The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maschine standalone - Maschine+ is here!
Old 18th December 2021 | Show parent
dwc
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️
I cant even play the sample songs without CPU crunch, glitch or overload.

WTF.
They really could have done a better job with that. Even some of the kits in the expansions struggle. They built this stuff with a desktop in mind.

I'm scrolling through faded reels. Some of those groups have an absurd amount of effects. There's a kit called "play date kit". Load it and M+ is sitting at 50% CPU when idle. Go up to the group and there's several plugins loaded and sitting at 100% dry. Remove those and it's down to 30%.

I'd find this kit when looking for drums. It has 6 drum sounds and a sound effect I'd keep. I'd remove the other stuff. It drops to 5% after doing that. If someone loaded that kit and just used the drums but didn't remove the other stuff; they're wasting 45% of the CPU for literally nothing.

I understand why they'd put these effects on the group. I understand why they'd have a group using 12 reverb inserts. That doesn't work well on M+

People would be mad if they didn't allow these kits on M+. They'd be mad if they changed the kits on M+. We have people saying M+ can't handle more than a few groups; probably because they don't realize a bunch of stuff is using CPU for literally nothing. Tough position for NI to be in. Maybe they could update all of the expansions with 'lite' versions of any kit that uses more than 20% cpu idle.
Old 18th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc ➡️
They really could have done a better job with that. Even some of the kits in the expansions struggle. They built this stuff with a desktop in mind.

I'm scrolling through faded reels. Some of those groups have an absurd amount of effects. There's a kit called "play date kit". Load it and M+ is sitting at 50% CPU when idle. Go up to the group and there's several plugins loaded and sitting at 100% dry. Remove those and it's down to 30%.

I'd find this kit when looking for drums. It has 6 drum sounds and a sound effect I'd keep. I'd remove the other stuff. It drops to 5% after doing that. If someone loaded that kit and just used the drums but didn't remove the other stuff; they're wasting 45% of the CPU for literally nothing.

I understand why they'd put these effects on the group. I understand why they'd have a group using 12 reverb inserts. That doesn't work well on M+

People would be mad if they didn't allow these kits on M+. They'd be mad if they changed the kits on M+. We have people saying M+ can't handle more than a few groups; probably because they don't realize a bunch of stuff is using CPU for literally nothing. Tough position for NI to be in. Maybe they could update all of the expansions with 'lite' versions of any kit that uses more than 20% cpu idle.
It's long been a habit of mine to "purge" a loaded group as soon as I've found the sounds I need by quickly tapping redundant pads while holding SHIFT + ERASE. Keeps things lean, the difference in CPU load is real
Old 2nd February 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Compatibility with Interfaces

Hey y'all I'm a Maschine+ early adopter cause, like others have said, DAWless was always how I preferred to go. So despite it's shortcomings, I'm in heaven. I've never had such an amazing sounding standalone box with so many great effects and mixdown tools...sidechain comp, sidechain gate, transient designer?! Love 'em!

But it's been a bummer trying to determine which audio interfaces will work with this thing over USB.

My goal is have my Maschine+, a digital mixdown engine, my hardware, and my DAW all connected digitally with only one ADC/DAC point. And that is near impossible because of Maschine+ USB interface compatibility.

Has anyone gotten Maschine+ to talk to a Behringer X32 over USB? This would instantly solve my problem because I could get all my hardware and Maschine+ routed through an X32, and then pipe it over multitrack to my DAW for recording using the AES50 ports and a converter.

Any successful stories of X32 connection over USB???
dwc
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDroid ➡️
Any successful stories of X32 connection over USB???
There was a thread on the old forum for people to list the interfaces they tried.

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...rfaces.429397/

A few mentions of behringer gear.

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...=post&o=date&c[thread]=429397
Here for the gear

Quote:
There was a thread on the old forum for people to list the interfaces they tried.

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...rfaces.429397/

A few mentions of behringer gear.

