Quantcast
ubs2scsi - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ubs2scsi
Old 3rd June 2020
Here for the gear

ubs2scsi

I'm looking to buy a usb to scsi adapter to use with ReCycle 2.0 (windows) and my akai S1100. There are a few available on eBay. I'd appreciate advice on which manufacture\model to buy and are there any to be avoided?

After she left, I did a few things around the house she'd asked me to do to get them out of the way, showered, and threw on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. I figured I would just chill tonight and watch some TV. Lying there, I replayed Mom's words and couldn't help smiling.

I had no doubt that was Mom's green light to go for it, without being awkward about it. Her words had put me in a better mood. Because of my father's bull****, I had promised Mom that I would be better and hold to values he never had, but she had officially let me off the hook.

Not that I wouldn't have had Jen over tomorrow anyway, but Mom giving me her blessing removed any feelings that I wasn't doing the right thing https://livesex.bar/ .

She was right. I had earned it, sitting home whacking off while all my friends had already been getting laid and having fun. Even Sam, the indifferent tomboy who didn't give a rat's ass what she looked like or what people thought of her, had found guys to mess around with.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
really expensive... you can do chops other ways, and have a scsi2sd.
use soundforge or wavelab or audacity (or etc.) on your loops, extract regions to wav, chuck those on the SD card, put SD card in sampler. at least, that's the way i'd be thinking of doing it. wh do you want to use recycle2? because it exports via scsi?
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
really expensive... you can do chops other ways, and have a scsi2sd.
use soundforge or wavelab or audacity (or etc.) on your loops, extract regions to wav, chuck those on the SD card, put SD card in sampler. at least, that's the way i'd be thinking of doing it. wh do you want to use recycle2? because it exports via scsi?
Because that wouldn't work with an S1100? You can use awave to convert wav files to akai format and save that to floppy emulator images, but I don't think you can make it work with scsi2sd. You'd need to load the images from Hxc and save them to SCSI. AFAIK

My understanding is that many of the scsi 2 usb adapters are device dependent. Ie you would need to have an actual zip or jazz drive act as the intermediary rather than directly connect the sampler.

A cheaper solution might be to just find an old mac g4/g4 running 9.2 that has the proper SCSI built in and look for software to run on it. You can replace the hard drives with a CF and be pretty good to go. You'd need the OS disks...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
Because that wouldn't work with an S1100? You can use awave to convert wav files to akai format and save that to floppy emulator images, but I don't think you can make it work with scsi2sd. You'd need to load the images from Hxc and save them to SCSI. AFAIK

My understanding is that many of the scsi 2 usb adapters are device dependent. Ie you would need to have an actual zip or jazz drive act as the intermediary rather than directly connect the sampler.

A cheaper solution might be to just find an old mac g4/g4 running 9.2 that has the proper SCSI built in and look for software to run on it. You can replace the hard drives with a CF and be pretty good to go. You'd need the OS disks...
oh f*** yes oh course duh... i have Translator so i forget. have not tried towards akai though. or loading a SD as a 'virtual drive'.

amazing that these are the only options in this day&age... that's why i looked up 'emu proprietary format' the other night and just got the garbage chicksys disinformation page.

i currently use a USB Zip100 as the 'virtual drive' in Translator, and chuck stuff on there. then i have an internal zip in the (esi) emu, and load from there. i keep thinking of getting a scsi2sd but haven't got round to it yet.

with Awave, - roundabout way...- having done your chops, put them in a folder, then convert that folder to a 1-per-midikey soundfont, that you then 'translate' to akai format, and then you have a ready made program. in theory if Translator does its job.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Could you not use midi transfer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
amazing that these are the only options in this day&age
Yeah, I've hoped for a long time that one of those emulator people would get to work on a modern (working) USB to SCSI adapter. All the old ones are sort of a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll work now.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think I've got and old scsi card or two lying around somewhere if you're in uk. Dunno if they would be any good in a modern computer
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin ➡️
I think I've got and old scsi card or two lying around somewhere if you're in uk. Dunno if they would be any good in a modern computer
lol yeah me too, can't quite bring myself to bin those adaptecs. (or the other scsi stuff)(or the zip stuff...)
could just get a little old desktop PCI bus machine as a sampler server? scsi as God intended 'n' all that.

so there was MESAII by Akai, i never ran it. what does it do?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidis ➡️
Yeah, I've hoped for a long time that one of those emulator people would get to work on a modern (working) USB to SCSI adapter. All the old ones are sort of a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll work now.
more to the point, why can't we have some software where you just set up the conversion, drop it in on one side, and it comes out the other all nice proprietary intended format? with a nice UI please.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Been looking at this issue recently, in my case want to add scsi to modern pc to communicte directly to yamaha sampler, advice i received is dont bother with the scsi-USB adaptors, as has been mentioned they tend to be VERY expensive and Ive been told they often dont work properly anyway.

