Quantcast
Dreadbox & Sinevibes = Typhon - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dreadbox & Sinevibes = Typhon
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are there any deck savers available for the Typhon yet?
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos ➡️
From the presets I have heard, I could probably use them for days before I dive into programming...
I ordered mine in September and it arrived two weeks ago. The presets are nice, but even using the sequencer is going to make you want to edit them, and initializing patches will take you to fascinating realms. Creating sounds is not going to feel difficult once you get used the sequencer because voice and effect programming work seamlessly with it. It can feel like the voices and routing are an expression of the sequence. And if you use a DAW, you'll definitely get into the sequencer because there's no USB sync yet.

The filters are gorgeous, but even they have idiosyncratic ways of working with the oscillator blends. I actually thought that the res filter was light until I understood how differently it works depending on what wave combinations and modulator targets you choose.

Some stock patches function as great suggestions for approaches you might not have tried. The percussive patches, for example, made me aware of what a cutting techno noise box the Typhon can be -- something I'd never say about the Moog Sirin even though both synths can fill out some of the same frequency ranges and registers (yes, I own both). The Typhon is the best of two mono-mini-analog worlds: it has the rounded lows of the Sirin and the quirky bite of the SE-02, and it's paired with very usable effects.

I've been using my Typhon at my grillfiend's place on weekends, with only a PC laptop running Reaper and a mini audio interface. When I'm able to use it with my real setup over the holidays, I'll compare the Typhon with onboard effects and external ones. I'll also run samples through the input just to see what the filter section and hairspray sound like with other sources.

Unless you're going to connect it to a MIDI keyboard and play while thinking purely in terms of harmony, melody and part writing, I'm guessing you'll have too much fun creating and modifying sounds to stick with the stock programs. I've had to remind myself to focus on writing music because I get so distracted by the programming/sonic capabilities of this gorgeous-sounding device.

One cosmetic annoyance: Mine came with glaring scratches on the center VCO knob. It makes me feel self-conscious, as though I'm out on a date after breaking my nose in a skiing accident. I'm talking to Yianni about replacing that knob, but I'd love to find really sturdy, correctly sized metal ones with which to replace every knob on the Typhon, so that everything feels as solid as the metal chassis.
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
Are there any deck savers available for the Typhon yet?
There's no Decksaver cover so far, but I've been looking for a case, since I take mine to my fiancee's apartment every weekend. The scratch on my Typhon's VCO knob does worry me. I don't want to acquire other scratches myself.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Hi guys,

I got a reply from Dreadbox regarding my issue of noise when powering via my PC.....

" You are probably connecting Typhon in a way that a ground loop is created. This is stated online, please check on the Manual , paragraph 2, " POWERING CONSIDERATIONS". "

Which hasn't helped me much tbh as I don't have this issue with my DS synths or my Virus Snow.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulintent ➡️
Hi guys,

I got a reply from Dreadbox regarding my issue of noise when powering via my PC.....

" You are probably connecting Typhon in a way that a ground loop is created. This is stated online, please check on the Manual , paragraph 2, " POWERING CONSIDERATIONS". "

Which hasn't helped me much tbh as I don't have this issue with my DS synths or my Virus Snow.
If you connect through a powered usb hub it will likely clear up your noise issue. It has to be powered though.
ah ok, I'll give that a try. Cheers
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
USB groundloop noise & synths

i thought id chime in & share my experiences with USB powered/MIDI’d synths;

it seems a lot of the noise issues you’re talking about, they sound like ground loop problems. the best way to eliminate them would be to use a good quality USB cable but more importantly, a connection that isn’t directly in contact with your audio interface (ie via your computer USB ports). ive always found the best results via an AC to USB adapter or a USB power bank

as for MIDI over USB, if you’re getting noise problems, you might have to use old school 5-pin MIDI cables.

i don’t have a Typhon (but it’s on my list! v interesting, but ive been through similar noise problems with an Arturia Microfreak. and also with a DSI Tempest (for MIDI over USB). i don’t think ive noticed the same problems with Roland Boutiques, but they’re entirely digital, aside from the final DA conversion.

it probably also makes a difference on whether or not the synth’s outputs are balanced or not!

anyway, just chiming in to say it’s not a unique issue with the Typhon by any means. so id investigate powering separately to your computer, and consider old school MIDI cables.