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...=post&o=date&c[thread]=429397
Thanks. Yeah, I saw that discussion.
The two Behringer units listed as working were the X-Air 18 and the UMC1820 which are ok in their own right but the X-Air has no other digital connectivity so my DAW is cut out of the mix, and the UMC1820 has no built-in mixer functions for my other hardware like comp/limiter/eq, etc.
Old 11th February 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how are you M+ owners dealing with the lack of PDC (plugin delay compensation)? i'll have to check further, but i tried something quick last week or so which showed me that even adding a stock NI fx to one of the slots introduces latency that throws off the timing. (this was on the computer, i'm assuming it's the same with the M+.)

try this:

load up the same 1-bar loop on two instrument pads. trigger them so that they both play/loop together. they should be perfectly locked, sample accurate every time they loop. no phasing/flamming, it's basically just louder/doubled. now drop a stock fx onto one of them and mute/disable it, then play them again. hear that? that's what's happening with every track, more and more, every time you load fx onto each pad/group.

this is ridiculous, 10+ years later and now with a standalone unit. on the other hand, i wouldn't be surprised if pretty much every hardware device is like this and nobody ever notices. (??) try it with an MPC or whatever you've got.
Old 11th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
how are you M+ owners dealing with the lack of PDC (plugin delay compensation)? i'll have to check further, but i tried something quick last week or so which showed me that even adding a stock NI fx to one of the slots introduces latency that throws off the timing. (this was on the computer, i'm assuming it's the same with the M+.)

try this:

load up the same 1-bar loop on two instrument pads. trigger them so that they both play/loop together. they should be perfectly locked, sample accurate every time they loop. no phasing/flamming, it's basically just louder/doubled. now drop a stock fx onto one of them and mute/disable it, then play them again. hear that? that's what's happening with every track, more and more, every time you load fx onto each pad/group.

this is ridiculous, 10+ years later and now with a standalone unit. on the other hand, i wouldn't be surprised if pretty much every hardware device is like this and nobody ever notices. (??) try it with an MPC or whatever you've got.
Just tried this on my M+ and I am unable to reproduce your experience. I loaded a stock loop, duplicated the sound, and tried with both a gate plugin and a transient shaper plugin, and I couldn't get the sounds to phase out.. toggling bypass on/off introduced no issues either.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
Just tried this on my M+ and I am unable to reproduce your experience. I loaded a stock loop, duplicated the sound, and tried with both a gate plugin and a transient shaper plugin, and I couldn't get the sounds to phase out.. toggling bypass on/off introduced no issues either.
sorry, it looks like a number of the stock fx may be zero latency, and/or i think bypassing them may zero it out if there is any (i think that's what it's doing?). ...or try 'Dirt' if you have it (i think this has a few ms of latency), engaged, but set to 100% dry. should sound the same, but it's phasing. try stacking some fx on one of the duplicate pads and switching them on/off (bypass) or setting them to 100 % dry.

when i was doing this in Maschine, i also loaded the same NI fx into a channel in Ableton which *does* have working PDC (i must not have been using the stock Maschine fx but NI Komplete fx as they could be loaded in both). in Ableton the plugin latency was compensated for and the two samples stayed locked.

checking again now... yes, just drop 'Bite' (or any third party VST that you know reports latency to the host, a lot are zero latency and won't be a problem) onto one of the pads and set it all the way Dry (looks like bypassing it will zero out the latency). you should see/hear what i'm talking about.

if/once you do (this is a known problem either way, i didn't just make this up)... this is just one instance of two tracks with just the latency of one plugin added to it. the only reason we can really hear it is because it's a duplicate/clone sample. with anything else you might not hear it, but it's there. now picture that every one of your tracks/pads are shifting back and forth by ms here and there every time you load or bypass a plugin that exhibits latency on one of the pads/groups/master.

