The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments "End Of Life"'s legacy products
Old 23rd July 2020
Native Instruments "End Of Life"'s legacy products

I just learned that in moving to my "new" computer I cannot activate my Komplete Ultimate library because it has been "End Of Life"'d

Is this even legal? How can a company say "you can't use a product you paid for because we decided it is too old"

I was mid project and having computer issues, so I can't use the old system to wrap up projects.

What do I do about recalling older projects?

I can't just upgrade because the main room I work out of is running Mavericks and PT 10 TDM, so I need to use a compatible version with both rooms.

Why do companies think they have the right to snatch away products that customers have already paid for? Would it cost them so much to keep the activation server still running? To me this is a strong case in favor of iLoks, I don't think I'll ever trust a self-activating company again.

Here is the page where Native Instruments tells us that they're no longer going to honor activating software:

https://support.native-instruments.c...ts-End-of-Life

Last edited by phoenixsoap; 23rd July 2020 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Added link
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
All your answers are in here,

https://support.native-instruments.c...ts-End-of-Life

It might not be the answers you want, but the explanation of why is in there.
Old 23rd July 2020
I don't see anything there that says a justification. It is obvious to me: they are forcing people to pay them more money. And it's going to work on me with a caveat

Perhaps a week ago I had decided I was going to upgrade to the current version because I was using it so much. I was going to do so happily, and continue recommending it to probably a client/intern a week. Instead now a client is paying for the upgrade and I'm going to tell this horror story to anyone who asks
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don’t believe it would matter if it was on an ilok, it has to do with updating them for new operating systems.

But I agree it sucks. I find many of their still active plugins almost unusable, (or at least very not-fun to use) on my 27” iMac due to their non-scaleable size.
Old 23rd July 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld ➡️
I don’t believe it would matter if it was on an ilok, it has to do with updating them for new operating systems.
I wish it were as you described. I am running a slightly out-of-date OS that is compatible with this version. the problem is that they have taken their old activation servers offline so while the software is compatible with my system it will not run because it will not authorize.

This is something I would only expect from a business that has gone out of business
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I guess they just want to continue killing consumer confidence in their products and company. I decided to pull the pin on them when they pulled the pin on B4 and I am glad I didn't waste any more money upgrading all the stuff I bought from them.
Old 23rd July 2020
There was a substantial thread about this here.

Yeah, it's disappointing. Personally I think they should release unlocked versions or even open source the stuff if they abandon it since they have given up making money on it at that point anyway. But it's their business and their decision, also their risk in terms of customer satisfaction and brand loyalty.

Personally I won't buy anything that requires online activation or iloks or any of that crap any more. It just punishes legit users and seems to do nothing to stop cracked versions appearing anyway. My lesson has been learnt. That said, no matter what you do, eventually there will come a time when the software won't be migrated to a new OS or new hardware architecture and it'll eventually die. That's just the way it is with software.
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
You CAN activate your Komplete Ultimate with Native Access. You're on Mavericks (10.9), which is still supported through a legacy version of Native Access available here:

https://support.native-instruments.c...s/360000407909
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
You CAN activate your Komplete Ultimate with Native Access. You're on Mavericks (10.9), which is still supported through a legacy version of Native Access available here:

https://support.native-instruments.c...s/360000407909
This is not true. I tried that, it doesn’t activate any of the instruments I need. It only activates some of the 3rd party instruments. This is also in their press release linked in my op.

Yeah this has been a real wake-up call for me to never buy products that need activation. It took me from NI being one of my favorite companies to never-buy-again status

The strange thing is that the software is so close to being naturally end-of-lifed Via becoming out of date that they wouldn’t have had to do anything — plenty of their customers would have happily upgraded.

Do they know their customers at all? Do they know we often have clients wanting to re-open old sessions???

Not to be a Kevin but I’m looking into a class action suit because I’m sick of searching forums for workarounds for corporate robbery
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

The Kevin is strong with this one

I’m not saying NI should support old ass software but I do think this has been poorly managed. Can’t go back in time and maybe the support burden is really high. This is why I like hardware.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

I’m not saying NI should support old ass software but I do think this has been poorly managed. Can’t go back in time and maybe the support burden is really high. This is why I like hardware.
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
kevin and karen

two names destined for the history books
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And who knows if this is going to happen a few years ahead to someone who has KU12 ?
I mean, who knows if further down the line they will decide to change the activation protocol again, or decide that certain products which are now kinda new - will be discontinued?
Old 23rd July 2020
Deleted cc546d2
Cough cough Kore 2 cough cough
HSi
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cc546d2 ➡️
Cough cough Kore 2 cough cough
Isn't that just Komplete Kontrol though? I often see people harping on about how amazing it was like some kind of Wonder Device made from the DNA of Bob Moog, Dave Smith and David Bowie.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsoap ➡️
it doesn’t activate any of the instruments I need
Which ones do you need, then? You only mentioned Komplete Ultimate. Ultimate started with Komplete 8, and Native Access can totally activate that (in fact, it can activate all Kompletes as far back as Komplete 5). If you have problems with activating it, contact NI support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
And who knows if this is going to happen a few years ahead to someone who has KU12 ?
Not gonna happen any time soon. Again as mentioned above, NA can still activate Komplete 5, which is 13 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi ➡️
Isn't that just Komplete Kontrol though? I often see people harping on about how amazing it was like some kind of Wonder Device made from the DNA of Bob Moog, Dave Smith and David Bowie.
Nope, there are lots of differences. Kore 2 does things KK can only dream about
Quote:
Which ones do you need, then? You only mentioned Komplete Ultimate. Ultimate started with Komplete 8, and Native Access can totally activate that (in fact, it can activate all Kompletes as far back as Komplete 5). If you have problems with activating it, contact NI support.