PS im not an expert on ground loops. but they’re generally caused by the power circuit leaking into your audio. and the best way to avoid that is to keep your power as separate from your audio as possible
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samtastic ➡️

i don’t have a Typhon (but it’s on my list! v interesting, but ive been through similar noise problems with an Arturia Microfreak. and also with a DSI Tempest (for MIDI over USB). i don’t think ive noticed the same problems with Roland Boutiques, but they’re entirely digital, aside from the final DA conversion.
It seems to me that if every cheap Behringer synth can work noise free with midi over USB in the exact same system that there is something off in the design of a synth that can't.
Why advertise a synth as having midi over usb coming soon if it's impossible for anyone to use it that way without an unacceptable noise floor?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➡️
It seems to me that if every cheap Behringer synth can work noise free with midi over USB in the exact same system that there is something off in the design of a synth that can't.
Why advertise a synth as having midi over usb coming soon if it's impossible for anyone to use it that way without an unacceptable noise floor?
I tend to agree with you. One difference between this synth and the behringers is “power” over USB as well - I assume this adds some extra complication.

However, Roland TB-3 (digital guts) does but MIDI and power over USB without any additional noise.

I’m sure it can be achieved.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazlermac ➡️
I tend to agree with you. One difference between this synth and the behringers is “power” over USB as well - I assume this adds some extra complication.

However, Roland TB-3 (digital guts) does but MIDI and power over USB without any additional noise.

I’m sure it can be achieved.
A lot of people are complaining about usb noise with the boutiques as well..
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe some of those audio decoupling transform things would do the job?
Old 7th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here's a brief article with one of those USB isolators. Who wants to give it a go? Or who is already using something similar?

Regarding Behringer's clones, are the outputs balanced, i wonder? it might also come down to the difference in manufacturing one in China and the other in Greece, in the sense that labour is cheaper in China so the circuit design can afford to be more time-consuming to assemble...?
Old 7th December 2020
Old 11th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The issue with the internal sequencer running when the Typhon is sequenced from an external source is now fixed - new update 2.02 - you can choose whether the internal sequencer runs or not. Checked it this morning sequenced from my MC-707 and all works. A small update but for me a great update.
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I bought the Typhon a few weeks ago and I´m totally in love with it
like with all the other products from Dreadbox.

Never had issues with their stuff but no real power supply gave me a headache.

No Noise at the beginning using the included USB cable, but after a few days the unit started to make noise like crazy.
I powered it from my MPC one which worked perfectly.

Now i have a huge noise problem even when I plug it into the wall. (lol)
Doesn´t matter if I use a power bank or different USB cables.

It´s so loud I cant use it anymore.

I don´t think this is something that can be fixed in the future so I don´t know what to do now.

My plan was to finish a project during holiday using the typhon to the max.
(i love the FX for external gear)
Old 11th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I was going to offload my Boog since getting the Typhon but I ran the Boog into the external in on the Typhon and it sounds epic. I’ve run the Boog previously into my Pro 2 & my Dom 1 and was never that enamoured with the overall result but the Typhon seems to love audio into it. The mix of the Typhon’s sound with the Boog is amazing. The Boog stays. It also means I have a noise source for the Boog which is something I feel the Typhon missed (one of my very few criticisms).
Just need a poly now based on a similar architecture.
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Any luck with the noise issue?

