The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maschine standalone - Maschine+ is here!
Old 23rd September 2022 | Show parent
dwc
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuG3nda ➡️
Hey thanks 4the link.. Took a look around.. Did not find any info.. Do not have the time tbh.. Its a specific and quite the VIP question and its of value to have this info here from a user who can confirmn..
https://community.native-instruments...aces-thread/p1
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey thanks 4the link.. Took a look around.. Did not find any info.. Do not have the time tbh.. Its a specific and quite the VIP question and its of value to have this info here from a user who can confirmn..
Then be that user

🎧 10 years
I had more time last eve, cheeked and found a thread on NI .. only one comment on sound fidelity, a user using a RME interface reported a a slightly better sound but he was vague in that statement ..

This one I missed, will look into, it cheers!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I had more time last eve, cheeked and found a thread on NI .. only one comment on sound fidelity, a user using a RME interface reported a a slightly better sound but he was vague in that statement ..

This one I missed, will look into, it cheers!
OK went through the whole thread ... its all about trouble shooting ... no talk about improved sound ..dunno

Would be helpful in the a user with experience could chime in
Old 23rd September 2022

🎧 10 years
In my real life experience the built in outputs (inputs too?) lacked a little something clarity/generally wise compared to plugging in my Iconnect 4 interface.But thats not too say that the M+ was in anyway bad at all.It sounds great.Transparent.

*Note on sound/feel of M+ not dependant on the interface-What i noticed about the general sound of Maschine+,and also using the external interface,is it sounded to me a little sweeter (hard thing to describe so…) compared to Ableton,MPC Live ect,a little stardust sprinkled over it.Cute….))Certainly a difference altho subtle which is probably why little is mentioned about it.Overall tho i would not say this is a big improvement,But was interesting to note and def ticked my ears somewhat…..MPC Live for instance is more bolder as MPCs are known for generally.M+ is a tad more sophisticated.FX are great and also more refined to the ear.If you like micro editing and subtle clarity i think the M+ has the edge on the Live (for example) All depends on what your flavour is.
Old 24th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would think the differences in sound quality are the same as with any computer audio interfaces. It is therefore difficult to answer your question. Will connecting a Mytek DAC to an M+ sound better than the internal soundcard? Most likely. Is this difference in sonics meaningful for you? How would I know?
Old 24th September 2022 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Its the ratio of improvement at hand.. can the fidelity be greatly improved is the point, .. there are other factors at play, each DAW has its coding, some sound more dynamic than others even ITB samplers running same .wav have their own signature.. May not matter as much to you as it does to me.. personally I find there is a certain zen when everything is more sonicly vibrant/dimensional , its inspiring, if things sound dull flat/thin I tilts towards fatigue

That said I am pretty set on this unit and with a ES9 and small modular .. confident it will be satisfactory ..think the workflow and plugins just shade every doubt I have about the outputs..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Its the ratio of improvement at hand.. can the fidelity be greatly improved is the point, .. there are other factors at play, each DAW has its coding, some sound more dynamic than others even ITB samplers running same .wav have their own signature.. May not matter as much to you as it does to me.. personally I find there is a certain zen when everything is more sonicly vibrant/dimensional , its inspiring, if things sound dull flat/thin I tilts towards fatigue

That said I am pretty set on this unit and with a ES9 and small modular .. confident it will be satisfactory ..think the workflow and plugins just shade every doubt I have about the outputs..
Well, I usually use an external audio interface with mine, so I have forgotten how the internal audio interface sounds tbh The reason I use an ext audio interface is because I require XLR inputs (and 48V mic pre), not primarily a sound quality concern in my case

Sounds to me like you are picky about conversion.. So maybe demo the unit first, just to see how you like it?

And you are right, the included software (more or less working Kontakt & Reaktor in a standalone box!) and the Maschine UX/workflow themselves are so awesome that those factors alone can justify owning one, at least they did for me!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
I would think the differences in sound quality are the same as with any computer audio interfaces. It is therefore difficult to answer your question. Will connecting a Mytek DAC to an M+ sound better than the internal soundcard? Most likely. Is this difference in sonics meaningful for you? How would I know?
Im just reporting on the subtle first hand user experiences of comparing the gears back and forth over a period of time with varying tweaking and coming to a conclusion.Most people wont have any view on the matter.There are pro experts that have far superior ears and descriptions of sound than me.haha.One on one sample to sample very hard to tell any difference between machines..Even between 16bit HW and SW tbh.In the end the sound from these hybrids is very clear and somewhat neutral and empty of charactor,vibe.Not much to report…..