i guess nobody really notices it? if you're running a lot of loops where they all trigger on the first beat (or any on the same beat) you're going to hear it at least a little bit. the transients are probably phasing all over the place... but is this how everything is anyway? is this even worth thinking about?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
sorry, it looks like a number of the stock fx may be zero latency, and/or i think bypassing them may zero it out if there is any (i think that's what it's doing?). ...or try 'Dirt' if you have it (i think this has a few ms of latency), engaged, but set to 100% dry. should sound the same, but it's phasing. try stacking some fx on one of the duplicate pads and switching them on/off (bypass) or setting them to 100 % dry.

when i was doing this in Maschine, i also loaded the same NI fx into a channel in Ableton which *does* have working PDC (i must not have been using the stock Maschine fx but NI Komplete fx as they could be loaded in both). in Ableton the plugin latency was compensated for and the two samples stayed locked.

checking again now... yes, just drop 'Bite' (or any third party VST that you know reports latency to the host, a lot are zero latency and won't be a problem) onto one of the pads and set it all the way Dry (looks like bypassing it will zero out the latency). you should see/hear what i'm talking about.

if/once you do (this is a known problem either way, i didn't just make this up)... this is just one instance of two tracks with just the latency of one plugin added to it. the only reason we can really hear it is because it's a duplicate/clone sample. with anything else you might not hear it, but it's there. now picture that every one of your tracks/pads are shifting back and forth by ms here and there every time you load or bypass a plugin that exhibits latency on one of the pads/groups/master.

i guess nobody really notices it? if you're running a lot of loops where they all trigger on the first beat (or any on the same beat) you're going to hear it at least a little bit. the transients are probably phasing all over the place... but is this how everything is anyway? is this even worth thinking about?
Ahh okok so you meant third party plugins running in Maschine desktop.. Yes, those probably introduce unwanted issues as indeed Maschine has no PDC. But AFAIK this is never a concern with M+ since it only occurs with plugins not native to the Maschine environment itself.. And M+ is only conpatible with the internal stuff..

I'm not sure a plugin called "Dirt" exists in Maschine natively...?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
Ahh okok so you meant third party plugins running in Maschine desktop.. Yes, those probably introduce unwanted issues as indeed Maschine has no PDC. But AFAIK this is never a concern with M+ since it only occurs with plugins not native to the Maschine environment itself.. And M+ is only conpatible with the internal stuff..

I'm not sure a plugin called "Dirt" exists in Maschine natively...?
'Dirt' is the NI distortion fx, like 'Bite' (i actually was using this one) and 'Choral'. i guess M+ doesn't have those yet? actually, i just tried it with 'Raum' reverb and that's working perfectly.

try it with the stock Maschine 'Limiter', one of the stock fx that (must?) have latency. that does it, but i'm not sure if the signal is actually ever "dry" (not sure where to set the threshold) so that might be it too.

this is good news really, right now i can't "break it" with any of the stock NI fx so i might be good otherwise. i'll have to set up something a little more "scientific" to check further.
Old 12th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
'Dirt' is the NI distortion fx, like 'Bite' (i actually was using this one) and 'Choral'. i guess M+ doesn't have those yet? actually, i just tried it with 'Raum' reverb and that's working perfectly.

try it with the stock Maschine 'Limiter', one of the stock fx that (must?) have latency. that does it, but i'm not sure if the signal is actually ever "dry" (not sure where to set the threshold) so that might be it too.

this is good news really, right now i can't "break it" with any of the stock NI fx so i might be good otherwise. i'll have to set up something a little more "scientific" to check further.
Ok then, I'll try this with the limiter plugin and will report back
Old 15th February 2022
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So experienced users why is drag and drop midi so messed up? What is the best workflow for moving into your daw, I don’t really want just audio at the start of a project, so work flow would be very helpful and thank you.
Old 21st February 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So, I keep getting these really hinky ads in my Facebook feed offering a Maschine+ for US$99.

Please reassure me this a total scam before I set my $100 bill on fire and throw it out my speeding car window...
Old 21st February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica ➡️
So, I keep getting these really hinky ads in my Facebook feed offering a Maschine+ for US$99.