I wanna buy a Typhon, but I am worried with these issues.
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
have you tried contacting Dreadbox? worrying stuff... i hope you can find an answer...!
Old 15th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurcher ➡️
The issue with the internal sequencer running when the Typhon is sequenced from an external source is now fixed - new update 2.02. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurcher ➡️
I was going to offload my Boog since getting the Typhon but I ran the Boog into the external in on the Typhon and it sounds epic. I’ve run the Boog previously into my Pro 2 & my Dom 1 and was never that enamoured with the overall result but the Typhon seems to love audio into it. . . .
Both of these posts were so helpful it took me a moment to realize they were written by the same person! Thanks, Lurcher. Perhaps there's a Poly D in my future. I wonder how the Typhon would sound inputting digital polys like the Modal Argon and Cobalt and the Micromonsta 2.
Old 15th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrypt ➡️
Both of these posts were so helpful it took me a moment to realize they were written by the same person! Thanks, Lurcher. Perhaps there's a Poly D in my future. I wonder how the Typhon would sound inputting digital polys like the Modal Argon and Cobalt and the Micromonsta 2.
I kinda think that just about anything put into the Typhon would sound great. I’m gonna try the output from my voice put through the Roland VT4 into the Typhon next. The funs in the experimenting!
Old 16th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I´m running the Wavestate into the Typhon and it turns this digital 80s machine into an epic analog sound adventure in super retro style.

Thje creamy filter + the S-curve gain distortion paired with the oldschool sounding reverb turns every casio piano sound into something epic with loads of harmonics and character.

It just sounds so frkn good.

Just make a poly together with sinevibes and you guys are up for a new classic!
Old 16th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
@ SecretSociety - spot on re a Dreadbox/Sinevibes Poly. I’ve held off on any Poly because although some are really good none of them produce a ‘wow’ for me - give me a Poly Typhon or something of that sort & I will be all over it.
Old 16th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

question for owners as i saw something that made me think twice. Dont know if I read it right or if its been fixed with a FW update.

Is the receive Midi channel saveable? I read somewhere it isnt saved, so when you turn it off and back on it reverts to "omni". Thats a huge PITA for me - would probably stop the purchase.
Old 16th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Well, I am officially a Typhon owner. My 5th Dreadbox synth. I couldn't pass up a new Typhon for $300. Hopefully it ends up a better experience than my Nyx V2, which I had to return twice due to a bootloader issue making it unable to upgrade its firmware before giving up on it (Even sending out to one of their local US reps didn't help). Fingers crossed because I do love Dreadbox. I am sad and disappointed to not have my Nyx V2 though.
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
In other, less enjoyable news, my Typhon's reverb is suddenly overpowering on stock patches in the A bank. The Typhon itself sounds thinner and the tuning is dodgy. I really don't want to have to send mine in during the pandemic, but I worry about missing the warranty period if I wait. What would cause this, I wonder? I updated the firmware, but that's a harmless process and there were no errors. Patches reflect saved settings, but I kept the sliders zeroed in the effects section while loading just in case something had changed with the update.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrypt ➡️
In other, less enjoyable news, my Typhon's reverb is suddenly overpowering on stock patches in the A bank. The Typhon itself sounds thinner and the tuning is dodgy. I really don't want to have to send mine in during the pandemic, but I worry about missing the warranty period if I wait. What would cause this, I wonder? I updated the firmware, but that's a harmless process and there were no errors. Patches reflect saved settings, but I kept the sliders zeroed in the effects section while loading just in case something had changed with the update.
Try a factory reset (after backing up your patches obviously)
Here for the gear

thin sound and dodgy tuning sounds like a power starving issue. — usb power can be finicky (even on the same setup from one session to the next). try a different usb cable and/or usb power source.
Gear Nut
Thanks, both of you. I'll try those measures when I return home (there's a blizzard outside).

I'm using the noisy cable that shipped with the Typhon, but I'll hunt for another.

One oddity in the new firmware: the tuning/calibration option is gone. It used to come after the hardware check, but that global menu setting seems to have vanished.
Old 18th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Dear Typhon users,

Has anyone here use one of those cell phone USB to wall plug adapters to power the Typhon instead of plugging it in thru USB? Is that okay to do? Appreciate any info and help. Thanks!
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neorev ➡️
Dear Typhon users,

Has anyone here use one of those cell phone USB to wall plug adapters to power the Typhon instead of plugging it in thru USB? Is that okay to do? Appreciate any info and help. Thanks!
I use a typical iPad/ iPhone type mains charger works no problem, no noise.
📝 Reply