Not gonna happen any time soon. Again as mentioned above, NA can still activate Komplete 5, which is 13 years old.

I need Session Strings, Vintage Drummer, Alicia's Keys, and The Giant. but ALL of my Kontakt library instruments are in demo mode after trying what you and NI suggested.

Native Access can NOT activate that. Maybe it says that it can on their website but it most certainly does not work for me. I'm not sure what you and they are smoking but I want some.

I finally heard back from NI today -- they say that they are overwhelmed with service requests and did not give me any assistance.

I think at this point a legal firm would salivate at this potential for a class action suit right? You can't just take a product away from someone who has paid for it. I did not sign an EULA at time of purchase, only when installing the software. I think this is the kind of thing class action lawsuits were designed for. Any lawyers out there? Screw it I'm calling one now
Quote:
Uh EvilDragon you WORK for Native Instruments?!?!?!?!!? and you're here trolling me!! I CONTACTED support. They won't do a thing for me. You work for them, and you're here posting but didn't say that. That feels sketchy to me.

This company gets more and more sketchy

Here is "EvilDragon" with the same post sending more people off to waste their time on the Native Instruments website:
https://www.native-instruments.com/f...-5-6-8.326727/
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Addict

Yeah, Gearslutz really should require people to disclose that kind of affiliation in their signature or avatar.

It's an ongoing pattern of anti consumer practices from NI. They jerked me around once so I know that part. An absolute maze of rude people that leads nowhere. But I'm not a pro and it didn't effect my bottom line or reputation. I think you have every right to be dissatisfied based on what you've told us.
Deleted cc546d2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi ➡️
Not even close to being komplete kontrol. Komplete kontrol has maybe 5% of the power.
Deleted cc546d2
Quote:
Uh EvilDragon you WORK for Native Instruments?!?!?!?!!? and you're here trolling me!! I CONTACTED support. They won't do a thing for me. You work for them, and you're here posting but didn't say that. That feels sketchy to me.

This company gets more and more sketchy

Here is "EvilDragon" with the same post sending more people off to waste their time on the Native Instruments website:
https://www.native-instruments.com/f...-5-6-8.326727/
I think, and may be wrong, that evil dragon was an independent contractor who did work scripting for kontakt libraries. That doesn’t make him an employee of NI, nor does being a forum moderator.
HSi
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I'll look for it later on youtube, I must unravel the mystery.
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I do miss kore

Eh oh
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I need Session Strings, Vintage Drummer, Alicia's Keys, and The Giant. but ALL of my Kontakt library instruments are in demo mode after trying what you and NI suggested.
I have all of those libraries activated through NA just fine (and many other people too), so this issue is not at all linked to the Service Center end of life.

You have a different issue altogether - the libraries you listed are not discontinued at all, and are still supported (well they're all in the most recent Komplete still, so they HAVE to be activatable).

I am trying to help here, not troll you, but your tone and ad hominems makes me not want to help anymore.
Quote:
I have all of those libraries activated through NA just fine (and many other people too), so this issue is not at all linked to the Service Center end of life.

You have a different issue altogether - the libraries you listed are not discontinued at all, and are still supported (well they're all in the most recent Komplete still, so they HAVE to be activatable).
But I'm dealing with multiple versions. I do my sessions out of a studio running PT 10 on 10.9. At home I'm running Mojave. Both OS's run 5.6.6 quite fine, but the one at the studio cannot run 5.8.6.

When I try to install the 10.9 version on my home computer (the one that won't load the libraries now) it auto-updates to the current version which (very stupidly) cannot activate those products.

Essentially I am married to this version of Kontakt until I can manage to update our "A" room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega ➡️

They don't need to "support" the old software. They just need to provide a path through their anti-piracy protection.
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
OK, now we're getting somewhere - a bit more useful info, thanks! Also I assume when you said 5.8.6, you meant 5.6.8 because 5.8.6 never existed (last Kontakt 5 version is 5.8.1).

Indeed, Kontakt 5.6.6 is the last version supported on macOS 10.9. This is as suspected not at all related to Service Center end of life. However, a change in Kontakt did happen between 5.6.6 and 5.6.8 that removed built-in SC authorization from Kontakt's own Libraries tab in 5.6.8 - handing it over entirely to SC (now EOL) and NA.

I will forward this thread to my pal from NI support and he'll take a look at it in the morning (it's 10.30 PM on this side of the pond), ok? It would help if you could PM me the support ticket number(s) you already opened with NI regarding this!
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Nice work E.D
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cc546d2 ➡️
I think, and may be wrong, that evil dragon was an independent contractor who did work scripting for kontakt libraries. That doesn’t make him an employee of NI, nor does being a forum moderator.
You're not wrong and I still am freelancing Kontakt scripting. More recently also doing work for NI (Modular Icons, Lo-Fi Glow, for example). I have many friends there - but I am not a NI employee in any of their offices, I work from my home here in Croatia.

There you go, full disclosure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not gonna happen "any time soon" only means it's gonna happen at some point.
📝 Reply