Please reassure me this a total scam before I set my $100 bill on fire and throw it out my speeding car window...
yeah. probably a scam. Mashcine+ costs a lot more than that.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip ➡️
So experienced users why is drag and drop midi so messed up? What is the best workflow for moving into your daw, I don’t really want just audio at the start of a project, so work flow would be very helpful and thank you.
I have been using Machine of about 15 years. It works the way it works. My take on it is Maschine was primarily a tool targeted at the EDM and hip-hop music maker who would work within the confines of how Maschine software and hardware work like together. It is a tool capable of much more and i use it for much more, but once you try to step away from the confines of Maschine it gets to be a bit of a pain. The way I work is I work projects in Maschine as far as I can get them, and then export the audio out into a DAW for further work. I don't bother with any mixing or effects in Maschine as it all gets done later on in the DAW. That being said, Maschine software is a very capable software and depending on what style of music you can complete entire songs with in.
Old 21st February 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've always liked the Maschine workflow, and can live with most of the limitations. Only the lack of poly aftertouch makes it hard for me to fully appreciate the Maschine+ these days. More minor niggles include me wishing I didnt have to use a computer to setup custom midi CC controls, but I can live with that, and I love the recording of such parameters and the ability to store and then morph between different CC values over time. I need to spend more time on that stuff, effectively giving a bunch of hardware synths the ability to morph between setting in a way that ends up not entirely dissimilar to the Arturia PolyBrute.
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
I have been using Machine of about 15 years. It works the way it works. My take on it is Maschine was primarily a tool targeted at the EDM and hip-hop music maker who would work within the confines of how Maschine software and hardware work like together. It is a tool capable of much more and i use it for much more, but once you try to step away from the confines of Maschine it gets to be a bit of a pain. The way I work is I work projects in Maschine as far as I can get them, and then export the audio out into a DAW for further work. I don't bother with any mixing or effects in Maschine as it all gets done later on in the DAW. That being said, Maschine software is a very capable software and depending on what style of music you can complete entire songs with in.
Thank you and yes Maschine is very inspiring - the video help with my set up issues - some of them were Cubase related, other just buried deep in the interface.
Old 25th February 2022
Gear Nut

hi guys, could you please tell me what you think about it?

I own this maschine plus, maschine + , since few days/weeks, and I have some bugs I've already seen on forums, but I wonder if some are '' normal'' or not and should need a return replace as long as I can :

1-Let's begin with more usual, crackling sound, fortunatly I've already see the audio trick to restart the engine...it also happend during playing pads, playback etc...I'm not the only one.

2- This one I've seen it on reddit and the personn did a replacement : A freeze during a project loading.
Then it reboot after a minute or two. Usually the next load are ok, but not everytime, and it already happened during a save.

3- I often have my timeline locator that disapear... on the patern, event, song etc...I see ''N/A master'' displayed instead of bar numbers as soon as i turn the 4D knob.
The fix I found is to exit and to randomly navigate between menu tabs on the left. It become a reflex.

4-Not sure if it's a bug or normal, or my fault, but I can't play a sound from the AUDIO PLUGIN on a pad if I hit the play button. It cut the sound immediatly. I can record it ( with no audio from speakers) And after that it will play once I hit the play button. Confusing and not ideal to compose...

5-More a help/request than a bug, but HOW THE HELL COULD I PLAY A LONG SAMPLE ( a 2mn full accapella rap ) FROM ANYWHERE ON THE SONG without using a pc?!
From now I put it on a clip on the finished song, But have to listen all time from the beginning when I whant to hear the audio...

I tried a lot a things tricks and tweaks, but nothing seems to work, all the time something goes wrong or is not compatible.

I tried to slice it a lot ( sticked to 16 because of the pad limit) thought to use the generated patern to play it at once like the original, but of course it's not ok because maschine put it on a pattern with not the suitable length, so the audio from each events are overlapping one after each others ( in one shot mode ) or are truncate ( in ADSR )

Manually arrange such a long vocal pattern in standalone would be a nightmare from my experience. Am I missing something ?