The interesting thing is someone might find the slightly lower transparency of the built in interface pleasing and adds Mojo lol.Out of interest if someone knows of a grimey,punchy modern interface to use with M+,Live ectect please lemme know…….))
Old 24th September 2022

🎧 10 years
Oldie but goldie….

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
Well, I usually use an external audio interface with mine, so I have forgotten how the internal audio interface sounds tbh The reason I use an ext audio interface is because I require XLR inputs (and 48V mic pre), not primarily a sound quality concern in my case

Sounds to me like you are picky about conversion.. So maybe demo the unit first, just to see how you like it?

And you are right, the included software (more or less working Kontakt & Reaktor in a standalone box!) and the Maschine UX/workflow themselves are so awesome that those factors alone can justify owning one, at least they did for me!
internal audio interfaces, who said that .. WTF!?.. are you referring to algorithms .. not everything playing the same wav sounds the same ITB once you start applying the internal factors

I cant be bothered to find it, but there is an excellent vid done by a know producer that goes into detail about the characteristic, not just between HW but soft-where aswell.. its all very clearly auditable .. you can even do these test yourself..

The question is will it matter to you? sometimes the sentence the audience cant tell the difference is applied (IMO the sound will touch/vibrate the dancers regardless of them being aware of it or caring).. you can say I am being overly fanatical and that ok, yet this it matters greatly to me..

For an xsample
My 808 was music all day long, wiliest VSTs, and samples did not touch me the same way.. same for the Sp1200 its sound is authentic and inspiring, the same when you load samples into the Jomoxes, they have dimension,.. modern devices such as the Gotharams, Sp2400 all have a vibrant sound, the sp16 sounds bigger/more musical tho me vs the NuAkais or the NI machines..

Now this (although largely) isnt solely doe to the analog factor (hence the es9/eurorack plan) plenty of digital samplers with great fidelity old ASRs MPCs EMUs .. they have a deeper more pleasant low end and just more musical, more opened/airy .. they don't sound as clinically dithered..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
internal audio interfaces, who said that .. WTF!?.. are you referring to algorithms .. not everything playing the same wav sounds the same ITB once you start applying the internal factors

I cant be bothered to find it, but there is an excellent vid done by a know producer that goes into detail about the characteristic, not just between HW but soft-where aswell.. its all very clearly auditable .. you can even do these test yourself..

The question is will it matter to you? sometimes the sentence the audience cant tell the difference is applied (IMO the sound will touch/vibrate the dancers regardless of them being aware of it or caring).. you can say I am being overly fanatical and that ok, yet this it matters greatly to me..

For an xsample
My 808 was music all day long, wiliest VSTs, and samples did not touch me the same way.. same for the Sp1200 its sound is authentic and inspiring, the same when you load samples into the Jomoxes, they have dimension,.. modern devices such as the Gotharams, Sp2400 all have a vibrant sound, the sp16 sounds bigger/more musical tho me vs the NuAkais or the NI machines..

Now this (although largely) isnt solely doe to the analog factor (hence the es9/eurorack plan) plenty of digital samplers with great fidelity old ASRs MPCs EMUs .. they have a deeper more pleasant low end and just more musical, more opened/airy .. they don't sound as clinically dithered..
Well, fwiw I cant really find much "vintage digital" sort of charm in Maschine+. It's not a coloured sound at all. I think you will just need to hear one before deciding its for you or not.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
no he's referring to M+ internal AD/DA converters. that's what plays a big part in overall sound quality. But yes DAWs also have various summing engines & samplers their own playback/detune algorithms and EG curves that can also shape sound.

Quote:

old MPCs EMUs & ASR used top notch AD/DA converters and were the pinnacle of sampling technology. SP1200/S2400/SP16 have analog filters which also help warm up the sound.

expecting any of that from M+ is rather unrealistic imo. NI aren't really renown for their warm vintage analog sound but rather neutral modern German sound.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
no he's referring to M+ internal AD/DA converters. that's what plays a big part in overall sound quality. But yes DAWs also have various summing engines & samplers their own playback/detune algorithms and EG curves that can also shape sound.

old MPCs EMUs & ASR used top notch AD/DA converters and were the pinnacle of sampling technology. SP1200/S2400/SP16 have analog filters which also help warm up the sound.

expecting any of that from M+ is rather unrealistic imo. NI aren't really renown for their warm vintage analog sound but rather neutral modern German sound.
Thanks for the reply xanax.. And yhea as previously mentioned the plan is to go with M+ and a ES9 eurorack IO.. Running a bunch of VCF/VCA that can be driven to color/ tone shape/ saturation along with some other FX and euro mojo..

