The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hello actual owners!

Is there a modular OSC and Filter that sound close to the ones in the 2600?

Cheers!
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kla234 ➡️
Hello actual owners!

Is there a modular OSC and Filter that sound close to the ones in the 2600?

Cheers!

Old 20th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I noticed some of you have the Antonius SidecARP.

I don't have any modular stuff, so I'm wondering, what modules are you finding useful/productive to use with the 2600?
Old 29th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Fun times with Audio Damage Sequencer 1 and the FS. Nice to have additional cv control feeding in LFO’s and cv.

Syncing to DAW for processing.
Attached Thumbnails
The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread-2600-seq.png  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years

What could be causing Oscillator 2 to have a spike in the sine wave and triangle wave?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I never had a 2600, but such spikes and imperfections are quite common in analog synths. I'd say that they are actually welcome, they are among the quirks that give each synth its character and make analog sound more "alive" and less clinical.
If all oscillators only produced perfect waveshapes, they would all sound exactly the same, and we would have a lot less to discuss in forums!

(well, now that I think of it, I'm not sure that would REALLY be such a bad thing... we could spend so much more time making music! )
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos1 ➡️

What could be causing Oscillator 2 to have a spike in the sine wave and triangle wave?
In the original 2600 there are adjustment trimpots for triangle Symmetry Adjust and sine Purity Adjust. http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Arp/Ar...p2600trims.gif

Not sure if they are on the FS or if they are accessible without taking it apart but unless it's audible I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkpirateradio ➡️
In the original 2600 there are adjustment trimpots for triangle Symmetry Adjust and sine Purity Adjust. http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Arp/Ar...p2600trims.gif

Not sure if they are on the FS or if they are accessible without taking it apart but unless it's audible I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Thanks. Yeah it's audible. Sine sounds buzzy when it has that peak. I'll take it in soon to a repair guy. Last year I had the trim pot replaced in VCO-1, it was wonky as hell.

Hopefully the repair guy can also figure out why I'm hearing noise when the reverb is just on without anything playing. I also got some weird noise coming when I play a key, but all levels are down in the filter section. I believe it's coming from the pre-amp. And I've been cranking the speakers and the metal front chassis vibrates, hopefully he can muddle that vibration. Speakers are great on it though lol
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos1 ➡️
Hopefully the repair guy can also figure out why I'm hearing noise when the reverb is just on without anything playing.
Mine had a buzzing noise coming from the reverb, like a ground loop noise or EMI. I know spring reverbs can be noisy due to the design but this was really bad. I could also hear the buzzing noise being modulated in time with the keyboard LFO.

I'm in a 220v country, but if I ran a stepdown transformer and powered the FS on 120v, the noise was still there but no longer modulated by the keyboard LFO.

I ended swapping out the reverb tank and it's nice and quiet now. I used an Accutronics 4EB3C1B which I had seen recommended as a drop-in replacement earlier in this thread.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkpirateradio ➡️
Mine had a buzzing noise coming from the reverb, like a ground loop noise or EMI. I know spring reverbs can be noisy due to the design but this was really bad. I could also hear the buzzing noise being modulated in time with the keyboard LFO.

I'm in a 220v country, but if I ran a stepdown transformer and powered the FS on 120v, the noise was still there but no longer modulated by the keyboard LFO.

I ended swapping out the reverb tank and it's nice and quiet now. I used an Accutronics 4EB3C1B which I had seen recommended as a drop-in replacement earlier in this thread.
Thank you very much for providing the type of reverb tank. I was actually trying to find the page where it was mentioned because I remember people complaining about it and reading how Korg sent replacements. This is great to know.

I had a great Japanese repairman here in Brooklyn correct my VCO issue and I can order this tank and have him replace it and correct my other issues. It's hard to find someone who solely works on synthesizers these days. I was lucky there was someone knowledgeable here. The first shop didn't do anything (Davidson Electronics) and charged me a lot. The place has a great online reputation but they had no clue what to do with it. I took it back to them a second time and they still couldn't fix the VCO drifting issue. They are mostly a guitar amp repair place.

When I finally took it to Main Drag, they had this Japanese guy who only worked on synths and he saw the issue right away. Luckily Korg was able to reimburse me for the charges from the first shop that failed to fix it.

Thanks again for the tip on the tank!
📝 Reply