Thank you.
Old 25th February 2022 | Show parent
dwc
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by latoxine ➡️
I own this maschine plus, maschine + , since few days/weeks, and I have some bugs I've already seen on forums, but I wonder if some are '' normal'' or not and should need a return replace as long as I can :
1. That's a thing. Make sure you have all updates; but several seem to run into it often.

2. I've never experienced this specific issue; but the stability used to be horrible. It was pathetically bad. Make sure you have all the updates.

3. I believe this is a known bug. The knob seems to lose focus if you go into any area where you're naming/renaming something.

4. That's how the audio plugin works. It will play the loop if the project is playing. If the project isn't playing, you can press the pad to play the loop. If you want to sequence it or play with the pads, turn it into a sampler module and set it to adsr/oneshot/ahd or whatever. If you load a sound and it loads in an audio module; you can press the knob and turn it into a sampler module.

5. Put it in an audio module and a clip that extends the length of your track. Just understand that you'll need to work in the arranger/song view instead of ideas view. It will play the same way an audio track in a daw would play.
Old 26th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
1. That's a thing. Make sure you have all updates; but several seem to run into it often.

2. I've never experienced this specific issue; but the stability used to be horrible. It was pathetically bad. Make sure you have all the updates.

3. I believe this is a known bug. The knob seems to lose focus if you go into any area where you're naming/renaming something.

4. That's how the audio plugin works. It will play the loop if the project is playing. If the project isn't playing, you can press the pad to play the loop. If you want to sequence it or play with the pads, turn it into a sampler module and set it to adsr/oneshot/ahd or whatever. If you load a sound and it loads in an audio module; you can press the knob and turn it into a sampler module.

5. Put it in an audio module and a clip that extends the length of your track. Just understand that you'll need to work in the arranger/song view instead of ideas view. It will play the same way an audio track in a daw would play.
Thank you,

I think everything is up to date, as it's something I often check.
FW etc...The maschine version is 2.14.4, Ive seen a 2.14.7 but I think it's for the software version.

I'm thinking about reset the maschine.

3-yes I also noticed the NAME/RENAME bug, with a second cursor appearing, and yes after that you know the timeline will be bugguy, but it also happen to me without using that.

PS : Nobody has found a solution for playing a long sample from anywhere ?
Old 20th March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Autosampler Coming

This looks exciting.

Old 20th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixizmo ➡️
This looks exciting.

Indeed. 1.4 was supposed to drop already, but NI said they found a last minute bug before releasing so now things are postponed by a week or two.
Old 25th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
2- This one I've seen it on reddit and the personn did a replacement : A freeze during a project loading.
Then it reboot after a minute or two. Usually the next load are ok, but not everytime, and it already happened during a save.
Not an M+ owner (yet?), but something in the back of my brain is saying that this might be a bad SD card. Be sure to use only legit name-brand SD cards in any device. There are a lot of counterfeit and just poor quality cards out there causing trouble.
Old 25th March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
NI gave a new ETA on the 1.4 - They are hoping to release it next Monday
Old 31st March 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Question! I don't see where there's a dedicated Flatten Pad function. Would you just use the internal sampler with he Detect mode and copy the resulting sample back to the original pad?
Old 1st April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hi guys, could you please tell me what you think about it?

1-Let's begin with more usual, crackling sound, fortunatly I've already see the audio trick to restart the engine...it also happend during playing pads, playback etc...I'm not the only one.

3- I often have my timeline locator that disapear... on the patern, event, song etc...I see ''N/A master'' displayed instead of bar numbers as soon as i turn the 4D knob.
The fix I found is to exit and to randomly navigate between menu tabs on the left. It become a reflex.