Problem is I am losing portability fast here.. I am constantly travelg non stop and I actually need a system that fits in a large backpack (suitcase is not an option)..

Might just hold off and try Renoise again it sounds very good: open clear punchy.. Much better than the big boy DAWs I have loaded and completely keyboard operated.. Something very raw about it...

The problem with Renoise is that learning it ts exactly like chasing excel copies spitting out of a photocopier with unlimited paper availability that is stuck on a 150 copies a minute indefinitely
Old 18th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m interested in the plus mainly to be used to record midi then audio loops of hardware synths. And then simple sample playback drums. Probably some vst instruments but not much. My question is whether all the crashing I hear about happens if I keep cpu usage way low, or if it still crashes anyways. Any info here would help. Otherwise I might try the mpc live 2. Opinions?
Old 18th December 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Get a proper sd card, see no crashes
Old 18th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf ➡️
Get a proper sd card, see no crashes
That’s it? For real?
Old 18th December 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For real for real. People don't read.
Old 19th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There have been some disgruntled reports concerning the latest OS update tho, maybe postpone updating if you already havent

M+ taking a long time to shutdown, a new issue, manifests after updating to 1.4.4

In other news, NI are saying VST3 support for M+ standalone is coming in 2023. That means we're getting a headless port of Kontakt 7

On the speculation front, NI sent an in depth "feature priority" survey to all Maschine users in Q4, many of the long requested Mas features were specifically asked about.. This is just wishlisting from me but there might be a snowballs chance in Hell NI might address some of the longtime user requests in the near future.. Maybe Maschine 3.0 is coming?
Old 19th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone know if maschine plus and all maschines automatically cut audio clip recordings at zero crossings? Ableton does this. Seems like mpc live 2 does not.

Basically recording a preset number of measures, will maschine have snaps at the beginning or end of the recording?
Old 19th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer ➡️
Anyone know if maschine plus and all maschines automatically cut audio clip recordings at zero crossings? Ableton does this. Seems like mpc live 2 does not.

Basically recording a preset number of measures, will maschine have snaps at the beginning or end of the recording?
Mpc live 2 have the zero crossing option , by pressing shift in the sampler.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymind ➡️
Mpc live 2 have the zero crossing option , by pressing shift in the sampler.
Looks like the shift just gets you to the page where you have to still find the crossings manually.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I think Ableton just adds tiny fade ins/outs to the looped clip. You can actually disable this IIRC

If ableton actually cropped your samples at zero crossings, you'd probably run into small timing errors, where a loop supposed to be exactly xxx.xx BPM would be off ever so slightly.

Not sure if Maschine does the same? Resampled loops dont seem to click on playback, if that's what you are asking
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Looks like the shift just gets you to the page where you have to still find the crossings manually.
Nope, you missed the last step; shift gets you to the page where you turn zero crossings on or off. If you turn them on at that page your chops will be adjusted to zero crossings. You have to enable it there and then re-chop or autochop again and it will snap to zero
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlfish ➡️
Nope, you missed the last step; shift gets you to the page where you turn zero crossings on or off. If you turn them on at that page your chops will be adjusted to zero crossings. You have to enable it there and then re-chop or autochop again and it will snap to zero
Thanks for the info. But I’m no so interested in chopping up samples, mainly I wanted to record full multi measure loops / clips. And it seems there is no zero crossing function for this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Who many presets does Massive have? Since you can't make your own sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedgin ➡️
Who many presets does Massive have? Since you can't make your own sounds.
You can save presets, you just cannot access all the Massive parameters inside M+ standalone. There are loads of pathes though, and you can get millions of patches for free online, these can be copied to your SD card like usual. Hell, I've even bought some Massive packs from loopmasters when they have BF sales
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Some things like Replika don't work in standalone mode, is that right?

Is the CPU that weedy or what?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedgin ➡️
Some things like Replika don't work in standalone mode, is that right?

Is the CPU that weedy or what?
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...-plus/compare/

whatever has a * next to it will not work in standalone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It can't handle a delay
📝 Reply