over specified" for your tastes 4/5 parts synth/sequencers like the KeyStep Pro or JD-Xi/JP-X.

In other words, you're in this oddball zone where you want more than just the keyboard part without going all the way to a full musical arrangement.

Your best bets are to just get a dedicated drum machine/controller and sync it up to your keyboard, or go all the way and embrace something that does more than you need.

If you're the person I think you are anyway. If I mistook you for someone else never mind the above

edit: wait, actually, I think what you want to do is program rhythm tracks with a keyboard?
Why it is odd to ask for more features? I’m talking about the buttons of the Keystep Pro, to be implemented and into this version for drum pattern sequencing, and Arturia to charge a little bit more, let’s say, $ 299, instead of the current price. This looks odd to you?

And as for the Polybrute, I was talking about some more practical things, so instead to sync your drum brute, to have an implemented analogue drum Maschine inside the Polybrute, why is this odd? A guy who has the Polybrute and he wants to jam with his friends why it is odd to not mess around with extra cables, extra gear and extra connections?

Even in the studio for live jamming why it is odd to have all your tools ergonomically convenient in front of you instead of moving your body 2 meters away too touch your drum machine, because the Polybrute is a little bit big, am right?

If convenience and practical things look odd to you, then ok, I agree, this is odd…

Anyway, when it will be available I will get the Keystep 37, it offers a lot for the price and I love and the design, it looks very pro and pleasant …
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Few peoples ask me about the chords mode and the quantizer interaction , so I did this little video to show it, I hope I'm clear enough and that it can help.

Last edited by L de Leonard; 29th September 2020 at 09:10 PM..
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is there any advantages (apart the price) of the keystep 37 over the pro? I can only find the strum option that the Pro doesnt have
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf ➡️

Why aren't these in black from the start?
White looks better on the bespoke butcher's block desks of Instagram hipsters.
Old 11th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how are the Keystep 37's holding up after the honeymoon?
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A family picture for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Keystep 37-keysteps.jpg  
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
Size is what puzzles me: it's barely smaller
perhaps there is another side to it.. keystep fits easily into a carry-on baggage type bag or case, while keystep 37 with its 55cm is a maybe. regulations say 55cm for external dimensions, this means you will at best put it into something thats gonna come out with 58cm or so. might be a problem, or not at all. i flew with 104hp euro case that was 56cm external ..

with that said, i dont care much about the chord function, like the added midi cc pots, this is what i hoped for, the power switch the big USB connection, the 5pin din midi, all big pluses in my mind.

i do wish they at least incrementaly updated the CV portion. for example by adding another assignable CV out, and allow choice for the potentiometers to be either midi cc or CV out (with dc source 0-5 or +/-5v), so you could tweak something right from the keystep.

to be honest, was fine with 32 keys too. its like the smallest ideal playable size, for bass lines..

ditto on waiting for the black versions... i am definitely getting the Pro, and am in a dillema btwn the regular and 37. my old white keystep died just like that. arturia isnt the most solid builder of things, but at least htey are cheap enough. if youre going on a tour,,id definitely recommend getting a backup too. cheers
Old 15th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does the 37 have unquantized recording like the Pro?
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
would be nice to have more user chord memories.

how come it can run off USB 5v, but needs a 12v 1.5A PSU ? (not supplied, so you need to source that separately.)
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there still no 'auto-sync' option? meaning if there's no sync coming via f.e. usb when set via the DIP switches, does it still not stop, revert to internal sync and wait for a PLAY command?

and revert back to external sync when present?

on the original, the sequencer just did not play when no sync was coming in, i had to change the tiny DIP switches on the back for this, this which was the only reason i did not keep mine.

If Behringer implements this in a just better way, Arturia should totally copy that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
would be nice to have more user chord memories.

how come it can run off USB 5v, but needs a 12v 1.5A PSU ? (not supplied, so you need to source that separately.)
It may work with a 5V PSU.
Why don't you try it?
If you have a 5V PSU, you should be able to try it right away.
It should work with the PSU on your smartphone.

MICROFREAK is 12V PSU.
However, it also works with USB.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k ➡️
It may work with a 5V PSU.
Why don't you try it?
because i ain't bought one yet
Old 28th December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Question about the arpeggiator for Keystep 37 owners: if get an arp going in pattern mode, what happens if you switch arp modes and then back to pattern mode. Does it keep the same pattern or generate a new one?

Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Just Bought One

I wasn't even paying attention to the Arturia KeyStep series.

This weekend I wanted a portable midi controller or small portable synth with keys to go with my portable setup (MPC 1000, IK Uno Drum, Uno Synth, Dave Smith Evolver, Behringer Pro-1 and Model D).

This jumped out as one of the few ones with CV control out.