4-Not sure if it's a bug or normal, or my fault, but I can't play a sound from the AUDIO PLUGIN on a pad if I hit the play button. It cut the sound immediatly. I can record it ( with no audio from speakers) And after that it will play once I hit the play button. Confusing and not ideal to compose...

5-More a help/request than a bug, but HOW THE HELL COULD I PLAY A LONG SAMPLE ( a 2mn full accapella rap ) FROM ANYWHERE ON THE SONG without using a pc?!
From now I put it on a clip on the finished song, But have to listen all time from the beginning when I whant to hear the audio...

I tried a lot a things tricks and tweaks, but nothing seems to work, all the time something goes wrong or is not compatible.

I tried to slice it a lot ( sticked to 16 because of the pad limit) thought to use the generated patern to play it at once like the original, but of course it's not ok because maschine put it on a pattern with not the suitable length, so the audio from each events are overlapping one after each others ( in one shot mode ) or are truncate ( in ADSR )

Manually arrange such a long vocal pattern in standalone would be a nightmare from my experience. Am I missing something ?

Thank you.
Regarding the long sample/acapella: try chopping into 4/8/16/32 bar slice on separate pads. Then sequence the pads to play when you want them to on time/on the downbeat.
Old 1st April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica ➡️
Question! I don't see where there's a dedicated Flatten Pad function. Would you just use the internal sampler with he Detect mode and copy the resulting sample back to the original pad?
Yes, that's one one to do it (or, resample to another pad). There's no dedicated "flatten" pad.

Resampling is your friend on M+. I do it all the time to reduce CPU load, make variations and commit ideas to audio fast.
Old 6th April 2022
Gear Nut

Going to try and revisit the Maschine+ if I can grab one today while it’s on sale and available local. Found as much as I love having a collection of synths, a few standalone groove boxes are better for me. Off loading some stuff and adding it to my MPC Live. Hopefully autosampler comes soon, as that is a big selling point for me.
Old 6th April 2022
Gear Nut

Interesting experience with Guitar Center today

Lol, so 3 machines 3 sold as new, all 3 were actually open box and one wasn’t even a + in the box, but an Mk3. None could be registered. All looked brand new on the outside, 4 trips to different stores throughout Atlanta. 100+ miles driven.

At this point, Native Instruments owns a large part of the blame for their registration system. A piece of hardware should not need to be unregistered. They need to be doing what Akai does, and allow the same piece of hardware to be registered an infinite number of times. It’s a huge ****ing piece of equipment, not software you can pirate.

A new one should be here tomorrow. I’m done with guitar center, and part of me wants to cancel the order and be done with NI. That would only hurt me, though, as I know I’ll enjoy it once it works.
Old 8th April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Df music ➡️
Interesting experience with Guitar Center today

Lol, so 3 machines 3 sold as new, all 3 were actually open box and one wasn’t even a + in the box, but an Mk3. None could be registered. All looked brand new on the outside, 4 trips to different stores throughout Atlanta. 100+ miles driven.

At this point, Native Instruments owns a large part of the blame for their registration system. A piece of hardware should not need to be unregistered. They need to be doing what Akai does, and allow the same piece of hardware to be registered an infinite number of times. It’s a huge ****ing piece of equipment, not software you can pirate.

A new one should be here tomorrow. I’m done with guitar center, and part of me wants to cancel the order and be done with NI. That would only hurt me, though, as I know I’ll enjoy it once it works.
If you do decide to keep it, I recommend doing these things before you start using the unit:
• Update M+ OS, M+ firmware (must be updated by your computer) and all the updatable plugins under SETTINGS / Library
• Toss the POS microSD card (+microSD adapter) that comes with M+ and replace it with a decent branded U3 SD card (using Kingston myself)

After that is done, make sure you can load a Reaktor instrument or effect into a project and have it still make sound after reloading the project. If you get no sound from Reaktor plugins after project reload, contact support; they need to manually sort out your Reaktor licence authorization details.

Doing all these things will ensure the best possible experience with the M+ from day one
📝 Reply