So Im on the hunt for an internal pci scsi card at the moemnt (with drivers that work with the OS!)- pretty cheap so if its doenst work not much invested etc.

Quote:
oh f*** yes oh course duh... i have Translator so i forget. have not tried towards akai though. or loading a SD as a 'virtual drive'.

amazing that these are the only options in this day&age... that's why i looked up 'emu proprietary format' the other night and just got the garbage chicksys disinformation page.

off topic but glad to hear im not the only one with a pretty poor opinion of chicksys- bought translator stupidly believing it would do as claimed, trying to translate between particular formats it just craps itself..
..contacting them about it, their "support" has been a bunch of rude and consdescending replies.
Would never recommend anyone buy their products.
Old 4th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKrishna ➡️
Been looking at this issue recently, in my case want to add scsi to modern pc to communicte directly to yamaha sampler, advice i received is dont bother with the scsi-USB adaptors, as has been mentioned they tend to be VERY expensive and Ive been told they often dont work properly anyway.

So Im on the hunt for an internal pci scsi card at the moemnt (with drivers that work with the OS!)- pretty cheap so if its doenst work not much invested etc.

off topic but glad to hear im not the only one with a pretty poor opinion of chicksys- bought translator stupidly believing it would do as claimed, trying to translate between particular formats it just craps itself..
..contacting them about it, their "support" has been a bunch of rude and consdescending replies.
Would never recommend anyone buy their products.
well it DOES work for me, performing ONE conversion i need. i would have liked something a bit more versatile, and i think they try to address too many formats instead of distinguishing between software and hardware.
most of it i don't need and wouldn't use. there needs to be more focus on specific hardware that people need it for, and quite often there isn't the conversion path you want. (but AWave also lack some obvious conversions)

communicating with them IS weird, and it's a strange business model. ask a question, and get a combattive response. because the UI is very unconventional. i don't know what platform it was developed for, but they could do with getting some consultancy in. then there's the authorisation paranoia, and i haven't even got it installed at the moment because i'm probably about to reinitialise my system, something that Windows10 makes me feel every other month when there's an update and something seems screwed up. i suppose if i only installed Translator to an offline machine, i wouldn't get this, but... you need to authorise online. and what if the company disappear?

it's disappointing that there's only ever negative reports about it, because i do have it working, but i can also understand why. the fact that you always have to run it in admin mode is possibly part of the problem.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i was just looking at Wavosaur this morning, little drag'n'drop, no install editor program. it's quite good! not for conversion to proprietary formats, but for chopping wavs and mp3s (not checked if it needs the LAME etc). can split, detect BPM accurately, export wavs, easy keyboard commands, always looping when adjusting markers. haven't tried adding VST plugins to it yet.
quick for things like stereo to mono conversion, or sample rate -although 32khz is not a batch conversion preset..

this whole conversion to akai or emu etc needs to be resolved. old samplers don't load wavs, and making programs onboard is a timeconsuming PITA. even soundfont editors haven't figured out how to do this quickly via drag'n'drop, it's been going on for years. not so hard, really, to have key and velocity zones to drag onto, and move them around in realtime on computer before saving the destination file format. the only software where this is even close to being able to do that is VSampler which is ancient, and has a minuscule graphic for this, and only exports to SF2 (which can then be converted to other formats via aforementioned programs). probably Kontakt too, but that costs £££/$$$/etc.

for EXMP, the interface is really cool oldskool and they've updated it for SD etc. but it's a bit inscrutable. (must have another try but i don't feel like dealing with a DOS-like interface every day)
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0YHZhZTMk
Also works on WIN10X64 with Ratoc V2.02 ASPI driver.
Only sending prom PC to S1100 works (not receiving)
📝 Reply