It also has 16 (4 banks of 4) CC controls.

And it has a midi in and out. DIN in addition to the USB.

I didn't really want or care about pads.

Size: Should fit in a backpack or small bag. Solid build.

The main deciding factor for me was that no other midi controllers of this size had all the ins and outs I wanted. Most just have a USB connection. They also didn't have the chord and arpeggiator functions this has. The strum looks cool, although a couple youtube reviewers were overusing it.

I have lots of larger size synth and sampler keyboards. Nords, yamahas, kurzweils, ensoniqs, korgs, rolands, etc. I have no shortage of keyboards to use to control midi.

But I wanted something I could easily move around, sit in front of a laptop, sit in front of a desktop synth, and make quick work of.

Other Ones I Looked At:
M-Audio Axiom Pro 25 - Kind of chunky in size, no CV outs, more control knobs,
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32 - Implementation with Komplete/Kontakt looks cool, keyboard is fair quality, but no ins or outs. Just usb.
Alesis V25 - good but meh. only usb
Nektar IMPACT LX25+- looks kind of like the Axiom, but only USB
Novation Launchkey - usb, small midi out adapter

The Arturia controllers have the most Ins and Outs, fairly solid build, and have extra features (chords, arps, strum, etc.)

If your studio is centered around Komplete or Ableton then there are better options.

However, if you want to use your portable midi keyboard with hardware and independently of a laptop/tablet, then the Keystep appears to be one of the best choices.

The keystep 37 is only $40 more than what the original keystep still sells for.

I hope future versions have more CV outs, some voltage regulation options, maybe an LED or even 2 digit display for each knob, ...

I'm hoping it can save CC values if I take the time to setup all 16 (4x4banks).
Old 16th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Question for Keystep 37 owners: when you use chord mode with the arpeggiator, what happens? Do arpeggiated chords come out, or do the notes in the chord coming from the chord mode get arpeggiated?

For example, if you select Major as the chord type, and play middle C with the arpeggiator on. You either would get a C major chord over and over, or C-E-G arpeggiated. Is this a switchable option?

Loopop only briefly showed the arpeggiator running with chord mode on in his review, and the arp played the chords. But I wonder if there's a setting to send the generated chords into the arpeggiator, so the notes in the chord are arpeggiated. This would allow for single-key arpeggios (a bit like strum but with all the arp patterns and mono notes that would work over CV as well as on monosynths), plus the chord size + chord velocity control could make it easy to change up arpeggios on the fly quickly. That would be killer. Maybe, if it doesn't have that, I could run the chords through my MicroFreak's arpeggiator to generate arps from them, but being able to do it from one piece of hardware would be nice.
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Say I set the chord to play 2 octaves.

If I turn the arpeggiator on to the 1/up first setting, and hold down two keys, it switches from one chord to the other chord and back again. The chords are playing back and forth.

Not sure if that makes sense? Or answers your question?

It's pretty cool. So far I'm liking it. Still gotta read through the rest of the manual.

I'm testing it with a uno synth run through some guitar pedals.
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A ➡️
Say I set the chord to play 2 octaves.

If I turn the arpeggiator on to the 1/up first setting, and hold down two keys, it switches from one chord to the other chord and back again. The chords are playing back and forth.

Not sure if that makes sense? Or answers your question?
Sounds like the flow is keyboard->arpeggiator->chord feature. So entire chords come out of the arpeggiator based on the held keys.

I was wondering if there is a setting (maybe in the MIDI Control Center) that allows the notes in the generated chord to be arpeggiated. So, keyboard->chord->arpeggiator. Then a single key could play an entire arp, and the velocity or notes knob could add/remove notes from the arp as it plays.

Just downloaded the manual, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
excruciating dilemma over whether to get the - smaller, could fit in current scheme - regular Keystep, or splash a bit more and get the extra features of the 37, and it goes a little bit oversize. (it's a width thing. do i need midiCC generators on this?). i have real use for a little on-the-fly sequencer, arp, chord generator.
(what about comparative connectivity?)

?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
why not?
Gear Maniac
I was in this same predicament a couple weeks ago.

I chose the 37. The original is a little more portable, but I rarely fly on planes, and usually bring more than just a carry on when I do.

It's about 21.5" long.

The 4x4 assignable knobs as CC controllers makes it worth it over the original before even factoring in the strum and chords. The strum actually works very good for certain kinds of synth sounds. For guys like me who are not pianists, the chord feature is helpful. I had seen Illmind use a software chord program and was impressed, but having it built into a hardware keyboard is even cooler.

I paid $169 + tax. Got over $5 cash back through befrugal. My referral link: befrugal.com/rs/XBKQSKB/ The cash back amounts fluctuate daily. I got 3% cash back from Guitar center. Now it is 2% cash back from musician's friend and guitar center. Also works on ebay but not reverb. Also, I think I've actually collected over $100 in cash back through this particular one called BeFrugal. Just have to turn off my adblockers during the shopping spree for it to work. The cash back helps me fund patch cables and midi cables and accessories.

The price difference between the older, slightly more portable model and the newer model with extra features and 4 extra rotaries is only about $50.

The rotary dials on the keystep 37 feel solid compared to the uno synth's dials i control with it.

Also, I like the LED's blinking above the keys during playback. It helps you visualize what you already have programmed into a sequence. The original did not have the visual LED feedback.

The only real reason I can give you to get the original over the keystep 37 is if portability is very important. If you are getting on airline flights often or backpacking. The keystep 37 can fit in a backpack, but it is a tight fit. And if portability or desk space does not matter to you at all, then just get a larger midi controller such as the keystep pro or many other options for 49 or 61 keys.

As far as width on a desk or table, it's about the same width as my korg minilogue xd and sits perfect in front of it. It is only an inch or two wider than the behringer pro-1 and a couple inches wider than that compared to the behringer model-D. It's about the same width as my MPC 4000.

To answer someone else's question. The keystep 37 feels solid. It doesn't feel like it is going to break. If i dropped it on to a hard tile or concrete floor, a corner might crack. The bottom is solid metal and the cover feels like hard sturdy plastic. I imagine it is more solid and heavier than an akai mini or an m-audio or most other small portable keyboard controllers.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
excruciating dilemma over whether to get the - smaller, could fit in current scheme - regular Keystep, or splash a bit more and get the extra features of the 37, and it goes a little bit oversize. (it's a width thing. do i need midiCC generators on this?). i have real use for a little on-the-fly sequencer, arp, chord generator.
(what about comparative connectivity?)

?
Connectivity is the same, except that the USB connector type is different. I have the original Keystep and love it. For me, it's already about as wide as I would like for a portable/compact keyboard controller, but YMMV. The additional features of the 37 wouldn't be enough to justify the additional width for my purposes, but everyone has to weigh the tradeoffs for themselves. I do like the settings-indicator LEDs that are unique to the 37, but really, the original is so simple to operate that I don't find I ever really need visual feedback of the few settings that exist. That's what I love about it - it's a very focused device in a compact form factor with a good feature set for the price. The 37 appears to stay true to that ethos with a few added features if you can afford the additional width.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
thanks: both of those arguments are precisely where i'm at with this :-)
initial trigger was seeing lots of 2nd hand as new keysteps - but really not much benefit when you factor in postage that you get free when buying new.

i built a little shelf-rack-tower thing here, and made it at 540mm internal width, whereas just a little over 550mm would have made it possible to chuck an ABS case in there - wasn't the aim, but i should have thought of it.(my new plan for home comfort nice'n'tidy unobtrusive etc etc in current circs).

but i s'pose the kb does not absolutely have to fit (and then back to thinking about the 32key lol). shall ponder a little more while i scrape some more pennies together. (and then render the other 2 midi controller kb's i have here redundant)
Old 19th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 60622ed ➡️
Arturia kills it when it comes to midi controllers...Ive got keystep and BSP but I think my hearts set on adding the keystep pro, I think theyre pushing it a little at $199...I think my 49 essential with analog lab was around the same price
Keystep pro seems like the GOAT unless you want to go all in and get a Cirklon or something. 4 channels is not bad at all, but the Pro appears to have all the functionality of the 37 plus far more.
Old 19th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➡️
the Pro appears to have all the functionality of the 37 plus far more.
? got the impression that the 37 had some features lacking on the Pro ? but that will have perhaps been resolved with a firmware revision. (37 appeared after the Pro?)

in any case, is it obscene to have more than one Keystep? saw a vid today, the guy had 4 keystep32s.. not completely crazy if you want 4 channels of easy sequencing - plus the other 4, if it can do a second MIDIch.
Old 19th January 2021

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Picked up Keystep 37 a week or so ago. Awesome.

But, I'm getting WEIRD-ass behavior. Trying to simply connect it to the Sonicware Liven, and it does control it fine, until I press play on the Keystep 37... arp mode, whatever. It silences the Liven, and makes the patch unplayable from the keys. Further odd behavior-- if you hold the play button on Keystep 37, it plays the Liven's pattern, but way, way too loud.

No issues when playing the Liven from my Novation SL MK3. Only Keystep 37.

Keystep 37 also randomly has a bunch of the lights light up, when hitting a random key (even if it's just connected through USB, to the computer). I have no idea why that happens. Has anyone else experienced weird behavior like this? Thanks!

Last edited by themixtape; 20th January 2021 at 03:45 AM..
📝 Reply